The Queen is Dead!: Katherine of Aragon dies in 1518

Therein lies the rub. The current case has the grace of being understandable. But there is plenty of room for latter-day misuse of said power...
Yes, but Henry's not thinking that straight. That's for Lionel and his descendants to figure out, when the horror of the current case has died down over a generation or so...

I need it to be legal for mentally unstable people to be tried and punished according to their crimes the same way those who were sound of mind would be. You will draw this law up immediately, and implement it from the morrow.”
Couldnt he draft a law where the murder of a member of the royal family needs to be tried and punished regardless of the perpetrators state of mind?such a revision seems resonable since regardless of the motive they have committed treason against the crown and need to be punished

Last edited:
Couldnt he draft a law where the murder of a member of the royal family needs to be tried and punished regardless of the perpetrators state of mind?

Yes, he could, but that would be too subtle even for this Henry - and for me, when I first started this story (I was still in high school when I started this story - it's been great fun coming back to the universe after not having touched it since about 2015...also a nice break from the much more complex Tudors AU I've been working on on and off since I finished the base story for this one...)

Is the New Law written specifically for Bessie or for anyone who commits crimes when mad like she did?

Boiling? That is a really unpleasant way for someone to die.

Hopefully Henry won't fall into the trap of thinking everyone around him is a potential Bessie Blount and start purging the Court...

I'm surprised that with Henry VIII's classical knowledge that he didn't go with Scaphism. Well at least boiling will be quicker than that, or flaying, or any one number of horrible ways to die that Henry could have cooked up.

I'm surprised that with Henry VIII's classical knowledge that he didn't go with Scaphism. Well at least boiling will be quicker than that, or flaying, or any one number of horrible ways to die that Henry could have cooked up.

As I don't know what that is, and have no desire to investigate and give myself nightmares, he's not going with that...

Is the New Law written specifically for Bessie or for anyone who commits crimes when mad like she did?

Boiling? That is a really unpleasant way for someone to die.

Hopefully Henry won't fall into the trap of thinking everyone around him is a potential Bessie Blount and start purging the Court...

Well, that's the problem. Henry is focusing on Bessie, but he's written a much more general law than that...

As I don't know what that is, and have no desire to investigate and give myself nightmares, he's not going with that...

Well, that's the problem. Henry is focusing on Bessie, but he's written a much more general law than that...
For better or worse, laws have a way of outliving their framers...

I'm surprised that with Henry VIII's classical knowledge that he didn't go with Scaphism.
Although this torture method is mentioned in Shakespeare's The Winter's Tale, I don’t think it is best placed in this period of time.

Where as boiled her alive in a big bowl of hot water is quiet fitting, although it was used for people who have attempted to murdering someone. Burning at the stake is usually reserved for heretics.

Although this torture method is mentioned in Shakespeare's The Winter's Tale, I don’t think it is best placed in this period of time.

Where as boiled her alive in a big bowl of hot water is quiet fitting, although it was used for people who have attempted to murdering someone. Burning at the stake is usually reserved for heretics.
Or women who were guilty of High Treason...

Or women who were guilty of High Treason...

I've heard that women could be convicted of 'treason' against their husband for things like adultery. The idea was this treason to a husband was equivalent to a subject's betrayal of their Lord, thus warrenting the same punishment.

I've heard that women could be convicted of 'treason' against their husband for things like adultery. The idea was this treason to a husband was equivalent to a subject's betrayal of their Lord, thus warrenting the same punishment.
I'd read that too...

Yer when Anne Boleyn was found guilty of adultery, because it was against the king, her husband it was elevated to treason.

It was regarded as petty treason, not High treason, but I think you're right. Of course, what Bessie's done is high treason anyway, so it makes no odds here. She's boiling alive for her crimes and Henry will hang the consequences.

For those who can't wait for Henry and Marie to reconcile, they're getting there, I promise. It's still something of a rough ride, but they're getting there...

“You mean, is she to be hanged, drawn and quartered?” Henry paused, then laughed; a dry, mirthless laugh that sent chills down even Wolsey’s spine, “No. You’ll change the law so that I may pick a traitor’s mode of death. And it won’t be beheading or hanging, drawing and quartering for Bessie Blount. Neither of those is painful enough for the harlot. I want her boiled alive. Boil her alive. Let her taste the flames that will torment her for all eternity before she even leaves this earth.”
*Wonders if there will be a Tailboys brand of tea in the future ITTL*