The Queen is Dead!: Katherine of Aragon dies in 1518

Didn’t Tudor King’s claim France as well? Or am I misremembering?

Won’t he be King or Normandy given its been conquered?

Be nice to add Brittany in there. Perhaps Scotland (by marriage?) too.
Yeah we claimed the throne of France till 1802, Normandy was never a kingdom although Henry could raise its status as a fuck you to Francis.

Didn’t Tudor King’s claim France as well? Or am I misremembering?

Won’t he be King or Normandy given its been conquered?

Be nice to add Brittany in there. Perhaps Scotland (by marriage?) too.

I think you're a generation out for Scotland by marriage. Mary Queen of Scots wasn't born until 1542 OTL. I am weighing up several possible brides for Lionel, but he's only just been born. I think I have plenty of time. Not to mention he has at least one sister to make an alliance with....

I love the fact that none of you even came close to figuring it out! I love the name and Lionel Tudor just has such a ring to it, I think. Also, how Henry is it to impetuously name his son before he's even laid eyes on him?
It is a rather sound name, to be honest. May he more fruitful than his namesake.

An extra heir in case Lionel does an Arthur and an extra Princess to marry off and all is merry in old England.

Last edited:
An extra heir in case Lionel does an Arthur and an extra Princess to marry off and all is merry in old England.
Also, since Henry didn't have that jousting accident, maybe he'll live longer too, and have better health too. That leg sore really screwed Henry's life up. No leg sore might mean no massive weight gain for Henry either.

He probably will gain some weight as he gets older. But not to the same level he did otl. So maybe he'll be healthy enough long term to father more children too...

Also, since Henry didn't have that jousting accident, maybe he'll live longer too, and have better health too. That leg sore really screwed Henry's life up. No leg sore might mean no massive weight gain for Henry either.

He probably will gain some weight as he gets older. But not to the same level he did otl. So maybe he'll be healthy enough long term to father more children too...

Ah now, that would be spoilers, wouldn't it? ;)

Section LXVI - May 1521
“We’ll have him christened as soon as we can arrange it, hmm? The end of the week at the very latest,” Henry asked, bouncing Lionel lightly in his arms, “Your father can be godfather. Your father, Brandon and my sister the Dowager Queen of France for his godmother. What do you say, sweetheart?”

Marie tried to smile, but she was so tired and her heart was sinking. Her father was bound to use any close ties they gave him to Lionel to his advantage.

“Your sister seems like a fine choice for godmother,” she agreed at last, “But I had hoped to give our first son a royal godfather. And my father. You know what he’s like, Henry. He’ll try to influence Lionel...” Unexpectedly, tears came to her eyes and she trailed off as she tried to choke them back. Her son was so innocent. She hated to think of what would happen if her father got his hands on him.

Alarmed at the sight of her tears, Henry sat down on the bed beside her.

“He won’t get the chance, sweetheart,” he promised, kissing her knuckles lightly, “We’ll make him godfather, yes, but we’ll also make him Lord Lieutenant of Ireland. We’ll pack him off to his estates in Dublin and he will never hurt any of you ever again.”

Faced with the sincerity in his voice, Marie managed a weak smile. Henry returned it.

“Better?” he asked. She nodded.

“But what about a royal godfather for Lionel?” she pressed. She knew she was pushing her luck, but she’d just given him a son. A legitimate Prince of Wales. Surely he’d have to give into her now. Surely?

And indeed, he wasn’t saying no, merely shrugging as he placed Lionel back in her outstretched arms.

“Who would you have me ask, my love? Francis is already dancing to our tune and the King of Scots is a mere boy. He’s scarcely even past the age of reason.”

“What about the Emperor?”

“The Emperor? Don’t make me laugh. Our imperial relations are at a standstill. They have been since – since Katherine died.”

“Then this is the perfect chance to start again,” Marie insisted, hiding her surprise at how easily her husband actually said his first wife’s name, “Lionel’s birth could be used as the olive branch to smooth over the difficulties of the past three years. Even if you won’t ask the Emperor, then Katherine has other nephews. The new King of Portugal for one. And they are your daughter’s maternal blood. They ought to be recognised as part of our family.”

“Is this really what you want?” Henry sighed.

“Hmm,” Marie nodded fervently.

“Fine. I can’t say no, not when you’ve just made me the happiest man alive. But it will be the King of Portugal, not the Emperor. I’ll not have my son growing up with a godfather who’s more powerful than his own father.”

“The King of Portugal, the Dowager Queen of France and my father, with Brandon to be godfather to our next child. That sounds perfect,” Marie smiled, before suppressing a yawn.

“I’m sorry,” she apologised, “I’m still just so tired.” Henry smiled indulgently.

“Don’t apologise, love. You’ve nothing to be sorry for. His Highness and I will leave you to rest.”

So saying, he scooped Lionel out of her arms, pulled the blankets up around her, kissed her forehead tenderly and carried their son out of the room as she burrowed down into the bed, giving in to her lingering exhaustion and letting her eyelids flicker shut.