The Queen is Dead!: Katherine of Aragon dies in 1518

My full list of candidates as brides for Fitzroy:
1) a daughter of Anne Boleyn and Henry Percy
2) a daughter of George Boleyn and Katherine Stafford
3) Kitty Howard
4) a minor Howard relatives of the Queen (not daughter of Norfolk), better if ward of Anne Percy or George Boleyn
5) Eleanor Brandon
6) Margaret Douglas
6) Dorothy Stafford
6) daughter of Henry Courtenay
6) Winifred Pole

I am warming up to the idea of Eleanor Brandon as Duchess of Richmond, it must be said. I was tempted by Catherine de Medici, but that would be complicated to pull off. And, for a variety of reasons, I don't see Catherine working as Duchess of York, either, although her French inheritance would certainly help secure the Duchy of Normandy for her husband. Along those lines, therefore, perhaps Jeanne d'Albret for the eventual Duchess of York and Normandy? Although I do need a husband for Meg Douglas at some point...

Last edited:
I am warming up to the idea of Eleanor Brandon as Duchess of Richmond, it must be said. I was tempted by Catherine de Medici, but that would be complicated to pull off. And, for a variety of reasons, I don't see Catherine working as Duchess of York, either, although her French inheritance would certainly help secure the Duchy of Aquitaine for her husband. Along those lines, therefore, perhaps Jeanne d'Albret for the eventual Duchess of York and Aquitaine? Although I do need a husband for Meg Douglas at some point...
Well Meg can marry the Howard boy who she wanted (or Clifford who will need another wife)...
I think France would never let Jeanne d’Albret marrying in England and in any case Henry would not be interested in Marguerite’s daughter for his son... Oh, for the Duchess of York you can always have Catherine de’ Medici dying young (as she will be likely a little too old for York) and replace her with an ATL cousin Madeleine Anne Stewart of Albany (ATL daughter of John, Duke of Albany and Anne de la Tour) born in 1523-25. OTL Anne was childless but she died in 1524 at 28 years old so..., in alternative maybe a girl from Lorraine (including the Guisas). Francis’ youngest daughter Marguerite also can work

Last edited:
Section XCIV - April 1522
Richmond, April 1522
“So if Anthony and Lady Mary are to be married at Midsummer, when shall we let your sister marry Lord Percy?”

Henry played aimlessly with Marie’s hair as he spoke. She purred in contentment, resting her head on his shoulder. The drapes of the grand four-poster they were sharing were all but shut, only open a crack, just enough to allow a single ray of the early April sunshine to enter. It played among her tousled golden locks, lighting each in turn. Henry loved chasing the sunlight through her hair. He kissed a newly-blazing curl as she hummed in thought.

“Annie’s just turned fifteen. Some would say she’s already well and truly old enough for marriage, but I don’t want her married too young. Not after the belladonna incident. She won’t admit it, but I’m sure that has weakened her. Given that, I don’t want even the slightest chance that she’ll fall pregnant before her body’s had a chance to recover fully. And if you want Anthony and Lady Mary married first, then I suggest we hold off for another year or so. Why don’t we have them married on her sixteenth birthday? Harry will be eighteen by then, or almost, anyway. Plenty old enough to start a family, wouldn’t you say?”

“Yes,” Henry grinned, his eyes suddenly sparking as he thought of mischief.

“We’ll not tell Annie when she’s to wed him. Call her to your chambers on the morning of her birthday. Gift her with a wedding dress. Something pure, virginal. You know, cloth of silver, white velvet, satin, that sort of thing. Dress her in it, take her to the Chapel Royal and I’ll have young Percy, a priest and some witnesses waiting for you.”

Marie laughed, rolling over so that she was on top of her husband, “And what if she doesn’t like that surprise? Have you thought of that, My Lord?”

“Why wouldn’t she? She wants to wed the lad, doesn’t she?”

He looked alarmed and Marie chuckled throatily.

“I’m only teasing. Of course she’ll love it. It’s a wonderful idea.”

“Why, you vixen! You had me worried then!” Henry cried, tickling her from below until she squealed and begged for mercy.

“Please, Henry! It’s a wonderful idea and you’re a wonderful husband, father and brother. I’d never dare to suggest otherwise.”

“You’d better not,” he warned playfully, before kissing her, tossing her gently off him – oh so gently, ever mindful of the babe inside her – and rising languidly.

“I’ve audiences to hear this morning and then I’ve a mind to ride over to Eltham and see the children. Any messages for any of them?”

“Just my good wishes and a reminder to Maria to pay attention in her lessons, even the ones she doesn’t like.”

“Good luck with that! She’s too much her father’s daughter,” Henry raised an eyebrow and Marie conceded the point with a half-raised hand, “Just tell her I love her.”

“I will,” Henry promised, and then called for a groom, quickly pulling on a night-shirt in order to make himself respectable before the man arrived.

He was relieved the early stages of pregnancy were tiring Marie enough that she didn’t insist on accompanying him to Eltham. He wouldn’t have felt comfortable with her making the tiring journey to their son and daughter’s residence. Besides, even if he rode fast, he’d have to spend the night. It was too far for him to do anything else.

Well Meg can marry the Howard boy who she wanted (or Clifford who will need another wife)...
I think France would never let Jeanne d’Albret marrying in England and in any case Henry would not be interested in Marguerite’s daughter for his son... Oh, for the Duchess of York you can always have Catherine de’ Medici dying young (as she will be likely a little too old for York) and replace her with an ATL cousin Madeleine Anne Stewart of Albany (ATL daughter of John, Duke of Albany and Anne de la Tour) born in 1523-25. OTL Anne was childless but she died in 1524 at 28 years old so..., in alternative maybe a girl from Lorraine (including the Guisas). Francis’ youngest daughter Marguerite also can work

I don't agree that Henry wouldn't want Marguerite's daughter for his son. Not when the girl is of a reasonable age for his son and comes with a crown of her own in Navarre. But I do also like the idea of Princess Marguerite. France might not be too happy about Jeanne marrying a Duke of York and Normandy, I do agree there, but I'm not sure how much Henry would care to take that into consideration...

I don't agree that Henry wouldn't want Marguerite's daughter for his son. Not when the girl is of a reasonable age for his son and comes with a crown of her own in Navarre. But I do also like the idea of Princess Marguerite. France might not be too happy about Jeanne marrying a Duke of York and Normandy, I do agree there, but I'm not sure how much Henry would care to take that into consideration...
Well I will explain to you differently: Henry will not wish send his young son in a place where he would be most likely deeply unhappy, just for a crown... Henry must know who Marguerite hate him and who she has teach to her own daughter to hate him and his family... Princess Marguerite also will likely dislike them but maybe less than the heiress of Navarre and unlike the other girl she has no land of her own...

Well I will explain to you differently: Henry will not wish send his young son in a place where he would be most likely deeply unhappy, just for a crown... Henry must know who Marguerite hate him and who she has teach to her own daughter to hate him and his family... Princess Marguerite also will likely dislike them but maybe less than the heiress of Navarre and unlike the other girl she has no land of her own...

Yeah,okay, that I could see. Oh well, this hypothetical Duke of York and Normandy isn't even in the world yet, so I needn't worry about getting him a bride just yet.

Just a general inquiry, for potential foreign marriages, how much does Fitzroy's bastardy work against getting the approval for such a match from any of the likely involved monarchs?

How likely would a particular Spanish, French, Germanic, Scandanavian monarch allow his own daughter to enter a marriage compact vs if it was a niece vs if it was a royal cousin of some sort?

At some point, real-politic foreign affairs and a particular country's need to gain an alliance with England would impact the calculus. But is it known if some nations were more or less inclined to ties with a foreign royal bastard?

Just a general inquiry, for potential foreign marriages, how much does Fitzroy's bastardy work against getting the approval for such a match from any of the likely involved monarchs?

How likely would a particular Spanish, French, Germanic, Scandanavian monarch allow his own daughter to enter a marriage compact vs if it was a niece vs if it was a royal cousin of some sort?

At some point, real-politic foreign affairs and a particular country's need to gain an alliance with England would impact the calculus. But is it known if some nations were more or less inclined to ties with a foreign royal bastard?
ASB for royal princesses (maybe Scandinavian can accept it but is stretching a lot)... For Fitzroy you need noble girls (also from the high aristocracy as Fitzroy is a Duke), fellow royal bastards or very junior princesses

Yeah,okay, that I could see. Oh well, this hypothetical Duke of York and Normandy isn't even in the world yet, so I needn't worry about getting him a bride just yet.
I would go for either Marguerite of France or Madeleine Stewart of Albany, Countess of Auvergne as Duchess of York and Normandy.
Plus remover who here Marguerite is already widowed by some years and likely has already remarried to Henry of Navarre and in OTL she had a short living son two years after Jeanne so here everything point in the direction of a Jeanne d’Albret who is not the heiress of Navarre...

Richmond, April 1522
“So if Anthony and Lady Mary are to be married at Midsummer, when shall we let your sister marry Lord Percy?”

Henry played aimlessly with Marie’s hair as he spoke. She purred in contentment, resting her head on his shoulder. The drapes of the grand four-poster they were sharing were all but shut, only open a crack, just enough to allow a single ray of the early April sunshine to enter. It played among her tousled golden locks, lighting each in turn. Henry loved chasing the sunlight through her hair. He kissed a newly-blazing curl as she hummed in thought.

“Annie’s just turned fifteen. Some would say she’s already well and truly old enough for marriage, but I don’t want her married too young. Not after the belladonna incident. She won’t admit it, but I’m sure that has weakened her. Given that, I don’t want even the slightest chance that she’ll fall pregnant before her body’s had a chance to recover fully. And if you want Anthony and Lady Mary married first, then I suggest we hold off for another year or so. Why don’t we have them married on her sixteenth birthday? Harry will be eighteen by then, or almost, anyway. Plenty old enough to start a family, wouldn’t you say?”

“Yes,” Henry grinned, his eyes suddenly sparking as he thought of mischief.

“We’ll not tell Annie when she’s to wed him. Call her to your chambers on the morning of her birthday. Gift her with a wedding dress. Something pure, virginal. You know, cloth of silver, white velvet, satin, that sort of thing. Dress her in it, take her to the Chapel Royal and I’ll have young Percy, a priest and some witnesses waiting for you.”

Marie laughed, rolling over so that she was on top of her husband, “And what if she doesn’t like that surprise? Have you thought of that, My Lord?”

“Why wouldn’t she? She wants to wed the lad, doesn’t she?”

He looked alarmed and Marie chuckled throatily.

“I’m only teasing. Of course she’ll love it. It’s a wonderful idea.”

“Why, you vixen! You had me worried then!” Henry cried, tickling her from below until she squealed and begged for mercy.

“Please, Henry! It’s a wonderful idea and you’re a wonderful husband, father and brother. I’d never dare to suggest otherwise.”

“You’d better not,” he warned playfully, before kissing her, tossing her gently off him – oh so gently, ever mindful of the babe inside her – and rising languidly.

“I’ve audiences to hear this morning and then I’ve a mind to ride over to Eltham and see the children. Any messages for any of them?”

“Just my good wishes and a reminder to Maria to pay attention in her lessons, even the ones she doesn’t like.”

“Good luck with that! She’s too much her father’s daughter,” Henry raised an eyebrow and Marie conceded the point with a half-raised hand, “Just tell her I love her.”

“I will,” Henry promised, and then called for a groom, quickly pulling on a night-shirt in order to make himself respectable before the man arrived.

He was relieved the early stages of pregnancy were tiring Marie enough that she didn’t insist on accompanying him to Eltham. He wouldn’t have felt comfortable with her making the tiring journey to their son and daughter’s residence. Besides, even if he rode fast, he’d have to spend the night. It was too far for him to do anything else.
Why I sense trouble here? Pretty sure Henry and Marie had not a very good idea here...

He has children to see. I am not saying Henry is a particularly faithful man, but I will be impressed if Maria lets her beloved Papa out of her sight long enough for him to fall into bed with one of her maids...
Exactly. Maria is already jealous enough to have to share her dad’s attention with the boys, no way she left him alone after the boys go to sleep and she can have him all for herself...

Why I sense trouble here? Pretty sure Henry and Marie had not a very good idea here...

Exactly. Maria is already jealous enough to have to share her dad’s attention with the boys, no way she left him alone after the boys go to sleep and she can have him all for herself...

Because Anne is already showing signs of impatience at having to wait to marry Harry?

As for Maria, she will have to share Henry with Meg Douglas and her other companions, but she doesn't mind that, because she's so obviously her Papa's favourite... But yes, no discreet assignations for Henry, at least not this time around. Although I will say that it's not that much longer before he strays - quite openly - from the marital bed....

Section XCV - April 1522
Eltham, April 1522
He rode into Eltham just as the sun was setting. Maria greeted him formally, with an elegant curtsy that made him realise, with a sudden pang, just how fast she was growing. Six years old already! And what a little lady she was. Just like he imagined her mother must have been at her age.

But supper soon broke the ice and, before long, he was seated by the fire with Maria enthroned on his lap, his little nieces at his feet and the Parr girls and Susan White on cushions not far away, one sitting properly, the other two sprawled on their stomachs, heads both turned to him and propped on their arms. The firelight danced over their faces, creating unearthly shadows and adding to the mood in the room.

“So what have you monkeys been up to recently, then?”

He wasn’t prepared for the guilty glance that his daughter shared with the others.

“Maria?” he prompted gently.

“We weren’t doing any harm, honest! We just wanted to see Eltham without Lady Bury or the maids!” Fanny blurted.

“So you slipped away from them,” Henry sighed. He couldn’t truly be angry; he remembered doing the same many a time as a child. Nonetheless, no doubt the poor women had been absolutely frantic. He said as much to the girls and the older ones, at least, had the grace to look abashed.

“We apologised afterwards, Sire,” Kate reassured him and he shot her a smile.

“Oh well. All’s well that ends well, eh? At least one of you has some sense.”

“Yes, but Papa, we were exploring near the west wing, you know, where Hal has his rooms, and I think Hal must be very naughty,” Maria insisted, “He seemed nice at my party, but I think he must be very naughty for Lady Tailboys.”

“Oh? And why do you think that, then?” Henry asked, fighting to keep his voice steady.

“We heard Lady Tailboys shout and something breaking and then she started crying,” Meg explained, “We could hear her all the way down the corridor, Uncle Henry.”

“Really?” Meg nodded and Nannette added, “It scared me! Mama and Lady Bury never shout like that!”

A flicker of misgiving flared in Henry but he quashed it firmly. It was probably nothing. Bessie had always been emotional. There was no reason for her loss of temper to mean anything out of the ordinary.

“Well if it scared you, that should teach you to know better than to wander away from Lady Salisbury and Lady Willoughby, shouldn’t it?”

He tried to be stern, but he was having a hard time keeping a straight face and when Maria begged him to play Pass the Lady with them, he didn’t require any persuasion.

It was only later, as he was tucking Maria into bed, that she asked him again why Marie hadn’t come with him.

“I told you, Mama’s feeling tired because of the baby in her belly,” he murmured softly, “But she’s looking forward to seeing you again, just as soon as she feels up to it.”

“Oh,” Maria replied, burrowing down obediently as he drew the covers up around her, “Will you be here in the morning, Papa?”

“I’ll be here for breakfast,” he promised, pecking her on the forehead.

“Good,” she murmured sleepily.

He was about to get up and leave the room when she suddenly spoke again.

“You know Mama’s got a baby in her belly? Can I have a sister this time? Lady Bury and Lady Willoughby say I should pray for a brother, but I don’t need a brother. Lionel’s enough. Can I have a sister instead? Please?”

Henry had to laugh at her pleading tone. She clearly had yet to learn that, much though he hated being powerless, this was one area God, rather than he, controlled.

“We’ll see, my pearl,” he responded, as he got up, “You lie back and go to sleep now. There’s a good girl.”

Hum.... is Henry about to make an Intervention regarding Hal..?

Poor chap deserves a decent childhood.

Well, not before things come to a head in the summer and autumn of this ITTL year, no. But Hal's still only just turned two, if my maths is right (if memory serves - I can't be bothered to go back and look just now - he was born in March 1520 ITTL), so hopefully he'll still be young enough to adapt to a new life once the dust of the upcoming storm settles.

I feel like Bessie's days at Eltham are numbered... it's so awesome to see Henry and Mary / Maria having a healthy, normal relationship!

It's nice to see Henry the 8th be the responsible loving parent in this tl.

Well, yes, by the middle of 1523, all will be over...one way or another. And yes, I love writing the scenes that could almost be modern in their scope. I love the humanity of the characters in those :)