The Queen is Dead!: Katherine of Aragon dies in 1518

Oh this TL is absolutely fascinating! Watching Marie march to the beat of her own drum and doing things her way has been so much fun! Crossing my fingers that she has a boy. Though I don't think Henry would completely flip out if they had another girl, since the marriage's legitimacy isn't tied up in the baby being a boy, he still might do something foolish if it is a girl. Heh, it'd actually be kind of funny if they have a boy now, and then nothing but girls afterward. Henry would have a passel of girls to dower and find advantageous marriages for.

One thing: you might want to add a threadmark to the last post so people can find it in the index. :)

Thanks for sharing this TL! It's so much fun! :D

Oh this TL is absolutely fascinating! Watching Marie march to the beat of her own drum and doing things her way has been so much fun! Crossing my fingers that she has a boy. Though I don't think Henry would completely flip out if they had another girl, since the marriage's legitimacy isn't tied up in the baby being a boy, he still might do something foolish if it is a girl. Heh, it'd actually be kind of funny if they have a boy now, and then nothing but girls afterward. Henry would have a passel of girls to dower and find advantageous marriages for.

One thing: you might want to add a threadmark to the last post so people can find it in the index. :)

Thanks for sharing this TL! It's so much fun! :D

Cheers for the heads-up about the threadmark, I was convinced I had...

Your thoughts about Henry and Mary's prospective children are interesting, I hadn't considered the points you raised. I'll have to give them some thought. Thanks for commenting!

Section LV - February 1521
I don't normally stretch to three chapters in a week, but I have been doing some more work on this TL today, so thought why not. Enjoy!

The herald banged his staff against the floor, “Lady Katherine Stafford to see you, Madam.”

Marie glanced up in surprise, “Lady Katherine Stafford? But I wasn’t expecting her.”

Sir John Shelton, her uncle and Comptroller of her household, bent towards her, “The second daughter of the Duke of Buckingham, Madam. It’s my belief the Duke hoped she could secure herself a place among your ladies.”

“Without asking if I needed another Lady-in-Waiting? Wasn’t that premature?”

At the surprise in Marie’s tone, Sir John spread his hands, “With all due respect, My Lady, not many people would refuse a Stafford.”

“You’re tactfully trying to say that I have no choice in the matter?”

“I fear not, My Lady.”

Marie sighed, momentarily hating the struggle for power and influence that surrounded her new position, before she pasted a smile on her face.

“Very well, John. Send her in.”

A few moments later, a tall, elegant young woman about Marie’s own age was curtsying before her.

The young woman’s eyes were unusual – green flecked with hazel – and her flowing hair, which rippled well past her waist, almost to her hips, was mostly chestnut brown, although a few lighter strands hinted at her Woodville ancestry.

“Madam,” Her voice was low, musical.

“Lady Katherine,” Marie answered coolly, “I gather your father would be much obliged if I took you into my household.”

“Yes, if Your Grace would be so kind,” Katherine replied, unsure how to react to such a cool reception. She was used to the name ‘Stafford’ opening every door for her.

As if the Queen could sense her uncertainty, she warmed her smile a fraction.

“You’re a beautiful girl, Lady Katherine. Young and beautiful and, I’ve no doubt, vivacious. You realise that I am with child and there won’t be many entertainments until our Prince is born and I am churched?”

“Yes, Madam,” Katherine nodded.

“And you still wish to take up a place in my household?”

“Yes, My Lady. I’m a skilled seamstress. It would be both an honour and a pleasure to lend a hand in sewing the little Prince’s layette.”

The words were those which any skilled courtier could have forced out, even against their will, yet the light in Lady Katherine’s eyes suggested she was being genuine. Despite herself, Marie chuckled, “Well then. Welcome to my household, Lady Katherine. Though I think we’ll start calling you Kathy. Katherine isn’t the most auspicious name you could bear at Court at the moment.”

Kathy nodded, curtsying, “As Your Grace wishes.”

Marie watched her for a moment longer, seemingly studying her, and then clapped her hands, “Sarah. See Kathy sworn in and then see if you can find a livery that’ll fit her until her father can have some made for her.”

Kathy rose from her curtsy and followed the redhead who stepped forward deeper into the room. The ranks of women dressed in cream satin trimmed with black velvet ribbon opened to admit her, silently welcoming her into the Queen’s household.

Right this has nothing to do with the actual thread and is actually really more for @The_Last_Plantagenet, since I know they once asked whether this thread would have a surviving Henry Fitzroy, but I figured the rest of you might like to see this too. This is my latest story on AO3: Bastard Slips Take Root. And yes, I did steal the title from the St Paul's Cross Sermon in 1483 ;)

Right this has nothing to do with the actual thread and is actually really more for @The_Last_Plantagenet, since I know they once asked whether this thread would have a surviving Henry Fitzroy, but I figured the rest of you might like to see this too. This is my latest story on AO3: Bastard Slips Take Root. And yes, I did steal the title from the St Paul's Cross Sermon in 1483 ;)

Always been fascinated by a surviving Fitzroy story, so checking it out.

Hoping to find a Prince Arthur survives ones too someday.

Section LVI - March 1521
“What do you mean, she barely speaks to you? You’re the same age, of similar station, with surely not dissimilar interests. Surely you must be among her inner circle?”

“No, Father,” Kathy bit her lip, hating to disappoint the most important man in her life, “The Queen is never anything other than courteous to me, but she has her sister serving her as a maid and Lady Sarah and Mistress Joanna at her side at all times. She has no need of other confidantes.”

“And you can’t use our influence at Court to win yourself a better position?”

“No, Father. She’d hate me for it.”

Edward Stafford sighed, then waved his daughter towards the door, “Very well, Katherine. I suppose, if there’s nothing you can do, you’d better carry on as you are for now. I’ll inform you if I want anything to change. Go back to the Queen.”

“Yes, Father,” Kathy turned for the door, obedient, as always, to her father’s wishes. Edward called after her.

“Katherine. Send Giovanni into me on your way out.”

She nodded; went on her way, only momentarily curious as to why her father might want his newest page, an Italian lad sent over from Rome to learn the ways of the English Court, to come to him in his private chamber.

*** *** ***​
“You understand what you have to do?”

“Yes, Sir. But I don’t understand what you’re hoping to achieve. Even if the Queen were to be removed as an obstacle, who’s to say His Majesty would turn to his daughter in his grief?”

The soft voices woke Kathy from her slumber. For a moment, she lay, only half-listening to the indistinct murmurs before her ears passed on a piece of vital information. The voices belonged to her father and his new Italian page.

Now curiosity got the better of her. What were they doing, talking together in the dead of night? Sitting up, Kathy reached for her wrap and crept out of bed towards the door of her father’s study, careful not to wake her maid, who slept on a pallet at the foot of her bed.

She reached the door, leaning against the frame just in time to hear her father say, “You wouldn’t know what happened after Queen Katherine died, you weren’t here. But trust me. With the Boleyn upstart out of the way, Lady Katherine’s path to the King’s heart will be clear. Do this for me and I’ll see you suitably rewarded once my daughter wears her rightful crown. Do we have a deal?”

There was a pause and then Giovanni’s husky whisper, “Aye, My Lord. We have a deal.”

Kathy stifled a gasp. Her father wanted her to be Queen!

Before she could get any further with her train of thought, however, there was movement in the room behind the door.

Kathy’s mind went blank, except for one thing – she couldn’t afford to be discovered. Whirling around, she fled back to bed, trying to still her pounding heart as she dived beneath the covers and lay there, scarcely daring to breathe.

Her father wanted her to be Queen. King Henry’s Queen. But for that, Queen Mary would have to be taken out of the picture. He was plotting treason, that much was sure. But should she tell someone? Ideally, yes, of course she should, but what if she was wrong, had been dreaming or misheard? Father was a loyal servant to King Henry; he always had been. He wouldn’t hurt Queen Mary, not when she was pregnant and had made King Henry so happy. He wouldn’t. Of course he wouldn’t. Her mind had to be playing tricks on her. it must be.

And anyway, she had no proof. She couldn’t tell anyone without proof. To accuse her own father of treason...No. Kathy stopped that train of thought before it could go a whit further. She wouldn’t risk that. Not without proof; not until Father did something.

Having made her mind up, Kathy rolled over and forced herself to sleep.

Edward "Worst Plotter Ever" Stafford, 3rd Duke of Soon to be Headless.

A lord so piss poor at conspiracy that modern conspiracy theorists think it a conspiracy that his skills at it were actually that bad. "No one could be that gormless a git, now could they?"

Edward "Worst Plotter Ever" Stafford, 3rd Duke of Soon to be Headless.

A lord so piss poor at conspiracy that modern conspiracy theorists think it a conspiracy that his skills at it were actually that bad. "No one could be that gormless a git, now could they?"

His father was the 'most untrue creature living' so it's in his blood... And I can't say he's much better here...

Section LVII - March 1521
Anne laughed, holding out her hand for her arrow as Henry Percy held it tantalisingly out of her reach.

“Harry, please, just give it back. I can’t afford to lose it,” she chuckled. He raised a disbelieving eyebrow.

“You, an Earl’s daughter, can’t afford to lose a single arrow? I highly doubt that.”

“Regardless, you took it without my permission. Give it back!”

“I don’t think so. Not unless you kiss me.”

“Harry!” Anne jumped to catch hold of the arrow, for once not caring what she looked like. Harry pulled away, shaking his head.

“Kiss me.”

“Only if you give my arrow back.”

“When did ladies like you become so demanding?”

“When knights like you became so ungentlemanly as to start distressing us,” Anne quipped back, eyes shining at the easy, familiar banter. Harry sighed.

“Clever,” he conceded, handing her her arrow.

Anne shrugged, “I learned from the best.”

With that, she turned away.

“Hang on!” Harry protested, “What about my kiss?”

Anne blinked mischievously at him over her shoulder, “Since you made me work for my prize, I shall make you work for yours.”

Without waiting for her words to sink in, she took off, lifting her skirts high with one hand. Roaring with laughter, Harry followed, surprised, as always, at how fast she actually was.

It was only once they reached the side door of the palace that she slowed enough to let him catch her waist and pull her back to him for a kiss. A kiss she melted into, one that seemed to last forever and yet was broken all too soon as she tugged away from him, forcing him to let her go.

“I need to get back. I need to help Marie dress for the audiences this afternoon.”

However much Harry wished it wasn’t true, he knew he was of secondary importance to Anne’s sister. After all, she was the Queen and he just a simple Earl. Reluctantly, he nodded, stole a final brief kiss to Anne’s cheek and then let her go.

Anne hurried up to her sister’s rooms, still flushed from the fresh air, emotion and exertion when she arrived, a fact Sarah commented on with a smile.

“I was down at the archery butts with Lord Percy and the others,” Anne explained.

“I think you were doing a little more than archery,” Marie teased, waving her towards a cup of claret on the sideboard, “Go on. You may as well have it. I get sent more cups of wine than I know what to do with.”

Anne took it up gratefully, gulping the first mouthful before pausing in surprise. Marie glanced up, “Is something wrong, Annie?”

“It’s oddly sweet. I think you’d better make sure your admirers send you the right wine for the right time of day. Someone’s got their clarets and their dessert wines confused.”

“And France has made you such an expert?” Marie raised an eyebrow, earning herself an indifferent shrug from her younger sister as the latter drained the goblet.

“Madame Marguerite taught me well, sister. What more can I say?”

Marie laughed, waving her away indulgently. Anne went to the window and tried to read some poetry, but her vision kept blurring so that the letters danced on the page and made no sense.

Eventually, she gave up and shut the book, shifting in her seat.

“Marie?”

“Yes, sister?”

“My eyes keep going blurry, I think I’m coming down with a headache. Will you be all right if I don’t accompany you to lunch or the audiences?”

“Of course. I’ll get Kathy and Joanna to come instead,” Marie wanted to go over and put a worrying hand on Annie’s forehead, the way she had done countless times in France, but she knew a Queen couldn’t do that; had to let someone else minister to her ladies in public, even if said lady was her sister. Instead, she leaned forward and softened her voice, “Why don’t you go and lie down for a while?”

“I might just do that,” Anne agreed, thankful for her older sister’s obvious concern. She got to her feet, noting with alarm how weak her legs were. She swallowed. Her mouth was dry. This coming headache must be worse than she thought.

She made it three steps across the room before her legs gave way.

She heard Marie scream and tried to reassure her that it was just a momentary weakness, hat she’d be fine, but her mouth wouldn’t work. Her limbs started twitching, moving of their own accord. Her own body was out of her control.

In a matter of seconds, she had hit the floor and her world had gone black.