The Queen is Dead!: Katherine of Aragon dies in 1518

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900' started by FalconHonour, Nov 28, 2018.

1. BlueFlowwer Well-Known Member

Well, she did not know Bessie would go into labour on just that day.

2. FalconHonour Well-Known Member

Yes she did. She left after the news had come through that Bessie had gone into labour. Before the King found out, but she knew. She and George talk about it before she leaves.

“But what if he doesn’t? Have you thought of that eventuality, Marie? I know he’s been nothing but devoted to you since the Lady Blount went into her confinement, but are you sure you rule him that completely? Are you sure you know how he’ll react? The Lady Blount’s just gone into labour? What if he decides he needs you here? What am I to say if he asks for you?”

“I leave that to you. But I must go, George. I must. If this child lives, then the King will be family-minded. What better time to bring the Princess Mary back to Court?”

Cate13 and Ogrebear like this.
  3. FalconHonour Well-Known Member

And I looked up the distance between Havering and Eltham. Mary could have ridden it in about 3-4 hours, so assuming Bessie's labour goes on 6-8 hours or even more, Mary could easily be there long before the King realised where she'd gone...

Ogrebear likes this.
  4. Ogrebear Well-Known Member

Good chapter.

I do hope Mary and the Princess both return to Henry soon.

A daughter needs her father after all.

FalconHonour likes this.
  5. Md139115 Bring back the Inquisition!

Secret Catholic World Domination Conference
    I’m pretty sure this is all going to come down to what happens in the birthing chambers. If Bessie delivers a healthy boy, everyone will be fine after an epic screaming match. If its a girl, someone will get kicked out of court. If either Bessie or the child die(or both!), King Henry will be able to open a bowling alley with all the heads he’ll have.

6. FalconHonour Well-Known Member

XDXD;);)

Md139115 likes this.
  7. Md139115 Bring back the Inquisition!

Secret Catholic World Domination Conference
    o_O

8. Tudorfan Well-Known Member

I also know you on Fanfiction.net @FalconHonour - if Mary doesn't improve soon, I shall ruin the spoilers of stories that you have told me ahead of schedule in my reviews... You know I would... And then I shall cackle maniacally and make you watch The White Queen and the White Princess and, when it comes out, The Spanish Princess...

Tyler96 and BlueFlowwer like this.
  9. BlueFlowwer Well-Known Member

The Horror! :evilsmile:

10. Kellan Sullivan Well-Known Member

Minor nitpick. Mary Tudor (both of them) had red hair (probably not as bright as Liz's but it's one thing most bios of Mary do agree on). Not fair. Just an observation.

11. Tudorfan Well-Known Member

It's also well known that Mary I often dyed her hair throughout her life; the amount of money she spent on dye was off the charts by modern standards...

12. Kellan Sullivan Well-Known Member

No Elizabeth style wigs for her then? Did not know that. Thanks

13. Tudorfan Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Gambling, hair dye and something else - I think it was horses - were the things Mary spent most on, according to her household records...

Kellan Sullivan likes this.
  14. Kellan Sullivan Well-Known Member

Dresses perhaps? Would fit with the hair dye thing?

15. Tudorfan Well-Known Member

That sounds about right. It was something like that. And, according to her household records, she spent most of her time at Beaulieu when not at court.

Kellan Sullivan likes this.
  16. FalconHonour Well-Known Member

Yeah, I forgot to change that, whoops! I always imagined little Mary as strawberry blonde, her York heritage coming through, I guess.

17. FalconHonour Well-Known Member

I know you would. But I also know that I could spoil some of your stories if I chose to. :evilsmile: And you can read ahead if you want to ( if you haven't already...), so I'd call us even.

18. finnluvshistory Active Member

Loving this story so far! My heart breaks for poor little Princess Mary <3 Hopefully she'll meet a better fate ITTL than OTL, staying a recognised, legitimate Princess..

FalconHonour likes this.
  19. FalconHonour Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comment. Glad you're enjoying it!

20. BlueFlowwer Well-Known Member

If Mary stays legitimate in this tl, can she marry James V of Scotland?

kasumigenx and Ogrebear like this.