The Queen is Dead!: Katherine of Aragon dies in 1518

Good thought, but Kitty is marrying Anne and Harry's son and heir, so there's no real need for a double Howard-Percy match in their generation...
Then maybe Charles can marry George’s little ward? If he become a diplomat he will likely end working with both George and Thomas Boleyn and Kathy would likely appreciated a wedding who keep her foster daughter in the family

Just so long as he doesn't go sniffing around Margaret Douglas and get himself killed, like OTL.
Nope. With two sons, Henry VIII is much more relaxed about Meg Douglas marrying, so she's married long before Charles Howard is old enough to think about taking a wife.

Then maybe Charles can marry George’s little ward? If he become a diplomat he will likely end working with both George and Thomas Boleyn and Kathy would likely appreciated a wedding who keep her foster daughter in the family

There's a thought. I was also wondering about some baron's heiress like Catherine Willoughby. As a junior member of the Howard family, he has the name, but he hasn't really got the money to back it up. He'll need to marry an heiress, I think. But not one that's out of his reach. Which is why I am not sure about Awkwardvulture's suggestion of Lady Frances de Vere. The De Veres are the Earls of Oxford. They're not going to want a penniless husband for their daughter, Lancastrian links notwithstanding. I'm tempted just to have Charles marry a girl abroad.

Hell, he's going to Florence. He could always romance Catherine de Medici, since she's not marrying Henri ITTL.

There's a thought. I was also wondering about some baron's heiress like Catherine Willoughby. As a junior member of the Howard family, he has the name, but he hasn't really got the money to back it up.

Is there a Dacre/Greystock daughter around? I'm not sure how old Anne and Dorothy Dacre are.

Hell, he's going to Florence. He could always romance Catherine de Medici, since she's not marrying Henri ITTL.
Too low for her. Catherine is a big heiress in France and Albany’s niece. (maybe here she will end marrying James V of Scotland? Albany would love arranging that wedding as Catherine is his closest relative)

Last edited:
Too low for her. Catherine is a big heiress in France and Albany’s niece. (maybe here she will end marrying James V of Scotland? Albany would love arranging that wedding as Catherine is his closest relative)
Yes, but as @Tyler96 pointed out, Charles is more than capable of attempting to overreach himself. And he is about the right age for Catherine. I'm not saying it will happen, but I am not ruling anything out at this point.

Anne handled those children so well.

Charles and Kitty where adorable.
Well, she was a devoted mother OTL. I thought it only right to give her a flash of that here, while her own little girl is still too young to be properly interactive, if a child can be described as such a thing... And yes, they are adorable, aren't they? I love writing kids - at least once they're old enough to walk and talk and things...

Section CLIX - October 1524
Greenwich, October 1524

Henry was strolling in the gardens when he suddenly came face-to-face with Anthony Knivert. Startling slightly – he hadn’t known Anthony was back from Middleham – he gave a great bellow of joy.

“Anthony! What a pleasant surprise! Have the pleasures of Yorkshire palled at last?”

Anthony shrugged, “Well, you know me, Sire. I prefer to be doing things. The life of a northern gentleman will never be for me. And may I offer belated personal congratulations on the recent additions to your family. Lord Richard, Lady Katharine and Lady Jacquetta will be the treasures of the country as they grow, I have no doubt.”

“Indeed, indeed. They already are!” Henry said jovially, his face lighting up at the thought of the three young children who, if Lady Bryan’s missives were to be believed, enjoyed wreaking havoc in the nursery at Eltham. He clapped Anthony on the back, laughing.

“You’ll understand when you’re a father yourself. There’s no sign of a young Knivert yet?”

“Sadly, Your Majesty, no. I fear Lady Lovell and myself would need to be rather fonder of each other than we are for there to be any chance of that.”

Anthony tried to laugh the matter off, but Henry fixed him with a beady eye.

“What’s this? Is Lady Lovell still too proud a minx to do her marital duties?”

Anthony spread his hands, “Suffice it to say, Sire, that she prefers to spend her time in whichever one of our manors I am not currently residing in.”

Then, before Henry could press him any further, he laughed, “But. What does that matter, now that I am back at Court and have left her to the mercies of Yorkshire? Court can’t have changed that much. There must be half a dozen young hussies ready and waiting to throw themselves in my direction for the sake of a few trinkets and a well-turned calf. And if the rumours are true and Your Grace has given up any hope of sowing wild oats, why, then, there’s only all the more for me!”

Henry felt a frisson of distaste run down his spine at Anthony’s careless words, but he shrugged it off. His friend wouldn’t be the first man to seek solace from an unhappy marriage in another woman’s bed. Besides, seeing Anthony had given him an idea.

He slung his arm over Anthony’s shoulders.

“Scores, my old friend,” he said brightly, “But I fear you may have to find them in Rouen, rather than London!”

“Sire?” Anthony glanced sideways at him, queries written all over his gaze.

“You say you wish to be doing things. How would you like to lead a force of men to Normandy for me? I’ve plans to invest Lord Richard as Duke of Normandy, which means King Francis won’t be getting Avranches as part of my daughter’s dowry. The cockerel’s bound to be annoyed by it. I wouldn’t put it past him to try and seize them back by force so I want to pre-empt that. Take a force of 2000 men and hold the borders for me.” Seeing Anthony about to say something, Henry held up a hand, “I want it to be a show of strength, no more, but even that should be enough to make the French stripling think twice about poking the sleeping lion. What do you say? Will you do it?”

Anthony’s heart leapt at the thought of returning to military duties. He’d always been a man of action. Moreover, the fact that those duties would take him abroad would mean that no one would think twice about his leaving his young wife behind for however long they took.

Careful to hide the delight in his eyes behind a mask of solemnity, he bowed at the waist.

“Your wish is my command, My Lord.”

Smart plan Henry- get the philanderer away from Court and somewhere he can be useful.

Plus it shows commitment to keeping and holding Normandy. Maybe send some English colonists over too just to help the conversion?

Smart plan Henry- get the philanderer away from Court and somewhere he can be useful.

Plus it shows commitment to keeping and holding Normandy. Maybe send some English colonists over too just to help the conversion?

He's taking no chances this time. And 2000 English army soldiers will certainly help in Anglicising Normandy - they can't go without some form of structure around them after all...

Watch Anthony pick up some cross dressing French woman captured in battle(if you watched The Tudors you'll get the reference). Hopefully the men in Normandy will be enough to deter Francis... But this is the same man that decided it was a good idea to go to war with Spain, The Holy Roman Empire and England at the same time... As for cultural conversion will we possibly see some sort of hybrid culture from Englishmen marrying French women or taking them as mistresses? Great chapter!

What’s this, a Henry VIII who doesn’t sleep around?? Quelle surprise! Hopefully the English will be able to keep hold of Normandy, amazing that Henry has done what generations of his predecessors failed to do.

Also, nice to see that Lady Jacquetta has made it to the other side of infancy.

Watch Anthony pick up some cross dressing French woman captured in battle(if you watched The Tudors you'll get the reference). Hopefully the men in Normandy will be enough to deter Francis... But this is the same man that decided it was a good idea to go to war with Spain, The Holy Roman Empire and England at the same time... As for cultural conversion will we possibly see some sort of hybrid culture from Englishmen marrying French women or taking them as mistresses? Great chapter!
I know what you mean! And there's a thought on the cross-culture. I'd not considered it, but it seems likely.

What’s this, a Henry VIII who doesn’t sleep around?? Quelle surprise! Hopefully the English will be able to keep hold of Normandy, amazing that Henry has done what generations of his predecessors failed to do.

Also, nice to see that Lady Jacquetta has made it to the other side of infancy.
She's not entirely out of the woods yet, but she's made it through the first few months, yes.