The Queen is Dead!: Katherine of Aragon dies in 1518

Section CLVII - June 1524
Baynard's Castle, June 1524
“Queen Mary. Queen Mary,” Sir Henry Wyatt said softly, brushing Marie’s knuckles with his lips as he bowed over her hand. His eyes were soft, warm with an almost paternal pride, “I knew your father had grand plans for you all. He made that clear enough when he sent you to France and Annie to the Archduchess Margaret, but I don’t think even he dreamed of this. How things have changed since you and George were running through the fields at Allington with Tom and Peggy, little Annie toddling behind, calling to you to wait for her.”

“Little Annie, as you call her, is Lady Lancaster now,” Marie chided, though her voice was sweet with suppressed laughter, as she waved Sir Henry to a seat and motioned to Joanna, “I’d have had her here to greet you, but I’m afraid I’ve sent her and Lord Lancaster north to get to know their new estates. But she’ll be gratified to know you remembered her. She must have been little older than six when you last saw her, after all.”

“I’m sure she’s grown into quite a beauty. The Boleyn girls always do,” Sir Henry smiled and Marie’s cheeks tinted pink,

“That’s kind of you to say, Uncle Henry, although I am not sure it is always as true as the ambassadors would have me believe.” She paused, “I can still call you ‘Uncle Henry, can’t I?”

“Of course, Your Grace. I’d be honoured,” Sir Henry dipped his head and Marie smiled briefly.

“Anne’s a mother now, I’ll have you know. Her daughter is a Margaret too, although they call her Maggie. And I’m afraid she named her for the Duchess of Alencon, not your Peggy! Now, you’ll take some wine, won’t you? Or would you rather have mead? I seem to remember you being rather fond of that drink when you came to dine with Papa in the summers.”

“You have a good memory, My Lady. Mead would be wonderful, thank you.”

Sir Henry reached for the cup Joanna handed him, and Marie took a draught of her own, before nodding and waving Joanna away. When she turned back to Sir Henry, her lips tightened just a fraction.

“I didn’t bring you here to talk of Anne’s children, however. I’m sure you’re only too aware that while the King and I have kept the children with us for several months so that we could celebrate Easter, May Day and His Majesty’s birthday together as a family, Their Highnesses will be returning to Eltham at the end of the month. I know the King has spoken to you of the fact that he would like you to accompany them and take up the position of Prince Lionel’s governor. I would like to add my own urging to that. It would give me great pleasure to see my son in your charge."

“And it would give me great pleasure to have the Prince entrusted to me,” Sir Henry hurried to assure her. Marie raised a hand in acknowledgement.

“I’m pleased to hear you say it, Uncle Henry. However, there is one matter I need to discuss with you first. You would not just be taking care of the Prince. Lady Bryan and Lady Salisbury have been raising Lord Richmond alongside the royal children since his mother’s… demise. I expect you to follow suit.”

The speed at which Sir Henry purpled would have been amusing, Marie thought, had the matter not been one of such import. The older man spluttered spectacularly, and had to take several seconds to recover before he could speak again.

“You want me to raise a bastard? And a madwoman’s bastard at that? Alongside the most precious boy in the Kingdom? Your Grace…”

“I want you to raise the King’s son.” Marie cut him off. Leaving that to sink in for a moment, she leaned across and placed a hand on his arm, “Lady Tailboys was a madwoman, you’re right. And while nobody has told me the exact details of how she died, I’ve pieced together enough from the rumours to know it wasn’t pretty. If nothing else, my husband is a man of war. If her death was enough to turn even his stomach, well…then I’m not sure I want to know any more than I already do. But Lord Richmond is not his mother. He’s an innocent child, who got caught up in her schemes simply because of the blood that ran through his veins. Lady Tailboys was raising him to be a threat to Prince Lionel, but now we have a chance to make things right. We have a chance to raise the boys as friends rather than rivals. And I would like to think, Uncle Henry, that you are too good a man to blame a child for the sins of his mother. That you are too loyal a subject to the King to allow any child in your care to become a lightning rod for the disaffected in the realm.”

There was a beat of silence. Marie locked eyes with the older man, forcing him to meet her keen gaze. She had never looked so like her younger sister – or her father – than she did in those few moments.

“Am I right?” She said at last.

Sir Henry nodded slowly, realising as he did so the import of the moment, “You are, Your Grace.”

“So will you do it? Will you give me your word that you will raise the boys together, as fairly as you can, as befits their respective status?”

Marie didn’t say, as she waited for Sir Henry’s response, that if he refused, she’d go to Henry and ask him to choose another governor for Lionel. She didn’t need to. It was there in the fire in her eyes, in the iron poker in her spine. Sir Henry knew better than to refuse the Queen who had the King eating out of the palm of her hand.

“I give you my word, Madam. Queen Mary.”

“Good.” Marie leaned back in her seat, her face lighting up in a smile as the tension left her shoulders, “Then let’s go and visit the nursery so that you can meet your new charges. Come.”

So saying, she pushed herself to her feet, waving away Sir Henry’s proffered hand, and clapped her hands for her ladies to form up around them.

Sir Henry watched her do it, admiration warring with shock inside him. When had the sweet-natured girl he remembered become such an effortlessly regal Queen?

Great chapter... Marie finally has her chance to decide what do with Richmond and she do not want take any risk...
Good for her, Lionel and little Hal

Great chapter... Marie finally has her chance to decide what do with Richmond and she do not want take any risk...
Good for her, Lionel and little Hal
Yup, and with two healthy boys in the nursery, she's feeling confident enough in her position to assert herself over certain domestic matters without reference to Henry - who has probably still not twigged that Hal is being raised alongside Lionel. Lady Bryan wouldn't be stupid enough to bring him to Court functions, after all. He'd be in the nursery with the triplets, while Lionel and Maria are shown off as the future of England.

Yup, and with two healthy boys in the nursery, she's feeling confident enough in her position to assert herself over certain domestic matters without reference to Henry - who has probably still not twigged that Hal is being raised alongside Lionel. Lady Bryan wouldn't be stupid enough to bring him to Court functions, after all. He'd be in the nursery with the triplets, while Lionel and Maria are shown off as the future of England.
Eh, eh... The Bessie Blount disaster was born from the fact who Henry was unable to understand who the best way of dealing with Hal was making him the first companion of Lionel.

Eh, eh... The Bessie Blount disaster was born from the fact who Henry was unable to understand who the best way of dealing with Hal was making him the first companion of Lionel.
You and I know that. Henry VIII is being willfully blind to the matter and no one is going to tell him that!

Very nice chapter. Seems Hal has a decent future after all.

I wonder how if will effect the boys Personally when they find out their family history?

Very nice to see that Marie is being gracious towards her husband's bastards. Hopefully Hal will turn out to be a staunch supporter of both his half brother and father as well. It also makes me wonder how Hal would serve England best?? Perhaps he has the makings of a fine diplomat or general... I'm also wondering who the triplets will marry, especially the girls since their more likely to find foreign matches? Perhaps one of them would make a good wife for Phillip II of Spain, it may help keep peace in Europe and make the Habsburgs less inbred(no Don Carlos from a double first cousin marriage). Excellent chapter!

Very nice to see that Marie is being gracious towards her husband's bastards. Hopefully Hal will turn out to be a staunch supporter of both his half brother and father as well. It also makes me wonder how Hal would serve England best?? Perhaps he has the makings of a fine diplomat or general... I'm also wondering who the triplets will marry, especially the girls since their more likely to find foreign matches... Perhaps one of them would make a good wife for Phillip II of Spain, it may help keep peace in Europe and make the Habsburgs less inbred(no Don Carlos from a double first cousin marriage). Excellent chapter!

I have the whole thing written out, so I know exactly who's marrying who. There are a couple of at least half-Hapsburg matches in there, have no fear of that. As for the Fitzroys, I am following @isabella's, suggestions that Hal marry little Maggie Percy and Grace marry Edmund Boleyn. Grace's descendants at the very least, turn out very loyal to their royal relatives. I haven't decided about Hal and Maggie's yet.

Section CLVIII - July 1524
Horsham, July 1524

Anne nearly burst out into indecorous laughter at the shock written all over the housekeeper’s face when the woman opened the door to see her standing in the courtyard, Harry’s banner of a blue Percy lion quartered with the red rose of Lancaster rippling in the summer breeze behind her.

“Lady-Lady Lancaster, it is an honour. What brings – what brings you to our door?” The woman stuttered.

“The Queen has heard of our aunt Jocasta’s death, God rest her soul, and worries for the children without a mother to guide them. Her Grace wishes to take Margaret and Mary into her own charge, to be maids for her daughters when the time comes, and has chosen to entrust Mistress Katheryn to myself and Lord Lancaster, Mistress Paston,” Anne swept past her, head high. Motherhood might have softened Anne’s sharp edges, but she was still a Boleyn. She was still Howard to the bone. She knew how to put on a show when she needed to cow someone.

“I know Horsham well enough to show myself to the solar. I assume Mistress Isabel has taken charge of the household following her mother’s death? Let her know I am here and why and send Mistress Katheryn to me.”

So saying, Anne flicked her riding cloak dismissively, and retreated to the solar without giving Mistress Paston a chance to reply.

Her cousin Isabel bustled in a few moments later, stout and harried, though she made a more credible stab at greeting Anne than Mistress Paston had managed, curtsying deeply in acknowledgement of Anne’s higher rank, before wiping her hands on the apron she wore and brushing Anne’s cheek with her lips.

“Cousin Anne, or should I say Lady Lancaster? We are honoured to have you here, in our small little corner of East Anglia.”

“Cousin Isabel. I am sorry to come unannounced like this, but I thought it only right to come on the family’s behalf and do what I can to ease your sudden burden. I see I catch you busy?”

“Oh, only with the churning, the butter spoils so easily in this heat, so I am having to make more. And of course, there are six children under the age of nine who need tending to and mothering.”

Isabel was too well-bred to show her exasperation, but Anne knew herself how well she would take to such a sudden responsibility being thrust upon her shoulders, and made a moue of sympathy, reaching out to touch the other woman’s hand.

“Well, I may be able to help you there. Margaret and Mary are old enough to be wards of Court. My sister intends to take them into her household and raise them to be maids to Lady Katharine and Lady Jacquetta when the time comes, so I have come to fetch them to London. I have also been given the wardship of your youngest sister Katheryn, and intend to take her north to join my household at Sizergh. That will leave you just the boys to care for until Uncle Edmund returns from Calais and decides what to do regarding their education.”

Relief flashed across Isabel’s face at Anne’s words, “Cousin Anne, I…”

“Say no more,” Anne smiled, “The Howards have always stood together, come what may. This is no different.”

Their hesitant rapport was disturbed by a commotion outside the solar door: a child whining in distress, followed by a nurse’s frustrated snarl, “No, Mistress Katheryn. You can’t have your brother. Lady Lancaster hasn’t asked for Master Charles. You’re a big girl now, you don’t need your brother all the time. Now go in and greet your cousin nicely.”

“But Ida, Kitty’s scared! You know I help her feel better, can’t I,”

Isabel rolled her eyes at the noise, “Kitty does insist on Charles going everywhere with her. I’ll fetch her.”

“No,” Anne held up a hand, “Let them both come in.”

Before Isabel could question her indulgence of the little girl, Anne shrugged, “I remember only too well how much I adored having my older brother with me as a child.”

Isabel lifted her shoulders carelessly, “As you wish.”

She opened the door and beckoned the children in.

“Kitty, Charles, this is your cousin, Lady Lancaster. Greet her nicely now.”

Charles bowed deeply and Kitty bobbed in what was clearly meant to be a curtsy.

Anne smiled and slid off the divan she was sitting on to be closer to their heights.

“There’s no need for that,” She crouched in front of them, “Cousin Anne will do. Now, Katheryn, I hear you prefer being Kitty, is that right?”

Katheryn glanced up to her older brother, who, Anne realised with a pang, had exactly the same dark hair as her brother had had as a child. He looked down at her and nodded, squeezing their clasped hands encouragingly so that she nodded, her soft strawberry-blonde ringlets bouncing.

“Ess.”

“Kitty, it is then,” Anne smiled, “Now, Kitty. I have a very important question to ask you. I am here because my big sister the Queen has asked me to look after you while your Papa is in Calais keeping it safe for the King. She wants me to take you north with me, to my house, where I can teach you your lessons and you can play with my little girl. Would you like that, do you think?”

Kitty pouted in thought, her little face screwing up in concentration.

“Oh, for heaven’s sake, Kitty!” Isabel snapped, “You’re a lucky girl to get such a chance. Of course you’re going!”

“Isabel. Stop.” Anne held up a hand in warning, and then looked down at Kitty again, “What do you think, little one? Would you like to come north with me and meet my little girl?”

“Can – Can C’arls’ come?”

The question was quiet, almost too quiet to be heard. Isabel gasped at her youngest sister’s audacity. How dare she ask for even more than Lady Lancaster was offering? But then, Katheryn had always been one to seek attention, clambering into anyone’s lap and tugging on every gown.

Before she could scold her, however, something flickered in Lady Lancaster’s eyes, as she glanced between Kitty and Charles, taking in the way the little girl leaned into her older brother, and how his arm curved around her protectively, his free hand linking with hers.

“There’s something special about having an older brother at your side, isn’t there, Kitty? Very well, if Charles would like to come, I don’t see why not, if it would make the move easier for you. What do you say, Master Charles? Would you like to come to Sizergh with me, and support my husband in a house full of females?”

Stifling a giggle and drawing himself upright as Anne treated him as a young gentleman, Charles nodded solemnly, “Yes, please, Lady – I mean, Cousin Anne.”

“Good,” Anne touched his shoulder, “I’m glad to hear it. Run along and ask the nurses to pack your bags. And tell Margaret and Mary they’re coming with us. We ride for London in the morning.”

Charles nodded and tugged Kitty’s hand. They shot out of the room like bullets, giggling madly, leaving Anne to the mercies of her exasperated and impatient cousin Isabel.

Anne is so sweet here...
She was barely ready to take one more child in her household and then Kitty, Charles and I suspect also Isabel persuaded her to take two children with her in few moments...

Anne is so sweet here...
She was barely ready to take one more child in her household and then Kitty, Charles and I suspect also Isabel persuaded her to take two children with her in few moments...
She sees a lot of herself and George in Charles and Kitty, so yes, she is easy to persuade to take Charles as well as Kitty with her.

I'd expect Thomas Boleyn would be proud of his kinsman then... Perhaps Charles could marry a niece of Henry Percy, like Joan if any are of appropriate age???
Good thought, but Kitty is marrying Anne and Harry's son and heir, so there's no real need for a double Howard-Percy match in their generation...