The Quarter-BAM project

quarterbamKaisreich1936.png

A Still WIP Map of Kaiserreich.

As I plan to make my first alternate Quarter-Bam (of a specific state though), I want to say that I really like this project and this basemap format! Thanks for all your work, and I would love some more historical maps to be finished soon.

I think it is more sensible to make coastlines the colour 0, 0, 0 and national borders the colour 17, 17, 17. This is easily changeable by first making all national borders 17, 17, 17 and then switching the coastlines to 0, 0, 0.

Last edited:
quarterbamKaisreich1936.png

With the New Russian update removing the Alash Order and Transamur, I've updated the map, as well as finishing the small Islands, thus completing the Map for Kaisreich.

quarterbam-1-01-1836-WIP.png

WIP Nothern Europe of 1836-37, Germany was hell in this period. I tried to remake Prussia's eastern border because it looked kinda weird in my opinion. Someone said the lakes are kinda big and i agree with him.

@EDIT: Oh yes, i also thought Germany coastline near Mecklenburg was weird and tried to fix it. If it is wrong, please tell me...

Last edited:
Someone said the lakes are kinda big and i agree with him.
Well they are indeed exaggerated, some lakes in places such as Mexico or Argentina have more pixels than their Q-BAM equivalents, while lakes that do not have water pixels such as the French Guyana reservoir have not one but two. I don't get this weird fixation of lakes needing to have at least one pixel of water as can be seen in worlDA's. Also it looks like the lakes in Finland and Sweden would look better if we pushed the shoreline one pixel inwards like this.
1618603870770.png

Well they are indeed exaggerated, some lakes in places such as Mexico or Argentina have more pixels than their Q-BAM equivalents, while lakes that do not have water pixels such as the French Guyana reservoir have not one but two. I don't get this weird fixation of lakes needing to have at least one pixel of water as can be seen in worlDA's. Also it looks like the lakes in Finland and Sweden would look better if we pushed the shoreline one pixel inwards like this.
View attachment 643182
Exactly that, i agree that trimming down smaller and unnimportant lakes to coastline pixels seems better, otherway they get in the way of representing land. Like in South Baden where Lake Costance swallows 3 pixels.

Coastlines in general i found to be pretty good, although the Adriatic can be improved and the Baltic swallows north-western Mecklenburg.

View attachment 643182
I have already patched Finland's lakes on the 2021 Quarter-Bam, as well as other places (notably Canada, which I did myself).

quarterbam-01-01-1836-WIP.png

Russia, Central Asia and the Middle East are done in the 1836-37. I think i will review it later, them work towards completing Eurasia. Also, i substituted the old Finnish lakes with the patch @erictom333 made.

quarterbam2021.png

Added: Rwanda, Burundi, Lestoho, eSwatini, Bhutan primary subdivisions; Saudi Arabia, Nepal, Bangladesh secondary subdivisions; India tertiary subdivisions (WIP).