The Quarter-BAM project

Thread opener/ complete 2020 basemap
Have you ever felt like the Q-Bam is way too big, to the point where feel like your family has been working on this map for generations and you finally finish only to realize you haven't even started on Asia yet?
Have you ever felt like the WorldA is way too small, to the point where you cant even show any detail because one pixel takes up the entirety of Slovenia?

Well introducing the Quarter-BAM the solution to all your map-making needs

Pros-
About halfway between the size of a WorldA and & Q-BAM, The perfect compromise! (2487 x 1259)
Super easy to convert a map from Q-BAM to Quarter-Bam, just half the height and width of the Q-BAM!

Cons-
N/A

But in all seriousness, I do feel that this community needs a map of this size, or at least I do, the worlda feels too small for any real detail and the Q-BAM is just really big and unwieldy
I am making this mainly because this is how I feel, but if anyone wants to help me please feel free, I know there are better mappers and artists on this site than me, and collaboration is the best way to make a high quality product

That said, this is what I have so far. Great Britain, The Mediterranean Coast, and much of Southern Africa
WIP1QuarterBAM.png

BIG UPDATE!
The quarter-BAM is finished!
Big thanks to @erictom333 for making the 2020 political map and for picking up where i left off in Canada
More historical maps/patches on the way!
quarterbam2021.png

Last edited:
Have you ever felt like the Q-Bam is way too big, to the point where feel like your family has been working on this map for generations and you finally finish only to realize you haven't even started on Asia yet?
Have you ever felt like the WorldA is way too small, to the point where you cant even show any detail because one pixel takes up the entirety of Slovenia?

Always.gif

Well folks, here is part 2 of [undefined]
QuarterBAMp2.png

Patch notes:
-Finished Africa
-Finished Western Europe
-Coastline of Eastern Europe & Middle East Traced

Is this simply a downsized qbam, or are you using a non-frankenstein projection like Robinson or k7?
it is just a downsized q-bam, I mainly started this for ease of drawing, because there are just more patches and basemaps in Q-Bam than most other projections, and I figured that it would be easier to scale down the Q-bam than to scale up the WorldA, but if you were to increase the size of a Worlda by 4 times (ex. 1px WorldA = 4px on the bigger Worlda) It would create a very similarly sized map

Also, i didn't know that the q-bam isnt an actual projection, what exactly makes it non accurate?

That's from 2016. Many of the patches today are incompatible with the Q-BAM as it was back then. Also the Q-BAM meridian is somewhere around Oslo such that the easternmost parts of the Chukotka Peninsula is not cut off from the rest of it.
Most of the patches are just isolated coastline fixes, not an adjustment of entire continents. Even with an adjusted meridian, Robinson and K7 still do not fit within the shape of the map; in which you're now required to use photoshop and warp it.

Crete is open, the lines don't touch each other

Thank you, I caught this earlier today, along with other small open bits in southern and western africa, but I only want to post when I feel significant progress has been made, so I don't plan on posting new images every time I find a missing pixel. expect the next post to have everything west of india done

Also, for the time being, take note of the fact that I will not color the map until the base map is finished completely, the coastlines are pure black and the background is still pure white, and will be for the time being, for my convenience, but I will color it properly once it is finished

Quarter-BAM progress update #3
QuarterBAMp3.png

Patch Notes:
-Added several small-mid sized Islands and Island Nations
--Such as Svalbard, The Maldives, Ascension, St. Helena, The Kerguelen Islands, and Diego Garcia
-Added several central Eurasian Lakes, such as Balkhash and Baikal
-More or less everything west of the Yenisei and India is finished

This reminds me greatly of the earlier WorldM and EqualC projects. Not saying this doesn't have its own niche- but it might do well to examine those.

This reminds me greatly of the earlier WorldM and EqualC projects. Not saying this doesn't have its own niche- but it might do well to examine those.

Yes, I have seen those. I think the main problem with them and why people haven't adopted them en masse is that there just aren't a bunch of patches and historical maps made on the format. The main reason why I chose to scale down the Q-BAM into the ¼-BAM instead of scaling up the WorldA into a hypothetical Macro-WorldA is because I figured it would be way easier to simplify the Q-BAM than to complexify the WorldA

My target with this project is compatibility and convenience, Half the length and width of a Q-Bam, and you get a ¼-Bam. Using a new, nonstandard projection will cause serious problems for you if you actually want you map to be widely used, because there aren't any base maps that already exist and it is GIS incompatible.

I can't wait to see this, I will most likely be using this map when it's done.

Thank you

More progress has been made on the map
QuarterBAMp4.png

Finished Mainland Asia and Japan
Colored Land and Water

Indonesia and the Philippines are next
Australia and Papua after that
Then the Pacific Islands