The Q-BAM Improvement and Core Thread

Alright, as the CS Basemap has grown more and more accurate, the Q-BAM, do to it not being used as much, has seen few updates and is in many ways
now less accurate than the CS Basemap.

Now, I have myself been working on the Q-BAM, but it's really a multi-person project.

So, to make the Q-BAM update and as accurate as possible I've decided to create this thread as a way of coordinating improvements on it.

Major things needing to be done;
-Coastlines, especially of the larger islands.
-Many borders across the globe.
-Addition of the various missing islands.
-Corrections to already existing islands and island groups.
-Adding islandic borders.

For size and accuracies sake when you do an improvement(s) as patches rather than posting the whole map.

The below map is the most up-to-date version as of 8:14am PST, November 25th, 2011, it should not be seen as the most updated after this point, but rather as a source map for updates.

Map Link.

Last edited:
I'll see if I have time to get up a rivers-only blank basemap.

Their actually is one of the Old World.

I think their might be one of the New World as well, however given that many of the NW ones are incorrect, and Qa left before he posted a corrected version..

Does that map have the Switzerland improvements I posted a while back on it. I can't quite tell.

Also, if you're going to use grey intead of white for uncoloured countries, it would be better for the internal borders to be darker.

Does that map have the Switzerland improvements I posted a while back on it. I can't quite tell.

It does, yes, though I overlayed the lakes on top of it since it was missing them.

Also, if you're going to use grey intead of white for uncoloured countries, it would be better for the internal borders to be darker.

It's just the most up to date version I had, people can change it to White or just add the patches and change the color if need be.

Do we have a Q-BAM that has all the internal borders of all nations?

What I'd love is primary (countries), secondary (first-level internal divisions), and tertiary (counties) divisions on one map. It'd have to be vector, though; I can't imagine a PNG being allowed to be large enough to handle all that.

I have a large vector map that doesn't have the counties, but it's certainly large enough to handle them. Putting them all on myself, though? Nope. :p

I've updated the abve map to feature the Bhutan patch I'd forgot to add, removed some coloring, shrank the white space and made the rest of it the 'space' color used on the CS Basemaps.

From this point o though anymore changes I do I'll of course post as patches as meant.

Just finished UCSify the Q-bam. I may have missed some of the Islands in Weird Places.

Here is western Emisphere

UCS-BAM_west.PNG

While I suppose that does technically qualify, I created this thread more to actually improve the Basemap itself, not make a bunch of different versions of it.

Also, as I requested, please do not post the whole thing or even the hemispheres, as it uses up more bandwidth than is needed and stretches the thread pages.

Few quick fixes.

Venezuelan claim on Essequibo, Guyana:

lPYRw.png

South Sudanese claim on Ilemi Triangle, Kenya:

MVuOW.png

Transitional Darfur Regional Authority and South Sudanese claim on Abyei:

4bY0m.png

While I suppose that does technically qualify, I created this thread more to actually improve the Basemap itself, not make a bunch of different versions of it.

Also, as I requested, please do not post the whole thing or even the hemispheres, as it uses up more bandwidth than is needed and stretches the thread pages.

I think I'm understanding that this is more a geographic than a historic thread then.

Wilco.

I think I'm understanding that this is more a geographic than a historic thread then.

Wilco.

Well you can add historic Q-BAM maps, this is afterall meant to be a core thread as well, though if they're large, provide them as links, rather than direct uploads, but the immediate concern right now is meant to actually updated, fix and make accurate the Basemap itself.

Few quick fixes.

Great start! :)

Last edited:
To avoid multiple fixes of the same, would it be possible for you to update the map at the start of the thread as they're posted?

I could for a few days, but their's a limit on how long you can edit a post.

I'll change it to a normal link of the now updated version with a discalimer.