The Q-BAM Improvement and Core Thread

Another small island patch! Did up the Daito Islands.

X4 Daito patch.png

Patched up the Outer Hebrides, Orkney Islands and Shetland Islands. EDIT: patched the Faroes and Rockall.
Scottish Islands 2.png

Last edited:
That's quite a change to the Islands;
comparison [Top = current]

View attachment 803683

Does anyone else have thoughts on this?
It's worth reflecting that these Northern islands are at very high latitudes, which are the most distorted on most two-dimensional maps. Since the Q-Bam is not a standard projection, I'd suggest deciding exactly where these pixels should be placed is tricky, to say the least.

Assuming that this is basically Robinson, the new patch seems better to my eye. I definitely think Rockall is right to be closer to the British Isles and that Faeroe should be more compressed in the North-South direction. The question is, are we wanting to "Robinsonify" the Q-Bam further? If we are, I'd also be interested in hearing if people agree that the patch is superior.

That's quite a change to the Islands;

Does anyone else have thoughts on this?
I do not see it as being any more drastic a change than when you redid all of the Pacific. And everyone just accepted that right off the bat, myself included. My process has become that of comparing the longitute and latitude of an area through proportions. For instance, an island 36w and 14e should be located at a point of x=126/180 and y=204/360 (to compensate for the QBAM's non-meridian centering). That led me to conclude that Rockall needed to be moved further east. And when I was in that general area, I noticed similar inconsistences with other Scottish islands. It's just math, Bob.

EDIT: I do want to state that I've been using this method for awhile. It's the main reason why most of my patches are tiny islands, since that's actually the easiest thing in the world to compute. I have been working on a a full-up 7500 width BAM using this same method, but that's a years-long project, so I'll still be doing my tiny island patches to the QBAM in the meantime.

Last edited:
Hello! Here's my attempt at an improved topology map for Q-BAM. It's quite a large file though, I'd have to split it into 10 pieces to post it directly here which would be extremely frustrating for anyone wanting to use it. Here's a drive link instead: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TbSNvj8jIXvD6Fb56jyd7X1UYXhl02wi/view?usp=sharing
I can show you a preview:
1674565285599.png

I had to manually align the map pretty much everywhere, this process was extremely painful and took many hours. I had to align every island, every tiny bit of coast, and more. Even after all of this it's still not aligned well, especially in the arctic and eastern asia. I tried as much as I could, but I'm tired of having to look at this map and just want it out, it's good enough and better than the best we had, no?

Hello! Here's my attempt at an improved topology map for Q-BAM. It's quite a large file though, I'd have to split it into 10 pieces to post it directly here which would be extremely frustrating for anyone wanting to use it. Here's a drive link instead: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TbSNvj8jIXvD6Fb56jyd7X1UYXhl02wi/view?usp=sharing
I can show you a preview:
View attachment 805046
I had to manually align the map pretty much everywhere, this process was extremely painful and took many hours. I had to align every island, every tiny bit of coast, and more. Even after all of this it's still not aligned well, especially in the arctic and eastern asia. I tried as much as I could, but I'm tired of having to look at this map and just want it out, it's good enough and better than the best we had, no?
This is definitely the best we've had, good job!

On the first map of the Republic of the USSR in 1989. On the second, the same countries 33 years later

Attachments

• 1989.png
    1989.png
    302.5 KB · Views: 295
  • Новейшая карта СНГ с железными дорогами.png
    Новейшая карта СНГ с железными дорогами.png
    422.6 KB · Views: 285
Ethnographic map of Russia
If this is a recent map we should keep in mind that there are serious arguments about how reliable current Russian census statistics can be compared to any number coming out from Putin's Russia today, Turkic minorities are claiming they have to really struggle to not be counted automatically as Russians in the census so that even with the falling Russian birth rates the map still looks a conveniently nice uniform pink colour all around...

Crazy Boris

Banned
India's districts needs an overhaul, there's been a lot of reorganization there the last few years, and especially Arunachal Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, and Telangana are totally outdated

This is excellent - great work! The old one was good, but I have to admit that I didn't like looking at places like Russia where its sorta just blobs with only 2 or 3 height levels. This one looks much much much better.

test.png

If you combine it with @Bob Hope's bathymetry and rivers, plus a little bit of aesthetics tweaking, I think it ends up looking really really nice.

If this is a recent map we should keep in mind that there are serious arguments about how reliable current Russian census statistics can be compared to any number coming out from Putin's Russia today, Turkic minorities are claiming they have to really struggle to not be counted automatically as Russians in the census so that even with the falling Russian birth rates the map still looks a conveniently nice uniform pink colour all around...
The Russian censuses have been showing the Russian proportion of the population declining in several republics. I know there are some in the ethnic minority diaspora who make claims about their numbers being way higher but they generally tend to be the same people who think there's a mass support for independence in, say, Bashkortostan. Not reliable.

The Russian censuses have been showing the Russian proportion of the population declining in several republics. I know there are some in the ethnic minority diaspora who make claims about their numbers being way higher but they generally tend to be the same people who think there's a mass support for independence in, say, Bashkortostan. Not reliable.
I mean who would have thought in 1985 Kazakstan or Azerbaijan would be independent in about 5 years right? People can be very unreliable, especially when the oppression falls apart :)

I mean who would have thought in 1985 Kazakstan or Azerbaijan would be independent in about 5 years right? People can be very unreliable, especially when the oppression falls apart :)
I was gonna reply to this with "well yeah but Azerbaijan was 80%+ Azeri in '89 so it can't really be compared to the modern minority republics" but then I checked and apparently the Kazakh SSR was only 40% Kazakh to 38% Russian in the 1989 census, so who knows! For comparison: according to the 2021 census Bashkortostan is 33% Bashkir, 25% Tatar and 38% Russian. Tatarstan is 54% Tatar.

Has anyone ever tried to make a Q-BAM of the Human Footprint Index? I feel that this would also serve as a semi useful resource for maps like the Russian demographic one, since the regions which are hardly populated show up well in that dataset.