The Q-BAM Improvement and Core Thread

The bathymetry does not lined up here. View attachment 729249
This is v2 of the Bathymetry;
rYxyIWL.png

1649537885223.png

What is this you may ask? Well, it's a (rough) patch of Somaliland. (Wow..Somaaliland...casaan aad u badan ayaa aad ku haysaa halkaas!)

There's also Puntland on this map. Somaliland and Puntland do not like each other that much. Hence why so many red lines near the border.

Enjoy! (Sorry for the edits, I was fixing mistakes.)

Somaliland's and Puntland's emblems:

Attachments

• 1649537949280.png
    1649537949280.png
    48.2 KB · Views: 459
  • 1649538012496.png
    1649538012496.png
    117.5 KB · Views: 378
Last edited:
I actually think that's a great idea for a Q-BAM map. Especially if we use the ecoregions as defined on One Earth's website as a template. I'd take a more active role in doing that if I knew how to align their exact ecoregions to the Q-Bam map especially due to all of the maps that they use on their site being JPEGs compared to the PNGs used for the Q-BAM map . The most I can do at the moment is provide this link to their general bioregions overview page for more detail into the specific bioregions that could be used in the map due to my lack of knowledge on that front.
Sorry for taking this long to reply but thanks for that site, I think later on when I am done with what I'm doing now(may take as long as the end of the year), I'll start doing some of these. And really, thanks for it site it and some wikipedia Maps might actually make this doable.

What did you use to align this map?
I don't use geo-referencing qgis or anything like that. very old fashioned, mostly done by eye.
I overlaid the new map on my previous maps to achieve the terrain, re-did the rivers etc all by eye.
This is not as difficult as it seems as I keep any maps I do of this type in the same alignment so an entire world map can super-impose over another entire world map.

I'm going to have another try at qgis this year but frankly, I enjoy taking the time to produce minor details

What Apps do you guys use for Geo-referencing. I get its easier to do for stuff like X-BAMs but trying to do by eye is killing me.
What I do is go over the source map I'm using with bright colours in a new layer in PDN and then overlay it onto the basemap, that way you do things better than eyeballing but without needing to warp shit with gis.

I've been looking for something like this too, I'd even like a political Q-BAM map with 30 meter sea level rise because all the sea level rise base maps seem to be 60 or 70 or 100 meter sea level rise

Hey, I've been working on the Ganges, but the locator maps on wikipedia have different administrative boundaries, which makes it somewhat confusing to base it off of that map since theres just a couple discrepancies. This is mainly with their second-level divisions, but there are a few first level divisions which have some small differences between these maps and the qbam ones we edited.
I was wondering how much of India we ended up working on. I know we did coastlines, 3rd and 4th lvl divisions in a few states, but was there a big patch for India and the surrounding India? It's just throwing me off a bit working with different maps, and I'd like to know if I need to go through and make a couple patches here and there

Last edited:
I just found out that the eastern part of the Oregon-Washington border is one pixel higher than the North-South Dakota border. Both borders are defined along the 46th parallel, and from what I can tell based on the Oklahoma-Kansas (37th parallel), Kansas-Nebraska (40th parallel), Nebraska-South Dakota (43rd parallel), and US-Canada (49th parallel) borders, it's more likely that it's the Oregon-Washington border that is misplaced by one pixel, and therefore also misplaced other historical borders in the borderpool.
Actually, the ND/SD line is specifically based on 45'55 because of the Coteau des Prairies