The Q-BAM Improvement and Core Thread

If someone is interested, the bathymetric q-bam world map of the world is advancing very fast :) : https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/q-bam-historical-map-thread.404984/page-75

Thanks to Spinovenator !
I've been doing some work on the bathymetric qbam so if you'd wanna see that just let me know, in terms of a basemap with outlines for water bodies and land masses

Why not ?
Go on :)
bathymetricqbam1.png

this is as much as ive done so far, ill keep working on it

Hello Xasper !

Is everything all right with the map you're making ?
Can you show me the progress with the map so far please ?

Thank you and have a good day :)
No worries, this is how far I've gotten with visual referencing from OSM:
bathymetricqbam1.png

Some country borders are there, but those will undoubtedly be revised in future editions

This is awesome !
Do you need some help ? I'm ready to help you with the best I can :)
I've mostly left out the areas I think will be the most difficult, especially canada, greenland and the magallanes (which I'd like to work on myself), but any work on pacific islands and new zealand would be very much appreciated

EDIT: if absolutely anyone would want to help with lakes that would also be much appreciated

Last edited:
Is it just me, or is the South Orkney Islands placed too far south? They should be northeast of the South Shetland Islands, not southeast. As in, even Elephant Island should be southwest of it, but the map puts South Orkney on the same latitude as the northern bit of the Antarctic Peninsula.
1616584251352.png

I've mostly left out the areas I think will be the most difficult, especially canada, greenland and the magallanes (which I'd like to work on myself), but any work on pacific islands and new zealand would be very much appreciated

EDIT: if absolutely anyone would want to help with lakes that would also be much appreciated
Understand, I will help you for the Pacific islands and then I'll try the lakes.
Edit : I see that the coasts are not the same than those of the most recent versions of the Q-BAM. Are you trying to do a new version of the Q-BAM from the beginning ?
If that so, I'm not very good at it

Last edited:
Understand, I will help you for the Pacific islands and then I'll try the lakes.
Edit : I see that the coasts are not the same than those of the most recent versions of the Q-BAM. Are you trying to do a new version of the Q-BAM from the beginning ?
If that so, I'm not very good at it
Yeah, it is an entirely new basemap based on @Spinovenator 's re-projection here

It is my first time with something like this as well, but if you'd rather not dip your toes in with that in mind I wouldn't mind