The Q-BAM Improvement and Core Thread

incl Omsk, Tomsk, and Novosibirsk Oblasts and Snake Island

TNcIQMs.png
The amount of tiny lakes in this particular area of Russia seems a little excessive; no other area of the world is this meticulous with them, not even Canada with its nigh-infinite number of lakes. Previous Q-BAMs omit almost all of these small single-pixel lakes.
1670906064691.png

I think they should be removed.

The amount of tiny lakes in this particular area of Russia seems a little excessive; no other area of the world is this meticulous with them, not even Canada with its nigh-infinite number of lakes. Previous Q-BAMs omit almost all of these small single-pixel lakes.
View attachment 795532
As @Sharklord1 is working his way through Asia I think we can afford to wait on this until he gets trans-ural.
When he has completed that area I will be happy to add a layer to add/subtract the smaller lakes.

I disagree. That's simply how the Earth looks. Gotta map it, pimply lakes and all.

I disagree. That's simply how the Earth looks. Gotta map it, pimply lakes and all.
If this area is that inclusive with lakes, then the whole world should be. Having all those tiny lakes there just makes it look inconsistent with everything else. Either it's like 8K-BAM's ridiculous amount of lakes or you have to start cutting all the tiny ones.

Crazy Boris

Banned
I think we should establish a lake threshold, determine a certain diameter or surface area that makes a lake big enough to be included. I'm not sure what it could be or any lakes we could use as reference, but I think its a good start

I think we should establish a lake threshold, determine a certain diameter or surface area that makes a lake big enough to be included. I'm not sure what it could be or any lakes we could use as reference, but I think its a good start
First we need to know what the area of a pixel on the map is, then go from there

This is because the Q-BAM was not generated from GIS data and it is more of a compilation of patches made by different people with different criteria on what should or should not be shown. The original Q-BAM barely had any lakes or small islands and those have been added with time to represent the surface of the Earth more accurately, which is precisely what a map should aim at. Sure, simplicity is also relevant when working with maps, especially those designed to be edited with simple tools such as this one, but IMO we should prioritise accuracy, in a similar way as the R-QBAM project is doing, which again IMO, should replace Q-BAM in its entirety once finished.

This is because the Q-BAM was not generated from GIS data and it is more of a compilation of patches made by different people with different criteria on what should or should not be shown. The original Q-BAM barely had any lakes or small islands and those have been added with time to represent the surface of the Earth more accurately, which is precisely what a map should aim at. Sure, simplicity is also relevant when working with maps, especially those designed to be edited with simple tools such as this one, but IMO we should prioritise accuracy, in a similar way as the R-QBAM project is doing, which again IMO, should replace Q-BAM in its entirety once finished.
I also fully believe in the R-QBAM as a perfect replacement for the Q-BAM, but there's still a good couple of years before we reach that point (the main map isn't even finished, most countries lack subdivisions, very few historical patches). I'm arguing more from the perspective that the map should look consistent. If all the small lakes in the area are going to be kept, then more small lakes should be added all over the world. The R-QBAM already has plenty of lakes that the Q-BAM doesn't have, and many have a completely wrong shape in the latter.

I wouldn't be opposed to taking the opposite direction of adding as many lakes as possible beyond a threshold, because then the map would look consistent.

I'm arguing more from the perspective that the map should look consistent. If all the small lakes in the area are going to be kept, then more small lakes should be added all over the world
That's what people have been doing as of late, at a slow pace one must admit. I did several of those patches years ago, but don't really feel like continuing, so maybe you could lend a hand with the process, overall we aren't as dedicated to it as we could be.

If this area is that inclusive with lakes, then the whole world should be. Having all those tiny lakes there just makes it look inconsistent with everything else. Either it's like 8K-BAM's ridiculous amount of lakes or you have to start cutting all the tiny ones.
Lakes in Central Russia.png

This is where I got them from. I'm totally fine with removing them if people agree some are too small. The basemap I used was just showing them where they were practically non-existant before, but zooming in can always throw some metrics off

image.png

Howdy folks, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but I've been trying to hunt down this version of the QBAM. The nations added aren't my own, I talked to the map's OP on the r/imaginarymaps Discord sevrer and he didn't remember where he got his basemap from, which is why I've come to y'all. Any pointers or leads as to where I might be able to find this QBAM version (specifically, the light grey "province" borders) would be much appreciated!

image.png

Howdy folks, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but I've been trying to hunt down this version of the QBAM. The nations added aren't my own, I talked to the map's OP on the r/imaginarymaps Discord sevrer and he didn't remember where he got his basemap from, which is why I've come to y'all. Any pointers or leads as to where I might be able to find this QBAM version (specifically, the light grey "province" borders) would be much appreciated!
Yeah, I also remember finding this map a few times.

Maybe Google will help? I'll go check...

image.png

Is this it? Courtesy of DinoSpain on DeviantArt.

Added in the Plazas de Soberania islands in the Alboran Sea. They're real tiny and normally would not be shown on QBAM, but decided to throw them in for posterity.
Alboran Patch.png