The Q-BAM Improvement and Core Thread

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by Iori, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Diecube Member

Thank you guys ! i'm looking forward to see the result

2. Chris S Member

Western donut hole in the gulf of mexico is outdated but other EEZs seem correct

3. Frank Hart Be Who You Want To Be

Perhaps we could have the Agencies of the Navajo Nation? It's surely large enough to merit inclusion, right?

4. Crazy Boris Cool Dood

[​IMG]

It could probably be done, how would the borders be shown though? I don’t think any color schemes have a color for internal borders of reservations, using the regular border color would just make it look like it’s five separate territories.

5. Sharklord1 Well-Known Member

So i tried doing the Navajo Nation reservation. I had to edit the existing eastern borders of the whole reservation because there wasn't nearly enough land for the Eastern Agency.
    Navajo Nation.png

Chris S, Drex, Frank Hart and 5 others like this.
  6. Neneveh A female forum user. Yes, be afraid!

Yet again asking for an updated map file. Hope that's okay.

7. Drex Alférez de caballería

Here. Also featuring a patch of Argentina's second levels.

8. Neneveh A female forum user. Yes, be afraid!

So, while working on a new EEZ map, since I saw that a couple of people were poking around for an updated version, I came across something that put me into Really? mode. The place I live, easter North Carolina, had a couple of major goofs regarding its counties. Firstly, somebody apparently thought Carteret County was two counties, although where the apparent dividing line was drawn there is a canal, the Intercoastal Waterway, so that is somewhat excusable. Pamlico and Craven Counties I guess were considered to be one county, which I find personally hilarious because I live in Craven County and Pamlico is essentially our arch-rival across the Nuese River (in local sports, at least). Beaufort County was apparently too big for someone's liking, so they chopped it up into three for no apparent reason. I'm also not exactly sure what's going on with Hyde, Tyrell and Washington Counties, but I can tell you that plus sign is not what it looks like on a road atlas. It's also important to note that the Outer Banks extend further south than the QBAM traditionally ends them at. These islands are uninhabited, as they serve as the Cape Lookout National Seashore (federal land), but are just as thick and noticeable as there inhabited brethren to the north, and thus should be shown.

Carolina B.png Before
    Carolina after.png After

Now that I'm done ranting about my home being butchered by an anonymous editor, I wish to express the that we here need to stop relying on old QBAMs for our updates. I looked back and found this county mistake through several years of QBAMs, possibly to the first that showed US counties. North Carolina counties was apparently supposed to have been improved upon earlier this year, but I see no evidence of that. It looks like many of the counties in the US were simply recolored and repackaged versions of the same mistakes that have been shoveled out year-after-year. I know we're better than that.

Chris S, Miner, Diecube and 5 others like this.
  9. Neneveh A female forum user. Yes, be afraid!

Another small island patch, this one for the southwest Caribbean. Added Islas Santanilla/Swan Islands (Honduras), Pedro and Morant Cays (Jamaica), Ile de Providencia and Cayos Roncador (Colombia), and Alto Velo Island (disputed between the United States and Dominican Republic). Also split up the border boxes for Bajo Nuevo and Serranilla Bank, since they are claimed by different countries, similar to how I split up the competing claims in the South China Sea.
    Southwest Caribbean Patch.png

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    Crazy Boris, Miner, Diecube and 3 others like this.
  10. Kolafloro Guardian of the Sky and Sea

They are these islands:
    20.203274,-91.962100
    22.114805,-91.398097

11. Neneveh A female forum user. Yes, be afraid!

Hmm. I had to look in Google's satellite view to find them, but indeed you are right, there are objects at those locations. I guess scrap my Gulf of Mexico patch.

12. Neneveh A female forum user. Yes, be afraid!

Yet another of my famous small island patches. Moved Farsi (Iran), as it was not in the correct location. Added Qaruh (Kuwait), Karan/Kurayn as one 1x2 pixel (Saudi Arabia), and Halul and Shira'awh (Qatar).
    Persian Gulf Islands patch.png

13. Pressedflowers I listened to the Cure, and then I cried.

Is there a sham of the continental divides here in North America?

14. Diecube Member

With your help, the Q-Bam will be more precise than ever : its great !
    Thank you for all your dedication and i'm really looking forward to see the new EEZ map

15. Neneveh A female forum user. Yes, be afraid!

A preview of that new EEZ map. Should be finished within a week.

[​IMG]

16. Frank Hart Be Who You Want To Be

Still no new progress in Chinese third-level subdivisions?

Admiral A. Kolchak likes this.
  17. davidjl123 Member

Is there a template for the history of the Dutch coastline; if so, may someone post it here? Thanks

18. Sharklord1 Well-Known Member

19. Sharklord1 Well-Known Member

Did a coastal and lake patch for Sweden, Saaremaa, and Hiiumaa (Saarema and Hiiumaa are the big islands off the coast of estonia)
    Sweden, Saaremaa, and Hiiumaa.png

Miner, Kolafloro, Diecube and 3 others like this.
  20. Neneveh A female forum user. Yes, be afraid!

Moved Banc du Gyser, as it was wrongly located northwest instead of southwest of Glorioso Island.

Added Rockall, west of Scotland.

Banc du Gyser Patch.png Rockall Patch.png

Miner, Shaymin0000, Kolafloro and 5 others like this.