The Q-BAM Improvement and Core Thread

@Drex BTW, my Southern Indian Ocean patch was off due to what I mistook as the Prime Meridian, so it should be removed the latest version. It just needs to be moved to the left a bit. The size and latitude are accurate.

Also patched the Lena River, it was awfully wrong. Yakutia's subdivisions are that bad aswell, but I'm not good enough to properly patch them.
upload_2019-8-7_13-53-48.png

EDIT: I tried
upload_2019-8-7_20-51-31.png

Last edited:
East Punjab.png

East Punjab Patch.
I posted this because I have a question about the color scheme for India. Why are they fourth levels and not third levels?

I have a question. Since this map has several dried lakebeds that have been deprived of water for thousands of years, would it not also make sense to showcase major shoreline changes since the beginning of the Holocene Era (about 10,000 BCE)? I'm especially thinking about the Black Sea, the Persian Gulf, and Doggerland, not to mention man-made land reclamation such as can be found in the Netherlands.

EDIT: Also, would it not be possible for dried lakebed boundaries to present a different color? I'm thinking the best system would be (in RGB format):

- Ocean/Lake (large bodies of standing water) = 180-220-224
- Sea Ice = 217-133-247
- River (no boundary) = 138-190-226
- Former coastline (including dried lakes) = 202-219-231

Last edited:
I have a question. Since this map has several dried lakebeds that have been deprived of water for thousands of years, would it not also make sense to showcase major shoreline changes since the beginning of the Holocene Era (about 10,000 BCE)? I'm especially thinking about the Black Sea, the Persian Gulf, and Doggerland, not to mention man-made land reclamation such as can be found in the Netherlands.

EDIT: Also, would it not be possible for dried lakebed boundaries to present a different color? I'm thinking the best system would be (in RGB format):

- Ocean/Lake (large bodies of standing water) = 180-220-224
- Sea Ice = 217-133-247
- River (no boundary) = 138-190-226
- Former coastline (including dried lakes) = 202-219-231
Not on this qbam, but definitely on another that would be devoted to those specific changes. The reason of this is because these dry lake-beds still exist in present day, whereas shoreline changes have often changed a lot over the course of thousands of years, and did not continue into the present day. So while I do like that idea, it shouldn't be on this specific qbam but perhaps on another.
Regardless, you could probably post updates of that kind to here or the historical qbam thread.

NM reservations, some mexican and central american municipalities, paraguayan districts, uruguayan municipalities, Maldives subdivisions, corrected Sergipe shape, corrected old Aral sea and Dongting lake shape, Syrian Sub-districts and added some Zambian districts
Patches_8.png

Last edited:
Hello everyone ! I am a new member

Congratulations for you're amazing work to perfect the Q-BAM map !

I would like to know if someone could create a Q-BAM map with just the bathymetry. I know Ashtagon had already created a map with bathymetry and topography but unfortunately, the dimensions of his map are not just like those of the Q-BAM.
I would like to keep just the bathymetry, because i find all these shades of blue absolutely beautiful and i plan to add the borders and the exclusive economic zones for the countries later

https://www.deviantart.com/ashtagon/art/Now-with-a-coastline-layer-639754424

Can anyone draw the borders of Romanian election constituencies and the Municipalities of Norway, or are they too small?
The Municipalities of Norway can and should be done. Smaller areas such as Tunisia's second divisions have been done already so it would be no difficulty. The case of Romania is different, firts because these are not administrative but rather voting subdivisions (as US Congressional Districts) and have no validity here and second because those of the senate and the chamber of deputies are different and we would be forced to make a choice.

The Municipalities of Norway can and should be done. Smaller areas such as Tunisia's second divisions have been done already so it would be no difficulty. The case of Romania is different, firts because these are not administrative but rather voting subdivisions (as US Congressional Districts) and have no validity here and second because those of the senate and the chamber of deputies are different and we would be forced to make a choice.
If we’re going to do the municipalities of Norway, someone should go ahead and do a coastal patch as well. It’ll fix the fjords and other land masses and give room for the tiny municipalities in it

Hello everyone ! I am a new member

Congratulations for you're amazing work to perfect the Q-BAM map !

I would like to know if someone could create a Q-BAM map with just the bathymetry. I know Ashtagon had already created a map with bathymetry and topography but unfortunately, the dimensions of his map are not just like those of the Q-BAM.
I would like to keep just the bathymetry, because i find all these shades of blue absolutely beautiful and i plan to add the borders and the exclusive economic zones for the countries later

https://www.deviantart.com/ashtagon/art/Now-with-a-coastline-layer-639754424
That map uses the Kavraiskiy projection, which is mathematically determined. QBAM isn't mathematically determined; it is essentially a drawing of a projection, rather than an actual projection. There are known inaccuracies in the position of continents. This means that you can't simply take the NASA bathymetry data and re-project it onto a QBAM blank canvas.

That map uses the Kavraiskiy projection, which is mathematically determined. QBAM isn't mathematically determined; it is essentially a drawing of a projection, rather than an actual projection. There are known inaccuracies in the position of continents. This means that you can't simply take the NASA bathymetry data and re-project it onto a QBAM blank canvas.
My mistake Ashtagon !

I was thinking it was possible because of these maps : one i've seen in the XK-BAM map series (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1dQKogx8fkdZk7-pvOS2jz5OdCEysO1km) and the other i've seen in the Q-BAM Improvement and Core Thread (https://www.deviantart.com/stauffenberg1944/art/2018-full-780241588?ga_submit_new=10:1546931191)

I still hope to find a map with the exclusive economic zones

Thank you for your answer