The Pythagorean NFL

Now it's time for the second 2017 NFC Wild Card Game from TCF Bank Stadium in Minneapolis. Game time temperature is 17 degrees, with light snow and a southeast wind at 3 MPH.

The Rams scored first after taking the opening kickoff. Jared Goff completed passes of fourteen yards to Robert Woods and sixteen yards to Tyler Higbee, and the drive reached the Vikes' twenty-seven before stalling. Greg Zuerlein's forty-four yard field goal attempt was right down the middle, and the Rams led 3-0 with 10:14 left in the opening period.

The Vikes answered with a touchdown. The key play of the drive was made by running back Latavius Murray. who bolted up the middle on a draw play for forty-four yards and a first down at the Rams' fourteen, On second and nine from the thirteen, Murray ran the same play into the end zone for the touchdown. The extra point snap was muffed, but holder Ryan Quigley rescued it and threw a pass to reserve running back Dalvin Cook, who made the catch at the goal line and stepped into the end zone for the two-point conversion. With 7:24 left in the opening period, the Vikes had an 8-3 lead.

The Rams answered with a field goal. Pharoh Cooper returned the ensuing kickoff all the way to his own forty-nine, and Goff immediately completed a twenty-three yard pass to Cooper Kupp. The drive eventually reached the Minnesota twenty-six, but Todd Gurley was thrown for a four-yard loss on first down, and a pair of false starts ended their touchdown hopes. The drive eventually got back to the thirty-five, where Zuerlein faced a fifty-two yard attempt into the teeth of a snow squall. The kick started out wide left, but reversed course and went through the uprights at the last moment. With 5:04 left in the opening quarter, it was Vikes 8, Rams 6.

The Vikes' next touchdown drive straddled the first and second quarters. Quarterback Case Keenum was on fire, completing all six of his passes. Adam Thielen caught a pair for twelve and fifteen yards, and Stefon Diggs caught three for twelve, eleven, and fifteen, the latter going for the touchdown. For the second time, there was a bad snap on the extra point attempt, and Kai Forbath's kick sailed wide right. With 13:41 left in the first half, the Vikes led 14-6.

The Rams answered with a touchdown of their own, Goff found Sammy Watkins over the middle for twenty yards, and Gurley caught a fifteen-yard screen pass that gave the Rams a first down at the Vikes' thirteen. From there, Goff found a wide-open Woods in the end zone for the score. Coach Sean McVay decided to kick the extra point instead of going for two, and Zuerlein converted to cut the Minnesota lead to 14-13 with less than ten minutes to play in the half.

The Rans took the lead with another touchdown just before the half. Running back Jerick McKinnon was stripped of the ball by Aaron Donald, and strong safety John Johnson made the recovery at the Minnesota thirty-three. Goff connected with Woods for twelve yards and a first down, and two plays later from the nineteen he fired for Kupp, who made a diving one-handed catch in the end zone for the score. Zuerlein's extra point gave the Rams a 20-14 halftime lead.

The Rams added a field goal midway through the third quarter. Goff found Kupp with a pair of key passes; one went for seventeen yards, while the other went for twenty-five and a first down at the Vikes' twenty-eight. The drive stalled at the twenty-six, but Zuerlein connected from forty-three yards out to extend the Rams' lead to 23-14 with exactly seven minutes left in the third period.

The Vikes countered with a field goal of their own. McKinnon's kickoff return set up the offense at their own thirty-six, and the drive's big play was Keenum's forty-six yard bomb to reserve wideout Jarius Wright, which gave the Vikes a first and goal at the LA nine-yard line. The drive reached inside the one before a third-down screen pass to McKinnon lost two yards. Forbath was thus faced with a twenty-yard attempt, which he converted to cut the Rams' lead to 23-17 with 1:54 left in the quarter.

The Rams' next drive straddled the third and fourth quarters. Goff found Higbee for thirteen yards and a first down, and Gurley burst up the middle for eighteen yards and a first and goal at the Minnesota eleven. The drive stalled at the six, but Zuerlein's twenty-three yard chip shot extended the Rams' led to 26- 17 with 13:19 left in regulation time.

The Vikes answered with a field goal. The drive's biggest play came on third and twenty-three from the Minnesota thirty-five, as Keenum hit wide receiver Adam Thielen down the left sideline for a gain of twenty-seven. A sixteen-yard completion to Diggs gave the Purple Gang a first down at the Rams' twenty-two, but the offense could only gain one more yard. Forbath connected from thirty-eight yards out to bring the Vikes within 26-20 with 9:02 to play.

After the defense forced a three-and out, the Vikes scored again to take the lead. Keenum hit tight end Kyle Rudolph for gains of ten and twenty-two, then connected with Murray out of the backfield for fourteen more. McKinnon gained twelve on a draw play to give the Vikes a first down at the Rams' thirteen, and on the next play Cook raced through the middle and into the end zone for the touchdown. Forbath's extra point put the Vikes up 27-26 with less than four minutes remaining. The Rams got as far as the Minnesota eight on their final drive, but Goff's fourth-down pass was broken up in the end zone as time ran out, and the Vikes had survived. Final score: Minnesota 27, Los Angeles 26.

This report took more than one sim to put together for technical reasons, so there's no MVP and no statistics.

The following week, the Vikes traveled to Philadelphia to meet the Eagles in the NFC Championship Game. Nick Foles completed twenty-six of his thoirty-three passes for 352 yards and three touchdowns. Two of them went to Alshon Jeffery, who caught five passes for eighty-five yards, and one went to Torrey Smith, who caught five passes for sixty-nine yards. LaGarrette Blount added a rushing touchdown, and cornerback Patrick Robinson returned a Keenum interception fifty yards for a touchdown. The Vikes scored first on a twenty-five yard touchdown pass from Keenum to Rudolph, but didn't come close to scoring again.

The Eagles will represent the NFC in Super Bowl LII here at TCF Bank Stadium on Sunday, February 4.

Next: The Pats host the Chargers in the first AFC Divisional Playoff.

Thoughts?

You mean US Bank Stadium. TCF Bank Stadium is a college football stadium that was temporarially used by the Vikings for the 2014 and 15 seasons.

Here are the NFL champions from 1930 to 1939. Champions different from real life are in bold caps, while different runners-up are in plain bold:

1930: NEW YORK GIANTS (2)
1931: Green Bay Packers (2)
1932: Chicago Bears (2) Defeated Green Bay Packers 9-0 to win championship.
1933: Chicago Bears (3) Defeated New York Giants 23-21 to win championship.
1934: New York Giants (3) Defeated Detroit Lions 30-13 to win championship.
1935: GREEN BAY PACKERS (3) Defeated New York Giants 26-7 to win championship.
1936: CHICAGO BEARS (4) Defeated Boston Redskins 21-6 to win championship.
1937: Washington Redskins (1) Defeated Chicago Bears 28-21 to win championship.
1938: New York Giants (4) Defeated Green Bay Packers 23-17 to win championship.
1939: CHICAGO BEARS (5) Defeated Washington Redskins 27-0 to win championship.

Note 1: The Decatur Staleys moved to Chicago in 1921 and became the Bears in 1922.
Note 2: The 1932 Championship Game was held indoors at Chicago Stadium on an eighty-yard field. It was officially recognized as a championship game by the NFL on April 7, 2018.
Note 3: The 1936 Championship Game was held at the Polo Grounds in New York.

Next: We document 1940-49 in the NFL.

Thoughts?

No, Nerd, I mean TCF Bank Stadium. As I said earlier in the thread, U.S. Bank Stadium isn't recognized by WhatIfSports. I suppose I could have ignored it and used U.S. Bank anyway, but I thought it would be more fun to play the game outdoors, even though the result was the same. Plus, I didn't want to take a Super Bowl away from Minneapolis.

No, Nerd, I mean TCF Bank Stadium. As I said earlier in the thread, U.S. Bank Stadium isn't recognized by WhatIfSports. I suppose I could have ignored it and used U.S. Bank anyway, but I thought it would be more fun to play the game outdoors, even though the result was the same. Plus, I didn't want to take a Super Bowl away from Minneapolis.

Yes, the NFL's going to give a Superbowl to a city with a February climate like this.

The NFL's not going to give an outdoor winter Super Bowl to a city where temperatures can literally get this cold.

If you're wondering, that's a frozen lake. The ice is literally thick enough to support a car's weight.

frozen-lake-police-chase.jpg

They did in 1992; of course, they had the Metrodome then...

And they had it in US Bank Stadium in 2018. Here's a picture of the Metrodome, TCF Bank Stadium and US Bank Stadium, side by side.

Guess what TCF Bank Stadium doesn't have? Here's a little clue. They're not going to host a Super Bowl in the winter in Minnesota without an indoor stadium.

upload_2019-10-7_10-20-33.png

Call it ASB if you're so inclined; I wasn't going to sit at my computer for hours, or even minutes, thinking about the site of a Super Bowl I wasn't even going to sim.

1932: Chicago Bears (2) Defeated Green Bay Packers 9-0 to win championship.
Is this part of your timeline or not that the Packers lose to the Bears? If not, shouldn't it be the Portsmouth Spartans losing 9-0 to the Chicago Bears?

I don't remember if I commented here on your TL before but I like what you been doing.

Now let's document the NFL from 1940-49. Champions different from real life are in bold caps, while different runners-up are in regular bold.

1940: Chicago Bears (6) Defeated Washington Redskins 73-0 to win championship.
1941: Chicago Bears (7) Defeated New York Giants 37-9 to win championship.
1942: Washington Redskins (2) Defeated Chicago Bears 14-6 to win championship.
1943: Chicago Bears (8) Defeated Washington Redskins 41-21 to win championship.
1944: Green Bay Packers (4) Defeated New York Giants 14-7 to win championship.
1945: Cleveland Rams (1) Defeated Washington Redskins 15-14 to win championship.
1946: Chicago Bears (9) Defeated New York Giants 24-14 to win championship.
1947: CHICAGO BEARS (10) Defeated Philadelphia Eagles 20-14 to win championship.
1948: CHICAGO BEARS (11) Defeated Philadelphia Eagles 10-6 to win championship.
1949: CHICAGO BEARS (12) Defeated Philadelphia Eagles 6-3 to win championship.

Next: We document 1950-59.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Well, they held Super Bowl XLVIII in the New Meadowlands in New Jersey IOTL and ITTL, so anything's possible, IMO...

Let's not forget that Super Bowl XLV was held after an ice storm in Dallas...

2 points.

1. The average high in NYC in early February is in the low 40s. The average high in the Twin Cities is in the upper 20s.
2. NYC is the largest metro area in the Western hemisphere. The Twin Cities is barely larger than Montreal.

Now let's document 1950-1959. Champions different from real life are in bold caps, while different runners-up are in regular bold.

1950: LOS ANGELES RAMS (1) Defeated Philadelphia Eagles 10-7 to win championship.
1951: Los Angeles Rams (2) Defeated Cleveland Browns 24-17 to win championship,
1952: Detroit Lions (1) Defeated Cleveland Browns 17-7 to win championship.
1953: CLEVELAND BROWNS (1) Defeated San Francisco 49ers 9-6 to win championship.
1954: Cleveland Browns (2) Defeated Detroit Lions 56-10 to win championship.
1955: Cleveland Browns (3) Defeated Los Angeles Rams 38-14 to win championship.
1956: New York Giants (5) Defeated Chicago Bears 47-7 to win championship.
1957: CLEVELAND BROWNS (4) Defeated Baltimore Colts 19-7 to win championship.
1958: Baltimore Colts (1) Defeated New York Giants 23-17 in overtime to win championship.
1959: Baltimore Colts (2) Defeated New York Giants 31-16 to win championship.

Next: We cover the final six non-Super Bowl season in the NFL, 1960-65.

Now let's document 1960-65 in the NFL. Champions different from those in real life are in bold caps; different runners-up are in regular bold.

1960: GREEN BAY PACKERS (5) Defeated Cleveland Browns 28-14 to win championship.
1961: Green Bay Packers (6) Defeated New York Giants 37-0 to win championship.
1962: Green Bay Packers (7) Defeated New York Giants 16-7 to win championship.
1963: Chicago Bears (13) Defeated New York Giants 14-10 to win championship.
1964: Cleveland Browns (5) Defeated Baltimore Colts 27-0 to win championship.
1965: CHICAGO BEARS (14) Defeated Dallas Cowboys 24-10 to win championship.

Next: We begin to document the Super Bowl era by looking at 1966-1969.

Thoughts?

The idea of alternate history is to set up a universe where the NFL would hold their headline show in the second coldest city in the league, if that's what the person creating the scenario desires. If I'd wanted to move the game to another city, I would have. I know how cold Minneapolis was the week prior to Super Bowl LII; I remember the complaints about it vividly. Guess what? I chose to hold the game outdoors in that weather anyway just because I could.

Would I do it in real life? Almost certainly not. I might not have even done it if I'd had to actually sim the game. But all I had to do was transfer what happened in real life to a computer screen. Why would I take the time to worry about where a game is held when all I'm doing is transcribing the real-life result? It makes no sense to me.