I.XI | I Swear It's Everywhere - April 28, 1941
The giant doors leading to the office have suddenly opened. A smaller man clad in formal dark brown tuxedo appeared before the trio of Croatian representatives consisting of Foreign Affairs Minister Košutić, ambassador Šubašić and Major Petar M. Kvaternik [1]. He extended his hand toward the wide entrance, urging them to proceed.

Per favore, gentlemen.“

Each of them took a deep breath before following the limping Italian man.

The room they found themselves in was not as big as they expected, but the kitschiness and lavish design of furniture and walls certainly made them feel anxious and empty, just as they expected. The culprit was right in the middle of the room – Count Ciano looked up from his coffee cup, smiling generously at the three men.

Saluti! Please, take a seat, gentlemen.“

Just as Šubašić went to take a seat next to his colleagues he noticed a giant piece of paper taking up most of the table's surface. Its contents, however, were what made his stomach upset.

It showed the map of the Balkans – Romania safely took up the space between the map's upper edges and the Danube to the south, with Hungary's awkward protrusion going as far as Sfântu Gheorghe splitting the nation in half, almost resembling a male member. Serbia was a shadow of its former self, looking quite similar to its pre-Balkan Wars borders. The Vardar Banovina was mostly occupied by the brown color – Bulgaria, with some of its westernmost parts being annexed by the Albanian Kingdom, shown in dark green diagonal lines, same with Montenegro.

But now comes the most disturbing part. Entire Croatian coast, from Bakar to Dubrovnik, was wholly green, designating the Italian Army's superiority over it. Another white line was drawn across Croatia as well – this one dividing it roughly in half, with territory between the Army line and the white one shown in diagonal green.

Half of Croatia including Dalmatia would be separated from the Republic. Not a single cliff of the Adriatic would belong to us. Even the newly proposed border would be far from Dalmatia…

He saw the uneasy look in his comrades' eyes. Only now has he noticed at least a dozen of old grey haired men standing upright near the entrance. They were clad in military clothes, and many of them were covered with a sea of different medals and decorations, looking more like christmas trees than battle-hardened generals. They stood there like vultures, unblinking, as if they are going to pounce upon the Croats if they make any sudden moves.

Minister Košutić sullenly gazes at Ciano. The Count begins.

„I take it you all know how to read a map?“

The trio nods slowly.

„Eccellente. The Kingdom of Italy has gone to war for a second time in order to mend the wrongs the Versailles traitors have done. Six hundred thousand lives have been given for this cause, and we intend not to miss another opportunity to fulfil it.“

Kvaternik was the first to collect his thoughts.

„I am afraid these demands cannot, and will not be accepted by the people of Croatia. This kind of border redrawing would create quite an awkward situation for us. We would all be Italian subjects, considering we were all born in the regions Italy is seeking.“

„Not Minister Košutić, though.“ Ciano smiled, catching Kvaternik in his lie.

„I have done my research, Major Kvaternik, don't think of me as a fool. I have thought of your words, though, and I could be more lenient territory-wise. But in that case I expect the Republic to enter a monetary and customs union with Italy. A prince of Italian blood would carry the crown of Zvonimir and would be seated in a city of your choosing.“

„I understand your concern, Count Ciano. However the most we can offer you is the expansion of the Zadar exclave.“ Košutić showed what he meant on the map „Up to the Zrmanja and the Krka. No further than that. We expect the Croatian Navy to have freedom of control of its territorial waters as well.“

It was Ciano's turn to chuckle.

„How amusing. Just so you know, in none of the offers I have presented you, Minister, have I mentioned that the Croatian Army is allowed to have a navy. Therefore, no navy will be created, especially not under Croatian supervision...“

Eight hours have passed since. Ambassador Siegfried Kasche, from his office in Zagreb, sent a telegram to German Minister of Foreign Affairs Ribbentrop with following words.

„Laibach [2] negotiatons have failed. Košutić's delegation refused every Italian demand.“

upload_2017-12-17_17-6-20.png

(German) Ethnic map of Yugoslavia (1940)
- hot pink denotes borders between Croatia and Italy (including its subjects)
- white denotes the proposed Italian-Croatian border (Jastrebarsko-Foča Line)
- yellow denotes Croatian borders with Germany, Hungary and Serbia

[1] I believe PM Kvaternik would've been chosen to accompany Košutić and Šubašić due to his relation to Slavko Kvaternik, who was close with Vladko Maček.
[2] German name for Ljubljana; also the name of a quite fun avant-garde Slovenian musical band.

Last edited:
So is the pink line the new border?

I guess Croatia could give up the islands except Krk, make some concessions in Fiume region, the mentioned Zmanja-Krka enlargement of Zara and I guess Peljesac. That is it. Had there been at least 5% Dalmatian speakers in Dubrovnik , the Italian annexation of former Republic of Ragusa could have made some sense.

Would Italy be willing to accept Croatian demands in return for large economic concessions, effectively meaning Croatian integration to the Italian economic area?

So is the pink line the new border?

I guess Croatia could give up the islands except Krk, make some concessions in Fiume region, the mentioned Zmanja-Krka enlargement of Zara and I guess Peljesac. That is it. Had there been at least 5% Dalmatian speakers in Dubrovnik , the Italian annexation of former Republic of Ragusa could have made some sense.

Would Italy be willing to accept Croatian demands in return for large economic concessions, effectively meaning Croatian integration to the Italian economic area?

Not exactly. The pink line is the current border where the Italian army is located.

We'll see what will happen with the border soon, since these negotiations failed. A new meeting will take place some time in the future, which the readers will be informed of in the following chapters.

As long as the firmness of the Croatian negotiators is known to the public, the outcome will not be catastrophic. The people will rise up if need be. Not as Partisans, but at the behest of the legal government. I don't think Tito will have much success in this case.

I.XII | Factory of Faith - April 30, 1941
10:05 AM, General Staff meeting, Banski dvori, Zagreb

KOVAČEVIĆ: We need popular support if we plan on a prolonged conflict with Italy.

KVATERNIK: Minister Farolfi has got that covered.

The colonel threw yesterday's newspaper on the table for everyone to see. [1]

upload_2017-12-19_18-20-17.png

KOVAČEVIĆ: Good, at least that's one less thing to be worried about. But we still have to receive munitions and rifles from Germany, otherwise our soldiers will be simple cannon fodder to the Italians.

LAXA: That is taken care of as well. The Ban has informed me that first shipments will arrive in less than two weeks.

ŠTANCER: New Home Guard formations have been founded all along Croatia, from Varaždin to Mostar, and from Karlovac to Petrovaradin. Weapons are the only thing needed before training can begin.

KVATERNIK: Gentlemen, here are my battle plans in case generals Štancer and Laxa decide on military intervention.

LAXA: Military intervention?

KEMFELJA: Colonel Kvaternik has suggested that the Republic goes to war in case negotiations with Ciano fall through.

ŠTANCER: I am really skeptical of the whole diplomatic aspect of it, so you can count me in, Colonel.

KVATERNIK: I am very thankful for your support, general.

KEMFELJA: I see our opinion on this issue diverges. I propose we solve this democratically. Everyone who is for intervention please raise your hands… Okay, now everyone who is against.“

The end result of this was: four pro-intervention votes, with one against and one abstaining.

KEMFELJA: Then that settles it. If the Ban agrees with this vote then war with Italy will happen, but until then, we are beginning preparations for the conflict.

UZELAC: Unfortunately, any use of aircraft that was captured from the VVKJ is not allowed, as per General Horstenau's words.

KVATERNIK: What?! That slimy–

ŠTANCER: Easy, colonel. I am sure the Germans have their reasons for doing that. However I am sure there is some way to compensate for that, hopefully…

UZELAC: Indeed there is, general. Several anti-aircraft batteries were installed in Karlovac, Bihać, Zagreb and and Mostar in order to counter potential aircraft attacks by Italy. My men have also reactivated airfields in Zagreb, Mostar and Banja Luka, while the last one is still worked on in Zemun.

LAXA: I have also helped in forming several Landsturm [People's Uprising] units in Karlovac, Bihać and many other border towns, whose training is still going on, mind you. Their skills, ranging from proficient hand-to-hand combat to using guerrilla tactics will, in my opinion, be of utmost importance in case Germans decide on supporting Duce's forces.

KOVAČEVIĆ: My constables will be tasked with protecting civilians in major cities and villages and will coordinate their operations with those of the Home Guard.

KVATERNIK: I am of firm belief that the Regio Esercito [2] will have most of its force still located in Zadar, leaving only token units in Gospić, Delnice, Knin, Dubrovnik and Split and other occupied cities. They are still too worried about consolidating power in Montenegro and Albania to pay too much attention to us. Plus we mustn't forget events like the Labin Republic [3]. Our people will join us against the Italians, thus increasing the size of our armed forces, I have no doubt about it.

LAXA: How far do you intend to go, colonel?

KVATERNIK: As far as possible, then dig in and wait for Germans to stop the war.

LAXA: I sincerely hope you know what you are doing, Colonel Kvaternik.

ŠTANCER: We need time, though. Time that we do not possess. Next meeting between Ciano and Košutić will take place in twelve days in Monfalcone, and I doubt he will be as lenient as he was in Ljubljana.

KVATERNIK: Our fortune depends on it. I shall ask my brother to keep Ciano preoccupied and to postpone it as much as possible.

UZELAC: I am quite worried about Germans choosing our side. If General Horstenau's decision is anything to go by, then I don't think we will be that fortunate.

KVATERNIK: Ambassador Kasche is quite supportive of our cause, though. Minister Tomašić told me three days ago, apparently he wishes for a Gothic stronghold on the Adriatic that would guard German interests in the area.

UZELAC: Who has more influence, though? Kasche or Horstenau?

KVATERNIK: I haven't the faintest idea.

UZELAC: That is not very reassuring… Hopefully our gamble will pay off in the end.

KEMFELJA: When do you intend for the conflict to start, colonel?

KVATERNIK: Late May, early June, depending on how many weapons we receive.

KEMFELJA: Sounds reasonable. I shall ask the Ban for his confirmation immediately after this meeting finishes.

Meanwhile, in his office, Dr Vladko Maček sat in his chair, feeling ill. The letter he read barely two minutes ago disgusted him to his core. It came from a small settlement in Dalmatinska Zagora [4] only a few kilometers away from Knin.

Its contents, however, were not for the faint of heart. The dominant themes of the letter were utterly revolting, ranging from mutilations, violation of women, pillaging and razing of houses, abuse of children, mass murder of all men fifteen years and above and many other abhorrent acts that twisted his stomach so much that he had the sudden urge to empty its contents. He rubbed his eyes uncomfortably, thinking about the final paragraph of the letter.

The author mentioned that none of the perpetrators ever spoke Italian.

[1] translated to "LJUBLJANA NEGOTIATIONS FALL THROUGH: Croatian delegation decisively dismisses all Italian demands".
[2] meaning Royal [Italian] Army.
[3] Albona Republic (Albona is the Italian name for Labin) was a short-lived self-governing republic that was proclaimed by miners from Istrian city of Labin on March 2, 1921 during a mining strike. It was created in what has been described as the world's first anti-fascist uprising (despite Fascism not taking power in Italy until a year later).
[4] translated to Dalmatian Hinterland.

Last edited:
Oh, boy. Of course, Maček's presence wasn't going to be enough to completely silence radicals. Ustase killing Dalmatian Italians or Serbs?

Oh, boy. Of course, Maček's presence wasn't going to be enough to completely silence radicals. Ustase killing Dalmatian Italians or Serbs?

If Knin is occupied by Italians now, I seriously doubt that Italians would allow Ustashes to kill local Serbs. After all, Itallians cooperated with those Serbs/chetniks ( and Serbs/chetniks in general ) against Croats very well in OTL.

Pardon me if I open a parenthesis, but to mainstream Croats of the era, what was more important between independence from Serbia and keeping (or even acquiring) territory in the north-west?

Pardon me if I open a parenthesis, but to mainstream Croats of the era, what was more important between independence from Serbia and keeping (or even acquiring) territory in the north-west?

Independence from Serbia was high on their list (and they accomplished it with the Banovina of Croatia, which they didn't consider an autonomous province of Yugoslavia but rather a step closer toward full independence, since there were plans for it to have its own currency which were stopped due to WW2, just to name one).

Croats were content with the territory they received after the Cvetković-Maček Agreement, only radicals (Ustaše) wanted the Croatian border to be on the Drina.

But the most important thing is this - Croats consider the Dalmatian coast as a crucial part of their national identity, which is why many of them, feeling betrayed by Pavelić's Treaty of Rome which effectively sold 85% of Dalmatia, became distrustful of the Ustaše regime and started joining the Partisans.

I suspect Chetniks to be at work here. Afterall, the Ustaše are useless in this context. There is a Croatian state free from control of Belgrade, and ruled by the party that holds the lion's share of support amongst the people. Any true nationalists among them would simply join the army of the new state, rather than waste time causing trouble. On the other hand, the Chetniks will not tolerate any Croatian state, and Italy might be helping them here.

Independence from Serbia was high on their list (and they accomplished it with the Banovina of Croatia, which they didn't consider an autonomous province of Yugoslavia but rather a step closer toward full independence, since there were plans for it to have its own currency which were stopped due to WW2, just to name one).

Croats were content with the territory they received after the Cvetković-Maček Agreement, only radicals (Ustaše) wanted the Croatian border to be on the Drina.

But the most important thing is this - Croats consider the Dalmatian coast as a crucial part of their national identity, which is why many of them, feeling betrayed by Pavelić's Treaty of Rome which effectively sold 85% of Dalmatia, became distrustful of the Ustaše regime and started joining the Partisans.

About bolded- agreed. Dalmatia is craddle of Croatian State, historical core-region of Croatia. Not exactly sure about the percentage- trough...

About being content, not so sure, even Maček himself noted that his Agreement with Cvetković is temporary, and that say Vrbaska Banovina or Vojvodina are now out of Croatia, but one day when whole country is reorganised with new Constitution, that question of these parts and where will they belong, will had to be asked...

I suspect Chetniks to be at work here. Afterall, the Ustaše are useless in this context. There is a Croatian state free from control of Belgrade, and ruled by the party that holds the lion's share of support amongst the people. Any true nationalists among them would simply join the army of the new state, rather than waste time causing trouble. On the other hand, the Chetniks will not tolerate any Croatian state, and Italy might be helping them here.

This.
(filler)

About bolded- agreed. Dalmatia is craddle of Croatian State, historical core-region of Croatia. Not exactly sure about the percentage- trough...

About being content, not so sure, even Maček himself noted that his Agreement with Cvetković is temporary, and that say Vrbaska Banovina or Vojvodina are now out of Croatia, but one day when whole country is reorganised with new Constitution, that question of these parts and where will they belong, will had to be asked...

I admit I just randomly gave the percentage, but the parts of Dalmatia that Italy annexed were of supreme importance. NDH only received the least worthwhile parts of it (coast near Velebit) and the coast from Split to Konavle with an abysmal number of islands.

Yes, Maček said that the borders of the Banovina were only temporary, and that he expects them to be redrawn later. However I still think Croats were happy because most of the Croat-majority areas have become part of the autonomous province.

I admit I just randomly gave the percentage, but the parts of Dalmatia that Italy annexed were of supreme importance. NDH only received the least worthwhile parts of it (coast near Velebit) and the coast from Split to Konavle with an abysmal number of islands.

Yes, Maček said that the borders of the Banovina were only temporary, and that he expects them to be redrawn later. However I still think Croats were happy because most of the Croat-majority areas have become part of the autonomous province.
Out of that map, were I in charge of Croatia, I would round up the borders so that land between Una and Vrbas is added to Croatia, as well as Jajce region. Other than that, I doubt there is need to press further in Biosnia

Out of that map, were I in charge of Croatia, I would round up the borders so that land between Una and Vrbas is added to Croatia, as well as Jajce region. Other than that, I doubt there is need to press further in Biosnia

Agreed. Also, offer to the Serbs for humane population exchange, Croatia gets Muslims in Bosnia ( if they want to be part of Croatia ) and Serbia Serbs from area west of Vrbas.