About Kvaternik, he had pretty good relationship with Maček ( Hrvatski radiša, instructions for Hrvatska seljačka zaštita ) and also, while Pavelić did put him as his Doglavnik, he never trusted him too much. Pavelić was worried that Kvaternik will proclaim itself as leader of NDH. Also, he didn't trust him so much because he lived in Yugoslavia.

About Kvaternik, he had pretty good relationship with Maček ( Hrvatski radiša, instructions for Hrvatska seljačka zaštita ) and also, while Pavelić did put him as his Doglavnik, he never trusted him too much. Pavelić was worried that Kvaternik will proclaim itself as leader of NDH. Also, he didn't trust him so much because he lived in Yugoslavia.

I always thought of him as being friendlier to Ustaše rather than HSS, but that's likely because I always tend to mix him up with Eugen 'Dido', who really was pro-Ustaše, moreso than Slavko.

plenka

Banned

Thank you, if you need any help or information, I am always ready to help.

As for naming the reserve units, I am inclined to believe that the name Pučko-Ustaške will be kept, if they are trying to restore as much of Austro-Hungarian traditions as possible. As for connection with Ustaše, I really do not see that, as Ustaše are a really minor group, connection will really not be made.

I.VI | Desecration Is The Smile On My Face - April 17, 1941
Minister Đuka Kemfelja faced a difficult predicament. He had to form an army capable of countering the Italians, who were unsurprisingly aggressive all along the coast. The reasons for their rabid rage was clear to the burly man. The main problem he had was that he had to be quick and decisive, otherwise the crown of Victor Emmanuel would rise over the coast, robbing his own homeland of its identity.

He faced other attendants of the hastily-put-together meeting.

KEMFELJA: Good morning to you, gentlemen, and thank you all for arriving on such a short notice. We have been receiving hundreds of reports of Italian troops ravaging the Dalmatian seaside and taking our cities. Four days ago the Italians threatened to disarm our crew in Knin, I am afraid to say that the three day deadline they have given to Colonel Grbić and Quartermaster Colonel Begić [1] has expired now. And this is not an isolated incident. These kinds of events have been happening everywhere since Dr Maček's Declaration of the Republic.

ŠTANCER: It is obvious we must act quickly. I propose we pull Captain Mrak's [2] Infantry Regiment from Bjelovar. If the reports the Ban gave me are any indication, then there are twenty thousand men armed and ready for a fight.

UZELAC: I'm regretful to say that the airplanes captured from the VVKJ [3] will not be ready until at least May. And when they do arrive, their quality will be questionable at best.

LAXA: Gentlemen, please. We are talking about attacking one of Hitler's most valuable allies. Not only will it bring even more resentment and aggression from Italy, but it will also make Hitler's goons turn against us. Have you seen General Horstenau? He has been snooping around the Dvori long after leaving the Ban's company. They are waiting for a fatal error, and this is the way they're going to get one.

ŠTANCER: What do you propose then, General [Laxa]? That we just lounge around doing nothing while our country becomes landlocked by invaders we all knew in our hearts we could stop?

LAXA: You are merely twisting my words, Colonel [Štancer]. I advocate for Mr. Kovačević to send some Protection battalions to the border regions, to prepare them in case Italians try to take over while we have newly-organized Bjelovar troops on the sidelines in case things start going south.

KOVAČEVIĆ: What border regions? Here's the truth of it all. The border goes wherever the Italians want it to go. We have no say in the matter. If they want it along Vrbas then Vrbas it will be, if they want it on Una then the Una it is. I am sorry, General, but trying to send the Protection there will not only deprive us of our claim of authority over Vrbas and Drina banovinas but it will also cause insurrections there. And we would lose precious time trying to quell those. Time that we would waste for nothing.

KEMFELJA: Gentlemen, please. We haven't even started with army organization.

LAXA: Right… My apologies, Minister.

ŠTANCER, KOVAČEVIĆ: Likewise.

KEMFELJA: Thank you. Now, given the limited quantities of guns captured, I propose we create several smaller units first, numbering in two to two and a half thousand men.

ŠTANCER: Good idea, Minister. That way we can guard everything from Zemun to Rijeka and from Čakovec to Dubrovnik with flexibility and ease.

LAXA: Optimal numbers for the size of territory that the Republic of Croatia possesses would be somewhere between thirty five and fifty thousand men, and five to ten thousand in reserve.

UZELAC: Good, that way the ground would be sufficiently covered. I still have no clue about how many airplanes we will be able to gather so I can not say much about the Air Force numbers. I will help with assembling the Air Force personnel in the meantime, though. Might I also suggest that you take into consideration the services of Kvaternik brothers [4]? Mr. Maček spoke highly of them during our short chat before this meeting.

KEMFELJA: That is alright, General [Uzelac]. We will try and salvage as much as we can and arrange another meeting when that happens. I will also consider them as well, I have heard flattering things about each of them from the Ban as well.

UZELAC: Thank you, Minister.

ŠTANCER: Now that we have everything arranged, I think we can start with military training. After all, Hrvatsko domobranstvo [5] and its reserves need training and much needed preparation under the new flag if we plan on stopping the Italian menace.

LAXA: I can help with that. I shall arrange the training schedule for Home Guard in reserve.

ŠTANCER: Thank you, General.

KEMFELJA: And you, Mr. Kovačević?

KOVAČEVIĆ: I will send a couple battalions of the Peasant Protection to Banja Luka and Sarajevo to claim authority over Vrbas and Drina banovinas. Zemun must also be secured, which is why a battalion of the Civil Protection will be headed there in a few short days. Tuzla, Zenica and other cities Banovina of Croatia hasn't exercised power over will also have to be secured, however there aren't nearly enough troops for us to do so.

LAXA: Colonel Štancer and I will arrange for a a few regiments to arrive to your aid as quickly as we can.

KEMFELJA: Good. Now, gentlemen, I propose we arrange another meeting next Wednesday, same time. Main topic of discussion will be detailed organization of the Home Guard, Navy and the situation with Italy and Hungary. Is that alright with everyone?

EVERYONE: Yes.

KEMFELJA: Excellent. Meeting dismissed.

Meanwhile, in his office, Vladko Maček took off his glasses with shaky hands. He fought the urge to burn the letter that lay in front of him on the wooden table. He experienced a horrible empty feeling in his chest, desperation mixed with sadness and anger evident in his tired appearance. He took the piece of paper in his hands, unintentionally ripping the side of the letter with his left hand.

His left hand contorted into a fist, crumpling the paper and throwing it in front of him, hoping that, by any chance, this sudden action might wake him up from this nightmare.

I can't believe they killed Vilko.

[1]Vilim 'Vilko' Begić was a little-known Austro-Hungarian Quartermaster Colonel who was a close friend of Maček's, even being judged together with him in 1929 after he was accused of terrorism by the Yugoslav government. He was also a journalist during the Interwar period. ITTL he is sent by Maček to Knin to help Grbić (who established the forces in Knin as IOTL) and to negotiate in case Italians plan on taking the city.
[2]Ivan Mrak led the Bjelovar Uprising (7-10 April 1941) against the Royal Yugoslav Army, which led to mayor of Bjelovar Julije Makanec announcing the 'resurrection of the Croatian state', thus beating Slavko Kvaternik by two days.
[3] - Vazduhoplovstvo vojske Kraljevine Jugoslavije - Royal Yugoslav Air Force.
[4] – Meaning brothers Slavko (Austro-Hungarian Lieutenant Colonel who also participated in relatively unknown liberation of Međimurje from Hungarian occupation in late 1918) and Petar Milutin (who wasn't killed by a Yugoslav Army officer during a scuffle like he was IOTL).
[5]Hrvatsko domobranstvo - Croatian Home Guard is the official name chosen for Croatian Armed Forces, keeping the name of native Croatian units from the times of Austria-Hungary, which is going to be the same with reserve forces which will be called Landsturm from now on (Pučki ustanak in Croatian).

Last edited:

plenka

Banned
Interesting, so the Italians are quite willing to push, and unless the Germans step in, there is little Croatia can do to stop them. But, at least the forces of the new state will be seen by the people to oppose the Italians, and are suffering accordingly. This will certainly win over sympathies of the people, because it is one thing to oppose the invader and lose the land, then to simply with a piece of paper write of one of the main parts of your country.

As for the Homeguard organization, I like it. Relatively small force yes, but with those limited numbers one will hopefully be able to ensure good quality and training. It is interesting to see that they are starting at a regimental level, with roughly 2 thousand men each, but later on it will be easier to incorporate them into brigades, when the time comes for it. Cant wait to see what is going to happen next.

Keep up the good work.

Two questions and one remark:

a) why are you translating Zaštita into Safeguard? IMHO Protection is better.

b) I think that for first few months highest operational level of either Domobranstvo or Zaštita will be bojna/battalion. Because that was the level Zaštita was organised during Banovina Hrvatska.

While I agree that active forces of Zaštita/Domobranstvo initially will be low ( there's no weapons ) IMHO reserve forces will be about 150-200 000 ( or all/most members of HS/GZ ).

What happened to Begić?

Two questions and one remark:

a) why are you translating Zaštita into Safeguard? IMHO Protection is better.

b) I think that for first few months highest operational level of either Domobranstvo or Zaštita will be bojna/battalion. Because that was the level Zaštita was organised during Banovina Hrvatska.

While I agree that active forces of Zaštita/Domobranstvo initially will be low ( there's no weapons ) IMHO reserve forces will be about 150-200 000 ( or all/most members of HS/GZ ).

What happened to Begić?

a) I really have no specific explanation for it, other than Safeguard sounding more unique and similar to Home Guard

b) I had an idea of Kovačević using SZ and GZ forces as semi-police forces, and that the members of SZ/GZ will be given a choice to either remain in the police or join the new Home Guard

I do admit that reserve numbers could be subject to change, after all, generals always change their battle plans according to how the war progresses.

Begić was found dead in Knin after Colonel Grbić's crew was forced out of the city by Italians, so they (Italians) allowed the crew to take his body with them.

I.VII | Recreate Your Supervision Now - April 19, 1941
Some six thousand people assembled for the funeral of posthumously promoted Colonel Vilim Begić. Not a bad crowd, since it has been only a little over forty eight hours since information of his passing entered the Banski dvori. General Staff of the Republic, who were caught just at the right time by Maček decided on Mirogoj cemetery by acclamation.

Mid-afternoon sun shone on his wrinkled face, contrasting against the harsh reality that has befallen him and his people. Solemn silence was replaced by the sound of trumpets helped by adjoining instruments of the Peasant Protection orchestra.

There weren't that many government officials who were attending. Aside from the Ban and Ministers Kemfelja and Tomašić, there were a dozen or so officers of the newly established Home Guard. They were, of course, joined by Cardinal Archbishop of Zagreb Alojzije Stepinac [1], who led the procession. The priest moved toward the wooden coffin, his Bible in hand. He patiently waited for Maček's March to come to its end, before beginning his monologue.

„Ladies and gentlemen, people of Croatia. We have gathered here to honor a new martyr of Croatian cause. Throughout its extensive history our homeland has shown the faith and courage of its people and the struggles they constantly faced for their patriotic beliefs. For a millennium they have given their lives for the idea of an independent Croatia. But now, just six days before Christ's resurrection came the divine rebirth of a Croatia freed from the binds of foreign powers who kept it on a tight leash for eight hundred years. With the help of our northern ally we are now given an extraordinary chance for redemption.

However, just like it has always been, there are men going against God's will, sinners who lack sympathy and care for their fellow man in trouble. Those same sinners are now encroaching upon our sacred lands we have laid claim on since the days of dukes Mislav and Trpimir. We mustn't miss this chance, friends, for we must face them, not only for the protection of our homes, but for the Christian and Muslim faiths that bind us all together on this holy mission. Vilim Begić was one such man, always committing himself to his countrymen fully and always willing to sacrifice whatever was needed if it meant the betterment of his noble goals.

We can all make an example out of Colonel Begić. We shall all, from this day onwards, keep the memory of him and his charitable actions living and burning deep inside our hearts, for we must never forget. Bog je s nama, hrvatski narode [2], because the Lord is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble, lest we forget.

In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, I wish for You to let us go in piece to live out Your Word. God and liberty!“

The crowd burst into enthusiastic cheering and yelling, returning Archbishop Stepinac's closing three words.

„God and liberty!“

Ban Maček, however, didn't share the enthusiasm. He pondered over the sight of his old friend's stiff unmoving body. He personally insisted on seeing him in the morgue after his body was delivered by the scattered Knin crew, despite protest from the medical examiner and his Viceban. He was deeply in denial, he desperately needed confirmation.

When he approached Begić's corpse, the first thing he noticed is that his torso didn't have any bullet holes. However, one glaring feature on the late Quartermaster Colonel was a deep incision below his chin, going straight and deep across his neck.

The medical examiner started explaining many detailed intricacies of human anatomy, but Maček just kept nodding blankly. He swallowed a lump in his throat and left the morgue without saying anything, examiner's voice slowly sounding smaller and smaller as distance between the two increased.

upload_2018-4-24_15-29-41.png

While the Ban kept thinking of his old comrade, some seventy kilometers to the east a couple of men were already starting to fulfill Stepinac's wishes. Those two men were members of the General Staff of the Republic of Croatia Vladimir Laxa and Slavko Štancer.

They were already training what later came to be considered the first official unit of the Croatian Home Guard. The unit in question was named - 29th Croatian Home Guard Regiment (in some sources 29. domobranska pukovnija [3] and Bjelovarska pukovnija [4]), honoring the former native Croatian army units of the former Austria-Hungary.

Štancer and Laxa designated Fedor Dragojlov, former Lieutenant Colonel of the Austro-Hungarian Army and Pančevo native, to become the regiment's first commander, a position which he accepted „with great honor and pride“. Captain Mrak's self-created 16th Infantry Regiment (Sechzehner) was absorbed into the unit, with him being promoted to the rank of Major for his, according to General Štancer, „outstanding bravery and determination in the face of great peril“. The Bjelovar unit counted over two and a half thousand troops.

upload_2017-12-2_14-6-28.png

commander Fedor Dragojlov

Fedor Dragojlov, nevertheless, was not the only man who became commander of the newly created regiments of the Home Guard.

On April 21, two new regiments were created, one in Osijek (28th Home Guard Regiment) and the other in Petrovaradin (30th Home Guard Regiment). They were commanded by Miroslav Friedrich Opačić and Đuro Mravinac (one of many participants in the Bjelovar Uprising) respectively.

On April 22, a new regiment was created in Tuzla (31st Home Guard Regiment) led by Junuz Ajanović, followed a day later by the 26th Home Guard Regiment in Karlovac and 27th in Sisak, for which officers Viktor Ivan Prebeg and Dušan Palčić were responsible, respectively.

Until the end of April, many more regiments sprang up on Laxa's and Štancer's requests, but many of them were suffering from identical problems: lack of small arms, anything from pistols and rifles to heavy artillery, and even medical equipment such as sutures, needles, stitches and wound disinfectants.

Ban Maček needs to address those problems and request aid from his allies if he intends to create a strong homogenous military capable of administering its own borders and protecting its civilians.

[1] Archbishop of Zagreb at the time. Fought on the Salonika front as a member of the Yugoslav Legion, thus making him an acceptable figure under Yugoslav King Alexander and the regency that followed. While unable to unify Croatian Catholic organisations and subordinate them directly to his authority (due to his young age and inexperience) it is expected that he would try this again with the new opportunities that have arisen.
[2] translated to "God is with us, people of Croatia".
[3] translated to 29th Home Guard Regiment.
[4] translated to Bjelovar Regiment.

Last edited:
I think that Stepinac wasn't a cardinal at the time. He became a cardinal somewhere in 50s IIRC...

Colonel general Begić? Wasn't he just a common colonel a few days ago?

I think that Stepinac wasn't a cardinal at the time. He became a cardinal somewhere in 50s IIRC...

Colonel general Begić? Wasn't he just a common colonel a few days ago?

You are correct, I will edit the mistakes now.

I think the General Staff would've wanted to give him a posthumous promotion to honor what he did for the country. I will make sure to insert that into the story.

Hope you take this past World War II...

Haha easy there, friend, there is still WW2 to take care of, and that will take some time to finish up.

But thanks for the encouragement nonetheless, I already have many ideas for post-WW2 stuff.