In OTL, the Kvaterniks never got this kind of truly ill fame. With Pavelić so unimportant, the radical right had to be given a new boogeyman.

In OTL, the Kvaterniks never got this kind of truly ill fame. With Pavelić so unimportant, the radical right had to be given a new boogeyman.

Well, I would not say that Kvaternik is really a good example for the radical right of the 1940s. He is right-wing politics wise, that is something nobody can deny, but he seems to me more like the type of person who would prefer a military junta/dictatorship, more in line to what Horthy had going on, or perhaps Franco, or some of the South American dictators, like Pinochet for example.

Also, he would be strongly opposed to Pavelić, even more then IOTL, due to both Pavelić being seen as a traitor by a large portions of Croatian population, being a vassal to the Italians, but also due to his son being an avid follower of Pavelić, even though his mother was a Jew/descended from Jews.

So, Maček and HSS are losing support, with Minister Hefer leaving the HSS, and Maček drafting a law which would prevent leaving ones party during wartime. This is quite harsh measure, and certainly something that Maček does not want to do, but is forced to do anyways, unless he wants to lose Parlamentary Majority and leadership of country in total.

Kvaternik's brother is also not making his job any easier, executing Serbs on the suspicion of being Communists could have nasty effects in the future. That seems to be the straw that breaks the camels back, since Maček demanding that Kvaternik resigns is certainly going to trigger a confrotation, and could easily lead to Maček&Co lined against the wall and shot. Hopefully Maček, or at least some of his supporters realise that, and plan accordingly, since it is not really coup, if other side is planning to do the same to you.

Lastly, Čanić did survive, but revalations of just who sent the man are rather shocking to say the least. If this does not make Maček think about "less moral" ways to remove Kvaternik from power, nothing will, and we could easily see Kvaternik and his supporters walking into a meeting from which they will all be carried out. Maček himself may have nothing to do with that, considering that he has people like Vokić on his side, who could be glad to perform that service for him.

I also very much liked the description of Duumvirate, and just how crippling it is to the Kingdom, but I must ask, what is King been doing so far, while this drama has been going on? Is he perhaps staying "neutral" waiting until one side makes a big enough mistake, to swoop in and side with the winner?
---------
As always great work, well worth the wait. We are finally getting into "endgame" of sorts, at least as far Teuton-Reformist conflict is concerned. As hard as it is to say this, it really does not matter who wins, since this state of things really can not go on, and continued survival of Croatia is the only thing that matters, be it watered by the blood of either Maček or Kvaternik.

Once again, excellent work.

It certainly is a measure I would be vehemently against if I were living at that time, since I am very much against any forms of censorship and restrictions on free speech, but in the context of Maček's perspective it is something he would have to do because of the escalating tension between the right-wingers in the HSS and the moderate centrist majority, because if another round of defections happens until the new parliamentary election (scheduled to happen in 1944 at the latest) he would have to make concessions with HOSP, and I think it is quite clear why nobody in their right mind would want to make compromises with them... It will, of course, be met with outrage by some in HOSP and the opposition, even within the Coalition itself (since I really doubt Maček would want to have the Sabor vote on the Amendment, since there's a high possibility it would not pass; in that case he would have to agree with the King to enforce it, as both are top dogs in the executive branch) but it would have to be done if the HSS is to survive at the helm.

It might even escalate into a militarist coup with a republican counter-coup if things go as badly as possible. Cooler heads will have to prevail if there is to be a simple resolution to this debilitating year-long struggle. As for Ljubomir Kvaternik... Well, he was even worse IOTL, killing many many more people than he got to ITTL, but with a saner Croatian state in existence ITTL, his crimes would be much harder to keep under wraps, and Pribićević's/SDS' reaction to this could be yet another problem everyone else will have to contend with.

From what I've read and seen of Maček IOTL, he definitely seems like a man who sould use violence as last resort (just remember his rather embarrassingly passive policy during OTL's Ustaše reign of terror), but if prolonged civil discussion leads to things veering off into a more violent direction, you can rest assured that his fifty bodyguards will have one hell of a job to do on Oct 25.

Oh yes, the beloved King... His actions will be revealed in the final chapter, and his reasons for staying out of it will be justified (at least from his PoV), but rest assured, he will make certain to tell everyone why he is not backing his favorite Vrhovnik in these dire times. The Duumvirate is a crippling problem, one that would somehow have to be resolved, since I doubt a series of compromises between the Ban and the King will lead to anything going well within Croatia if things keep going like this.

I agree with you, Croatia's survival must be the imperative for all sides within the nation, and all these petty conflicts must come to an end at the earliest possible opportunity if any concrete contact is to be established with the soft underbelly-loving Winston over the Channel. If these pointless struggles continue, though, Peter II runs a decent chance of restoring his Kingdom and putting Jovanović's previously mentioned plans into action.

I would not exactly call Kvaternik's political stance far-right. Much like @Triune Kingdom said, he strikes me more as Franco-lite, but media's portrayal of him since his ascension to the position of Armed Forces Minister ITTL certainly portray him as one. Ljubomir Kvaternik (if his OTL policies are anything to go by) is much more of a radical right-winger, as well as Slavko's son Eugen, who ran a horrific police state IOTL until the fall of the Kvaternik family in 1942, similarly to what he does in Ragusa in TPoaCR.

The ill fame, as you said, comes from the fact that Maček is not the type to forcefully overthrow someone from a position of power as Pavelić enjoyed doing IOTL (examples include the aforementioned purging of Kvaterniks from power as well as Lorković and Vokić's imprisonment after the poorly run 1944 attempt to turn Croatia over to the Western Allies), so he utilizes what he deemed much more powerful - words (Farolfi's state-run media machine doing the lion's share of work in this case).

Last edited:
A brief update:
I've hit a bit of a brick wall regarding the last chapter, as I'm struggling to find proper words to put on paper in order to explain the final confrontation between the Teutons and the Reformists, as well as the results of butterflies on a wider world stage. Fortunately enough, not everything is doom and gloom as progress still exists, the chapter is getting heftier and heftier despite the process being slow at the moment. If you've got any questions, thoughts, opinions or speculation regarding the Promise feel free to post them and I'll try and answer as thoroughly as possible! Alternatively, you can also read my timeline that I'm writing on the side with a Medieval Kingdom of Croatia PoD here.

Hopefully the chapter will be out soon, in a week or two if I manage, but until then, enjoy re-reading and speculating as to what the outcome will prove to be like for TTL's Croatia.:)

I am glad to hear that this TL is going to continue, take as much time as you need.
---------

As for the questions, I do have a few.

1. What is happening with Croatian units on the Eastern Front? There are somewhat larger forces sent East ITTL, with larger Croatian Airforce Legion and TTL Latin Legion, in addition to 501st/369th Infantry Regiment. So where are these forces going to be fighting, I presume 501st is going to Staljingrad as in OTL, but what about Latin Legion?

2.What is the state of (Royal) Croatian Navy? Most of its ships are armed civilian fishing craft, but what about Submarine Rescue Ship "Spasilac" and unfinished destroyer "Split", has there been any developments in regards to them? Are there any plans being made by the Croatian Naval Command to procure more ships, either by purchase or even by building dedicated warships in their own shipyards, no matter how far fetched that may sound.

3. Will we see some sort of Youth Paramilitary Organisations being formed in Croatia, similar to Ustaška Mladež or HitlerJugend of OTL? I know it is not something that Maček would approve of, but some of his associates may do so, perhaps with Kings permission and support.

4. How is Croatia seen in other nations at this time, is there a negative/positive portrayal of it and its people by propaganda of other nations?
---------
As for speculation, I really do not know what is going to happen in the future, since we do not really know who is going to come out on top in its internal struggles, let alone how this different Croatia is going to change the course of history.

We could easily see Kvaternik and his lot victorious, and forming a military junta of some sort, while purging all democratic elements from both Government and Military Forces of Croatia.Or Maček could win, but that victory may yet become worse then defeat, with victorious side purging their opponents, and in doing so becoming that they were opposing all along. In this case Maček could easily be turned into a mythical figure, in whose name crimes and massacres are commited.
-------
Eagerly awaiting more @John_Smith , hope to hear from you soon.
-------

EDIT: Some more questions, since I seem unable to do anyting in one go.

5. What is the state of Serbian Ortodox Church in Croatia? Could we see anyone pushing for greater autonomy of the Ortodox Church in Croatia, perhaps by creating a Croatian Ortodox Church, though that could be a very controversial move.

6. What is going on with SS efforts in Croatia, they were planning to raise some Ortodox and Muslim Croatian SS units if I am not mistaken. We could see something similar to OTL Handžar Division, but formed with two regiments, one Muslim and other Ortodox.

Last edited:
IV.XXI | Sticks and Stones, Part VIII - October 25, 1942
The irreconcilable tension in the large, though at the same time confined office was incredibly thick, one that could be cut with a large knife. Judging by the mood that had descended the countless people within the room, it was merely a matter of time before the inevitable clash of proverbial swords would finally occur. Only the cluttered mess that was the desk made of Slavonian oak separated the conflicted parties whose decisions had brought the country to this point in its young independent history.

The scene might have seemed amusing to any other observer without a horse in this race, greatly resembling one of those typical Mexican standoffs spoken of so fondly from the times of the Old West from over the large ocean. On one side of the large conference table were the Teutons – Slavko Kvaternik of Ozalj. Clutching his hatchet in his right hand with a soldier-like strength of all his past years on the battlefield, he glared daggers at the other side of the table. The Supreme Commander was joined on each side by his General Staff – Commander of the ZKH Milan Emil Uzelac, a weariness enveloping his old, hunched-over figure while his second-in-command Miroslav Navratil quietly observed his superior far more than his perceived opponents on the other side of the table. Admiral of the Royal Croatian Navy Đuro Jakčin and his deputy Edgar Angeli were on Kvaternik's other side, their frowns denoting just how unpleasant they were feeling at that moment.

On the other side stood the Old Man himself, mouth slightly ajar, with elated breaths escaping the tired mess that was one of the two most important men in Croatia. He was not the only one with all the weight of the world crushing his shoulders, as his comrades shared much of the burden that seemed to have made his silver hair even grayer. To his left side stood Bogdan Majetić, purple bags under his eyes giving the whole confined space an eerie quality. To the Ban's right Matija Čanić occupied the place otherwise meant for right-hand men of kings and men of importance throughout history. A head covered in gauze, with droplets of blood grazing the washed out white fabric made the Major General seem like a mummy right out of the iconic American pictures a decade past. Nevertheless, the one uncovered eye of his shone more than a thousand burning stars, determination and courage seeping through the narrow stormy blue iris.

Maček, among all the tight faces, collected enough of his crumbling calmness and sanity to speak up and initiate what he knew would turn out to be the final tense exchange between some of the room's numerous occupants. „Gentlemen… I believe we all know why we have gathered here.“

Despite closed windows, he still felt highly uncomfortable chills running up his spine, as the ethereal falling leaves outside the building swirled during their ominous dance, sending winds of fall right into his soul.

„Get to the point, Your Excellency.“ It was Kvaternik who spoke up, all color drained from his skin, making him take on a ghoulish appearance that would shock anyone had they found themselves unfortunate enough to enter the room at that moment.

The politician took a deep, yet hollow breath, mist appearing before his dry eyes. The temperature was truly unbearable, the cold making him shiver with every movement he took. „The irreconcilable differences that have gathered between us must be put to a stop, or elsewise have an agreement reached to alleviate the many concerns that have been voiced both by the Major General's faction as well as yours, Supreme Commander.“

Kvaternik's jaw tightened at the proposal. „And how do you suppose my men accomplish anything when the officers under your guardianship are unwilling to listen?“ A biting accusation, to be certain, one that would otherwise be impossible to disprove.

„Your style of leadership is what drives them away from the elders, Supreme Commander… We are facing an uphill battle from an underground cell of poorly equipped extremists only due to the fact that you are utilizing maces and clubs to counter muskets. It would be foolish to even try and state otherwise.“

Kvaternik's face contorted into a discomforting grimace, seeming as if it is going to spit out fire at its shorter ideological opponent. „You blame me?! I struggled all this time to keep this affair from falling apart while your ilk plotted behind our backs, trying desperately to show our weaknesses and make us stoop to your level!“

The calmness emanating from Maček's figure evaporated in a short moment, as if it was never there to begin with. „We have never tried anything of the sort! How could you even---„

„Gentlemen, please…“ The two national leaders whipped their heads in the direction of the voice, all tension in the air silenced by the words echoing quietly through the renovated Banski dvori. It was Milan Uzelac, by far the most experienced person in the room. His was a saddened gaze, glassy eyes forming a permanent feature amid the creases and cuts that had appeared with age. Happiness seemed the last thing that would be able to enter this old soldier's thoughts, a completely foreign feeling that the burdens of duty have crushed beyond repair.

„Supreme Commander, you do know I have executed all your commands to the best of my ability since your invitation humbly addressed me over a year ago. In spite of my remarks that my age is too great an issue for this organization to overcome, you have nonetheless convinced me that these dried-out hands still have something to give to this nation.“ He coughed gently before straightening his rapidly confining uniform. „I kept going because of my utmost respect for the things you have accomplished. Unfortunately, these last few days have convinced me that I cannot help but admit defeat where defeat is obvious…“

„What ever do you mean, Commander?“

„I intend to resign my position as Commander of the Royal Croatian Air Force.“

The world seemed to have stopped right then and there for the Teutons and the Reformists alike. Kvaternik's jaw seemed as if it were going to crack open from its intensely locked position, and he knew not how to properly assess the words his ears had unwillingly received. Since the scorching heat of the summer of last year, one of the things he had been certain of was Uzelac's unwavering loyalty to this country and to him, one that he had not betrayed in so many situations where a different choice would have benefitted the older man out tremendously. Now, though… The world around him started to show its cracks.

„…Why?“

Uzelac sighs, heaviness clear in the simple sound unconsciously evading his throat.

„What we desperately need is innovation. New ideas brought forth from young minds bursting with eagerness and energy. Our mutual stubbornness we honed better than our rifles throughout this time only led this country and all its people to the brink of collapse.“

Uzelac allowed Kvaternik a few beats of silence to properly absorb the worrying words he was uttering before continuing once more.

„We had allowed hubris to cloud our judgment, and for that I shall feel insurmountable shame until I meet my maker… Before I depart this room with my heart bearing a little less baggage, I would like to nominate my faithful deputy, Commander Miroslav Navratil, to the position I have held during the previous year.“

Navratil, meanwhile, subtly smiled as his eyes joyously shone against the old desk lamp, a likely giveaway of his awareness of Milan Uzelac's intention to retire and hand him the control wheel of the Air Force.

Kvaternik, on the other hand, was fuming, but said nothing out of respect for his soon-to-be former colleague, saluting the air pioneer with the other soldiers as the oldest man in the room left quietly, his steps light as feathers. Unfortunately for the weary Teutonic knight, his misfortunes had only just begun.

From the corner of his eyes, the Admiral noticed a sight most peculiar, one that urged him to break his troubled trance to pick up the offending object, that being today's newspaper, headline bursting with invasive, bold reds and blacks that were impossible to ignore. Jakčin licked his finger contemplatively, but those few seconds he took were all that was needed for Slavko Kvaternik to read what the vultures at the HSS had in store for him.

And what a low blow it turned out to be.

ONLY SON TURNS BACK ON FAMOUS FATHER with a subheading written in complete black – KVATERNIK FAMILY; REPLETE WITH BACKSTABBINGS

He lost himself completely in the offensive hit-piece, ignoring the world around him completely. Though he could faintly discern Majetić standing on his pedestal and lecturing him over the smallest peculiarities of the Home Guard, his eyes were still his ears, as he began picturing his Eugen and these past few years that had driven an insurmountable wedge between them.

Things would never be the same, the horrid thought began to strangle him, air escaping his lungs as if a thousand cigars were ignited within him at once.

What was the point of trying to build a better life for his men if he could not have built one for his one and only son? He truly felt that mutual betrayal was the only thing the two had given each other in the last decade, for the Kvaternik household, regardless of its location, still retained the same hopelessness and frost attaching itself to everyone's outward demeanor.

The heart beating within his chest began to break apart, and the liquid salt appearing on his cheeks was everything but a coincidence. His voice began to leave him as well. It seemed as though Eugen would receive one more companion on his path away from his father, but the Supreme Commander managed to announce in front of everyone, though not without his voice cracking as saltwater stained his lips.

„I can't.“

Majetić, Čanić and Maček looked as if they would all collapse from shock at the two simple words.

„S-Supreme Commander?“

„I resign…“

The aftershock of the brutal evening could be described as even worse than the rather anticlimactic confrontation itself.

When everything was said and done, the Old Man was left alone in the large mess of an office in downtown Zagreb, his own thoughts running way past his ability to cognizantly feel enjoyment in the sweet throes of victory that are nevertheless tinged with bitterness.

That is when Adam Pribićević entered the room, seemingly in a rush, excitement an evident decoration on his well-kept expression.

„Your Excellency!“

„What is it, Adam?“

„I have some wonderful news for you!“

„I think it is about time we have received some of those. Do tell, I am all ears.“

Pribićević smiles from ear to ear, his pearly white teeth and minty breath cooling down the stifling atmosphere of the unkempt office. He fetches a few documents out of his briefcase and lays them in front of Vladko Maček before saying.

„I have managed to iron out an agreement with the Chetniks.“

„What?“

„This has been my passion project of sorts for the past few months, as the situation on our Eastern Borderlands truly became untenable.“

„What does the treaty entail, though?“

„I understand your skepticism, but this is truly a breakthrough that must not be kept secret. Mihailović and the rest of his staff declared that the senseless slaughter of innocent civilians and peasants will cease, so long as we promise their protection and safety under Croatian law.“

„Grant them amnesty, you mean?“

„Yes, Your Excellency, but we must not forget the bigger picture here. General Mihailović also agreed to have his Chetnik units be integrated into the Royal Croatian Home Guard as a support formation for our constables in the Gendarmerie, so long as they are allowed to police Serb-majority areas such as the Bosnian Frontier, West Slavonia and the Drina Borderlands.“

„…Why have they agreed to such terms that seem all but favorable to their cause?“

„I understand your skepticism, I truly do, however they said that we must set aside our differences in order to combat the Reds. They have been ravaging Trivunac's Serbia ever since the Germans attacked the Soviet Union.“

„By all accounts, the situation in the East is more than glowing for Hitlerites.“

„Regardless of it, Tito is much like a cockroach – relentless, surviving innumerable injuries and attempts on his life. We will never get rid of him and his ilk if we cannot form a unified front against his band of bastards.“

Pribićević's words made sense, he knew, but he was also aware that forgetting the heartbreaking piles upon piles of letters from homeless families who had suffered under the Chetnik extremists would hardly leave his mind, as the blatant act of hipocrisy on his behalf would result in little more than additional loss of support he could scarcely afford at this time.

„…Very well. Thank you, Adam. You may go now.“

There were no thoughts more polarizing than those formed just moments before.

upload_2019-7-4_21-41-39.png

Chetniks and Home Guardsmen during training, Livno, c. March 1943
With a tight smile, an occurrence rarely seen in recent times, Maček bids Pribićević farewell, though he has little time to revel in the reassuring news coming from his Viceban's mouth, as the brother of his late colleague's figure is quickly replaced with that of royalty. The King himself, whose presence was sorely needed by many who had already left the room in saddened defeat, finally emerged from whatever den he had been hiding in for the last few weeks, standing exactly where the Ban's second-in-command had only minutes ago.

His toothy grin was an odd sight to behold, as his eyes possessed a gleam of earnest happiness that was always hidden beneath a veneer of false niceties and polite judgment whilst in public. A spring in his step followed him as his pencil mustache contorted with joy that was all but quiet within him. Maček had rarely, if ever, witnessed such disconnect within a person who had completely abandoned their friends and allies and the indescribable smile that is adorning their face, as if nothing had ever happened that would warrant the opposite response.

The older man knew better than to push the issue incessantly, understanding full well that the duumvir would answer his wordless question without having to hear it leave his mouth. The Lion of Brezovica's teeth shine against the dim light of the barely functioning desk lamp, making his stance a threatening one, though his eyes betrayed a whole different tale, putting the Ban somewhat at ease. For now, at least. „A lovely day today, is it not, Your Excellency?“

He should play along, even if the constant interchangeable status of exhilaration and exhaustion deep within his core struggles to readily answer the King's question. „I must agree it is, Your Majesty. Might I inquire what has gotten you into such a good mood, considering the circumstances?“

He seemed quite surprised at the mention of something surprising happening, but that did not deter his grimacing smile at all. „And what circumstances might those be?“

Regardless of all possible attempts at maintaining any semblance of self-control and politeness, biting sarcasm echoed like a fierce bullet, faster than his brain certainly, jumping off his tongue in a petty, lowly desire to gloat at this triumph of force that would not be forgotten soon. „Why, didn't you hear? Supreme Commander Kvaternik handed in his resignation less than an hour ago...“

He would have smiled had his conscience not burned him right at that moment. Biting his tongue, he observed a flash of surprise emerging within the King's sharpened eyes before being replaced once more with joy. Knowing it would not be a wise choice to awake the sleeping lion [1], he used the few bits of strength left within his exhausted body not to prod his supposed superior any further.

„Oh, that is a shame, true, though recent failures must not be allowed to ruin the truly momentous revelations coming to us in one manner or the other with each new day. The latter are far more important for our lives.“

„What ever do you mean, Your Majesty?“

The moment Maček's address to the King was uttered, the younger man's flashed his teeth in a grimacing snare, fangs shining against the dimness of the room, as if a hunter just encountered its prey. No such attack came, though, as Filip smiled earnestly at the Ban, the quickened heartbeat of his chest creating the only sound in the thick silence of the office. The Old Man's chest caved in as the weight of expectation began to push down on his shoulders. The words uttered afterward were not the ones he was expecting. At all. The pregnant pause that would follow was unlike anything he had experienced in over sixty summers of his life.

„The Queen is with child.“

upload_2019-7-4_21-44-1.png

Vladimir Filakovac: Lion (1936)
The shocking news of a new alliance being forged were not the only pieces of recent information that would come as a surprise to the public at large. A few days after the anti-climactic encounter in the offices of the recently rebuilt Banski dvori, with King Filip's public decree and wholehearted support, the King's Guard (Kraljeva garda in Croatian, der Königsgarde in German) of the Kingdom of Croatia was officially formed. Originally comprised of twenty five solely Slovenian volunteers hand-picked by the Golden Lion himself, the unit's sole purpose was the protection and unquestionable obedience to their head of state, with its intent being on maintaining the safety of the Hessian dynasty and all its members under any and all circumstances perceived as threats to the realm and its eternal leaders.

An interesting fact to note as well is that the members, whilst referring to each other, were obligated to use noms de guerre, as later extreme influences of the SS instilled a cult of personality built around the image of the Golden Lions within the Olive-Pickers [2] that would persist all the way until their dissolution. Thus, a firm belief that giving up one's life for the safety of the King was firmly planted within the minds of the guardsmen, many of whom accepted such a status quo, on the surface at least.

In its first few months, the formation was trained by Ivan Prezelj, former Royal Yugoslav military attaché in Czechoslovakia during the interwar period and successor to Ivan Lavrih's position in the Slovenian National Council post-Rudolf Maister Day, becoming accustomed to hardened military discipline and drilling. Following the Home Guard reforms in early 1943 and the arrival of the dreaded Schutzstaffel to bolster the KHD leadership's cause, the KG's purpose morphed from a protection squad into a retaliatory, violent group of thugs that would come to be utilized by the King, as many suspect, despite scarce evidence actually proving Filip's guilt.

The other purported offender, in the eyes of many, was Prince Christoph (Princ Kristofor in Croatian), the King's younger brother and one of the countless soldiers of the SS who had abandoned his position in the staff of the Luftwaffe Fighter Squadron (Jagdgeschwader in German) 53 in favor of assisting his family member. Many critics of the wartime regime cite Christoph as one of the main agitators of the extremist policy of the Königsgarde that was taken up post-reforms, so much so that some even believe that Christoph was regarded as Vladko Maček's potential successor as Ban of Croatia and the King's right-hand man during the war's climax. Sources from the period explaining the gradual shift in his own allegiances to the Nazis and Hitler are quite barren and therefore extremely difficult to pinpoint [3], which further muddies the water regarding any sensible discussion on the subject to this very day.

During much of 1943, the King's Guard became infamous for its senseless brutality toward minorities, especially ones targeted by the 1941 Racial Laws from the time of the First Republic. Jews and Roma peoples often fell victim to the random and vicious raids performed by the King's Guards, as they were given free reign to do however they please by the King himself, or even ordered to do so, as some suspect. The most well-known of these acts of vile hatred and racism occurred during one of the last nights of June 1943, mere days before one old man's desperate attempt at seeking out clemency for his past crimes and mistakes in his waning days.

During the dead of night, in one of the poor Roma-built villages in northeastern Vrbas County, seventeen King's Guards, all armed to the teeth, assaulted the small settlement, setting all the houses and foundations ablaze as they killed and plundered whatever else the minority openly discriminated by the government and everyone else had.

No exact numbers of casualties exist regarding the Gradiška Raid (Gradiški prepad in Croatian), as it is believed that all documents were burned during or just before the end of the war in an attempt to secure the safety of the war criminals. It is speculated that over eighty men, women and children were gunned down or mutilated beyond recognition regardless of trying to fight back or simply running for safety, with just as many being rounded up and abused on their way to one of the trains of death, as the vehicles carrying undesirables to death camps or concentration camps came to be known as colloquially.

None of the perpetrators were ever tried for their crimes, regardless of the post-war governments who tried to have them caught and put on trial and to finally see justice done. Alas, it would never come, as the coldness of past winters put its rime onto human hearts, a tragedy all its victims would have to suffer from for generations to come.

upload_2019-7-4_21-46-14.png

Members of the King's Guard marching the captured Romani onto a train for Banjica, late June 1943
The winter that followed was decidedly less cold than its predecessor, though it made up for it with worrying events that had transpired all throughout the war-torn world during the waning days of 1942. Starting with Operation Torch and Admiral Darlan's daring escape with his navy from Toulon, important Allied victories in Operation Uranus and the Battle of the Barents Sea began to show the fortunes of war turning against the Axis powers. In late November, Vichy France was occupied in its entirety while the slaughterhouse at Stalingrad crescendoed to its shocking, bloody conclusion.

Operation Caterpillar, an audacious bombing attack that ended the life of Heinrich Himmler during the first projection of Marcel Carné's Les Visiteurs du Soir (The Devil's Envoys) in Madeleine Cinema in Paris would become one of the most influential events on the latter part of the Second World War. Meanwhile, the situation in North Africa that came to be radically different in comparison to merely two months before changed even further, with the Allied command structure taking another hit when Charles de Gaulle's plane tragically crashed mid-flight on Christmas Eve over the burning sands of Africa.

Truly a winter of changes, truly the greatest foreshadowing for the Year of Upheaval (Godina preokreta in Croatian) that is coming, the twelve months that would endanger and destroy everything that men of the war fought for for most of their lives.

[1] Croatian variant of the phrase to awake a sleeping giant. Utilized more often as a warning than as a saying, though (Ne diraj lava dok spava – lit. Do not touch the lion while it is asleep).
[2] Maslinari in Croatian, ITTL a (sometimes derogatory) nickname used for the King's Guard by the public and critics due to the Royal Yugoslav Army uniforms that they inherited from before the war and after the Royal Croatian Home Guard reforms.
[3] According to British writer Hugo Vickers, Prince Christoph grew disillusioned with the Nazi Party over time IOTL, allegedly telling his own mother after Operation Anthropoid that the death of a certain dangerous and cruel man is the best news he had heard in a long time.

Last edited:
I am glad to hear that this TL is going to continue, take as much time as you need.
---------

As for the questions, I do have a few.

1. What is happening with Croatian units on the Eastern Front? There are somewhat larger forces sent East ITTL, with larger Croatian Airforce Legion and TTL Latin Legion, in addition to 501st/369th Infantry Regiment. So where are these forces going to be fighting, I presume 501st is going to Staljingrad as in OTL, but what about Latin Legion?

2.What is the state of (Royal) Croatian Navy? Most of its ships are armed civilian fishing craft, but what about Submarine Rescue Ship "Spasilac" and unfinished destroyer "Split", has there been any developments in regards to them? Are there any plans being made by the Croatian Naval Command to procure more ships, either by purchase or even by building dedicated warships in their own shipyards, no matter how far fetched that may sound.

3. Will we see some sort of Youth Paramilitary Organisations being formed in Croatia, similar to Ustaška Mladež or HitlerJugend of OTL? I know it is not something that Maček would approve of, but some of his associates may do so, perhaps with Kings permission and support.

4. How is Croatia seen in other nations at this time, is there a negative/positive portrayal of it and its people by propaganda of other nations?
---------
As for speculation, I really do not know what is going to happen in the future, since we do not really know who is going to come out on top in its internal struggles, let alone how this different Croatia is going to change the course of history.

We could easily see Kvaternik and his lot victorious, and forming a military junta of some sort, while purging all democratic elements from both Government and Military Forces of Croatia.Or Maček could win, but that victory may yet become worse then defeat, with victorious side purging their opponents, and in doing so becoming that they were opposing all along. In this case Maček could easily be turned into a mythical figure, in whose name crimes and massacres are commited.
-------
Eagerly awaiting more @John_Smith , hope to hear from you soon.
-------

EDIT: Some more questions, since I seem unable to do anyting in one go.

5. What is the state of Serbian Ortodox Church in Croatia? Could we see anyone pushing for greater autonomy of the Ortodox Church in Croatia, perhaps by creating a Croatian Ortodox Church, though that could be a very controversial move.

6. What is going on with SS efforts in Croatia, they were planning to raise some Ortodox and Muslim Croatian SS units if I am not mistaken. We could see something similar to OTL Handžar Division, but formed with two regiments, one Muslim and other Ortodox.

1. The Latin Legion is with Paulus, replacing the 501st and parts of Romanian forces at Stalingrad from OTL, whilst the 501st Croatian Regiment made itself known by participating in Operation Fredericus/2nd Kharkov, and is currently in Ukraine, being used as cheap backup/cannon fodder for the Nazis if such a need arises.

2. The rescue ship and the destroyer are still finding its buyers, though more on that will be revealed in the next chapter that will be military-based, as well as the rest of the Navy. Its position is precarious, I must reveal, but it was quite obvious from the beginning that the Italians would not allow Jakčin and his buddies even a tiny bit of room to breathe.

3. Definitely not authorized by Maček himself, but there are certain to be local, spontaneously formed organizations that cherish/worship Maček, the HSS and its political program. On the other end of the spectrum, Filip seems like the duumvir most prone to such acts, but now with a baby underway, all potential plans he might have had of forming youth organizations are put in the background, as he scored a significant propaganda victory already with a purple-born child, if everything goes well for Mafalda and him.

4. Its position is quite complicated, to say the least. While the Croat minorities in places such as the USA constantly try to make the public perception change, almost all newspapers there are extremely pro-WAllied, which makes sense, so they cannot really accomplish much. Such is the case with other nations too, though the leadership as well as military head honchos still scratch their heads in bemusement at the information gathered about the War for Dalmatia that had occurred over a year ago. As for the Axis, the German public views Croatia very favorably, while the Italians tend to ignore Croatia as much as humanly possible due to wounds still being fresh. Italian leadership headed by a bloodthirsty Farinacci, though, secretly seeks to revive the Jastrebarsko-Foča Line sometime after the war in order to avenge his hurt nationalistic ego.

I do apologize for the rather anticlimactic ending to Act IV, but I've been struggling with the chapter for exactly four months now and I really wanted to continue this story as I have an inhumane number of ideas I would like to see in action here, but if you do have any questions or parts that seem badly explained to you, do feel free to ask and I shall try my damnedest to make the picture clearer for everyone.

5. Its situation is infinitesimally better than IOTL, but you really have to be a fool not to be better than the Ustaše in their treatment of the Orthodox Church. Maček fears that any attempt at forming a Croatian Orthodox Church might alienate too many people, and especially his coalition partners from the SDS, which is why he still hadn't made any moves towards it. The main leaders of the Orthodox faith in Croatia currently (by seniority and titles) are Petar Zimonjić of Dabar-Bosnia and Dositej Vasić of Zagreb-Ljubljana, and the Church enjoys equal status to the Catholic faith, as the (Republican) Coalition made inter-ethnic harmony one of its main policies in order to ensure Croatia's survival.

6. And they shall be... Heydrich's visit to Croatia is scheduled for late January 1943, and that is when more stuff will be revealed about all the units that will be raised there. With a more ideologically unified Croatia, more recruits are bound to appear in whatever-the-name-of-the-new-SS-units-will-be.

Nice to see you back in action @John_Smith, and with such a great chapter too. This chapter was really something different, with so many different, unexpected things happening, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time I was reading it.
-----------
So, Kvaternik seems to be out of the picture, for now at least, I really did not expect the conflict between him and Maček to be resolved so peacefully, with him resigning. Tresla se brda, rodio se miš? It is a first good news for Maček and his faction for quite some time now, and it will be really interesting to see what further role, if any, will Kvaternik play. At least, some more energetic, younger officers are likely to get a chance to mold Homeguard into a more modern force, capable of doing a variety of different operations, more suited for persecuting anti-partisan operations. As for the possible replacement, I doubt that Maček wishes for a single person to ever again have the amount of power over armed forces as Kvaternik did, and I am very much in belief that he will fight tooth and nail to prevent King (or anyone else for that matter) from appointing an individual to that position with all the power that it entails. Perhaps we will see some sort of General Staff(Glavni Stan), headed by Vrhovnik still, but his powers would be curtailed and under oversight of a civilian government.

However, I must admit that I really feel pity for Kvaternik, for his son betraying both him and his country, and I really hope we see him return later on in this TL, and that he and Maček have a reconciliation in the future.

Uzelac also retired, and while we can hardly blame him for lackluster performance of the Airforce, some Young Blood is certainly a welcome addition.
------------
However, greatest suprise of all was the Chetniks and Croatian state becoming allies of all things. This may not go over too well with general public, but on the other hand, it will ensure that areas with Serb Majority are pacified and (more or less) obeying (at least somewhat) orders coming in from Zagreb. It is also another hit to the Communist cause, removing both Croats and Serbs from these areas as potential recruits for the cause of Communism. Integrating Chetniks into Croatian Homeguard also adds another weapon into Croatian arsenal, and once they are properly trained, disciplined and equipped, it will give them a decent force of Light Infantry, ideally suited for Counterinsurgency operations because of them being Light Infantry, but also because of their knowledge of local terrain, and because of the connection they will have with Local Serb populations.

Any fancy names in the wings for that lot? Of course you can call them something rather bland, Serbian Detachments of Royal Croatian Homeguard (Srpski Odredi Kraljevskog Hrvatskog Domobranstva), but there would be immense amount of historical irony to have Chetnik Detachments of Royal Croatian Homeguard (Četnički Odredi Kraljevskog Hrvatskog Domobranstva). Extra points if you manage to shove a Croat or two in them, just that we get maximum amounts of irony. As for the name the Chetnik Brigade may have, a decent option may be "Milica Starčević" Brigade, a (Serb) mother of Ante Starčević, so called Father of Croatian State... Wait, does this mean that Croatia has a Serbian Grandmother!?!? :winkytongue:

Somebody that also may be rather excited at these news is Churchill, who may now, more then ever, be convinced that Balkan Landings must happen, with W-Allied troops landing into friendly territory, supported by Croat-Chetnik troops. Reactions of the Yugoslav Gov. In Exile would also be interesting, since Čiča was supposed to be "Their Man", and him signing an agreement with Trecherous Croats is not going to go well, I believe.
----------
King is also playing a dangerous game, as his Guard is persecuting the "Undesireables" within Croatia. If there is anything good about this, is that they are relatively small formation, so at least lists of their victims may be smaller then they would otherwise be. Unfortunately SS is going to put their bloody paws in this mess rather soon, but hopefully at least some of their potential victims may be saved by a much more sympathetic person(s) in charge.
----------
Lastly, you really are starting to change things, in regards to greater world events. French Fleet making a succesful run for N.Africa, then both Himmler and De Gaulle dying. At least some parts of OTL are repeating itself, as Op. Uranus seems to be going as IOTL, but it will still be very interesting to see where you take this, not just Croatia itself, but how will the rest of the world be changed.
----------
Nothing else to say, Great Work as always, well worth the wait. If you need anything in regards to Military matters just PM me, I have done a bit of work in your absence, and I eagerly await your response.

Last edited:
Sounds like Croatia will be a bloodbath over the next few months, to put it mildly...

It is inevetable that there will be some amount of butchery, but I would dare to say that some areas will certainly going to be much less heavily hit then they were IOTL. Areas directely bordering Italy may suffer the most, but then again, with Mihajlović Chetniks coming over to Croatian side, Italian backed Chetnik raids may be decreased in numbers and casualties. Eastern Bosnia is also likely to see reduced casualties due to this, and that will certainly going to have an impact on the overall death rate. Communists are still around, but they are going to find themselves in quite some trouble, once Homeguard reforms and starts to operate effectively against them, not to mention the impact of SS and Chetnik units may have. Several Chetnik factions are around, and if they all slowly fall under the Croatian oversight/command, we may see a substantial reduction in overall casualties, if only because Croats and Chetnik will (hopefully) refrain from shooting at each other, and instead focus their attentions on the Commies.

Another thing that we have forgot to consider is the fact that Mihajlović is a Minister in the Royal Yugoslav Govt. Does this mean that, technically, Royal Govt. Has recognized Croatia as an independent state?

It is very risky to legitimize the Chetniks. They are the vile remnant of the army of Royal Yugoslavia- that still exists even in exile. I think trying to win over some Communists in Croatia would be less risky.

It is very risky to legitimize the Chetniks. They are the vile remnant of the army of Royal Yugoslavia- that still exists even in exile. I think trying to win over some Communists in Croatia would be less risky.

You do have a good point. Giving Chetniks legitemacy in the eyes of the local Serbs may end up very troublesome further in the future, but there should be some things to consider as well. Croatian leadership (or at least part of it) is really not thinking about long term here, they have been stumbling from one crisis to another practically from the moment Croatia was reastablished as a nation, nearly year and a half ago, and having Chetniks become allies is a major boon, and it gives them some breathing room, and (perhaps short term) help them pacify and control substantial areas of Eastern Bosnia.

It also gives them another ally in a fight against Communists, who are still lurking about, and against whom Homeguard has had so many problems going up against. It is going to buy Croatia some time to get their affairs in order, clean house, reform the military, and then decide what next step is going to be. We should also take into account that having Čiča being seen as an ally of Croatia, with Chetnik troops comanded by, or at least cooperating with Homeguard, is also giving Croatian State quite a bit of legitemacy in the eyes of its Serbian Citizens, possibly removing some problems further in the future.

Communists are the last people the Croatian leadership will want to win over, IMHO. Croatian leadership is very much opposed to Communism, as Maček was generally a great believer in Western Style Democracies, and HSS was hardly a Communist style political organisation, even if we take HSS being a part of Communist Internationale for a brief period of time in the 20ies. Additionally, Communist Yugoslav Partisans are fighting for Yugoslavia in the end, and that is a deal breaker right there, there is little possibility that anybody in Croatian Politics is going to be willing to commit political sucide in such a manner.
------------
But, putting aside all that for now, seeing as there is several people commenting on this thread that are not me, I would be very happy to hear some of your thoughts.

For example, seeing as John has announced that military chapter is next in line, and that it is likely going to deal with Homeguard (and possibly other branches of armed forces) reorganization, I would be very interested to hear what other people think about that. What could and/or should be done, in that regards, and any and all thoughts on that subject would be very interesting to hear.

I have been (very) slowly writing some bits and pieces for OP for some time, but my constant fear is that we have built ourselves an "Echo Chamber" of sorts, and I would be very happy to hear more from various people who follow this TL, some fresh thoughts would be very appreciated.

I think that Croatian Communists should have been approached instead. As long as they agree to represent the idea of an independent Communist Croatia, and not Yugoslavia, they could be spared from persecution. HSS and Communists don't even sound bad as a theoretical government. All depends though on who gets to kick the Germans out of Croatia.

As for the military- could domestic production of recon planes be started? Useful for counterinsurgency.

I think that Croatian Communists should have been approached instead. As long as they agree to represent the idea of an independent Communist Croatia, and not Yugoslavia, they could be spared from persecution. HSS and Communists don't even sound bad as a theoretical government. All depends though on who gets to kick the Germans out of Croatia.

As for the military- could domestic production of recon planes be started? Useful for counterinsurgency.

If any Croatian-Communist cooperation is to happen, you really need Croatian Communists who are not wedded to the idea of Yugoslavia, and that may be problematic. I mean, Yugoslav Partisans had a promise of "Brotherhood and Unity", where all ethnicities would be equal, and that was quite an appealing thing for many people. Though, considering that Partisans are definitely going to be substantially weaker ITTL, we may see quite a bit more factionalism appear, especially if they suffer some substantial reverses, which could erode the Myth of Tito well before it starts to gain traction.

I am rather unknowledgeable about Croatian Communists of the period, but Andrija Hebrang may fit the bill, though he was a hardliner to be honest, a Stalinist through and through. Franjo Tuđman is out, we have seen that he was a Communist Historian ITTL, but there might be some other options. Moderates exist everywhere, and Yugoslav Partisans are no exception, so we could perhaps see some breakaway faction emerge, disillusioned by defeats and constant reverses?
-----------
As for the military changes, I fear that your proposal of Croatia building Recconaisance Aircraft, is still a step to far at this point in time. There is no aircraft manufacturing facilities present anywhere on the territory of Croatia, and even if there were any, building aircraft requires a substantial amount of relatively advanced industrial capabilities to be present, such as Aircraft Engine Manufactoring for example. I do not doubt it Could be done, but I do not think it Should be done, there are things that are much more critical for Croatia, then a vanity project. There is also a little need for aircraft at the present TBH, since Goering did gift Croatia with Two Squadrons of obsolete, but still rather useful Recon Aircraft, well suited for the COIN operations likely to be common in Croatia. There is also a political situation to consider, and while King would be all for it, since it would be quite a PR boost, some others, like Maček&Co would likely oppose it, since in their minds there are places that money would be much better spent.

But, I do like the idea, and I would like to hear more of the same, especially if you have any idea in regards to domestic manufacturing of weapons and the like.

As for the military changes, I fear that your proposal of Croatia building Recconaisance Aircraft, is still a step to far at this point in time. There is no aircraft manufacturing facilities present anywhere on the territory of Croatia, and even if there were any, building aircraft requires a substantial amount of relatively advanced industrial capabilities to be present, such as Aircraft Engine Manufactoring for example.

In Croatia proper, no, but Yugoslavia did have something of an aircraft industry - there was an airplane engine manufacturing plant in Belgrade (Ikarus) and an airplane factory in Zemun (Zmaj). Both are in the Serbian part of Yugoslavia, but given the brutality of the occupation and Berlin treating Croatia as a favoured client (and the penchant for looting Nazi Germany engaged in), the factories could be moved into Croatian territory, whether to escape the chaos or by force to give their client some added value.

The factories had even been producing combat aircraft - the IK3 had been entering service around the time of the invasion. They supposedly gave a good account of themselves against the Lufwaffe, but the remaining models were destroyed (although enough records remained that the IK3 was used as a basis for the development of post-war Yugoslav aircraft).

That said, there is the question of whether Croatia's master will want their client with independent fighter-production capability. It might give them ideas, after all.

Yes, Yugoslavia did have the ability to produce rather decent fighter aircraft, which came rather close to the foreign designs of the time, but I do not know just how many of the components that went into building it were actually made in Yugoslavia. Things like Engines and Armament were all foreign designs, with Hispano-Suiza 12Y engine being imported from Czechoslovakia, where it was produced under license, and Oerlikon 20mm Autocannon was also imported from abroad. Yugoslavia could, just about, produce such an aircraft, and even then some of the most vital components were still produced and imported abroad, and even if Croatia does get the German blessing to move these factories to Croatian territory, that does not automatically translate into producing aircraft.

To be honest, if Croatia had an option to transport a factory out of Serbia and relocate it to its territory, much better (not to mention a more realistic) option would be Kragujevac Arms Factory. That would allow Croatia to at the very least produce Rifles (M24s), LMGs (ZB Vz.26s) and ammunition, thus giving them a much greater amount of independance then any aircraft production would.
------------
Though, you do have a point about Croatia needing more modern Fighter Aircraft, and that is something that has to be remedied soon. As of TTL Late 1942, only remotely modern Fighter Aircraft that (Royal) Croatian Airforce posseses are the Three (3) Ikarus IK-2 fighters, the rest being various biplanes which could be pressed into service as fighters, but against anything remotely modern that would be akin to a sucide. Unlike OTL there is no Italy to rely upon here, and Germans are likely to keep everything they can get for themselves, and until Aerial Legion comes back, I think it is unlikely that we are going to see truly modern aircraft in Croatian service. Maybe some other nations may be helpful in that regard however, with Romania and (Now Defunct) Vichy France two most likely candidates.

Romania did produce its own Fighter-Bomber, IAR-80/81 series, a decent aircraft by all accounts, though in relatively low numbers. Vichy France however is fully occupied, and they do have quite a few aircraft, while hardly first class fighters, are still more modern and numerous then whatever else Croatia has in it service. It could be plausable to see a squadron or even two of MS-406 fighters being acquired/purchased by Croatia, since a bad Fighter is still better then no Fighter at all.
------------
Lastly, I do have a question for @Keb, @Changundramon and everyone else for that matter. Does anyone have any thoughts and ideas about how should the reformed Homeguard fromations be organized? I mean in regards to numbers of men, what type of formations should they employ (division/brigade/whatever), any changes that may occur in the future etc?

Nice to see you back in action @John_Smith, and with such a great chapter too. This chapter was really something different, with so many different, unexpected things happening, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time I was reading it.
-----------
So, Kvaternik seems to be out of the picture, for now at least, I really did not expect the conflict between him and Maček to be resolved so peacefully, with him resigning. Tresla se brda, rodio se miš? It is a first good news for Maček and his faction for quite some time now, and it will be really interesting to see what further role, if any, will Kvaternik play. At least, some more energetic, younger officers are likely to get a chance to mold Homeguard into a more modern force, capable of doing a variety of different operations, more suited for persecuting anti-partisan operations. As for the possible replacement, I doubt that Maček wishes for a single person to ever again have the amount of power over armed forces as Kvaternik did, and I am very much in belief that he will fight tooth and nail to prevent King (or anyone else for that matter) from appointing an individual to that position with all the power that it entails. Perhaps we will see some sort of General Staff(Glavni Stan), headed by Vrhovnik still, but his powers would be curtailed and under oversight of a civilian government.

However, I must admit that I really feel pity for Kvaternik, for his son betraying both him and his country, and I really hope we see him return later on in this TL, and that he and Maček have a reconciliation in the future.

Uzelac also retired, and while we can hardly blame him for lackluster performance of the Airforce, some Young Blood is certainly a welcome addition.
------------
However, greatest suprise of all was the Chetniks and Croatian state becoming allies of all things. This may not go over too well with general public, but on the other hand, it will ensure that areas with Serb Majority are pacified and (more or less) obeying (at least somewhat) orders coming in from Zagreb. It is also another hit to the Communist cause, removing both Croats and Serbs from these areas as potential recruits for the cause of Communism. Integrating Chetniks into Croatian Homeguard also adds another weapon into Croatian arsenal, and once they are properly trained, disciplined and equipped, it will give them a decent force of Light Infantry, ideally suited for Counterinsurgency operations because of them being Light Infantry, but also because of their knowledge of local terrain, and because of the connection they will have with Local Serb populations.

Any fancy names in the wings for that lot? Of course you can call them something rather bland, Serbian Detachments of Royal Croatian Homeguard (Srpski Odredi Kraljevskog Hrvatskog Domobranstva), but there would be immense amount of historical irony to have Chetnik Detachments of Royal Croatian Homeguard (Četnički Odredi Kraljevskog Hrvatskog Domobranstva). Extra points if you manage to shove a Croat or two in them, just that we get maximum amounts of irony. As for the name the Chetnik Brigade may have, a decent option may be "Milica Starčević" Brigade, a (Serb) mother of Ante Starčević, so called Father of Croatian State... Wait, does this mean that Croatia has a Serbian Grandmother!?!? :winkytongue:

Somebody that also may be rather excited at these news is Churchill, who may now, more then ever, be convinced that Balkan Landings must happen, with W-Allied troops landing into friendly territory, supported by Croat-Chetnik troops. Reactions of the Yugoslav Gov. In Exile would also be interesting, since Čiča was supposed to be "Their Man", and him signing an agreement with Trecherous Croats is not going to go well, I believe.

----------
King is also playing a dangerous game, as his Guard is persecuting the "Undesireables" within Croatia. If there is anything good about this, is that they are relatively small formation, so at least lists of their victims may be smaller then they would otherwise be. Unfortunately SS is going to put their bloody paws in this mess rather soon, but hopefully at least some of their potential victims may be saved by a much more sympathetic person(s) in charge.
----------
Lastly, you really are starting to change things, in regards to greater world events. French Fleet making a succesful run for N.Africa, then both Himmler and De Gaulle dying. At least some parts of OTL are repeating itself, as Op. Uranus seems to be going as IOTL, but it will still be very interesting to see where you take this, not just Croatia itself, but how will the rest of the world be changed.
----------
Nothing else to say, Great Work as always, well worth the wait. If you need anything in regards to Military matters just PM me, I have done a bit of work in your absence, and I eagerly await your response.

Why, thank you! Although some things were a bit less surprising than others, such as who exactly would take a fall (I tried to foreshadow that in Sticks and Stones, Part I with the photo of the three shot glasses that denote the characters present in that part of the chapter, with one being empty and turned over, signifying that only one (Kemfelja) would have his story over by the end of the act, whilst others would continue on.

I aimed more for the emotional side of things, as I doubt Slavko would be so indifferent to his only son turning his back on the family that brought him up since the beginning, and I hope it did not seem too disappointing, as I kind of wrote myself into a corner with regards to trying to portray him giving up his position and title in strictly political terms. Rest assured, Kvaternik's story is not over yet, though he will very much become a side character from this point on. Bits and pieces of his post-coup life will be shown in the chapters that will (hopefully) soon follow. As for the council of the General Staff, there will be several Vrhovniks, in fact, in order for Maček to try and crush the perceived unity and uniqueness of the title to Kvaternik's name only, and the council will have quite a job to do in the following months.

----------------------------------------
The legalization of the Chetnik movement, while one of the greatest risk to be pulled off by Mihailović, simply had to be done in order for the safety of his movement, as its far weaker position in Croatia and lack thereof in Slovenia means that he has to focus his attention on Serbia, where the Commies and Pećanac already have their own shares of the population's trust, which only creates bigger problems for Draža. This surprising turn of events will be covered in far more detail in the future, as it would determine the fate of Yugoslavia in the coming months, I can tell you that. I shall not reveal anything more as of yet, but Churchill's, Jovanović's and Peter's opinions will be heard in later chapters.
As for names... I didn't give it much thought, but your suggestion seems so deliciously ironic that I cannot help but like it a lot!;)
----------------------------------
It is a small formation, but it is growing with each and every day, unfortunately. Monsters and butchers from OTL that did not join the Republic of Ragusa ITTL (men such as Dinko Šakić and Ljubo Miloš) will have a field day upon joining the genocidal unit, and only enhancing their readiness for battle can be quite a dangerous development indeed, especially if a period of instability descends upon the Kingdom.
-----------------
Oh yes, Darlan and Heydrich as Head of the SS will monumentally change the post-war world, creating a very different scenario in comparison to OTL, which is a great thing as I fear this timeline still does not seem as different to our world as I hope it should be.
I certainly will message you more in the coming days, I would really like to continue this story as I have a gazillion ideas for 1943 that I would like to finally see in action!

I do apologize for not responding to every other comment and reply yet, I do not have enough time at the moment but I will make sure to do so in a few days! Again, thank you all for your patience and replies, it really means a lot.

Sounds like Croatia will be a bloodbath over the next few months, to put it mildly...

Not as soon as you've predicted, but soon enough...

Not quite, as Mihailović was demoted from the position of Minister by the Govt-in-exile (sounds quite shitty on my behalf as I did not mention it in the story, but I shall soon), and the reasoning for this will be disclosed very soon in a Yugoslav-govt-specific chapter in Act V. Needless to say, things are starting to diverge more and more overseas as well, as the policy of Peter II's men shifts considerably due to very different circumstances of TTL.

The problem with the Commies accepting an independent communist Croatia is that Tito and co. still follow whatever Stalin says, and many right-wingers (the vast majority of whom control the Croatian government, even if they're highly moderate in comparison to a stereotypical Croatian right-winger of the time) won't even contemplate co-operating with communists under any circumstances. It's a no-go, unfortunately, especially as it would arouse far too much suspicion from the Nazis, perhaps even resulting in the downfall of the Croat govt.

As far as the upcoming military chapter is concerned, I am having trouble really making it as ample and detailed as I'd like it to be, so I had the idea of creating a separate thread on the History Maps and Graphics section of this Forum specifically focused on world-building for this timeline where I would post all things pertaining to TTL, including the anticipated military information. I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions on this matter, as I'd really like all the advice I can get on this matter!

As far as the upcoming military chapter is concerned, I am having trouble really making it as ample and detailed as I'd like it to be, so I had the idea of creating a separate thread on the History Maps and Graphics section of this Forum specifically focused on world-building for this timeline where I would post all things pertaining to TTL, including the anticipated military information. I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions on this matter, as I'd really like all the advice I can get on this matter!

I am all for it, and if you need any help with military, just ask, I will be more then happy to help.

EDIT: Here is the OTL organisation of Mountain Brigade, something that is likely to be repeated ITTL, since this is much better suited for COIN operations then conventional divisions.

Mountain Brigade - Organization and Equipment (Dec 1943)
(Officers/Non-Commissioned Officers/Men)
Brigade HQ: 20/16/50
2 x Mountain Regiments each with: 83/387/2643
Armored Troop or Section: 1/12/62, 3 medium tanks and 2 light tanks
2 x Artillery Groups each with: 23/101/624, 8 x 7.5cm mountain guns and 3 x 10cm howitzers
Engineer Co.: 4/21/191
Signal Co.: 5/32/200
Supply Columns: 3/18/283
Rations Co.: 6/19/107
Medical Co.: 6/14/108, 10 ambulances
Veterinary Co.: 3/8/92
Military Police Platoon: 1/5/41

Totals: 261 officers, 1,121 NCOs, 7,668 men (9,050 in all), 2,604 horses, 333 heavy and light machine guns, 93 medium and light mortars, 8 light infantry guns, 8 light antitank guns and 3 flamethrowers.

Two of these brigades could be easily combined into a divisions if a need for it arises, and divisional assets should be kept around for that purpose. I mean things like heavy artillery formations (150mm+), dedicated recce units (mounted/motorized/bicycle), signal units, armored/mechanized formations and the like. This would allow these units to fight with some effectiveness agains conventional opponents as well, while using limited amounts of manpower and equipment sparingly.

Equipment is not going to be such a problem, less men and formations in the field, and there is no Vojnica ITTL to gobble everything up. Manpower is something I am not sure on, it very much depends what type of service requirements are in place, but I do think Volunteers could form a majority of the army ITTL, with limited numbers of Reservists/Conscripts in second line/support/static formations. Add to that Ethnic Minority units, Slovenians and Serbs (and Chetniks too) whic will further expand the pool of availlable manpower in Croatian favour.

Reservists could form the majority of Static/defense regiments, with a small number of regular officers and NCOs to keep them honest. These units could be used to protect vital infrastructure and other points, freeing Mountain brigades for offensive operations. Ethnic minorities might also get their own brigade size fomations, however equipping them cpuld be problematic, but even as light infantry they would be useful, especially as they are likely to have a high degree of motivation.

Gendarmerie might also go through reforms, @John_Smith and I did discuss this somewhat, and I sugested moving them from their role as an auxiliary of the Military, a rural Armed Police, and instead putting them under Civilian Oversight. Reduction in numbers somewhat, greater amounts of professionalism and much more militarized then before. Organised along the lines of SS Police Battalions, and it gives Civilian Government an armed force of its own, as a further safety net.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Military reform cont:

Mountain brigades of OTL could be a very good option, but there are alternatives as well. IOTL they did employ Jaeger Brigades, Lovački Zdrugovi, and they might be a very decent alternative around which to reform the army. Below you have the prescribed TOE of the Jaeger Brigade, and the more I look at it, the more I feel that this might be a really good alternative to the Mtn. Brigade.

Jäger Brigade - Organization and Equipment (Dec 1943)
(Officers/Non-Commissioned Officers/Men)
Brigade HQ: 20/16/50
2 x Jäger Regiments each with: 83/386/2451
Armored Troop or Section: 1/12/62, 3 medium tanks and 2 light tanks
2 x Artillery Groups each with: 23/91/453, 12 x field howitzers
Engineer Co.: 4/21/191
Signal Co.: 5/32/200
Supply Columns: 3/18/215
Rations Co.: 6/19/107
Medical Co.: 6/14/108, 10 ambulances
Veterinary Co.: 3/8/92
Military Police Platoon: 1/5/41
Totals: 261 officers, 1,099 NCOs, 6,874 men (8,234 in all), 2,408 horses, 334 heavy and light machine guns, 93 medium and light mortars, 8 light infantry guns, 8 light antitank guns and 3 flamethrowers.

When one compares this to the Mtn. Brigade, it is obvious that it is packing at least an equal punch, and in a smaller package to boot. Adopting the Jeager Brigade as a basis of the Homeguard would really allow Croatia to stretch out its relatively limited amounts of Manpower, while still having a formation capable of performing antipartisan operations. They do lack the Tank platoon of their Mountain Brethren, but it is not like Croatia actually posseses many tanks, and if a need for it arises, it is a relatively easy to attach an armoured platoon on case to case basis, when situation calls for it. Roughly 4 or so Jaeger Brigades would give Croatia a decent enough field army, totalling around roughly 32 thousand men permanently assigned to them. Considering the size of Homeguard is around 45 thousand men ITTL, it does take away substantial amount of them away, but it still leaves them with around 13 thousand men, to employ elsewhere, either in other formations (static regiments, independent formations or support units) or as a training cadre for replacements and conscripts/reservists.

That is before we take into the account that Croatia ITTL can draw on both Exiled Slovene populace as well as Serbian population and Chetniks as well. Even if these men are employed exclusively in garrison units or other support tasks, it still frees up more men for other tasks, though we could easily see both Slovenes and Serbs serving in Jaeger Brigades/other formations of their own, one apiece for each nationality.

Lastly, we could also see both Airforce and Navy wishing for ground formations of their own. In regards to the Airforce it could form a company sized formation of Paratroopers, modelled after German Falschmjaeger, even if they rarely if ever jump out of the aircraft into combat. Croatia does posses several transport aircraft that would be suitable for the purpose, and I do think they have just enough of them to deploy a company of paratroopers into action.

In regards to the Navy, forming units Naval Infantry would be relatively straightforward, equipment is not a problem, since there is not any to be had. If navy does go through with that, only pieces of equipment that differ a naval infantryman from a sailor would be a helmet and a rifle, but navy could argue that it does need them for protection of the ports and other vital coastal installations. Either way, it does allow John to have a unit named Uskoci, so all is good.

TBC...

EDIT: Also, we could see Mobile/Fast Brigade (Brzi Zdrug) being formed as well. Although this type of unit might not be completely suitable for the type of warfare Homeguard is currently facing, it is completely possible that they would want some sort of a more mobile unit at their disposal, unlike leg infantry that comprises the majority of their military.

In OTL 1944, this unit comprised out of 3 battalions, 2 of bicycle infantry and one horse mounted. This seems a decent enough basis, and we could see various other formations added to it to increase its effectivness. Perhaps a reinforced platoon of tanks (5+ tanks) should be added, along with a motorized reconaissance company (motorcycles with sidecars), a battery of truck towed artillery and a motorized company of engineers? However, we must take into account that Croatia is going to be extremely limited in regards to war materiel, and any units and formations are likely to reflect that. Tanks are a very good example of this, since OTL Croatia inherited about 17 FT-17 tanks from Yugoslavia, and without Italy supplying them, they are extremely reliant on German good will in both that regard and many others. Parts of the Fast Brigade should be motorized, but that motorization should be limited to areas where it would do most good, like logistics or Artillery, where motor vehicles could replace quite a few horses.

Other type of units that could emerge from the military reforms are the Garrison units, which would have a very important task of defending various important industries, installations and infrastructure. They would be rather simple in comparison to previous units that I have mentioned, a regimental sized formation would be more then adequate IMHO. Consisting out of 3 to 4 battalions of infantry (light, maybe obsolete arms) and perhaps a Hvy. Weapons company (limited numbers of HMGs and Mortars). Of course, most of the men in these units would be either older reservists or conscripts, with regulars present only in smaller numbers, and it could be expected that most of them would not be serving far from home in most cases.

As I have already mentioned both Paratroopers (Padobranski Lovci) and Naval Infantry (Mornaričko Pješaštvo/Uskoci) we should have some more details about them.

Paratroopers should be around the size of a Company, with 3 rifle platoons and a Hvy. Wep. Platoon, with high proportion of SMGs present in their TOE, similar and inspired by their German counterparts. Relatively small size would allow for strict screening process and ensure that only the best quiality personnel are allowed to join up, and would allow Croatia to form a rather elite light infantry unit, if rather limited in size.

Of course, it is very likely that they see very few or even no actual combat drops, but instead they are used as an elite unit of light infantry, which later on could be expanded up to the size of a battalion, again similar to the German practice.

As for the Naval Infantry, they could start their existance as little more then glorified port guards, sailors given a rifle and couple of rounds, mainly there to keep the otger sailors in line. Later on their roles might be expanded to serving on board ships (what few Riyal Croatian Navy has) as landing parties to islands and the like, as well as providing a bit more firepower when there is a need to inspect various craft in Croatian Territorial waters. As for their size, it seems reasonable that they are split into company sized units (Satnije Mornaričkog Pješaštva) , which could be combined into Battalion sized formations, (Bojna/Bataljun Mornaričkog Pješaštva) with a bit of heavier weapons added on. Name could be changed though, and Naval Infantry units could be renamed into Uskoci and that would be rather appropriate if we consider the historical Uskoci were present in situation remarkably similar to what Croatia finds itself in now. I mean, major parts of Croatian littoral occupied by Venice/its succesor state, with hated Mleci masters of the Adriatic and strong on the land as well.

Now for the weapons of the infantry.

Basic arms would remain the same, with average infantryman carrying a M24 rifle, a Yugoslav version of Mauser bolt action rifle, partially supplanted by older M95/24 and perhaps by some Kar98k rifles acquired from Germany. SMGs are likely to remain a limited commodity, Yugoslav army did not have many, and only likely supplier is going to be Germany, at least in short term, until certain things come to fruition. Certain units, like paratroopers or Military Police are likely to have first call on whatever little is availlable, with SMGs remaining a limited issue item.

In regards to the LMGs, ZB.26 is likely to remain the most common and numerous weapon of its class availlable to the average Croatian infantry platoon. There is really nothing wrong with it, it being a rather decent weapon, the main worry being keeping them in working order and perhaps even acquiring more of them if at all possible. Some other LMGs might find their way into Croatian service, the vaunted MG34 and MG42 are likely to make their appearance, if in rather limited numbers, since Germans will be grabbing all they could get their hands on. Some older weapons might also be pressed into service as LMGs, like MG08/15 (WW1 German LMG) or even Schwarzlose MGs (Austro-Hungarian MG), if there is really no other option present at the time.

Pistols are not that important in the grand scheme of things, and one will expect that Croatia will have a dizzying variety of pistols in use, generally as a sidearm of the officers, and weapons mainly issued to civilian and military police.

Grenades will also see issue, German Stick (M.26/43) and Egg (M.39) types, but Croatia could set up its own production of handgrenades. They could either produce existing German types under license, and perhaps with some German technical assistance, but we could also see a "homegrown" design enter production. What form would that Homegrown design take is up to debate, but something like Austro-Hungarian Rohr Grenade could be a very nice choice. It was a rather simple weapon, hollow cast iron head and wooden/cardboard handle, and would be relatively easy for Croatia to set up production for them. Then again, they could start producing something like an explosive can, along the lines of Soviet RDG-42 grenade, it all up to John.

Mortars will be present, and they are going to be either of the Medium Brandt type, around 80-81mm in caliber, both Yugoslav prewar types, perhaps some purchased German made or German Captured Equipment. Lighter mortars too, 50-60mm will make appearance in some numbers, on the company/battallion level, giving that extra punch and indirect fire capability infantry will surely appreciate.

In regards to the uniforms and other misc. equipment an average infantryman of the Croatian Homeguard (Domobranstvo) may carry, it is most likely they end up looking very much like German troops.

Best visual representation would be that of a German WW2 Jaeger, with greatest differences being in different markings on the uniforms, so Reichadler being replaced with the (Royal) Croatian Coat of Arms. Field Grey or Green-Grey for the colour of the uniforms, since they are very likely to depend upon Germany for supply, at least in short term, until domestic production is set up and gets up to speed. In regards to the footwear, Yugoslav issue would serve for now, but later on we could see them replaced by Mountain style reinforced boots, as worn by the German Jaeger and Gebirsjaeger troops.

Hats on the other hand, are relatively easy to replace, and I do think they are going to be the first piece of equipment to be changed, since Šajkača of the Yugoslav army does not have any nice conotations for the Croatians. Its replacement is likely going to be the OTL Field Cap they used, generally inspired by WW1 Austro-Hungarian caps, or perhaps Mountain Infantry Caps? Muslim troops could end up with Fez, one in Grey for field use and one in Red for Parades and the like, ans it would revive another tradition that was in use in WW1. Slovene troops of the Homeguard are likely to use the same field cap as Croatians, perhaps with a Sun used instead of Chessboard, or a combination of the two symbols. Lastly, it would really be a delicious irony if the Serbian units are issued Šajkača with the Croatian coat of arms, for the Serb units of the Royal Croatian Homeguard. Helmets will be present, but I do not think we will see a single pattern in use, at least 3 or even 4 models may be employed at one time, just like IOTL.

Only other piece of equipment that comes to mind is some sort of a camouflage, bit I have severe doubts that Croatian Textile Industry is up to the task of producing it. But then, we could see Zelthban (shelter covers) being made in single tone camouflage, which combine a shelter half and a rain poncho in one garment, and would mean that average infantryman has a bit less to carry around. Since German influence is going to be that much stronger, that early on, it is very likely that it could be a much sought after item.

Lastly, some sort of an Close Quarter weapon may also be carried by infantry, but hopefully Srbosjek of OTL will never gain the notoriety it held, at least in most of Croatia. They are likely to carry entrenching tools, spades most likely, and they do make decent CQW in their own right, if they are sharpened or even used as blunt instruments, they are quite capable of killing a person. Other things may be used too, especially if there are some veterans of WW1 around, and they may bring back some of those weapons into service. Hunting knives of various shapes were used, but Maces, Clubs and even Mattocks were widely used on the Alpine Front in WW1, and they can be easily made by either a local blacksmith or one attached to the unit in question. Axes too may be used, imitating the style of Kvaternik Axe, since their use is not only limited to combat, but they can also be used in fieldcraft as well. Billhooks (Kosio) too, they are widely used farming implement, and they are capable of chopping of branches as well as limbs.

We should also talk a bit about Royal Croatian Navy, such as it is, and what future might hold in store for it.

Currently only ship that could be considered a "warship" is the Submarine Rescue Ship "Spasilac", the rest being fishing ships armed with several rifle caliber MGs and pressed into service, and small Coast Guard and Customs boats inherited from Yugoslav Navy. They have unfinished destroyer still on building slip, but unless they manage to get turbines and heavy gun armament from somewhere, it will simply continue to rust there. Best option wouldbe to sell it off, either to Germans or Italians, really does not matter, sell it to the highest bidder and get out as much as possible from it.

Some newer ships are needed, even if they are built to Civilian Standards and in Civilian Shipyards, they are still likely to be more suitable as warships then fishing vessels which were hastily armed and pressed into service. Something small and simple, around 200 tons or so, armed with several autocannons (20+ mm), marine diesel powered, minimal armour fitted, if any at all. 6 or so would be sufficient for their needs, and I would bet that they would be much better at their roles then fishing trawlers. Of course, if there is any possibility of getting actual small warships, they should try their hardest to get some, even if we are talking only about torpedo boats, they would still be a great addition to their capabilities.

From an economical standpoint, Croatia should try and get more ships out, fishing would provide a decent amount of food, and even a couple more fishing ships would help immensely in staving off hunger and shortages. Larger craft, mixed propulsion (sail and steam/diesel), less then 100 tons, would help a lot in advancing the Croatian fishing industries.

Lastly, some mixed cargo and passager ships would also be beneficial. Mixed propulsion again, wooden hulled, what was generally known as "Motorni Jedrenjak" with a tonnage of a 1000 tons at the maximum. To allow for comerce and people to move around Littoral, even much reduced as it is currently, more efficently, and would help stopping Communist infiltration and influence on some more isolated places in Dalmatia.

Last edited: