I hope you`ll continue with timeline.
Looking forward to your resolution of Croatian-Italian war.

However, if you do not mind, I would propose some of my views of possible, and probably most favourable future, for Croatia in 1940`s,
If it interests you or any other readers,I would see it something like this:

After first croatian attacks, Italy sends reinforcements and reestablishes italian occupation zone in area OTL called Second zone. Croatia is forced by germans to accept italian military occupation of OTL Third zone, as well as full military and civilian control of Second zone. There are no croatian civilian authorities in OTL Second zone, which is anexed into Italy, just as a OTL First zone. Croatia accepts occupation and administration of OTL First and Second zone, but not an official anexation.
Because of continued war, italians decide to use local serbian chetnics and implement ethnic cleansing of croatians from Lika (Gospić, Otočac), Northern Dalmatia (Zadar, Benkovac, Obrovac, Drniš), Eastern Hercegovina (Stolac, Primorje, Konavle). OTL croatian partisans become Croatian Resistance under HSS.
Germans made a threat, in case of further croatian resistance they shall establish german military government in northern Croatia with dissolution of Republic, just like OTL Banat. However, if cooperative, as a teritorial compensation, Germany shall award Croatia Eastern Sirmium with Zemun.

This deal, as well as german demands for quartering of german military and massive forced labour (50.000 workers), as well extradiction of all jews to Reich drive croatian government to open secret negotiations during 1942. of possible side switching.

Croatian government splits into two factions: those willing to accept temporary deal and those that resign from government and move into Bosnia to prepare Resistance against Italians and chetnics with strong points in Hercegovina and Central Dalmatia, as well in Gorski kotar-Kapela region. At the same time most serbs from northern Bosnia remain mostly passive, waiting for german defeat and restauration of Royal Yugoslavia.

Unfortunately, British government is not willing to recognize a german puppet state, insisting that only a deal between croatian and yugoslavian government in exile can be base for recognition and aliance. After surrender of Italy, Croatia reannexes lost teritories, as well as Rijeka, Kvarner and Zadar. And then, after a secret deal betwen Ivan Šubašić (croatian representative) and Yugoslavian Prime minister Božidar Purić in which Croatia will accept Croatia in personal (king Karagiorgievich) and real union of Yugoslavia, with constitution similar to that of Austro-hungary. Other Yugoslavian crown lands are: Serbia (in 1913. borders with Vojvodina), Slovenia, Monte Negro (1913. borders)and Bosnia-Hercegovina. Croatia keeps Sirmium and Boka, as well as Megymurye and most of Istria.
In September 1943 Sabor and Maček accept yugoslavian compromise constitution and declares themselves part of Yugoslavia, and in war with Germany. Germay ocuppies Croatia and installs german military administration. Croatian government, parliament and army move to former italian zones (Split) and mountains. It is the greatest free teritory in occupied Europe.

Croatian "Domobranstvo" (Home Guard) is the backbone of New Yugoslavian Liberation Army, with chetnics as second part and communist resistance (People`s Liberation Resistance) being a distant third. British forces land south of Split, which serves as temporary Croatian capital, during german occupation of Zagreb and Northern Croatia and Bosnia. After german withdrawal in April 45, croatian forces march into Zagreb, while Drazha Mihailovichs chetniks march into Belgrade.Croatian forces march into Istria, while british enter Trieste from Italy and Ljubljana from Austria. Red Army does not enter into Yugoslavia, because of strong opposition of Yugoslavian(serbian)-Croatian armies.

Last edited:
II.IV | If You're Gonna Die, Die With Your Boots On - June 4, 1941
„They've got us surrounded!“

„God damn it! Where do we go?!“

„Return fire! We've got them corner…“

„Commander! No!“

„Advance, boys, we've got ourselves some scum to squash!“

upload_2018-1-31_10-31-59.png

„What the hell is going on?“

„They've breached the defenses… The constables and the Home Guard are fighting for each street of Ogulin at this moment, while Samobor and Jastrebarsko are under heavy shelling as we speak.“

Krbek's fist contorted in anger. He tried to calm down, but he felt himself failing with each passing second.

„And Štancer?“

„His troops are close, but they are still in trouble.“

„Kvaternik?“

„He was told to arrive there after fortifying the positions between the Krka and the Zrmanja.“

„Alright… And the southern sector?“

„Silent. Laxa is still waiting there.“

„This does not bode well.“

„Tell me about it, Your Excellency...“

„When is the crossing of the Cetina river planned?“

„In a few days. There is bound to be some resistance there but we have support from the occupied towns so it shouldn't be that much of an issue.“

„Alright. You can go now, Minister.“

Đuka Kemfelja left the room, but his presence was quickly replaced by ambassador Siegfried Kasche. Krbek was clearly unhappy because of the young German's presence, and he did not try to hide his discontent. He adjusted his glasses with his right hand, and asked Kasche while frowning

„Ambassador… What a pleasure to be in your company.“

Kasche chuckled at Krbek's angry face.

„Oh please… The pleasure is all mine. I noticed you are in need of some good information, and I have just the thing for you.“

„Go on then, spit it out!“

„Minister Ribbentrop still hasn't returned my calls, I am afraid. It seems to me that any sort of German response still won't happen for a week, at the very least. Now, if you do not consider that good news, then here's something that might interest you more.

If your army, given its laughable and unprepared state, still somehow bogs down any Italian advance until then, I assure you that you will have Hitler's full and honest support. Because what the Führer needs is a formidable stronghold on the Mediterranean Sea, and not some incompetent buffoon picking up bits and pieces of territory and prestige right behind the Wehrmacht.

He already created a mess down south in Greece, and if you succeed in embarrassing him again in less than a year, then it will clearly break the Führer's already shaky trust in him.“

Dr Ivo Krbek contemplated Kasche's points. They made a lot of sense, but the horrible feeling in his chest still persisted. He still felt betrayed by the charming ambassador.

„If… What happens if we lose?“

Siegfried Kasche easily smiled at his question.

„Mussolini will find a suitable member from your extensive fifth column. After all, there are still many left in Italy, just waiting for the opportunity to jump in and get rid of your little agrarian dream that the Ban has started building.“

Krbek elected to ignore his answer and decided on saying.

„We have given you generous gifts, both in territory and in freedom for your people. Our young men have been sent as simple cannon fodder to die in the mountains, yet you can't solve such a simple issue as Minister Ribbentrop intervening when his allies need him most.“

Laughter emanated throughout the room. Krbek stood there flabbergasted, unaware that he was telling any type of joke to the official. Kasche calmed down a little and replied quickly.

„How silly it is of you to assume the Reich would be there whenever you need them. First of all, the Reich is not your mother, it can't and will not intervene while its interests are not threatened. It will only chime in once it decides to. When the big ones fight, the small ones should be under the table [1]. Now if you'll excuse me, I have some important business to attend to.“

And Kasche left the room, leaving Ivo Krbek to his troubled thoughts.

„Who are you?!“

„Come with me if you want to live!“

„We can't go anywhere, we're surrounded!“

„Calm down, we have a small opening there. If we use it to our advantage we will break through their lines.“

„Alright, on three.“

„One, two, three!“

A hail of bullets engulfed the otherwise calm mountainous air, making the sound echo throughout the rocky terrain.

„We're through!“

„Keep going, we're not out of harm's way yet!“

[1] This quote was used by Vladko Maček IOTL to justify his passive stance during the war in Yugoslavia.

Last edited:
This feels like a sadistic mission objective in a strategy game. Poor Croatia.

It's not looking well right now, there isn't much chance for Croatia getting out of this on good terms, but I wouldn't say they're 100% hopeless.

I am wondering, what would be done to the generals who decided to go to war in case of Croatia surviving (albeit gutted)? Would they be given a trial? Or would they be left alone?
I know they're pretty much dead if Croatia is destroyed completely, but I'd still like to have all scenarios covered.

It's not looking well right now, there isn't much chance for Croatia getting out of this on good terms, but I wouldn't say they're 100% hopeless.

I am wondering, what would be done to the generals who decided to go to war in case of Croatia surviving (albeit gutted)? Would they be given a trial? Or would they be left alone?
I know they're pretty much dead if Croatia is destroyed completely, but I'd still like to have all scenarios covered.
If you mean what would the Italians do- they probably would try to get some show trials going.

Maček, as political C-in-C should be first to take any responsibility. You don't have to be a military expert to figure out how such an adventure will end.

Maček, as political C-in-C should be first to take any responsibility. You don't have to be a military expert to figure out how such an adventure will end.

Italians would probably want to have Maček humiliated, but not a marter. Interestingly, when Hitler offered Italians WHOLE ISC (NDH), Mussolini refused, as that was too much trouble. Maybe they would install Pavelić as some kind of puppet ruler in "South Croatia" from Rijeka to Mostar, Split and Dubrovnik, keeping it technically Croatia ?

Italians would probably want to have Maček humiliated, but not a marter. Interestingly, when Hitler offered Italians WHOLE ISC (NDH), Mussolini refused, as that was too much trouble. Maybe they would install Pavelić as some kind of puppet ruler in "South Croatia" from Rijeka to Mostar, Split and Dubrovnik, keeping it technically Croatia ?

That would make Maček a fool that has destroyed the country by acting foolishly, not a martir.

That would make Maček a fool that has destroyed the country by acting foolishly, not a martir.

War against Italy in May 1941 ? There is no victory there. Only degrees of defeat.
War against Germany a that time would be suicide, just like "Užička republika" (Uzhice republic) was in Serbia.

II.V | The Time Will Come For Him - June 5, 1941
Slavko Štancer paced around his small makeshift office in an old run-down cottage on the outskirts of recently liberated Gospić. The main objectives of his area of operation were not fulfilled, with his force losing steam just when Senj was in their sights. Despite reinforcements coming from Supreme General Kvaternik, the losses suffered were simply too great. All he could do now is build defenses in order to stop any Italian counterattack.

But that wasn't the only thing on his mind. He received information of commander Šolc's untimely demise, but the events that came after it gave him confidence. From a seemingly hopeless situation, a man, Home Guardsman in his early thirties, Štancer assumed, commanded the leaderless unit and succeeded in breaking through Chetnik lines with minimal losses before returning to safety. The scuttlebutt had it that Father Fire himself led the rogue bands during the encirclement, although nobody was able to confirm it.

He ordered one of his men to bring the hero of the day to his office, which he did with immense haste. To say Štancer was not surprised by the sight would be understatement. The man looked as if he was taken right out of a war novel. Tall, dashing, disciplined, with clearly defined facial features forming a serious expression. He was the opposite of most young men he has seen volunteering for the army yet. While most were inexperienced brats whose hands are shaking at the mere thought of a rifle, this man looked like he held the weapon close to him for the entirety of his life. His stance was rigid, confident and most of all, formidable.

„Reporting for duty, sir.“

„I was informed of your exploits the day before. A damn fine job, I must say.“

„I was merely performing my duties, sir.“

„And you did them exceptionally well, Home Guardsman. You saved countless lives yesterday, General Kvaternik and I are very grateful for that, and I am sure the Ban will be more than happy to have an audience with you.“

„Thank you, sir.“

„Now, Home Guardsman, I must inquire your name.“

„Vokić. Ante Vokić.“

Before they could exchange more words General Kvaternik joined them in the small room. He quickly glanced at the younger soldier before urging him to leave the room. He informed Štancer of troops amassing on the southern border. The two went on to send a telegram of warning to Generals Laxa and Gruić, the latter of whom was already busy taking care of things in the so-called Unincorporated Lands (Neprisvojene Zemlje).

This semi-autonomous administrative unit consisted of the Vrbas and the Drina Banovinas under the helm of general Đuro Gruić and his military council serving outside the jurisdiction of Vladko Maček and the National Parliament. This is considered as merely temporary, due to the need for clear border outlines so new administrative divisions could take effect, as well as Gruić's experience that was urgently desired in fighting rebellious bands running around the Bosnian highlands.

upload_2018-2-11_13-50-0.png

„Are you able to walk?“

Vladko Maček replied to the younger man while limping slightly, using his wooden cane to help him keep balance.

„Yes, Juraj, I am just tired, that is all.“

„You do not have to worry about anything, Your Excellency. Dr Krbek has been taking care of things ever since the bombing.“

Maček's face darkened, his thoughts filled with the tragedy that befell his party and his homeland that day. Krnjević took notice of this quickly, scratching his head awkwardly.

„My sincere apologies, I didn't mean to…“

„It is alright, Juraj. What's happened has happened, there is nothing we can do to change that fact. I am going to have to live with these grave mistakes I have made for the rest of my life.“

„August was a good man, one of the best. But I have faith in Mister Farolfi, and I am sure he will not disappoint.“

„As am I. But we have to keep focus on the future right now. What is happening in Sector North?“

„Minister Kemfelja has mentioned that Operation Littoral concluded successfully, although the casualty rate has forced General Štancer to stop his advance toward Senj and Bakar. Other sectors are still quiet the last time I spoke with the Minister.“

„Have we heard anything from Ciano or Ribbentrop?“

„Not yet. We are still waiting for Ambassador Kasche to respond to us.“

„I hope he will give us something… Anything, to stop all this. I have made a terrible mistake, and I haven't slept peacefully since. I wish I could go back and do things differently… If only.“

„Your Excellency, you must remain strong. Your country needs you, especially now that we live in troubled times.“

„I know, Juraj. It's just so horrid, you know? Having so many lives depend on you and your decisions. I can't help but feel overwhelmed many times when I think about all this.“

„I am very aware of that, but we have to keep going. We cannot just remain on the ground and keep getting kicked around. We must stop the punches getting to us, and we have the power to do so. Maybe we do not think we possess it but it's still somewhere in us.“

Maček took a seat on his creaky bed, smoothing the coarse blanket with his shaky hands.

„Thank you, Juraj, sincerely. You can go now.“

And he was left to his thoughts yet again. This everyday occurrence really didn't help in bringing him to calm down. Disastrous scenarios kept plaguing his mind like a never-ending wave of battalions marching fervently toward their goal. A poor comparison at this time of our lives, Maček thought to himself, chuckling slightly.

If Italians win, then he would hang, as well as his entire cabinet and General Staff. But if his death served any purpose of securing Croatia's safety then he would be at the gallows with a look of contentment on his face.

Last edited:
II.VI | Swear I Heard The Angels Cry - June 6, 1941
Vladko Maček was awoken by the sound of glass breaking. He jumped out of his trance-like state and looked around, searching for any possible intruders. His blind eye certainly didn't help matters either, but when he noticed the wet stain on the carpet next to his creaky old bed he took a breath of relief. It was merely the glass of water that Adam Pribićević left him after checking up on him before he went to sleep.

He struggled to find his glasses, but after doing so, he noticed a pile of documents on his night stand. The old man took them one by one in his hand, noticing the wet outlined circle that the glass made while positioned on top. He read them carefully.

Operation Illyrian Sword (Operacija Ilirski mač) [1] had begun earlier today, and so far, the Home Guard has crossed the Cetina river without an issue. However, they have encountered stiff resistance in the nearby town of Sinj.

But things do not seem so bleak. Apparently, according to another paper that came right after the first one, there has been a native Croatian uprising in the middle of Split (operation's objective) consisting of hastily assembled People's Uprising Corps (Pučko-ustaški korpus; PUK for short) made up of citizens ranging from energetic youngsters all the way to old experienced pensioners. The Italian garrison stationed there has been locked in a struggle against his people for the entire day, and they do not seem to find a good solution to quell the rebellion, according to the source who wrote the report.

The third paper, however, made his wrinkled arms tremble with fear. Both Ogulin and Samobor have fallen to the green menace. Their path to Zagreb was cleared. They will besiege it and raze it, if they didn't already, Maček thought pessimistically. The end to his troubles was nowhere in sight, though, as he read the rest of the letter. According to a few civilians who managed to evacuate in time, over fifty soldiers and citizens of Samobor alone have been rounded up and shot for „civil disobedience and rebellion against the Italian government“. An uncomfortable lump formed in the Ban's throat as he took in the desperate reality he created for his people. The body count kept piling up, increasing its four-digit amount with each passing hour.

He put the paper down gently, as if believing that the thin material was one of the innocent people who got caught up in his overzealous schemes, the ones who paid the highest price – their own lives. Children are left fatherless because of him, their future uncertain because of his naïveté. Mothers are no longer able to embrace their sons, just because they are three meters underground, dead, because of him. Maček considered himself a man of peace, but with each passing June night, the increasing hypocrisy of his beliefs made the unsettling urge to vomit that resided deep inside him increase ever-so-slightly.

He questioned his ability to lead the Croatian people, and with good reason. Maček realizes now, how easy it actually is to be in opposition to someone. You can always point out the flaws of the system when you are not a part of it, how easy it is to portray yourself as a victim whenever that same system goes against you… But when you are the system? How can one create a leadership that benefits everyone? He doubts that notion more each day, despite claiming himself as an idealist. For each supposedly wise decision, there are two more problems that follow, and the never-ending cycle continues expanding until it busts, and a new one replaces it.

His own system, one that he gained after fighting for it for decades, has already been proven flawed after only a month and a half. Uncertainty plagued his mind. How is he going to help Croatia sail through this stormy ocean of hatred and bloodshed into the brave new world? The world he so idealistically dreams of, one where each man and woman has a say in how their country is going to be run? Where everyone decides for themselves how they are going to spend their lives. How? How? How…

Only now does he notice a small piece of paper that his gaze somehow avoided after picking up all the papers. It was not made on a typewriter, and upon closer inspection, the hastily written handwriting appeared to be Juraj's.

He took the paper and placed it closer to his eyes. He registered each letter in his mind, one by one, until the realization dawned on him. His eyes wide, he froze, appearing like a statue to anyone who might enter the room. The paper fell from his fingers onto the wet stain on the carpet, water droplets slowly engulfing the yellowish surface of the small note.

Ivan Pernar, his life-long friend and colleague, passed away early in the morning from his wounds sustained four days earlier [2].

upload_2018-3-2_1-46-21.png

He let out the suspended air from his lungs, however it sounded more like a wheeze than a simple breath. His small frame started noticeably shaking. He returned to the uncomfortable bed, rolled onto his side and started crying silently.

Salty tears drowned the white pillow under his head as he wept long into the darkness. Sleep has befallen him some time into the uncertain night.

[1] I chose the name Illyrian Sword because Diocletian (Roman emperor from 284 to 305 AD) built a palace in Split (operation's main objective) where he lived until his death. Illyricum was the province where Salona (city where the palace was built) was located. Diocletian was a military commander in the Roman Army, which is why the 'Sword' part was added.
[2] Ivan Pernar survived the assassination attempt in the People's Assembly (by Puniša Račić, a Serbian radical) along with Stjepan Radić and Ivan Granđa, however the bullet was stuck near his heart, and the doctors were unable to take it out, which is why I believe he would not be able to survive new wounds due to the condition that he was in.

Last edited:
II.VII | Gates Of Tomorrow - June 7, 1941
„Damn it! For Christ's sake, build faster, Home Guardsman!“

„Yes, sir!“

Commander Đuro Gruić, while always a calm man, could not help but feel jumpy as he heard the news of the Italian invasion from the south. He personally decided to lead the fortification and roadblock building in Mostar, the biggest city of the region, and no doubt an important patriotic symbol of Herzegovinian Croats.

Unfortunately for him, though, small villages and towns southeast of the city named after the bridge keepers (mostari) of its famous Old Bridge have surrendered without a fight, many of them having majority Serbian populations unhappy with Vladko Maček and his politics who wished to evade unnecessary bloodshed if possible. This act left Mostar and Croat-populated western Herzegovina wide open for attack.

This left Gruić and his Home Guardsmen little time to set up defenses in Mostar, but the experienced Brigadier General quickly went to work, traveling from the provincial capital of Banja Luka to the Herzegovinian city during the early hours of the morning, so his distressed tone may be justifiable to some.

„Hurry. We have merely finished a single entrance, we still have to set up roadblocks in south and southwest.“

„Yes, sir!“

As some of the Home Guardsmen hurried to their stations, another small group of them, three young men, possibly in their late teens, approached the weary general in a hurry, appearing distressed. Gruić initiated the exchange.

„What is the situation?“

„Sir, the Greens have captured all villages to the southeast of Mostar. We have scouted ahead and it appears they are going to arrive to Mostar tonight, sir!“

„Good. We'll give them one hell of a fight! We'll send them right back where they belong, you hear?!“

„Sir, yes, sir!“

„Now go to the armory. See if there are any rifles left and distribute them all to people who are willing to put up a fight!“

„Yes, sir!“

Despite everything he tried to do as Ban of the Unincorporated Lands, Vladko Maček's hopes of establishing trust between Bosnian Serbs and the new government by appointing the Orthodox Christian general to the temporary position were crushed today by the realization that southeastern Herzegovina fell without a fight. Gruić could not help but feel disappointment at the people's choice, but he understood why. There was simply not enough time for him secure sympathy from the majority population, and he is not the only man facing this issue. He knew very well that the army suffered from many problems, and after the events of the April War a lot more time was needed for proper military protocols to be formed.

Despite all the disadvantages his country faced, he still felt strong determination and willingness to face the green menace if it meant the safety of his country, and he was dead-set in proving that tonight.

upload_2018-3-4_23-1-42.png

Well-known actor Boris Dvornik in the role of Đuro Gruić, whose actions in the following days and years made him one of the most controversial figures in Croatian contemporary history. This role won Dvornik numerous awards and accolades, and is considered to have reinvigorated his career, while the film itself is considered as one of the hidden gems of European cinema to this day. [1]

Meanwhile, to the far east of Mostar, in a small town of Višegrad, eerie silence filled the small place, creating an uncomfortable atmosphere. On one of key landmarks in the town, the Mehmed Paša Sokolović Bridge [2], stood a large crowd of about a hundred people. Not all of them were in the same position, though. About thirty of them were on their knees, their hands behind their heads as they looked up at their captors. Many of those same captors wore jet black clothes, appearing like wraiths when contrasted to the bright morning sunshine.

Many of them, but not all, sported beards. Those blessed with facial hair appeared far more confident and sturdy in comparison to their shaven comrades. But there is one more thing they all shared in common, they were all armed with rifles. Outdated World War One rifles, but rifles nonetheless.

The oldest, silver-haired soldier among them, the leader, hostages assumed, approached one of the constables, lifting the young man's head up with his hand in a gentle motion. The constable's eyes showed a mix of fear and determination as he frowned at the assumed commander.

„So… could you be a good boy and point me to where you hide your munitions?“

„I'd rather not.“

The boy smiled at his captor triumphantly, as if winning a lengthy argument. The commander was far from impressed, and replied in an instant.

„And I'd rather not carve out your eyes and have them show me the way.“

The constable's grin quickly disappeared, and an uneasy grimace crept its way onto his youthful face.

„It's… It's over there.“

He uneasily points to one side of the bridge, toward a small unassuming house. The older man smiles at him.

„How kind of you. Now, you!“

He turned to his comrades, yelling while glaring at every single one of them. All of them point their heads obediently in his direction, expecting command.

„Use your knives, spare every bullet you come across! And make sure the bodies get thrown into the Drina, we're going to use this bridge later, and I'd rather not stain my shoes again!“

The same officer who thought his life was spared looked up at the old man, feeling betrayed by the cunning rifleman. But before he could insult the grey-haired fox as he pleased, he felt himself momentarily lose hearing after the laborious screams engulfed his ears. He tried looking to his side, in the general direction of the cries for help but before he could do so, he felt a sharp painful sensation in his throat.

One of the soldiers stuck a knife into his throat. He was breathless, the metallic liquid filling his nostrils, making him unable to take any breaths. He tried desperately to stop it from pouring out of the gaping hole but the bearded man relentlessly kept making newer, bigger holes. The youngster could not feel the pain anymore as he fell to the ground, his body limp, forever lifeless.

upload_2018-3-4_23-6-14.png

Mehmed Paša Sokolović Bridge, site of the atrocity

[1] While yes, that really is Croatian actor Boris Dvornik, the photo is actually taken from the 1982 film adaptation of Branko Marinković's modernist novel Kiklop (lit. Cyclops).
[2] Named after Sokollu Mehmet Pasha, an Ottoman statesman who served as grand vizier from 1565 to 1579. He was also the person who kept Suleiman I's death a secret from his troops during the famous siege of Szigetvár in 1566.

Last edited:
The war is (possibly) coming to a close soon, but it keeps getting worse and worse.

What are your thoughts for now? Is there any possible way Croatia could get anything good out of this risky gamble?

The war is (possibly) coming to a close soon, but it keeps getting worse and worse.

What are your thoughts for now? Is there any possible way Croatia could get anything good out of this risky gamble?
Honestly, Hitler's probably going to intervene so that his so-called allies stop bickering with Barbarossa about to start, with him perhaps impressed by how bold the Croats were could could pressure the Italians somehow.

Honestly, Hitler's probably going to intervene so that his so-called allies stop bickering with Barbarossa about to start, with him perhaps impressed by how bold the Croats were could could pressure the Italians somehow.

Sounds reasonable, but would Hitler risk his alliance with Italy in exchange for supporting Croatia? Would he simply not give a crap at Mussolini's tantrums and protests?

Sounds reasonable, but would Hitler risk his alliance with Italy in exchange for supporting Croatia? Would he simply not give a crap at Mussolini's tantrums and protests?
I don't know much about Hitler-Mussolini relations, so I can't really answer that. I do suspect that they weren't very good and that the Germans indeed viewed the Italians as a liability.

II.VIII | White Flags Shot To Ribbons - June 8, 1941
Živjela republika![1]

„Živjela republika!“

The enthusiastic crowd kept yelling out those two words as if it was their first. Those two simple words that meant so much to him. He could not help but smile as he watched the people from all walks of life determinedly raising their fists into the air and chanting the two words that rang oh-so-perfectly in his ears.

Vojko Krstulović [2] felt physically exhausted as he sat there, perched atop one of the stairs of the beautiful Peristil [3], but in his mind he felt like he could do anything he wanted. He took the last bite of his rations before meeting the gaze of doctor Josip Berković [4], the man many considered responsible for starting the uprising just the day before.

But before Krstulović could exchange any words with the old leader, he noticed Paško Kaliterna, one of his colleagues from the HSS, approach the old man, and surprisingly enough, the two started civilly discussing whatever they were talking about, and the young twenty two year-old was appreciative of the fact, since it was public secret that the two had their differences in the past, so just the sight of them smiling and exchanging words like old friends brought solace to his heart and mind [5].

Despite all that, they still had to take care of the Italian threat. The garrison stationed in Split was quite tiny in comparison to the city's size, and the PUK quickly defeated the unmotivated and demoralized Italian troops, however that did not mean that no reinforcements will arrive later. Those bumbling prisoners of war, among many colorful insults and swears aimed at his people, said so themselves.

Krstulović and Kaliterna kept contact with General Vladimir Laxa, whose Illyrian Sword already got stuck in its first stone, so to speak, that being the town of Sinj on the Cetina river. Despite that, Berković was hell-bent on beginning the rebellion as early as possible, to which Kaliterna agreed, believing it will relieve pressure off of Laxa's Home Guardsmen. While that was not the case, the people's will to fight was still to be respected and valued.

upload_2018-3-6_21-29-18.png

Despite the recent hectic events, Split's famous market recovered incredibly quickly, with its many services being offered immediately after the revolt's end

„Unbelievable!“

General Štancer looked at the Home Guardsman intently, as if expecting the younger man to come up with an appropriate solution for the problem.

„I can't believe Aćimović [6] would let something like this slide.“

„I cannot either, sir.“

„Look, Home Guardsman Vokić, make sure to relay this message to any commander responsible for that area.“

„Yes, sir.“

„I am doubtful they could take so much in so little time just with the things they have. I think they may be getting help from the villagers and people there.“

„Possibly.“

„I want the commander, whoever the hell he is, to search every suspicious village and clear it out in case of any rebel activity, is that clear?“

„It shall be done, sir.“

Vokić left the room, while Štancer analyzed the situation before him. Višegrad, Mlječva, Srebrnica, just to name a few… All of them fell without a single spent bullet. How could such a situation not raise suspicion in anyone? That is the reason Štancer decided that a decisive measure must be undertaken if the Chetnik invasion is to be suppressed. Safety of the nation's eastern border is a matter of high importance to him, believing that his homeland needs internal stability so that the war with Mussolini could finish as soon as possible. Unfortunately for him, he could not lead the rebellion clearing personally, since he had Mario Roatta's advance to Zagreb to contend with. And he struggled to find a way of solving it. Should he attack the gigantic army group from the flank or is the guerrilla solution a superior choice? If he goes the guerrilla route, then the civilians his men arm to the teeth can pick off the Greens one by one, but Croatian losses will be high as well… Whatever the old general chooses, it will result in many casualties, but he had to make a choice soon.

upload_2018-3-6_21-29-44.png

General Slavko Štancer faced a difficult predicament while planning the defense of the nation's capital
„He did what?!“

„Y-yes, Minister… Exactly that.“

„What kind of a madman does that?!“

Đuka Kemfelja was beyond infuriated. He has just received information of the events going down in Mostar. The fighting was brutal, as expected, but the actions of its defenders made the burly man's thoughts fill with rage. According to many sources, the city's beautiful Old Bridge, a superb construction that stood the test of time ever since the times of Suleiman I crumbled into pieces under the most destructive industry, that of war.

But who was to blame for that? Definitely not the ravaging invaders, despite what Kemfelja wanted to believe, but rather the Croatian defenders under the command of Đuro Gruić. And to add insult to injury, around a dozen Italian prisoners who raised their arms in surrender were murdered, shot in the back mercilessly by the vengeful protectors of the Herzegovinian city.

The burly man had no idea how to proceed. Gruić was a man of invaluable experience, something his homeland desperately needed in these trouble times. However if he let the man go scot-free it would feel morally wrong, those poor soldiers, despite their allegiance, did not deserve that fate, and the bridge… An architectural beauty, a masterpiece of its creator, torn to shreds by a man who, for some unknown reason to Kemfelja, ruined the symbol of his nation seemingly without a care in the world. He felt personally insulted by the fact, but he opted not to pursue this matter any more, his country needs Gruić's service, despite all this, he did bog down the Italian menace after all… And that is all that matters at this point in time.

upload_2018-3-6_21-30-9.png

Ruins of the Old Bridge in Mostar [7], photo taken after the armistice

[1] Translated to "Long live the Republic!"
[2] Krstulović was a young political activist and journalist, as well as a member of the HSS. IOTL he left Split after the Italian arrival, but ITTL I had him stay in his home city, having faith in Maček's ability to restore Croatian rule there eventually.
[3] Peristil shares its literal name with peristyle - a continuous porch formed by a row of columns surrounding the perimeter of building or a courtyard native to Greek and Roman architecture. In contemporary times it is used as a meeting place, as well as the setting of many manifestations and ceremonies, such as performances of Verdi's Aida during summer.
[4], [5] Berković was a doctor and politician, as well as mayor of Split for a brief period of time (1928-1929). He was known for being a staunch opponent of the Yugoslav regime, which he showed by joining the HSS. He started a newspaper with his colleague Paško Kaliterna (same guy from above) in 1938, however the two men came to more and more disagreements as time went on. While Kaliterna upheld the quiet and unassuming beliefs of Vladko Maček himself, Berković favored a more aggressive approach in fighting for Croatian independence. Luckily, ITTL the two found common ground and became friends again, at least for now.
[6] Štancer referenced Milan Aćimović, Serbian politician who leads the Commissioner Government in Nazi-occupied Serbia, just like in OTL.
[7] The photo was actually taken some time after November 1993, when the Old Bridge was destroyed by the HVO troops during the Croat-Bosniak War.

Last edited: