The Prince of Peace

Nikephoros

Banned
Well, thank you. :) It certainly takes some practice, writing. Don't knock yourself too hard. I've read your TL and I enjoy the style with which you write. History book style, so to speak, works best for me, although I do regret it seems rather impersonal at times.

My only main concerns are the length of my timeline and the detail it goes into. However, I have found that I have trouble reading these nice long timelines.

Well if you enjoy going into such detail, I'd say keep doing so. I know I write my TL for my own enjoyment, as well as others. Even though it's lengthy, I'm quite proud of it. I know what you mean, though... the walls of text can be daunting sometimes. I'm considering applying more images to my updates... maybe going back into some of the older ones to add some pictures. Certainly might break up the text a little bit.

Nikephoros

Banned
Well if you enjoy going into such detail, I'd say keep doing so. I know I write my TL for my own enjoyment, as well as others. Even though it's lengthy, I'm quite proud of it. I know what you mean, though... the walls of text can be daunting sometimes. I'm considering applying more images to my updates... maybe going back into some of the older ones to add some pictures. Certainly might break up the text a little bit.

Well, it's not just you. But yes, pictures, even relatively random, do a lot to break up the monotony.

Funny thing is I can read very long books, so I just think it is something about the internet that bothers me.

Well, it's not just you. But yes, pictures, even relatively random, do a lot to break up the monotony.

Funny thing is I can read very long books, so I just think it is something about the internet that bothers me.

Yeah, I can do that too. It's probably something to do with the screen. I can only stare at the text for so long before it all runs together. :D

I've added pictures to my last two previous updates, and I plan to add pictures to future ones, as it really does help break up the monotony. I know a lot of my posts, especially here, get quite lengthy, so hopefully this will help people in reading my TL, and possibly draw in some other people. Unfortunately I can't edit any of my other posts, or I'd add pictures to all my previous updates.

Comments and Critique are always welcome! I'd love to hear what you guys think about what's going on, what you'd like to see covered next, or anything else. It's the comments and even the critique I get that push me to keep writing this TL. :)

The Star of the Jagiellons
1515 to 1545; Poland & Lithuania

zygmunt1.jpg

King Sigismund I, "the Old" (r. 1506 - 1545)

Poland and Lithuania had been joined in personal union since at least the beginning of the 15th century, united by the Jagiellon dynasty that served as both the Kings of Poland and the Grand Dukes of Lithuania. Ruled by Sigismund “the old” since 1506, the politics of the Jagiellon dynasty had been radically changed following the signing of a treaty of alliance with the Holy Roman Emperor, Maximilian I, who agreed to cease supporting the Muscovites and to arbitrate any disputes between Poland and the Teutonic Order. In exchange, Maximilian wanted both the son and daughter of Ladislaus, King of Bohemia and Hungary, to marry his granddaughter Mary and grandson Ferdinand respectively. Although this would bind the fates of Bohemia and Hungary closer to the Habsburgs and the Empire, Sigismund had no problems consenting to the alliance. Despite these assurances, war against Muscovy did not cease until 1522—even with the aid of the Tartars, Muscovy succeeded in taking control of Smolensk and establishing the Dnieper as the new border between Poland and Muscovy, and to some, the border between the west and east. It was widely believed that with the Congress of Vienna in 1515, the Jagiellons had begun to focus on the eastern border. By abandoning feuds with the House of Habsburg and the Empire, the Jagiellons gained a suitable ally and one less border to defend, allowing them to focus their resources on Muscovy and the Turks, both that would no doubt clash with Poland again in the future. Over the course of the 16th century, the Jagiellon political view would continue to shift towards the east, seeking rapprochement with the Empire and the House of Habsburg.

Sigismund was also forced to look at the succession: in 1512 the Polish King had married Barbara Zápolya[1], but she died in 1515, both the children she had given Sigismund having died shortly after birth. It was in 1518 that Sigismund finally decided to remarry, and the Holy Roman Emperor who intervened to provide the king with a bride—Anna Sforza, niece of his own wife, Bianca Maria Sforza. It was at Wewel Cathedral in Kraków that the twenty-three year old woman married the Polish King who was fifty-one and old enough to be her father. Despite this, the couple got along well—Anna devoted herself to the arts and culture, becoming a patron of many artists in both Poland and Lithuania. The marriage proved much more successful than Sigismund’s first, producing seven children, four of who would die young: Sigismund Francis (1519), Casimir (1521, d. young), Jan (1522), Catherine (1523, d. young), Władysław (1524, d. young), Anna (1525) and Isabella (1526, d. young).

Sigismund faced great opposition throughout his reign from the Sejm, the Polish Parliament that wielded significant authority. The power of the Sejm was so great that the Kings of Poland were not allowed to enact laws without the consent of the Sejm. Sigismund worked throughout his reign to undermine the Sejm and to reclaim some of the power that had been lost in prior reigns. Compared to his predecessors, Sigismund was relatively proactive when it came ruling—he readily incorporated the Duchy of Masovia (including the city of Warsaw) into the royal demesne following the death of the last Piast Duke there, and by 1527 Sigismund succeeded in creating a standing army for Poland, and implementing the bureaucracy needed to support it. It was also in this time that Sigismund finally saw the demise of the Teutonic Order and the end to the threat it posed to Poland when it’s last Grand Master Albert Hohenzollern decided to secularize the holdings of the order in Prussia and to convert to the Lutheran faith. Paying homage to Sigismund, the former holdings of the Teutonic Order became the hereditary domains of Albert as the Duchy of Prussia. Sigismund’s reign also saw the king attempt to seek peace with the Khanate of Crimea—although relations between the Jagiellons and the Crimean Khans remained relatively stable throughout Sigismund’s reign, he was unable to completely end the border raids that terrorized both Poland and Lithuania.

bona283f29.jpg

Anna Sforza, the Italian Queen of Poland

It was in the matters of art that the King’s Italian wife influenced him the most. Inspired by humanist ideas and a revival in classical learning, Sigismund patronized several important scholars. His most important cultural pursuits, however, included the refurbishment of Wawel Castle: with the aid of his wife, he hired not only native artists, but also Italian architects, French painters, and German decorators, to transform the home of the Jagiellon dynasty from a medieval castle into a splendid renaissance palace. The transformation of Wawel Castle was so thorough that it soon became the model for princely residences in Eastern Europe. Sigismund also carried out alterations of the castle at Vilnius where the king and his court often resided—the king preferred his domains in Lithuania as he was less restricted by the council and nobility and had a freer reign. When war broke out with Muscovy once again, in the 1530s, it was also much easier to direct the war from Vilnius than from Wawel Castle. While the queen also decried the Lithuanian climate on the health of the children, Sigismund had moved his court permanently Vilnius by 1539, only visiting Poland for the yearly Sejm. Sigismund was growing older with each passing year, tiring of conflict with both the Polish magnates and the Sejm. He wanted a free hand to do what he wanted, believing himself as both King of Poland and Grand Duke of Lithuania above the squabbles of the szlatcha. By 1540, Sigismund lived a rather quiet life at Vilnius, surrounded by his children and his queen, who cared for him in his old age. In a further attempt to strengthen relations with the Habsburgs and the Holy Roman Empire, Sigismund arranged for his eldest son and heir, Sigismund Francis to marry Eleonore (b. 1527), his first cousin and the eldest daughter of Ferdinand, brother of the Emperor Charles and ruler of the Habsburg domains in Austria, as well as King of Bohemia and claimant to the throne of Hungary. The pair married at Wawel Cathedral in the summer of 1543, but the Archduchess’ fragile health could not handle the winters of Lithuania, and Eleonore of Austria was buried before the Yuletide even occurred in Vilnius.

zygmuntibarbara1.jpg

Sigismund Francis & Barbara Radziwiłł

Sigismund Francis seemed untouched by the death of his Austrian wife. It was no surprise to the court, for the young prince had been enamored with Barbara Radziwiłł, and had not even wanted to marry the Archduchess in the first place. The charming Barbara, with her blonde hair and good graces, contrasted greatly with the staid Archduchess. Sigismund Francis took no time to make Barbara his mistress, and by 1545 there were rumors that the pair had secretly married. Sigismund I and Anna were both dismayed upon hearing that the prince had married her, mostly on account of her Calvinist religion, something which she refused to relinquish and that Prince Sigismund had no qualms allowing her to keep. It was widely believed that this scandal caused great strain to Sigismund I who died not long after news of the marriage became public, at the ripe old age of seventy-eight. Sigismund Francis quickly became Sigismund II and began the process of moving the court back to Krakow—but the mood of the szlatcha seemed openly hostile, and with the first Sejm of his reign due to assemble, there were even mumblings that the deputies intended to renounce their allegiance[2] to the king lest he repudiate his Lithuanian bride…

[1]She gave him a daughter OTL, who married the Elector of Brandenburg. Butterflies mean both of her children die young, instead of just one.

[2]Something similar occurred OTL, but this will be very important in ATL, especially with a Jagiellon dynasty that seems much more likely to survive…

From Lisbon to London
1527 to 1538; Spain & England

joaoiiip.jpg

Miguel, King of Spain & Portugal

Miguel, King of Spain and Portugal had inherited the throne of Portugal from his father in 1521, but only succeeded his father as co-ruler in both Castile and Aragon, as his mother continued to live and was the true heiress to both Ferdinand and Isabella. During this time, Miguel maintained a cautious policy, meddling very little in the affairs of Castile and Aragon. He preferred to defer to the advice of his mother, as apolitical as she was, rather than appearing as a tyrant to his future subjects in Spain. It was only in 1527 that Isabella II died in old age, only seven years after the demise of her husband. It was in 1527, finally, that Portugal and Spain were finally united under a singular monarch, in the person of Miguel. In a break of the policy started by his father, Miguel finally dared to appoint his own councilors in Spain, and to do away with those whom he disagreed with or had qualms maintaining. The Royal Council was completely reorganized, with separate Council of Finances being established. Miguel also sojourned for a time to Toledo, where he ordered the Cortes of Castile to assemble. The summoning of the Cortes was mostly a formality; weakened by the Catholic monarchs, it served only as a rubberstamp for the policies of the monarch, only having real control over taxation. At the so-called Cortes of Toledo, Miguel gained an outpouring of support from the deputies when he sought to lower taxes, especially those on the peasantry and lower classes.

It is unknown exactly why Miguel sought to lower taxes in Spain (and thus revenue available to himself), but it isn’t surprising: with the amount of money generated from the Portuguese spice routes, and the gold coming it from New Spain, Miguel was content to lessen the burden felt by his subjects. Although the taxes would not remain low through the whole of Miguel’s reign (he would raise taxes to finance war against France in 1538), he typically sought temporary taxation methods. Despite this, Miguel afforded little else to the Cortes and regarded them as a mere formality: as in Portugal, the legislature was decreasing in influence as the Aviz-Trastámara colonial empire brought in revenue that allowed the king to rule on his own, without the need of the Cortes to finance him. Miguel was able to do as he pleased when it came to governing his kingdom, especially as he had the money to do it himself without having to ask for contributions from the various kingdoms that he ruled over.

Miguel’s relationship with his second wife and queen, Eleanor of Austria also improved over the years. Despite facing a rocky start, the marriage was eventually consummated in 1521, and she would give the king a further three children: the Infante Charles (1522, named after her brother), the Infanta Isabella (1525), and the Infante Ferdinand (1529, d. young). Although Miguel did not love Eleanor as he had his Navarrese bride, Ana d’Albret, he at least grew to respect her. He genuinely valued her opinions and whenever he was away, he always appointed her Regent. Even despite taking the Countess of Tentúgal as his mistress, he still provided his wife with the respect he felt she deserved. In return, she bore the burdens of his affairs with dignity and did complain as she had in her earliest years in the kingdom. Their marriage became a harmonious relationship, and although not perfect, was at least stable.

henryviii28629byhanshol.jpg

Despite embracing the "heresy" of Luther, Henry VIII of England made a perfect ally for Miguel against France

In the foreign affairs of the kingdom, the King of Spain and Portugal found himself isolated in the aftermath of the Treaty of Bayonne. Unsatisfactory to Miguel, he felt betrayed by the Holy Roman Emperor, and many believed it only a matter of time before it was torn to shreds and France and Spain clashed once again. While France had indefinitely shelved their ambitions to Milan and other Italian territories, Miguel could not forget the loss of Upper Navarre that he believed rightfully is. While Miguel was eager to take what he believed his without Philip’s meddling, he grudgingly knew he could not face France on his own. Biding his time, he accepted the betrothal of his eldest son João to François Ier’s daughter Louise, in 1526. It wasn’t until Henry VIII broke with Rome, and to an extent Philip, that Miguel saw a possible ally. While Henry VIII himself charted a pro-French course (influenced by Anne Boleyn), and even married his eldest daughter to the Dauphin, the death of Anne began soon put strains on the alliance. Henry VIII was soon married to Jane Seymour who provided Henry VIII with the male heir he long desired—he also believed King François to be favoring Scotland over England; the marriage of James V to Madeleine of Valois in 1537 proved too much for Henry VIII to bare, and he soon drifted away from France.

Even though Miguel made good on his promise and his eldest son João was married to the Princess Louise in 1536, Miguel had been waiting for an opening. He saw his chance and by early 1538, Miguel had established a rapport with the King of England, interested in an alliance to contain France. Henry VIII was greatly intrigued by such a prospect, perhaps worried by rumors that François intended to send a delegation to England to demand the port of Calais, under the pretenses that it had been promised to them as part of the Dauphine Mary’s dowry, although it wasn’t true. Miguel played heavily on these fears, and by the spring of 1538, England and Spain had concluded a fresh alliance via the Treaty of Corunna. Soon after this, Miguel began rattling his saber against France, demanding the immediate payment of Louise’s dowry, which François had demurred on paying, promising to pay the dowry in full only if Miguel refrained from raising his second son Charles to the throne of Naples (as well as Sicily) which Miguel had contemplated doing upon the birth of his second son, in order to fully separate his dominions and to ensure both of his sons possessed crowns worthy of their names. Miguel refused to bow to the demands of the French King and sent the Infante Charles to Naples, where he was formally crowned in the summer of 1538 as Charles IV of Naples and Charles II of Sicily, at the age of sixteen; the coronation also coincided with Charles’ marriage to Maria de Medici (b. 1521), daughter of Lorenzo de Medici[1], the Duke of Florence (raised to that position in 1530 by the Pope) and the Duke of Urbino. Given that Charles was only sixteen, Charles was accompanied by variety of Portuguese and Castilian councilors to serve as not only his advisors, but also his effective regents until his father deemed him fit to rule on his own.

duarte2cduquedeguimarc3.jpg

Carlo IV & II of Naples and Sicily later in life; his ascension in Italy was the primary cause of the War of the Three Kings (1538 - 1543)

It is unknown why François wanted Miguel to hold off on raising his second son to the throne of Naples and Sicily, as it removed Spain from Italy, except that perhaps the King of France wanted the Spanish to continue to pose a threat of ‘domination,’ in hopes that the Italian princes might invite France into the peninsula once again, however silly the idea seemed at the time. Miguel however, had no desire to continue ruling his Italian possessions, wishing to focus on colonial endeavors, and Iberia in general. Unwilling to tolerate François’ insults, Miguel declared war against France in the summer of 1538, with Henry VIII declaring war against France shortly thereafter. Miguel was prepared to avenge the humiliation that had been forced upon him by Philip the Fair almost a decade earlier.

[1]He died of syphilis in 1519, OTL.

Things are getting interesting... What about that War of the Three Kings?

It is unknown why François wanted Miguel to hold off on raising his second son to the throne of Naples and Sicily, as it removed Spain from Italy, except that perhaps the King of France wanted the Spanish to continue to pose a threat of ‘domination,’ in hopes that the Italian princes might invite France into the peninsula once again, however silly the idea seemed at the time. Miguel however, had no desire to continue ruling his Italian possessions, wishing to focus on colonial endeavors, and Iberia in general. Unwilling to tolerate François’ insults, Miguel declared war against France in the summer of 1538, with Henry VIII declaring war against France shortly thereafter. Miguel was prepared to avenge the humiliation that had been forced upon him by Philip the Fair almost a decade earlier.

I am not sure than "Iberia" was commonly used at that time. Hispania was the common heritage of all of the Iberian catholic kingdoms (that is why they kept triing to marry and unite untile the catholic kings managed it) Portugal was very offended then Isabella and Ferdinand named their joint kingdom "Spain", as they considered than they had as much right to the name. I would not be until later generations when Portugal did develop its own "non-spanish" identity -no small thanks to the power and wealth form his Empire-

But by the 1520's the portugese crown should still consider than the proper and natural name for the union of Castille, Aragon and Portugal (plus eternally forgotten Navarra) is Hispania (mmm... España in castillian, Espanya in catalan, Espanha in portuguese- which would be the final result TTL? Espania?)

Next update will cover the war. It's also just a working title, may change it in the future... War of the Three Kings/Crowns sounds rather silly, but I didn't want to name it as part of the 'Italian Wars' simply because Italy plays no part. Any ideas on a possible name for the conflict? it's simply England and Spain vs. France (Scotland will probably be dragged in as well, and possibly some other allies... still mulling that over).

I am not sure than "Iberia" was commonly used at that time. Hispania was the common heritage of all of the Iberian catholic kingdoms (that is why they kept triing to marry and unite untile the catholic kings managed it) Portugal was very offended then Isabella and Ferdinand named their joint kingdom "Spain", as they considered than they had as much right to the name. I would not be until later generations when Portugal did develop its own "non-spanish" identity -no small thanks to the power and wealth form his Empire-

But by the 1520's the portugese crown should still consider than the proper and natural name for the union of Castille, Aragon and Portugal (plus eternally forgotten Navarra) is Hispania (mmm... España in castillian, Espanya in catalan, Espanha in portuguese- which would be the final result TTL? Espania?)

Ah, yes, I keep using Iberia in general to refer to the pennisula, but the actual name of the the kingdoms will probably stay closer to Hispania, as Portugal will remain part of the Spanish sphere so to speak, rather than gaining a non-Spanish idenity. While Portugal is very wealthy, it will soon be outshined by production in the Americas, Castilian gold will be going towards financing spice routes in the east, and Castilian manpower will also boost the position of the mercantile empire in Asia and India.

Not sure on the name... it may become known as just Spain. As you said, the whole pennisula was known as such from the 12th century. Much how the Habsburgs ruled Castile and Aragon, but the entity became known as Spain, the Aviz will probably rule over the three constituent parts of their kingdom, Portugal, Castile, and Aragon, but it will become known singularly as Spain. Portugal will remain a part of these cultural sphere, and we will see a great influence of Castillian culture (which will become the dominant member of the union, certainly) over Portugal, although the three regions will all have their own influences upon eachother.

Nice development Drake! I liked the idea of Miguel making his youngest son king of Naples and Sicily. An Italian branch of the Aviz would be very interesting.;)

Nice development Drake! I liked the idea of Miguel making his youngest son king of Naples and Sicily. An Italian branch of the Aviz would be very interesting.;)

Thank you Gonzaga! I wasn't originally going to set up an Italian branch, as I wasn't sure it would be plausible, but Miguel and his father never really cared for them. Having a second son, though, provides a good reason. I'm sure Miguel's Habsburg wife would also desire to see her only son with some form of position, given his older brother, the son of Ana d'Albret would become King of Spain.

I agree;), and having England as allies is great!:cool:

Thanks. :) It was only a matter of time before Miguel butted heads with his great foe, François Ier... Henry VIII makes the perfect ally in such a circumstances! Even if he charts out a pro-French course for a short while, I wouldn't imagine it would last too terribly long. Henry VIII often felt slighted over the smallest of things; he fell out with the Emperor, Philip, but otherwise remained friendly with Miguel. Miguel isn't too keen on the whole Act of Supremacy, but as Henry VIII's church is still nominally Catholic (true reformation will have to wait for Edward's reign, and those after), Miguel doesn't have too many qualms accepting the alliance.

This has so much potential revive it.

Don't worry, this TL is still alive and well. ;) There are periods where I write more than others, but I've put too much into it at this point to put it aside.

The last update was on Wednesday, I think thus TL's alive and well.

Anyway, very interested in how the New World end up looking! also, I hope Poland prospers!

The new world is going to end up very interesting in this TL... I've already thought ahead (but haven't written anything, yet) about it. I don't want to spill too much, but the city of Saint Louis will probably be much more southerly in this TL. ;) The Germans will be involved in the colonization game, too, as a major player, along with the usual suspects like England and France. I'm also hoping to cover some of the lesser nations. I'm mulling over the idea of Danish Newfoundland, amongst other things. But expect the New World to much more multipolar compared to OTL. Even South America will be very interesting...

And no worries on Poland... the Jagiellon dynasty will continue to survive. The 16th century may be chaotic for the Jagiellon kings, but I think they'll slowly work to regain the powers and prerogatives they lost at the beginning of the century. Both Poland and Lithuania will form a very important state in the European system; although they are slowly looking to the east (thus we may still see 'Samartian' philosophy, although probably different from OTL) surviving Jagiellons prevent many of the disastrous restrictions placed upon Polish monarchs following the death of the last Jagiellon king, and most definately the wars with Sweden that sapped Poland of her strength and contributed to her decline.

But thanks for the comments everyone. :) I should start working on the next chapter here soon, covering the war. I'm also debating a chapter covering Scandinavia -- most importantly, a succession issue in Denmark, and the first real issue to be test Charles (the OTL Charles V) as Emperor...

Last edited:
I am not sure than "Iberia" was commonly used at that time. Hispania was the common heritage of all of the Iberian catholic kingdoms (that is why they kept triing to marry and unite untile the catholic kings managed it) Portugal was very offended then Isabella and Ferdinand named their joint kingdom "Spain", as they considered than they had as much right to the name.

Indeed. The term Spain was used more often in the plural then: "the Spains" "las Españas" in the same way that today we refer to "the Balkans" (1)

I would not be until later generations when Portugal did develop its own "non-spanish" identity -no small thanks to the power and wealth form his Empire-

It is pronounced the same in all three languages... it is just spelled differently.

(1) Please do not draw hasty conclusions from such a connection. Thank you.

The term Spain was used more often since the Catholic Monarchs, when from abroad were called the Kings of Spain.

Therefore, if Miguel had survived, had reigned all peninsular kingdoms, achieving the Spanish unification. The nation would be called Spain, not Iberia.

Apologize for the long delay in this chapter! I just couldn't get it out. I was going to write about the war between Spain, France, and England, but this came first for some reason... hopefully I can start updating more frequently soon. Criticism and critique are always welcome!

The Scandinavian Troubles

1523 to 1535; Denmark, Sweden & Germany

The Kalmar Union had never been wholly stable following the death of Margaret, the Danish Queen who had engineered the union. Throughout the 15th century, the Danish kings found themselves constantly in conflict with their Swedish subjects, and had put down several rebellions in order to assert control within rebellious Sweden. Christian II, the King of Denmark had great ideas: for the Kalmar Union to succeed, he needed more power, for both the crown and his future successors. This meant increasing his influence at the expense of the clergy and nobility, as well as the centralization of the Kalmar Union. Although Sweden had briefly dejected his father, Christian II re-conquered the Scandinavian kingdom and carried out a series of reprisals against the Swedish nobility, in what became known as the “Stockholm Bloodbath.” By attempting to impose himself upon the Swedish people, the Danish king had unwittingly driven the nail into the coffin of the Kalmar Union himself. Yet for the moment, he seemed successful.

Christian returned to Denmark hailed as a victor. Spending a short time abroad in the Lowlands, he brought many Flemish artisans into his entourage and met with important dignitaries such as Erasmus, and corresponded with the Emperor Philip, who was in Italy at the time campaigning against the French. The Danish King was especially keen to discuss the Protestant reformation with Erasmus, and was remarked to have said: “Remedies that shake the whole body are of no use; mild measures are the best and surest.”[1] Returning to Denmark, never was Christian II surer of his position, and was eager to embark on a program of reform. Summoning the Rigsrad to gather in Copenhagen, Christian wished foremost to gain the support of his councilors in pressing reform. A Landelove, or code of laws was issued not long after the meeting. Although heavily influenced by the Dutch from his visits to the Lowlands, the Landelove was rather progressive for it’s time, barring the landlords from selling peasants tied to their lands, and certain restrictions on the medieval guilds were lifted to make admittance easier. It was at this time that the Reformation began to spread into Denmark—finding an audience not only amongst the people, but as well as Christian II and his consort, Isabella of Burgundy, daughter of the Emperor, both of whom were sympathetic to the ideas of religious reform.

The zeal in which Christian sought to reform his domains was met with grumbling, most especially in Jutland, who considered the king’s desire to reform, even with the aid of his council, a violation of the ancient charter he had sworn to uphold. In Sweden Christian’s position was not tenable: the Swedes rose again not long after the bloodbath, led by Gustav Vasa. Raising an army in Dalarna and with the aid of Saxon troops, Gustav Vasa waged a war against the domination of Denmark. Although loath to see the loss of Sweden, Christian II knew his position was terribly weak: following the defeat of his troops at Örebro in 1523 and the capture of Stockholm not long after, Gustav Vasa was elected king by the Swedish Riksdag that same year, finally dissolving the Kalmar Union for good. In Denmark and Norway, the end of the hostilities were met with a sigh of relief—the finances of the Danish crown had pushed to their limit, and although many had suggested the raising of tolls over the Sound Due and taxes in general, Christian had refused to do so, perhaps knowing the situation in Sweden was a lost cause, even if he had succeeded in quashing the revolt of Gustav Vasa. With the end of war against Sweden, Christian II devoted himself wholly to internal matters. Sizing down his army to free up revenue, the King of Denmark was prepared to focus wholly on the betterment of his lands and his people who inhabited it.

It was in 1525 that the Protestant Reformation began to take off in Denmark. A monk from Viborg, Hans Tausen began to preach Lutheran ideas from his pulpit. It was not long after this that the ideas began to spread throughout Jutland and Denmark as a whole, and even Norway. As the ideas began to spread, the people began to loot monasteries and churches. Although many in the king’s council spoke against these, Christian II was sympathetic to their cause and encouraged them. Jutland, the region that had been the most hostile to Christian upon the beginning of his reign, quickly became of his foremost supporters as he encouraged the reformation in order to break the power of the Bishops and to concentrate power more firmly in his hands. Taking Hans Tausen under his protection, Christian II corresponded with Martin Luther and prominent Danish theologians who had studied at Wittenburg to reform Denmark’s church. These ideas were supported most importantly by Queen Isabella, who took many Lutheran and Protestant theologians into her service. Although the Rigsrad was opposed to what they saw as overtly radical change, Christian II could safely rely upon the support of the Jutish nobility who had once opposed him. At Viborg in 1527, where the reformation had begun in Denmark, the Viborg Articles were drafted, incorporating several Lutheran ideas. Christian II corresponded frequently with both the Elector of Saxony, but also his former nemesis Gustav Vasa, who was chaffing under the refusal of the Pope to accept his nominations for Sweden’s archdioceses, and who also break from the Catholic Church in 1534. The Viborg Articles provided the basis for the Danish church constitution.

Although the work on religious reformation continued undeterred, Christian faced a crisis in his family life, following the death of his only living son, Philip, in 1529, his two other sons, Hans and Maximilian having died shortly after birth. All that remained was his only daughter, Anna, who happened to be twin of Philip[2]. This precipitated a crisis in the Oldenburg dynasty, as Christian’s uncle the Duke of Holstein was childless, leaving no viable male heir in the next generation. While many believed this a blessing in disguise, some hoping that Frederick of Holstein might succeed his nephew, many knew that he was in poor health and would likely leave his dominions to Christian. While a member of House of Oldenburg from the County of Oldenburg would succeed Christian in Holstein according to salic law that governed the empire, there was little idea of what would happen in Denmark. Most logical seemed to be the succession of his future grandson by daughter, who would be heir to Norway. Overnight, Anna of Denmark quickly became one of the most sought-after heiresses in Europe. The King was ultimately prepared to use his daughter as an arm of his religious policy, ordering she be given the best education possible and be raised as a strict Protestant, all while seeking out a husband who would be a suitable father to a future king.

Christian and Isabella quarreled incessantly over the future of their daughter. Isabella argued due to the impeccable lineage her daughter possessed, counting her Habsburg and Trastamara blood, that Anna needed a husband of a proper royal rank, such as a second or third son who would be unlikely to inherit a crown. Christian preferred someone of a suitable princely rank that would befit his daughter, yet without dragging Denmark into a costly foreign alliance, or the possibly of submerging his dominions within the kingdom of another. It was because of this that Christian refused the suggestion that Anna marry John George, eldest son of the Elector of Brandenburg. His choice soon fell upon John of Châlon, the son of Philibert of Châlon[3], the Prince of Orange and Maria of Praet, acquaintance that Christian had met during his time in the Lowlands. A military commander under the Emperor, the Châlon connection appeased Emperor Philip who was glad to see his granddaughter marry the son of one of his skilled commanders. As a minor prince, John of Châlon would not drag Denmark into any entanglements, and would owe his elevation to Christian and would hopefully not cause any problems. The marriage contract was signed on 1531, and John converted into the Lutheran faith, leaving the Netherlands to finish his education in Denmark. Anna and John would be married in 1534, when both were only fifteen.

The marriage of Anna of Denmark and John of Châlon was the first large scale Protestant ceremony celebrated in Denmark. Many Catholic ceremonies were omitted and Hans Tausen, having risen to become a prominent Lutheran Bishop within the Danish Church officiated the ceremony. In many ways the marriage was the final break with Catholicism. Shortly after the marriage John of Châlon was created Prince of Norway (despite the protests of the Norwegian Rigsrad) to symbolize that his son would be heir to the throne and was formally made a Danish Prince and appointed Viceroy of Norway, although powers remained with several important deputies appointed by Christian II given the youth of his son-in-law. It was in Oslo where Anna and John spent their earliest years, and where their three children Christian (b. 1536), Frederick (b. 1538, d. young) and Elizabeth (1539) were born. John and Anna arrived in Norway when it was teeming with dissatisfaction. The Norwegian nobility were opposed to the reforms that originated in Denmark with the Rigsrad refusing to register some of the legislation that Christian II had passed. The common people continued to cling to Catholicism and the reforms of the church were met with great hostility. Having no political experience, John of Châlon was not equipped to deal with situation in Norway. The stress of the situation, combined with his poor health in the harsh climate of Norway contributed to his death at the age of twenty, shortly before the birth of his daughter. Finding herself stranded in a hostile land, the now widowed Anna was forced to call upon her father, who sent a squadron to Oslo to rescue his daughter and two grandchildren. Sending several regiments to Norway, he ensured the Norwegian Rigsrad was abolished and Norway was subordinate to the Copenhagen. The Norwegian Church was also subordinated to Denmark—Norwegian priests were exiled if they refused to recant their faith, being replaced with Danish priests. As Norway possessed no university, all Norwegians were forced to attend university in Copenhagen, depriving Catholics of an educated clergy and ensuring Norway would accept the Reformation.

It was not long after the death of John that Duke Frederick of Holstein also died, returning the duchies of Holstein and Schleswig to the Danish crown. Yet given Christian II had no male heir to succeed him, the Treaty of Gottorp was signed in 1539, confirmed by the Emperor, Charles V. It stipulated that upon the death of Christian II, the Duchy of Holstein would pass to Maurice of Oldenburg, the second son of the Count of Oldenburg, Anthony. Yet the Duchy of Schleswig, a Danish fief, would remain part of the Danish crown and would pass to Christian of Châlon, Christian II’s grandson and future successor. The treaty stipulated that the intended heir of the King of Denmark would be styled Duke of Schleswig and granted the duchy as an appange. Although the Treaty of Ribe (1460) stipulated that Schleswig and Holstein should remain undivided, the Treaty of Gottorp essentially overruled this, and would contribute to the impoverishment of many of Holstein’s nobility. Many believed this was deliberate: both the King of Denmark and the Emperor benefited from the separation of the two duchies.

[1]In OTL, eager to reform Denmark from the top down, Christian II remarked to Erasmus that “Mild measures are of no use; remedies that give the whole body a good shaking are the best and surest.” He was overthrown less than two years later. Butterflies have still produced one eager to reform the state, yet not in a matter as to throw the state into disarray.

[2]His wife gave birth to a pair of twins, Philip and Maximilian IOTL, but both had died young.

[FONT=&quot][3]He died unmarried at the siege of Florence IOTL.[/FONT]

Valdemar II

Banned
I'm impressed, you really got all the subleties of Danish history and politic at the time. One question Anna are in a good position to remarry and with the high child mortality it may seem a good idea, through there's also risk to it. Of course if she doesn't remarry she stand to get a quite good deal of power.

Thanks. :) I did a little bit of research while I was writing it as I wanted to make sure everything worked out fine. Danish history is actually pretty interesting in this time period so it was definately a lot of fun to write it.

Yes, Anna is young enough that remarriage is definately on the table. Given she only has one son and he's still in his infancy, Christian can't afford to risk it. If he allows her to remain unmarried and something unfortunate happens, it creates an even bigger crisis if Anna is too old to have any more children. Gustav Vasa was widowed around this same time, but it's so soon after the Kalmar Union that it would not be a popular idea and no one would seriously consider it.

If anything, Christian will probably arrange for another significant Protestant prince within the empire to marry her. With the time period approaching the 1540s, it'd possible we could see a more Calvinist minded prince marry her and influence her children.

But she will definately be quite important. She is not a princess who is simply married and is sent away, after all.

Valdemar II

Banned
Thanks. :) I did a little bit of research while I was writing it as I wanted to make sure everything worked out fine. Danish history is actually pretty interesting in this time period so it was definately a lot of fun to write it.

Yes, Anna is young enough that remarriage is definately on the table. Given she only has one son and he's still in his infancy, Christian can't afford to risk it. If he allows her to remain unmarried and something unfortunate happens, it creates an even bigger crisis if Anna is too old to have any more children. Gustav Vasa was widowed around this same time, but it's so soon after the Kalmar Union that it would not be a popular idea and no one would seriously consider it.

If anything, Christian will probably arrange for another significant Protestant prince within the empire to marry her. With the time period approaching the 1540s, it'd possible we could see a more Calvinist minded prince marry her and influence her children.

But she will definately be quite important. She is not a princess who is simply married and is sent away, after all.

Johann Georg of Brandenburg has the right age yes he's 6 year younger than Anna, but Brandenburg had a good relationship with Denmark.
Beside that we have Maurice of Saxony whom was looking for a wife at the time. Through he only heir to a Duchy at the time, it was a very rich duchy
At last we have William Duke of Jülich-Cleves-Berg, whom had the right age too and are rich and unmarried.

Anna would be a good marriage for all of them granddaughter of the Emperor, daughter of King of Denmark-Norway and mother to the heir to the Danish throne.