I mean, he also did know the President was on his way out physically based on his “He looks like death,” comment. He just didn’t know it was cancer. If that gets out that Vice President Carter (if he had stubbornly stayed on) had suspiscions of the Health of President Humphrey and didn’t invoke the 25th in a hearing in front of Congress, his re-election in 1980 has about a snowball’s chance in the Sahara.

Good point.

On the other hand, if Carter invokes the 25th HHH just has to say "No, I'm fine" and the 25th doesn't apply. Carter would then need the backing of the Cabinet and ultimately Congress. It would look like he was trying to usurp Humphrey.

Aghhh goddamn it you got me.

Man, the Carters are an uncommon breed if the stories about Jimmy's father are true.

Carter replied simply, “I resent most of all that they made us look like fools.”
Yeah. Pretty much spot on. I get the sense that regardless of what happens next, be it a victory for Carter or a win for Scoop or the Republicans getting the White House, the historical image of President Humphrey will be the chaos created by a mixture of illness, cure, misinformation and just a genuine belief that there had to be another way. And that might actually be the saddest part of this whole affair.

Excellent update as always. That said -and I’m being half serious- if Hubert was so worried about a successor to uphold his legacy could he legally have appointed his son Skip as VP?

Excellent update as always. That said -and I’m being half serious- if Hubert was so worried about a successor to uphold his legacy could he legally have appointed his son Skip as VP?
He would have needed the House and Senate to vote for him. There's nothing legally barring it, but politically the blatant nepotism would be a hard sell.

Third shortest Presidency but he got to sign Full Employment into law. That's really not bad note to go on. Interested in the midterms. IRL they weren't a disaster for the Democrats but they lost their two-thirds majority. Maybe President Scoop Jackson holds onto it.

I feel like ultimately its a little bit on Carter's team for refusing to take Secretary of State and frankly being fools all on their own, but still, the first sin very much was Humphrey and his people not giving an honest answer as to why the vision of Carter as an energetic VP is no longer viable.

dcharles

Banned
I feel like ultimately its a little bit on Carter's team for refusing to take Secretary of State and frankly being fools all on their own, but still, the first sin very much was Humphrey and his people not giving an honest answer as to why the vision of Carter as an energetic VP is no longer viable.

And there's going to be a big section of the public who are going to think that Humphrey pulled a straight-up bait and switch on the voters, or that he had some sort of dirt on Carter that stayed undisclosed. Either one would be very consistent with the Black Legend of Hubert that Hunter S. Thompson was already developing by this time OTL.

Regardless of what the reality is, the optics are wretched.

You did a perfect job at characterising Carter's deep-seated frustration at realising and coping with the fact he was snubbed. I agree with @Tshhmon, this was powerfully written!

I feel like Humphrey is going to go down as the President that people are like, “Oh yeah, he did that one thing,” and then instantly forget about down the line.

Passing only one significant bill, especially with Democratic majorities, is not going to immortalize Humphrey as a great president. More likely he’ll be seen as one ‘Who could have done more if given a little time.’

Aside from the Full Employment Act, what other legislative victories did the Democrats secure over the past ~250 days?

The what?
I wasn't the poster, but I'm guessing what he meant was the fact that Hunter S. Thompson HATED Hubert Humphrey and often wrote awful things about him, such as calling him "a treacherous, gutless old ward-heeler who should be put in a goddamn bottle and sent out with the Japanese current." As a result, Humphrey's legacy suffered to some degree.

I wasn't the poster, but I'm guessing what he meant was the fact that Hunter S. Thompson HATED Hubert Humphrey and often wrote awful things about him, such as calling him "a treacherous, gutless old ward-heeler who should be put in a goddamn bottle and sent out with the Japanese current." As a result, Humphrey's legacy suffered to some degree.
hunter s thompson on his way to be remembered as a visionary voice despite making a career out of regurgitating the same camelot mythmaking that everyone already believed

dcharles

Banned

Yes indeed.

Thanks for that, btw. I forgot to reply.