The Power and the Glitter!

Oooh, consider this another vote for bringing Wonder Woman back to the big screen. (I've heard that WW isn't even planned for the forthcoming JLA movie; how can that be???

In 1996, Angelina Jolie would be 21 and with minimal big screen experience. Lucy Lawless would be 28....

I could have sworn she would be 23 by then, but still, the only big roles he would have had up to this point would have been Waiting to Get Out and Hackers. Lucy Lawless was already Xena by this time, so she's out. How about a pre-Aeryn Sun Claudia Black?

And if Lynda Carter can't get her schedule clear for Queen Hippolyta, I would recommend Nia Vardalos.

Last edited:
In 1996, Angelina Jolie would be 21 and with minimal big screen experience. Lucy Lawless would be 28....
I could have sworn she would be 23 by then, but still, the only big roles he would have had up to this point would have been Waiting to Get Out and Hackers. Lucy Lawless was already Xena by this time, so she's out.
Lucy Lawless is an inspired choice for Wonder Woman, perhaps the best possible candidate within the timeframe of TTL. With regards to her being locked down because of Xena (and her role as Xena is a prerequisite - otherwise nobody would have any idea who she is), they might be able to swing something there, because the show is syndicated, and most actors have time to make one movie in the off-season anyway. And let's not forget the famous example of Michael J. Fox in Back to the Future, which was filmed at the same time as he was working on Family Ties. It is possible, even for the star of a blockbuster movie!

I think Jolie is a little too young, too wild for the part in the mid-1990s. Her mainstream breakthrough IOTL was Tomb Raider in 2001, by which time she had already won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress (for Girl: Interrupted). It's not yet her time. But she'll have her big shot, no doubt about that.

Kalvan said:
And if Lynda Carter can't get her schedule clear for Queen Hippolyta, I would recommend Nia Vardalos.
Lynda Carter will take part in any Wonder Woman film. Besides, nobody has any idea who Nia Vardalos is at this point, and may never find out ITTL.

Regarding Angelina Jolie: remember, in this story, she had a supporting role in Stargate, which came out in 1994.

Glen

With regard to the Hulk and other series being made into the movies, there's certainly a long history of television series being made into movies and movies into the television series working. Of course, there are also examples of a failure to translate. I suspect the failure in most part is due to actual implementation, not a restriction of the material.

Lucy Lawless is an inspired choice for Wonder Woman, perhaps the best possible candidate within the timeframe of TTL. With regards to her being locked down because of Xena (and her role as Xena is a prerequisite - otherwise nobody would have any idea who she is), they might be able to swing something there, because the show is syndicated, and most actors have time to make one movie in the off-season anyway. And let's not forget the famous example of Michael J. Fox in Back to the Future, which was filmed at the same time as he was working on Family Ties. It is possible, even for the star of a blockbuster movie!

And as a counter-example, remember what happened to keep Pierce Brosnan from playing James Bond in The Living Daylights? I can't believe that Sam Raimi and/or Universal wouldn't pull such a dog-in-the-manger stunt to anyone who wasn't close kin or named Bruce Campbell. Also, I'm not so sure Lawless' agent and manager would want to have her so typecast as a figure of bastardised Greek Mythology.

I think Jolie is a little too young, too wild for the part in the mid-1990s. Her mainstream breakthrough IOTL was Tomb Raider in 2001, by which time she had already won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress (for Girl: Interrupted). It's not yet her time. But she'll have her big shot, no doubt about that.

Lynda Carter will take part in any Wonder Woman film. Besides, nobody has any idea who Nia Vardalos is at this point, and may never find out ITTL.

Well, Harrison Ford was a complete unknown and Mark Hamil was only known from commercials and TV Movies until Star Wars. Christopher Reeve was a complete unknown until Superman. Robert Downey Jr. spent more than fifteen years in the figurative wilderness until he landed a role as Tony Stark most people who knew Hollywood would probably have given to Jude Law, Matt Damon, or Chris O'Donnel.

Lawless got the role of Xena by sheer luck. The original actress who was hired got sick. The filming was in Lawless' hometown. They gave her the part.
So, I don't think that she can be Wonder Woman without also being Xena, and then working the filming schedule with the TV filming schedule becomes an issue, unless she quits Xena to become Wonder Woman. And then there's the concern about people confusing the two characters. Maybe DC wouldn't want the folks behind Xena to ride Wonder Woman's fame.

That said, I agree that she would be awesome.

Nia Vardalos would be interesting, but I don't think anyone's likely to hire her for this role. Also, I'd have to see more of her performances to decide whether she'd be good and not just interesting.

And what if DC used the fact that Lucy Lawless played Xena to choose her as Wonder Woman? Maybe they don't have much confidence on the movie and the character and think: "She can attract her fanboys to the movie, so we will have at last an guaranteed audience".

Maybe to prevent the "Greek-mythology-typecast" she could get cast in another movie, in a different kind of role, before the Wonder Woman one..

Richter10, That sounds like the thinking of both a comic book company and a movie studio, so it's probably true.
And I can imagine Lawless being worried about being typecast but doing it anyway. It would be possible to give her another movie before making her Wonder Woman, but I think it would be more difficulty than it's worth.

Last edited:
Richter10, That sounds like the thinking of both a comic book movie and a movie studio, so it's probably true.
And I can imagine Lawless being worried about being typecast but doing it anyway. It would be possible to give her another movie before making her Wonder Woman, but I think it would be more difficulty than it's worth.

Hum... maybe if the Wonder Woman movie take longer to start production, like if it stay in development hell for a while?

This way, Lawless *would* have the time to a movie before Wonder Woman

But I don't think that giving her another movie would help much. Wonder Woman's an opportunity to be in a relatively big movie, and I think it's reasonable to take the opportunity whether you think you'll always be in similar roles or not.

Well, thanks for the memories, The Power and the Glitter, because they've been good ones.

May the pop-culture timelines that spring from the seed planted by this one be just as great - however tall an order that might be :)