The Power and the Glitter!

Alright guys, sorry for abandoning you for a while (again). Had some real-life conflicts, but I should be able to give an update tonight or tomorrow (probably tomorrow). Also over the next day or so, I may make some edits on my most recent updates.

Realizing I'm coming in a bit late...
vultan said:
Arnold Schwarzenegger...wanted to play Ozymandias
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
vultan said:
Joss Whedon
Just about the best choice you could find.:cool::cool::cool: (I do kind of wonder what Aaron Sorkin might've done with it, tho.)
vultan said:
After going to a comic shop and flipping through Watchmen
I'm trying to recall if the graphic novel was out yet...'cause finding the complete limited would've been a real bear. It was hot.
vultan said:
48 Hours. Predator. Die Hard. Yeah, he’s kind of a big deal.
:p:D

I do like the Duke touch.

Also, you apparently don't share BB's disdain for Whedon.;)

About Kurt Russell, this (wayback'd...) says he was up for Bats in "Triumphant" & "Forever" (& Han Solo!:eek:).
vultan said:
An excellent choice IMO. I only hope it doesn't butterfly away "Bubba Ho-tep" & Sam Axe ("Burn Notice")...:(:(

I'm also not sure about Hamill, but I'm biased by Jackie Earle Haley absolutely owning the role, & by Guerrero. (And, yes, the Hayter-Tse screenplay nailed it {tho, arguably, it was written for an audience that had read the limited or the graphic novel}. The only flaw was Rorschach being afraid at the end.:eek::eek:)
Brainbin said:
I agree that they could probably pull off keeping Hamill's casting very quiet in this era
Agreed, & I think it's a good idea.
Brainbin said:
People are watching the movie, totally wrapped up in his performance, then suddenly off comes the mask and... Luke Skywalker?!
Bear in mind, more than a few in the audience will be looking for him with the mask off.;) (OK, how recognizable will a redheaded Mark Hamill be?:rolleyes:)
Brainbin said:
"He is gonna suck. He is gonna suck. You guys, he is totally gonna suck... Oh my god you guys, he was awesome!"
Also not impossible...:p
vultan said:
I'm just waiting for people to speculate what the possible changes to Stargate may be (I KNOW we've got some Stargate fans on the board).
You have one subscribed, too.:p I suppose Richard Dean "I can't spell my character's name" Anderson is out of the question?:p
vultan said:
Spiner's kind of like Campbell: not a big name by any stretch, just a TV actor... but that TV show happens to be Star Trek.
I have to say, I've never been impressed with him. (How much of that was based on bad writing causing me to want to push him out an airlock at the earliest opportunity, IDK.:rolleyes: {Seriously, do all android characters have to be dweebs?:rolleyes: Except Yancy Butler.:cool: And look how that went.:rolleyes:})
vultan said:
the Borg “Vosima”
Nobody thought of "3 of 5"?:p
vultan said:
The role went to then-unknown Edward Norton
Don't tell me Jeri Ryan turned it down?:p Or was Jonathon Del Arco unavailable?;)
vultan said:
Stargate Finds Another Lead
...Richard Dean Anderson
Damn, I'm good.:cool::cool::p
vultan said:
Devlin rewrote parts of the script to change Jack O’Neil from a cold, brooding character to more humorous and sarcastic
[5] This is sort of how the character of Jack Sparrow in Pirates of the Caribbean evolved once Johnny Depp got control of him.
Doubtless you know, OTL that was at Anderson's request. Also, in response to how TTL's film O'Neill & OTL's TV O'Neill couldn't be the same: who says? OTL's film version had his son die; who says TTL's film version does? The film wanted a reluctant O'Neill; he could be reluctant for a host of reasons, not least simple burnout at doing to many spec ops. (I also want a better explanation why a USAF guy is so much like a shooter from "The Unit"...:rolleyes:)

One downside, tho: this might butterfly "Legend".:(:(:( (OK, how many people noticed?:rolleyes: I'd regret it.:mad:)
vultan said:
the studio was more interested in Jeff Goldblum
I find myself very ambivalent about this. I never liked him, tho he was good in "Silverado". It does seem to bugger Michael Shanks' chances of getting cast for *"SG-1" (presuming it's even made TTL:rolleyes:): he was perfectly cast as a faux Spader.
vultan said:
Angelina Jolie
:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
TheInfiniteApe said:
M. Night being killed in the riots is bittersweet for me. I'm sad that he had to die to save us all from his movies, but I'm glad we won't be subjected to them.
Except for "The Sixth Sense", which I liked, I agree with that. (I won't be sorry TTL never knows who Haley Joel Osment is, tho I will be sorry Bruce Vilanch can't do his "I see dead people" on "Squares".:p)

Also, can I ask about this:
vultan said:
The sad thing is, at the intersection of a President Hubert Humphrey timeline and a more successful Star Trek=film copycat timeline, there is a real possibility much of the dark and cynically beautiful films of New Hollywood are aborted...
Which films did you have in mind?

Last edited:
vultan said:
...why didn't you ask me this on the thread I posted it on?:p
Because I couldn't find the original quote...:eek: If it's where I think, BB's "ST" thread, feel free to answer there, instead.
wikipedia said:
[Angelina] played her first leading role in the low-budget, straight-to-video science-fiction sequel Cyborg 2, as Casella "Cash" Reese, a near-human robot, designed to seduce her way into a rival manufacturer's headquarters and then self-detonate. Jolie was so disappointed with the film that she did not audition again for a year.
So casting her in "Stargate" might be pretty unlikely. (As said, tho, I do like the idea. Especially after "Mojave Moon" & "Gia".:p)

Because I couldn't find the original quote...:eek: If it's where I think, BB's "ST" thread, feel free to answer there, instead.

So casting her in "Stargate" might be pretty unlikely. (As said, tho, I do like the idea. Especially after "Mojave Moon" & "Gia".:p)

It's on the top of (current) last page of "That Wacky Redhead", FWIW.

And as for that bit of Jolie info... we'll say it's butterflies.;)

vultan said:
It's on the top of (current) last page of "That Wacky Redhead", FWIW.
Of course it is...:eek:
vultan said:
IAnd as for that bit of Jolie info... we'll say it's butterflies.;)
I can live with that.:D
Brainbin said:
another ingenue newcomer, Cameron Diaz in The Mask, released at around the same time.
Can I request Cameron get much better roles than OTL? She was superb in "The Mask", & it still astounds me it was her debut.:eek: She deserved better.
vultan said:
any suggestions for 1990's pop culture that don't preclude anything I'm going to do, I'll consider it.
I'd agree with the "ST:V" sentiment. It wasn't terrible (& was most faithful to Gene's original vision), but could've been better.

Only the "SG-1" stuff comes immediately to mind.:eek: (The rest, I looked at the TV schedules on WP.)

Predicated on "SG-1" even happening: avoid the Carter-O'Neill romance. It's silly. (If you can change Jackson so he's less a weenie, you'll also butterfly Shanks quitting & coming back; otherwise, leave him dead. He's not Dr. Doom.:rolleyes:) Also, push Vala into the vortex of an incoming wormhole at the first opportunity. (I like Claudia Black, just not Vala.) And just wrap the show after they defeat the Goa'uld. Go out on a hi note.;) (Yep, not a fan of the Ori Arc.;)) Also, the "ascended" & "second evolution" is plain stupid. (Atlantis being anywhere but around Thera is pretty stupid, too.:rolleyes:)

Can you avoid "Buffy" being a dog? Without butterflying out the series entirely?

Any chance of "Reasonable Doubts" lasting longer? (I really liked Marlee in it, & Harmon was good, even before Gibbs.;)) Or "Shannon's Deal"? (OTL, "Shannon's Deal" was gone already...& "Reasonable Doubts" would be before "Watchmen" TTL, too.:mad:)

On the superhero angle, don't let "Lois & Clark" go for a wedding. (In the comics, it made sense; on the show, not.) Also, let Mulder & Scully stay just friends. (Seriously, can't male-female partners just work together? {Cue Meg Ryan.:p})

Can you sort out some of Milch's (IIRC) alcohol problems? It made the writing (& production) on "NYPD Blue" chaotic at times...& it didn't help the show. (I don't suppose it's going to go longer than 12yrs, but...:p)

Any chance of keeping the original cast & concept of "Murder One"? Of giving "The Sentinel" slightly better casting (Burgi's good, but the other 2 are cyphers), & a 5-year run? Or "Martial Law"? "Profiler", too. (I just love Ally's voice.:cool::cool: Not hard on the eyes, either.:p)

Is there a hope of "C-16" surviving? (OTL, debut '97, #124...:eek:)

Keep "seaQuestDSV" off the air!:eek: (Yikes, it was awful.:eek:) "Due South", too.:eek: Also "Touched by an Angel".

Can you avoid the death of Brandon Lee? And can you have Maury Chaykin fall under a subway train, or something?:rolleyes: Jim Varney, too, while you're at it.;)

Films? (I looked these up...:eek:) Can you send "Days of Thunder" & "Driven" to development hell? (And the writers & producers to hell?:rolleyes::mad::mad:) God, what awful garbage. (And I refuse to watch either one.:mad: Ever.:mad:) I've a hunch your POD is too late to prevent "DoT"...:mad:

Stop "Alien 3" & "Alien 4" from being made at all? And "Point of No Return"? And "Spaceballs"? (I've a hunch they're all too early...) "Speed 2", at least? "The Cowboy Way"? "Serial Mom"? "Die Hard With a Vengeance"? (Even the 2d one was too many... "Live Free..." was way over the top.:rolleyes:)

Stop "Waterworld":eek:... And "Ace Ventura", "Assassins", "The Brady Bunch Movie", "Copycat" (a singularly bad idea: Hollywood really has no clue how serial killers think), "The Quick & the Dead", "Under Siege 2" (the original was excellent; this was pure junk), "Independence Day" (jeez, if those aliens were able to cross intergalactic space, they could stomp us like ants), "Twister" (too silly), "101 Dalmatians" (the original was excellent; this is garbage), "Barb Wire" (much as I like seeing Pam naked), "Daylight", "Don't be a Menace...in the Hood" (a less funny film I don't recall), "The Juror" (how stupid are criminals in Hollywood?), "Mars Attacks!" (tho it might have helped Slim Whitman's record sales:rolleyes::p), "Mary Reilly" (Honestly, if you're going to make a Ripper film, make a damn Ripper film, don't screw around.), "Titanic" (Romance between 3d class & 1st is absurd.), "Starship Troopers" (or at least change the name...), "National Lampoon's Vacation" (any & all of them:eek::rolleyes:), "Armageddon" & "Deep Impact" (2 of the silliest premises for an SF film I've ever seen), "An Alan Smithee Film: Burn Hollywood Burn" ("an epic bomb"...), "Blues Brothers 2000" (the original was terrific; this sucked), "Black Dog" (costarring Meat Loaf is a hint...:rolleyes:), "Bride of Chucky" (&, while I'm thinking of it, all the awful sequels to "Nightmare on Elm Street", "Halloween", & "Friday the 13h"), "The Astronaut's Wife", "Deuce Bigalow", "Galaxy Quest", "But I'm a Cheerleader", "The Mating Habits of the Earthbound Human", "Mod Squad", "Mystery Men", the remake of "Carrie" & "The Rage: Carrie 2", the remake of "The Thomas Crown Affair" (after you've had McQueen do it, why remake it?), & the remake of "Psycho" (& send the producers to hell).

I'd be curious to know if "The American President" couldn't have been more political & less a romance-comedy. And if you can give "Se7en" a kick in the ass (same reason as "Copycat":rolleyes:), it'd be good. (I suppose "Showgirls" is beyond redemption?:p) A change to the (filmed) ending of "Wild Things" would suit me nicely: just don't explain it...) Give "12 Monkeys" a kick, too: don't they know, you can't change your own past?:rolleyes: (Think about it.:rolleyes:) "Last Man Standing", too, while you're at it. (They might as well have called Willis' character Yojimbo.:rolleyes: How unsubtle can you be? And it didn't have the great music of "Fistfull of Dollars".;)) And can you drive a stake through the heart of the theory Keyzer Soze was a real person?:rolleyes: It appears TTL's "Watchmen" could affect Russell in "Executive Decision"; I hope it doesn't get butterflied, 'cause I really liked that one. (If "Escape from L.A." never got made, I wouldn't miss it...;)) Angelina being successful earlier might butterfly "Foxfire", too, which I think I'd be unhappy about. Give "Amistad" a smack? It should've been about them taking over the ship, not the damn court case.:eek::rolleyes: And is there any way "The Negotiator", a superb film IMO, can actually make money?:rolleyes:

I'm really not familiar enough with the histories to offer casting options I'd like on films that did get made...

Last edited:
Realizing I'm coming in a bit late...
Welcome to the party! Would you like some light refreshments? :D

phx1138 said:
Also, you apparently don't share BB's disdain for Whedon.;)
I might have occasion to praise him more if everybody else toned it down a little. He's not that good a writer! It figures you would find Shakespeare overrated, and not this guy, who so defines the word that you could find his picture next to the dictionary entry! But don't get me started, or else I might never stop :rolleyes:

phx1138 said:
Bear in mind, more than a few in the audience will be looking for him with the mask off.;) (OK, how recognizable will a redheaded Mark Hamill be?:rolleyes:)
Remember, it's only been ten years since Jedi. His appearance in the contemporary Wing Commander III was basically that of Luke Skywalker with a beard.

phx1138 said:
Also not impossible...:p
vultan never really went into fan reaction to the casting except for after-the-fact, but I'm willing to say that I called it ;)

phx1138 said:
I have to say, I've never been impressed with him. (How much of that was based on bad writing causing me to want to push him out an airlock at the earliest opportunity, IDK.:rolleyes:
I find much of the TNG cast rather wooden, even when I know they can be better (Burton and even Stewart sometimes fell victim to poor writing), but Data was the only one whose woodenness seemed justifiable to me. The problem was that everyone else talked exactly the same way he did, which - especially when compared to the more naturalistic dialogue and delivery on TOS, DS9, and even VOY to an extent (technobabble aside), really stuck out like a sore thumb.

phx1138 said:
vultan already explained that they didn't want him to reprise the role of Hugh, because the character is a teenager (Wesley flashbacks).

phx1138 said:
Except for "The Sixth Sense", which I liked, I agree with that. (I won't be sorry TTL never knows who Haley Joel Osment is, tho I will be sorry Bruce Vilanch can't do his "I see dead people" on "Squares".:p)
You like Bruce freaking Vilanch?! :eek: I have no words... just, no words at all :p

phx1138 said:
Which films did you have in mind?
Yeah, how about you ask him that on my thread, buddy? :mad:

...why didn't you ask me this on the thread I posted it on?:p
Thank you, vultan. You are a gentleman and a scholar ;)

You mean my "TWR" thread :mad: Are you out to get me today, or what? :p

Of course it is...:eek:
And don't you forget it :cool:

Looking forward to the next update, vultan! I hope it's ready tonight, but if it isn't, I will wait patiently :)

Just dropping by with my opinion on a few things.

Only the "SG-1" stuff comes immediately to mind.:eek: (The rest, I looked at the TV schedules on WP.)

Predicated on "SG-1" even happening: avoid the Carter-O'Neill romance. It's silly. (If you can change Jackson so he's less a weenie, you'll also butterfly Shanks quitting & coming back; otherwise, leave him dead. He's not Dr. Doom.:rolleyes:) Also, push Vala into the vortex of an incoming wormhole at the first opportunity. (I like Claudia Black, just not Vala.) And just wrap the show after they defeat the Goa'uld. Go out on a hi note.;) (Yep, not a fan of the Ori Arc.;)) Also, the "ascended" & "second evolution" is plain stupid. (Atlantis being anywhere but around Thera is pretty stupid, too.:rolleyes:)

I agree with avoiding the Carter/O'Neill shipping, and if Shanks wants to quit his character can stay dead, however I disagree with you on the ascended storyline and I don't it's that stupid to have Atlantis be on another planet. As for the Ori Arc, I hated that too, but I see no reason why the show could not continue forward after the Goa'uld arc reaches its end. Personally, I would have loved to have seen the SGC go up against some regular humans with advanced technology for a change. With religion being a central theme of the show during its entire run, why not just have them go up against some real fanatical true believers who require no proof at all for them to believe. Sort of like the Ori followers, but technologically advanced and without the Ori.

As for Vala, I found her pretty entertaining, but she would be better utilized in a few guest appearances here and there, or why not just have her go through something truly traumatic which dramatically tones the character down to believable levels.

Also, try and avoid having Joseph Mallozzi, Paul Mullie, and Martin Gero involved with the Stargate franchise ITTL. Mallozzi & Mullie did some real excellent episodes in their early days (Window of Opportunity comes to mind), but towards the last few seasons the quality really started to drop. Granted Mullie by himself is a pretty good writer most of the time, but Mallozzi is his writing partner, so you can't have one without the other. As for Gero, he does pretty good work with action oriented episodes, but he can under no circumstance whatsoever be let near the characters of McKay and Keller. He's the one largely responsible for McKeller, as well as the overuse of McKay in the last few seasons of SGA.

Though with all the changes made to the Stargate franchise and film/tv in general made ITTL, I doubt the Stargate tv show (if there will ever be one) will be very similar to the one we got IOTL.

Stop ... "Spaceballs" ... "Ace Ventura" ... "Mars Attacks!" ... "Deep Impact" ... "Galaxy Quest"...

Most of the movies you mentioned were pretty damn awful, but these ones aren't too bad. Spaceballs, Galaxy Quest, and Mars Attacks! are three pretty entertaining sci-fi parodies/satires, and there's no big reason why they shoudl be prevented from being released ITTL (I believe Spaceballs had already come out by this time ITTL anway). As for Deep Impact, it has a good premise, and with some better writing, acting, and storylines, it could be a pretty good movie, instead of the average one it was IOTL. And Ace Ventura is one of the few movies of Jim Carrey's career which is actually funny. Why rob a man of such a thing?

Brainbin said:
Welcome to the party! Would you like some light refreshments? :D
Why thank you. What polite, prompt service.:D
Brainbin said:
He's not that good a writer! It figures you would find Shakespeare overrated, and not this guy
How did you know?;) We had to read Shakespeare school, & I hated it.:rolleyes:
Brainbin said:
Luke Skywalker with a beard.
That might throw off a few people. Tho Dave's Rorschach was clean-shaven...
Brainbin said:
vultan never really went into fan reaction to the casting except for after-the-fact, but I'm willing to say that I called it ;)
I wouldn't be surprised if you did.;)
Brainbin said:
I find much of the TNG cast rather wooden, even when I know they can be better (Burton and even Stewart sometimes fell victim to poor writing), but Data was the only one whose woodenness seemed justifiable to me. The problem was that everyone else talked exactly the same way he did, which - especially when compared to the more naturalistic dialogue and delivery on TOS, DS9, and even VOY to an extent (technobabble aside), really stuck out like a sore thumb.
TBH, I never noticed the woodenness, nor the sameness (or don't recall it). My biggest problem with Data was the characterization: able to deal with natural language, rather than limited "input usage", & with (IIRC) 26yr among humans, but still doesn't recognize common idioms.:mad::rolleyes: (Leave off why idiom common in the 20th Century are still common in the 24h...:rolleyes:) It was as if they wanted a Vulcan, but didn't think the fans would accept anybody not Spock.:rolleyes::confused:
Brainbin said:
vultan already explained that they didn't want him to reprise the role of Hugh, because the character is a teenager (Wesley flashbacks).
Posted before I came to that...:eek:
Brainbin said:
You like Bruce freaking Vilanch?! :eek: I have no words... just, no words at all :p
You should know by know, my tastes are idiosyncratic.:p
Brainbin said:
Yeah, how about you ask him that on my thread, buddy? :mad:
You may consider it asked. If you prefer, I will repeat it there.:)
Brainbin said:
You mean my "TWR" thread :mad: Are you out to get me today, or what? :p
Yes?:p

EvilSpaceAlien said:
I disagree with you on the ascended storyline
It's not the storyline per se, it's the "evolution into energy" that irritates me. It's nonsense. Humans aren't evolving physically any more. We don't have to. Once we gained the ability to manipulate our environment (tools, clothes, fire, buildings, air conditioning), we lost the need to evolve physically. It's a common meme; Gene relied on it for "ST", & it was nonsense then, too.
EvilSpaceAlien said:
I don't [think] it's that stupid to have Atlantis be on another planet.
The city, no. A city built by (effectively) humans who evolved separately from us, contrary to the fossil record, nonsense; one built by them & named for a (putatively) real place, ridiculous. Now, if *Atlantis had been an *Ancient city (built by benevolent aliens per the Asgard) & it had left after (or caused:eek:) the Thera eruption, & had been located in the historical location, I'd have no problem, because that fits the fossil & historical record, & the theme of the show: aliens hiding out in our myths. (That sounds so like McCarthy, it's a bit frightening.:eek::p)
EvilSpaceAlien said:
As for the Ori Arc, I hated that too
My objection to it was the implication of "real god" in opposition to the Ori. With the Goa'uld, it was clear they were parasites & usurpers; with the Ori, it began to sound like proselytizing for Christianity. IDK if that was intended, but it did wear on me.
EvilSpaceAlien said:
With religion being a central theme of the show during its entire run
TBH, I never got that sense until the Ori arrived. It seemed to me more a case of opposing slavery & deceit.
EvilSpaceAlien said:
I see no reason why the show could not continue forward after the Goa'uld arc reaches its end. Personally, I would have loved to have seen the SGC go up against some regular humans with advanced technology for a change.
I wouldn't have objected if the show went on, or if the threat had been Wraith or Replicators or something else. I just found Mitchell much less engaging, tho he was written much the same as O'Neill, & I think that's Browder being less likable than Anderson (for me, anyhow). If he hadn't already been committed, I'd have preferred Flanigan. Or they could've done something radical & cast a black actor.:eek::cool: Ending after the Goa'uld just would've been an ideal place to stop, rather than let the show sink in quality. Think of the ending of "NYPD Blue": a perfect close, yet it left open the prospect of a TV movie if anybody wanted to do one.
EvilSpaceAlien said:
As for Vala, I found her pretty entertaining, but she would be better utilized in a few guest appearances here and there, or why not just have her go through something truly traumatic which dramatically tones the character down to believable levels.
I could live with either one. The angle they didn't use enough is the one I'd have gone to, I think: her connections & talents. They need a naquadah bomb to power a Gate, she can steal it. She can identify the bounty hunters before they notice the team. She can find them a ship, or whatever MacGuffin they need. At need, she can kick ass. She doesn't have to be so flaky.:rolleyes:

I'll leave off comment on the writers in specific; I haven't connected enough of them to episodes I did or didn't like.
EvilSpaceAlien said:
Though with all the changes made to the Stargate franchise and film/tv in general made ITTL, I doubt the Stargate tv show (if there will ever be one) will be very similar to the one we got IOTL.
That is extremely likely.;)
EvilSpaceAlien said:
Spaceballs, Galaxy Quest, and Mars Attacks! are three pretty entertaining sci-fi parodies/satires
Allowing for differences in tastes, you may be right. I saw "Mars Attacks!" & hated it. I've seen bits of "Spaceballs" & "Galaxy Quest", & found them stupid & unfunny.
EvilSpaceAlien said:
Deep Impact, it has a good premise
If it was more in the vein of Lucifer's Hammer, I might agree. By the time we spot an asteroid or comet capable of extinguishing live on Earth, the chances of stopping it are near zero. Hollywood seems unwilling to grapple with that. "2012" is the only film I've seen to come close.
EvilSpaceAlien said:
Ace Ventura...is actually funny
:eek::confused: I presume you didn't like "The Mask" at all, then?;)

BTW, vultan, of all my suggested changes above: feel free to ignore anything you didn't plan to do anyhow...;) They are, as always for my suggestions, food for thought. It's always your call.:) You've got to be able to live with it.:eek::)

Last edited:
It's not the storyline per se, it's the "evolution into energy" that irritates me. It's nonsense. Humans aren't evolving physically any more. We don't have to. Once we gained the ability to manipulate our environment (tools, clothes, fire, buildings, air conditioning), we lost the need to evolve physically. It's a common meme; Gene relied on it for "ST", & it was nonsense then, too.

The city, no. A city built by (effectively) humans who evolved separately from us, contrary to the fossil record, nonsense; one built by them & named for a (putatively) real place, ridiculous. Now, if *Atlantis had been an *Ancient city (built by benevolent aliens per the Asgard) & it had left after (or caused:eek:) the Thera eruption, & had been located in the historical location, I'd have no problem, because that fits the fossil & historical record, & the theme of the show: aliens hiding out in our myths. (That sounds so like McCarthy, it's a bit frightening.:eek::p)

Fair enough.

My objection to it was the implication of "real god" in opposition to the Ori. With the Goa'uld, it was clear they were parasites & usurpers; with the Ori, it began to sound like proselytizing for Christianity. IDK if that was intended, but it did wear on me.

It did get that sense with the Ori during the first few episodes of season nine as well, but TBH, not so much in the second half or during season 10.

TBH, I never got that sense until the Ori arrived. It seemed to me more a case of opposing slavery & deceit.

Really? For me religion always seemed to be a central theme of the show, but I guess to each their own.

I wouldn't have objected if the show went on, or if the threat had been Wraith or Replicators or something else. I just found Mitchell much less engaging, tho he was written much the same as O'Neill, & I think that's Browder being less likable than Anderson (for me, anyhow). If he hadn't already been committed, I'd have preferred Flanigan. Or they could've done something radical & cast a black actor.:eek::cool: Ending after the Goa'uld just would've been an ideal place to stop, rather than let the show sink in quality. Think of the ending of "NYPD Blue": a perfect close, yet it left open the prospect of a TV movie if anybody wanted to do one.

Yeah I wasn't much of a fan of Browder either. I think that when RDA left after S8 they should've brought back Colonel Dave Dixon (Adam Baldwin's character from the Heroes two parter). The character was different enough from O'Neill that he wouldn't be seen as a copy, but he still had a sense of humor. Granted it was pretty different from O'Neills (more deadpan and cynical), but with a toned down Vala being there as well, things could've worked out well.

Allowing for differences in tastes, you may be right. I saw "Mars Attacks!" & hated it. I've seen bits of "Spaceballs" & "Galaxy Quest", & found them stupid & unfunny.

Well personally I enjoyed all those movies for what they were. Mars Attacks! was a pretty damn good silly satire of classic 1950s sci fi movies, and Spacballs and Galaxy Quest had some excellent scenes in which they poked fun of popular sci-fi shows/movies, and filmmaking in general.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjEdWTk1l9o

If it was more in the vein of Lucifer's Hammer, I might agree. By the time we spot an asteroid or comet capable of extinguishing live on Earth, the chances of stopping it are near zero. Hollywood seems unwilling to grapple with that. "2012" is the only film I've seen to come close.

Yeah but Deep Impact was still far more realistic than 2012. It had far more realistic characters as well. If they actually had the entire comet impact the Earth, then it would've been a better movie.

:eek::confused: I presume you didn't like "The Mask" at all, then?;)

I absolutely loved The Mask. But I still count Ace Ventura, as well as The Mask, as one of Carrey's few funny movies, so it'd be a shame to see it gone.

EvilSpaceAlien said:
It did get that sense with the Ori during the first few episodes of season nine as well, but TBH, not so much in the second half or during season 10.
I found it so right through. I can't say if it changed; I didn't notice.
EvilSpaceAlien said:
Really? For me religion always seemed to be a central theme of the show, but I guess to each their own.
True. I imagine that's also driven by our own experience: I've been pretty hostile to religion a very long time.
EvilSpaceAlien said:
Yeah I wasn't much of a fan of Browder either.
I don't dislike him as an actor, just in this role. I can't say I've seen him in anything I've especially liked, but I could picture it. A slightly different Jack Bauer, say.
EvilSpaceAlien said:
I think that when RDA left after S8 they should've brought back Colonel Dave Dixon (Adam Baldwin's character from the Heroes two parter). The character was different enough from O'Neill that he wouldn't be seen as a copy, but he still had a sense of humor. Granted it was pretty different from O'Neills (more deadpan and cynical), but with a toned down Vala being there as well, things could've worked out well.
I don't remember him well enough. I'll have to watch for him in the repeats.
EvilSpaceAlien said:
Well personally I enjoyed all those movies for what they were. Mars Attacks! was a pretty damn good silly satire of classic 1950s sci fi movies, and Spacballs and Galaxy Quest had some excellent scenes in which they poked fun of popular sci-fi shows/movies, and filmmaking in general.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjEdWTk1l9o
We're back to "different strokes" again, & on this, I doubt we'd ever agree.
EvilSpaceAlien said:
Yeah but Deep Impact was still far more realistic than 2012. It had far more realistic characters as well. If they actually had the entire comet impact the Earth, then it would've been a better movie.
Oh, I'm not defending "2012" as a movie; it was awful.:eek: It just took a more credible approach to the issue. Then copped out at the end... IMO, there's a couple of credible ways to do it: "Andromeda Strain", where there's a bug on Earth that infects the aliens (yeah, I think it's a looong shot their biology'd be vulnerable), or "The Puppet Masters", where there's a concerted effort & the aliens need human hosts (which comes back to why they would, with incompatible biology, not to mention the whole gravity well problem). Anything else set remotely contemporary, we're doomed.
EvilSpaceAlien said:
I absolutely loved The Mask. But I still count Ace Ventura...as one of Carrey's few funny movies, so it'd be a shame to see it gone.
Huh. I hated "Ace Ventura". And I'm not exactly his #1 fan, either...which may explain why.
TheInfiniteApe said:
Clooney's a fantastic actor who has done some terrible films.
With that I entirely agree. "Syriana" was good, & "Michael Clayton" is a great role for him. He was desperately miscast as Bats, tho. Clooney would never wear that ridiculous suit.:eek: He'd hire somebody.:p (He might even hire Michael Keaton.:p Or Jackie Earle Haley.:p) He was the best Bruce Wayne, without question--but Bruce is the mask, just like Clark is: it's Bats that's the real guy. Keaton made a credible Bats, but is too much a loony lightweight as Bruce. And I'm apparently a minority who thinks Bale is the only one to make both credible. (Having seen "Sherlock Holmes", I wonder about Robert Downey, Jr. And as I think of it, Ben Browder,;) who has the crazy streak.)
Brainbin said:
people seem to like defending his Bruce Wayne, probably because he is Clooney and they do not want to slight him
No, because he has the qualities Bruce should have: there's a suave, a self-possession, yes, maybe a smugness (but he's supposed to be the playboy, so...). He has none of the qualities Bats should have.:rolleyes:
thekingsguard said:
What is the fate of Brandon Lee :D
vultan said:
he survives getting shot.
TYVM.:cool: Which raises an obvious question: what happens to his career? A string of mediocre action films, per Seagal? Or a chance to be a "serious" actor?
Watchmen being a little bit of a giant monster movie
Spoiler alert: it was.:p Might've been better if it'd been Godzilla.:D (Adrian did claim to be "smartest man in the world", not "most original".:p)
Brainbin said:
vultan, this is your timeline, and you should do things the way you want them done. Thanks for giving all of us the opportunity to make some suggestions, but I'll definitely continue to read along no matter how many of them are followed :)
With that, I will also 100% agree. As I also said to Brainbin on "TWR", my attitude is, get all the advice you can, & if you don't agree with it, ignore it: it's going to have your name on it, & if you're not happy, it shouldn't go in.

Last edited:
OK... when I said "today or tomorrow", that should have been better translated as "the next couple days".:eek:

Essentially, I was just letting you guys know I hadn't forgotten about you. More is coming very soon. :)

So, I figured that I had some explaining to do, due to the fact that the promised update has not happened.:eek:

First and foremost, school has been more of an issue than I thought it would be.

Secondly, I had a VERY rough draft for the update when I posted it, but the more and more I worked through it, the more I was unsatisfied with it. Essentially, I've decided to go back to square one.

Thirdly, unlike some more focused authors on this board, I find it hard to stay on one project very long. I'll inevitably want to work on something else, be it related to this site or not. I must have over a dozen Word Documents built up over the past year of works I've started on and ultimately abandoned, or finished because they were short, or whatever.

Don't fret, though, I am dedicated to finishing this timeline! This has not been the first longish hiatus, and it will not be the last. By the end of the month, I will try have something up. But I do not want to give my readers something unsatisfactory: it shall be a very meaty, well thought-out update. I don't want to be constantly posting but have the material be subpar.

Again, sorry for posting that without delivering. :(

vultan said:
If Watchmen is successful, yes, there is a chance less mainstream comics can be adapted into movies. Anyone have any preferences?
There's 3 or 4 I'd like: A more faithful telling of the "Phoenix Saga" from Xmen, minus the origin story. Longbow Hunters. A Sable story, but not an origin. (I hate origin stories.;)) Scout, beginning with #8. And, if you can get the right screenwriter(s) & cast, a JLI story.:p

Going a little broader, for which Sable might also apply, you could adapt Maze Agency, too...tho that's more EQ than comics, strictly speaking. Or Ms. Tree. Or one of my faves (& a little past the height of the kung fu craze, I know...:rolleyes:), Iron Fist. (Play into wire fu & Ang Lee?)

Last edited:
It would be interesting to see if an early success for Watchmen could parlay into adaptations of specific storylines and miniseries and such, rather than the general condense-five-years-or-so-of-history-into-two-hours thing that we often see now. The Dark Knight Returns would be very interesting to explore, given that it was extremely popular, and comparatively new at the time. I'll throw out Moon Knight and Wonder Woman as two characters that deserve their own films as well.

Idea: It's a long shot, but could Art Spiegelman's Maus have been made into an animated (or even primitive CGI) film that could have been played up as something like the anti-Schindler's List?

Superman is another character that could easily have been put to film in the '90s. Development was all over the place for that franchise. Don't forget that this actually happened:

nic-cage-superman.jpg

Though thankfully any footage of that unfortunate and thankfully short-lived shoot has yet to surface. They could have gone through with it, and that film's effects on the superhero genre could have been disastrous.

A couple questions -- Is there any chance of a V for Vendetta that isn't mutilated by the Wachowski's? and is it too soon to butterfly away Batman and Robin? :eek:

(Or, at least have Joel Schumacher unfortunately caught in the middle of a race riot?)

I hate to be the first to tell you. :eek:
:) Somebody had to be. Just your unlucky day.;)

TBH, tho, it's not as bad as it could be. I've imagined a Canadian production starring Duncan Regehr, Jennifer Dale, Al Waxman, & Paul Soles.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
:eek::eek:
:p

(IDK why I keep getting format errors when I string the smileys together...:confused:)

Also, I want to put his link up, Boxofficemojo, so I won't forget. It's a very incomplete list of movie box office receipts.

Even so, I imagine it will still make you laugh: a film earning $970 in total receipts.:eek::p One earning $113:eek: for all of 1981 (tho, to be fair, it was an Ed Wood production:rolleyes::p). And some surprises: "Lady Jane" (Helena Bonham-Carter) made only $277000.:eek::confused:

It also reveals my favorite name for a film ever: "Skank Robbers".:p:cool::cool:

Enjoy.

Last edited: