The Post-Apocalyptic Picture Thread

ed-laag-umpqua-f1-hd-sig-v06.jpg

ed-laag-umpqua-f2-hd-sig-cropped-v05.jpg

The following are DIY/Homemade Marble guns in the Philippines, locally known as a Jolen Gun. These resemble the Tikhar Rifle from the Metro series. These guns are made using PVC pipes, wood, wire, and easily available construction materials and are propelled using denatured alcohol.

FTE9PS4GE7LESUN.jpg

This film freaked my out when it first aired.
And I was a kid reading/watching apocalyptic fiction, but this made it a bit too real.
It almost became a reality twice in 1983: the Soviet nuclear false alarm and the Able Archer exercises in which this film was released at those exercises were occurring. Here in the Philippines, this showed in IBC according to a military and defense expert I talked to online. My dad was only 23 when this was released and he slightly remembers it. Most Filipinos at this time mostly did not care about MAD or world affairs as they were still reeling from Aquino's assassination.

This film freaked my out when it first aired.
And I was a kid reading/watching apocalyptic fiction, but this made it a bit too real.
Me too. I was 11 at the time. I managed to avoid most of the movie. But I walked into the room where the tv was on right when the bombs went off.

The early 1980s graphic effects attempting to depict people being vaporized by nuclear bombs are probably laughable by today's standards. But it freaked me out for months.