The Plague of 1482: The Year of the Setting Sun of York

Chapter 1: Introduction
IMG_6095.png

“1482 was indisputably the worst year for the House of York, and possibly all of the 15th century. For Europe, it was illness and famine. For Edward IV, it was the death of almost his whole family. In this book, I hope to accurately tell the story of the year 1482. The year of the setting sun.”

- Introduction to 1482, The Year of the Setting Sun by Ethan Phillips

—-
Just a quick teaser for now. The real drama begins next chapter…

This sounds eerily familiar to what I did with the house of York in my Burgundian TL around the same years...
I admit I took some inspiration, but the results and the reach of this plague is far different from your timeline. If I ever get too similar, please inform me.

Chapter 2: The Beginning of the End
“It is unclear where the Sweating Sickness of 1482 begun. The first record of the sickness was in London, where it killed a large number of peasants. The first person of note to die was Edward’s daughter, the Princess Mary of York who died on 23 of May, 1482. The death of the Princess Mary was a crushing blow to her parents and siblings. It was later said that her elder sister, Elizabeth was particularly affected by the death of the sibling she was closest to. Edward IV called all his children to court from their different establishments, so the family could be together in this time of tribulation. Little did Edward know, that this would be his dynasty’s doom.”

- The Life of Edward IV by Victor Stanley

“The Sweating Sickness reaches its peak by August 1482. London had been decimated, and reports were saying that the illness had already reached York. The Sweat, however, had not reached Wales. Edward panicked and decided that it would be best to send the children to different establishments. Edward, Prince of Wales was sent to Ludlow in the care of his uncle, Anthony Woodville, and Elizabeth’s eldest sons, Thomas and Richard.”

- The Most Beautiful Women in Briton, Elizabeth Woodville by Sarah Howard

“12-year-old Edward, his uncle, and half-brothers rushed for Ludlow. They moved quickly, and did not eat any other the ‘local delicacies’, in hope that they could avoid the spreading illness. According to one letter from Thomas Grey to his wife, he states “...we are making good time, and I believe luck is on our side...”. It was not.

- 1482, The Year of the Setting Sun by Ethan Philips

Chapter 3: A Spanish Update
OOC: I know you guys love cliffhangers ...... so a Spanish update

“On 29th of June 1482, Queen Isabella went into labor for the fourth time. The labor was a nightmare, lasting 35 hours, and ended with the birth of twin daughters, both of whom where sadly stillborn. This, while greatly saddening for Ferdinand, was not the main disaster of July 1, 1482. Queen Isabella had died one hour after the delivery.”
  • The Life of Ferdinand The Catholic - by Augustus Sink

“Ferdinand rushed his son to be coronated. The coronation was small and somber, and young Juan was noted to have not smiled during the whole process. Despite initial worry, only one minor revolt broke out, obviously in name of Juana la Beltraneja, the supposed daughter of Enrique IV of Castile. ‘The Bastard Rebellion’s’ details are sparse, and without the support of any important nobles, it is quickly squashed. Conveniently, Juana died on November 26, 1482. While the official reason was illness, it is commonly believed that Ferdinand poisoned her. This would probably not be the last person Ferdinand poisoned. It has commonly said that he killed Francis Phoebus, King of Navarre as well”
  • The Ruthless Rulers of 15th Century Iberia - By Mary Hopkins

IMG_3920.jpeg

A painting of the family of Ferdinand II and Isabella I. Painted after Isabella’s death, and around the time of Juan’s coronation.

Chapter 4: The Death of the Prince
“The Prince of Wales never made it to Ludlow. On August 28, little Edward reported feeling faint. His pain was brief, and by sunrise on September 1, he had died. Anthony was devastated, as the Prince had been almost like a son to him, and he had no heart to tell the King and Queen. Instead, Richard Grey wrote to his mother and told her of her young sons death. Richard himself had already contracted the illness it seems, and he died on September 3, the day they reached Ludlow. Thomas Grey died on the 4th, and by summer 1483, all of his children, with the exception of Cecily, Eleanor and Dorothy, had died. His widow, Cecily Bonville contracted the illness, but survived and entered a convent with her daughter Dorothy. Anthony, guilt stricken, died on the 6th.”
  • 1482, The Year of the Setting Sun by Ethan Philips

“The reaction at court was utter shock. The King had lost his heir. He had lost the hope for his dynasty. Fortunately, he had another legitimate son, Richard who was nine. Richard, despite his young age, was already a widower, to the young heiress, Anne de Mowbray. His father, nervous, broke his betrothal to the young heiress of Brittany, Anne, and instead planned to betroth him to Isabella of Aragon. Ferdinand had betrothed his daughter to the young heir of Portugal, Alfonso. He needed to keep the betrothal between young Isabella and little Alfonso, but he also wanted to keep the betrothal between King Juan of Castile and Princess Catherine of York. So he stalled.”
  • The Life of Edward IV by Victor Stanley

“The next tragedy to hit the York family came from the north. Richard of York, the beloved Duke of Gloucester’s family would catch the sweat in mid-September. With the illness devastating the north Richard attempted to isolate the family. However, it was already too late and Edward of Warwick, his nephew, fell ill. Edward had most definitely been in contact with his cousin and Gloucester’s son, also named Edward. Edward of Gloucester was extremely sickly, and despite being second infected, he died on September 14. Edward of Warwick died only a few hours later. Anne Neville wanted to nurse her son and nephew, and when her husband refused her, the normally happy marriage turned sour. Anne Neville blamed herself and her husband for the boys death. The spat was short lived, as Richard himself died on the 20th. Anne again blamed herself, and sunk into depression, accompanied by the only other survivor, Margaret of Clarence, the Gloucester’s niece and Edward of Warwick’s sister. The two would be inseparable for the rest of their lives.”
  • 1482, The Year of the Setting Sun by Ethan Philips

Chapter 5: The Final Fall
“While Edward might have been planning to depart London with his family after the devastating loss of his son, the death of his brother prompted him to leave for Hatfield, in Kent. Kent had not been stricken with the sweat yet, and Edward saw it as the safest place. Miraculously, they made it to Hatfield without incident. October was without death for the royal family. November, however would be the final straw for the House of York. The first to expire was the baby Bridget of York, who was possibly sickly, and had been pledged to become a nun upon adulthood. She died on the 13th, and her sister Catherine also caught the sweat around this time. It seemed that, on the 16th, Catherine was making a recovery. At night, the young girl complained of feeling warm. She was dead within the hour. Edward now had only 4 legitimate children: Elizabeth, Cecily, Richard and Anne. There would soon be only three.”
  • The Life of Edward IV by Victor Stanley

“The death of Richard, Edward IV’s only legitimate son in November 1482, proved to be the final straw for the House of York. Edward heir was now his oldest daughter, Elizabeth.”
  • The White Rose, the Story of England’s First Queen Regnant by Vivian Otey

Are you going for Elizabeth of York as the ruling queen will she have a co rule or rule independently?

How far do you intend to take the timeline I would also images that the Plagetnets line will continue and it's very likely Henry VIII got his interests in France from his mother Elizabeth of York.

I would also imagine the naming conventions of kings will still be Yorkist with Richard and Edward

Are you going for Elizabeth of York as the ruling queen will she have a co rule or rule independently?

How far do you intend to take the timeline I would also images that the Plagetnets line will continue and it's very likely Henry VIII got his interests in France from his mother Elizabeth of York.

I would also imagine the naming conventions of kings will still be Yorkist with Richard and Edward
The first is spoilers, so I really cannot say. I really do not know when I will end this exactly, but it will definitely be after Elizabeth of York dies. France, Brittany, and Burgundy all have radically different fates from OTL. The sweat will also be visiting those kingdoms/duchies.

Elizabeth of York succeeds as queen regnant, marries Henry Tudor, and their son NEVER doubts that a woman can rule, so he sticks with Katherine of Aragon for her whole life?

Elizabeth of York succeeds as queen regnant, marries Henry Tudor, and their son NEVER doubts that a woman can rule, so he sticks with Katherine of Aragon for her whole life?
My be not if a Queen can not give the king sons he can under normal circumstances get an divorce or send his wife into a nunnery.

Elizabeth of York can be ruling queen Henry Vii my be come co ruler also the Plantagenets were never called the Plantagenets.

The Tudors family name was Tudor and that was very unique when it came to nobility they are usually named after places are castles.

His my remember the Dynasty as Plantagenet-Tudor or it my just be seen as a third cadet branch of the Plantagenet gaining the throne of England like it was with the Capations Dynasty in France.

As for Elizabeth and he co-ruler if she has one here rule would be about restoring royal authority and get the administration and tax system working because king Kingdom has been in chaos since the death of King Henry the 5th of England.

I don't think Elizabeth would go after France In here first decade as queen that my go for here son Richard III of England.

I believe the Yorkie names will stick around unlike otl.