The Peshawar Lancers Timeline

I never quite bought how three million Limeys could be ferried the length of Atlantic and more, while so many fewer could cross the Mediterranean from France, Spain, and Italy. Also the collapse of California is doubtful and the effects of tidal waves are probably overstated.

Actually, I'd expect Spain and Italy to have remnants remaining, perhaps allying with France, or maybe even merging with it...

Relocating the Spanish capitol to Seville and the Italian one to Naples (at least temporarily) shouldn't be too much of a strech...

Thande

Donor
I never quite bought how three million Limeys could be ferried the length of Atlantic
Er...they weren't. The British ships went through the Mediterranean, through the Suez Canal (opened 9 years before this), and on to India.

Peshawar Lancers has a lot of implausibilities in it, but that isn't one of them IMO.

I know it would have been cold and the conditions harsh for a while but why would the United states abandon their great lake territories and the upper Mississippi (granted much pass Des Moines might be really cold and abandoned) but the population centers of Chicago (by 1870s a large populated city), St. Louis, and the those in Ohio are not affected by the Tsunamis of the east coast. To top it off with the death of millions on the East Coast there is going to be a lot of food sitting around not being shipped East to sustain that population as a good chunk migrates elsewhere to less harsh climes. (If a devastated Russia that took several massive blows from the Comet/Asteroid can migrate a substantial population to Central Asia then why can't an undamaged Chicago redistribute some of its population elsewhere?)
I've not read the book, but weren't some of the meteors supposed to have hit the American Midwest. If even one of them strikes Chicago (which one does in my map), then its going to be trashed.
Also I think France gets a bit of a crap deal that only 100k of their people (mixed in with Italians and Spaniards) escape to NA while over three million British citizens make it across to India, Australia, and S. Africa. Granted France probably lost a lot of shipping and population as the mega-tsunami covered parts of Atlantic France but the Med. basin should have been rather protected and from Marseilles and other Med. ports been able to evacuate a lot of population to N. Africa as it is a much shorter journey from there than from England to India. Not to mention Italy has a lot of ships that could move their people to Sicily and southward if needs be.
That's true...
And I'm not sure why Britain (er...the Raj) has such a hold on North America. It just doesn't seem right that if the US loses the Great Lakes region and even more northern (and likely even just as devastated) Canada would thrive and grow... :confused:

Whoever said that it was Canada... ;) That's due to Angrezi recolonialisation.

I've not read the book, but weren't some of the meteors supposed to have hit the American Midwest. If even one of them strikes Chicago (which one does in my map), then its going to be trashed.
That's true...

Whoever said that it was Canada... ;) That's due to Angrezi recolonialisation.

I have read the book and I know a vague reference (IIRC) about part of the object hitting North America was made but it wasn't really clear where. Many people just assume since the US is absent that it must have hit somewhere in the Midwest.

I assumed as much about 'Canada' but wouldn't have been easier to start recolonizing NA say in New Orleans and work your way up the Mississippi? Warmer climate, etc.

I have read the book and I know a vague reference (IIRC) about part of the object hitting North America was made but it wasn't really clear where. Many people just assume since the US is absent that it must have hit somewhere in the Midwest.

I assumed as much about 'Canada' but wouldn't have been easier to start recolonizing NA say in New Orleans and work your way up the Mississippi? Warmer climate, etc.

There is that... but the US was in the way... :D