Desiderius is pretty bold for a jumped-up pretender, he's pretty much saying he's lord of Europe here, even through he only owns Italy (and not even all of Italy) and a bit of Southern Gaul. At least Charlemagne owned pretty a big chunk of the former western empire, and even more territory: Gaul + Germany + part of Italy.

Carthage doesn't seem like a conquest that will last, not without Sicily.

How are things on the linguistic front in Italy?

Desiderius is pretty bold for a jumped-up pretender, he's pretty much saying he's lord of Europe here, even through he only owns Italy (and not even all of Italy) and a bit of Southern Gaul. At least Charlemagne owned pretty a big chunk of the former western empire, and even more territory: Gaul + Germany + part of Italy.

Carthage doesn't seem like a conquest that will last, not without Sicily.

How are things on the linguistic front in Italy?

Like I said. Ambitious to the point of egomania. Carthage is a pretty shaky conquest, which is especially worrying as that was half the justification for the translatio imperii. Desiderius is getting up there in years though, so we'll have to see if Adelchis can really make his title stick or if it's just a bump in the road. As for the linguistic front, Latin is being used alongside the traditional Lombard language. Not too different from OTL at this point, though Latin has the imperial favor going for it.

So Italy remains the center of the Europe for some time?

What happened to the Roman nobility? Historically, they had cockroach level of resilience, always popping back up, but some of it was due to the distance between Rome and the Empire. Rome and surrounding territories still ended up being mostly autonomous, even from the Pope.

Did the Lombard integrate them into their nobility and take them in their senate? Since they seem to meet in Rome and use it as a government center, I doubt they can afford to let them keep their autonomy. it's either integrate or clean up. Working with the old Roman nobility would probably help give them Western Roman characteristics and marrying into it could increase the legitimacy of their nobility.

Very interesting timeline here, with less centralization in Europe. Let's see if Widukind has what it takes to take lands from the Christians, or if he'll just fizzle out. Iberia is also a very interesting hotspot: how long can this alliance last, especially with a new third faction to the north?

So Italy remains the center of the Europe for some time?

What happened to the Roman nobility? Historically, they had cockroach level of resilience, always popping back up, but some of it was due to the distance between Rome and the Empire. Rome and surrounding territories still ended up being mostly autonomous, even from the Pope.

Did the Lombard integrate them into their nobility and take them in their senate? Since they seem to meet in Rome and use it as a government center, I doubt they can afford to let them keep their autonomy. it's either integrate or clean up. Working with the old Roman nobility would probably help give them Western Roman characteristics and marrying into it could increase the legitimacy of their nobility.

That is what happened essentially. The Lombards at the expense of losing their native language more or less assimilated the Roman aristocracy (and in turn made a trend of Lombardic names becoming common amongst the nobility, and Roman names being associated with the peasantry).

Part 7: The Graveyard of Giants
Francia had fallen far in the five decades since Martel's death. Where the Franks had once ruled over numerous kingdoms and exacted tribute from every corner of Europe, they now fought to keep their core homelands from falling to the Saxon invaders. Widukind's invasion tore through the countryside, turning the lands of Francia into a scorched and plundered battlefield. Farms lay deserted, villages abandoned as the populace fled from the invaders. By the spring of 781 nearly a quarter of Frankish land had been essentially ceded to Widukind's armies as the Franks desperately tried to rally their forces. In the fall of that same year a large Saxon army under the command of Widukind's eldest son Theodoric besieged Paris. For almost a month the city of Paris was surrounded on all sides by pagan forces, while the river that had once ferried trade to and from the city was blocked with Norse and Frisian longboats. In November a Frankish army lead by Majordomo Thierry's son Guillaume, accompanied by the Breton king Judoc and his own forces, attacked the pagans and attempted to relieve Paris of its siege. The assault created enough confusion that a small force under the command of Odo of Vexin was able to slip past the Saxons and evacuate the royal family, as well as several of the lesser nobles, soldiers, priests and freemen who had been praying for rescue. The battle was also successful in thinning out the naval forces of the invaders. Galleys had been brought from the south and set alight in the Seine to act as fireships, causing a good portion of the Frisian ships to go down in flames, while many others were forced to beach themselves upon the shores for Frankish warriors to ride in and slaughter. However, it was not enough to save the city. Though Guillaume was willing to fight to the last man, rumors of Widukind's arrival and a new army of Saxons coming from the west caused a stir among the Christian armies. At the urging of Judoc, Odo and Dagobert, Guillaume agreed to a strategic retreat. With the nobility of Neustria withdrawn to safer lands in the south, the north was surrendered. Things were indeed looking bleak for the Franks.

While the Franks fought desperately against the pagan invaders, a different invasion was beginning in the south. Leaving the Syrian Junds in control of the north, and under the nominal command of his ally al-Sumayl ibn Hatim al-Kilabi, Abd al-Rahman embarked on his long desired mission to retake the Caliphate from the Abbasids. Abd al-Rahman's fleet departed al-Andalus in the spring of 781, conquering towns along the coast of the Rustamid Emirate along the way. By the winter of 782 the army had arrived in Ifriqiya, where the Abbasids had recently launched a campaign to retake North Africa from the Muhallabids, who were seen in Baghdad as rebellious governors rather than independent rulers. Abd al-Rahman agreed to assist the Muhallabids in exchange for their help taking Damascus, a proposal to which the emir readily agreed.

M782+.png

Europe on the eve of the Battle of Yonne, summer 783

In the winter of 782, the Frankish court had been evacuated to Autun. With Widukind's armies threatening the south, emissaries were sent to the Occitans, Bretons, Bavarians, Lombards and even the Akituniyyans, requesting their assistance in defeating Widukind and pushing back the heathen host. Promises of gold, land and royal daughters were made by the Frankish diplomats. In a rare show of solidarity, both the Bavarian and Roman pope, each of whom had supporters amongst the Frankish nobles, voiced support for the emissaries.

Thus the alliance that would come to be known as the Holy League came to be. Frankish, Breton, Occitan, Bavarian and Lombard armies converged in Burgundy. The Saxons had recently broken through to the south of Francia and were threatening to plunder the whole Frankish nation if left unchecked. However, Widukind's dream of subjugating Gaul under the Saxon yoke was to meet stiff resistance at the Battle of Yonne.

The 783 Battle of Yonne occurred a little over five decades after the Battle of Tours had so greatly remade Europe. Much like its predecessor, the Battle of Yonne would have repercussions that would echo through the centuries. Yonne would eventually overshadow Tours in the popular consciousness, immortalized in song, poem and art. And it was not without good reason. Perhaps not since the Battle of the Catalaunian Plains had so many of Europe's most influential rulers and warriors met on the battlefield. Widukind's armies, and those of his sons, had gathered to attack Autun, hoping to conquer Gaul by the year's end. The Saxon army was met by the Holy Alliance's armies at the Yonne river, in what would go down as one of the greatest battles in European history. After two days of fighting, Widukind was slain in combat, and the Saxons withdrew in retreat, their army shattered. The river was red with blood. Pagan corpse fires lined the bank while the dying and wounded crawled on the battlefield. The day had been won by the Holy Alliance, but at great cost. Among the dead of the pagan host were Widukind, Harald of Denmark, Udolf the Patient, and Witzlaus of the Obotrites. Among the deceased of the Holy Alliance were King Dagobert IV, who had attempted to regain some semblance of royal power and respect by leading his own troops. The casualties also included Thierry of Autun and Carloman of Burgundy. Though Yonne was a destructive battle, where the dead were said to outnumber the living by the end, it was a battle that ended in victory. Or at least it seemed so at first.

In truth Yonne was more of a phyrric victory than a true victory. In the sagas and song the battle would be described as the last stand of the great heroes of old. The end of an era, a turning point. And that is essentially what it was. Some of the effects were immediate. With Widukind dead his invasion collapsed. The Saxons were pushed back somewhat by the Franks and especially by the Bavarians, who fueled their reconquest with the gold given by Thierry to assist in the Franks' war. At the same time Widukind's empire was divided between his three sons- Rechimund, Wichimann and Theoderic. Rechimund and Wichimann each took areas of the old Saxon tribal lands, with Rechimund receiving Westphalia and Wichimann Eastphalia. Theoderic meanwhile, mainly took over the lands that had been conquered by his father. The area, referred to in contemporary records as Theodoringia, stretched over much of eastern Francia, with Wuchodol and Frisia paying tribute to Theoderic as its king.

Widukind had met his death at the Battle of Yonne, and with him died the dream of a pagan conquest of Gaul. But what was still alive were many of the pagan warriors who had accompanied his mission, and who still sought treasure and glory in the west. Large bands of Norse raiders took to the sea and sought their fortunes in Britain. Among them some sought their own fortunes and attacked the Picts and Northumbrians, carving out their own domains in Jorvik and Fortirland. Others joined the Frisians in the south. At the time southern Britain was ruled by Udolf's brother Wulf, who had been ordered to remain on the defensive while Udolf assisted in Widukind's war. With his brother dead, Wulf took full control of the Frisian armies in Britain and embarked on a rampage of conquest against Wessex, Cornwall and Mercia. Wulf was a great warrior, but not a good diplomat, nor a family man. After a dispute with his brother Gundebold over the amount of tribute to be kept in Britain and the amount to be sent to Frisia proper, Wulf declared himself an independent king of Fryskenland.

However, not all of the Germanic attacks were against Britain. A large army led by Harald's son Grimr, who had nothing in Denmark to inherit, launched their own attack on Francia in 784. Known as the Bastards' War for the large number of illegitimate or otherwise inheritance-less men who made up Grimr's army, the Franks and Saxons were both forced out of Neustria, where Grimr established his own domain known as Seineland. Still other Germanic warriors offered their services to the former Holy Alliance members as mercenaries, especially Aquitaine and Lombardy who were both planning new conquests of their own.

The pagans found themselves divided after the Battle of Yonne, but the Franks soon found that they fared little better. Dagobert had died without an adult heir, and Thierry's demise had left the Majordomo position empty at the same time. The blood had hardly dried in Yonne before the Franks were one again at each others' throats. Francia was dead, and the period of Frankish Warring States had begun. The major players in Francia acted fast to try to secure their position. Several of them spirited away one or more of Dagobert's children, who had been previously taken to the borders of the kingdom to protect the Merovingian dynasty in the event that the Saxons should overrun the Franks. Other nobles, unable to get a hold of a verified claimant, produced newly discovered Merovingians of... questionable authenticity. Involvement in the conflict was not limited to the Frankish nobles either. Judoc of Brittany, having taken western Neustria for himself, had also abducted two of Dagobert's children during the 'Scattering of the Heirs'. The infant prince Eberulf and the young princess Joveta were captives in Naoned (modern Nantes), with Judoc claiming that he should have the authority of Majordomo. Another major player in the conflict was the Duchy of Autun. Led by Thierry's son Guillaume and possessing the eldest son of Dagobert Clovis, Autun seemed to have the greatest legitimacy in its claims. However, Autun held little land on its own, and was surrounded by stronger powers. If it were to succeed it would have to be on Guillaume's own cunning and strength. North of Autun was Odo of Vexin, who had been the second noble after Guillaume to claim the majordomate. Though widely seen as an upstart with a fake king, Odo nevertheless held the most land and men of any of the splinter states. In the west Anjou and Maine struggled against each other and the Bretons, each with their own child king. Aquitaine, despite its nearness to the conflict, nevertheless remained neutral, more concerned about reclaiming Akituniyya than ruling over the Franks with whom they still had an icy relationship. The Western Romans, though they expanded into the south of Gaul to reunify their Burgundian vassals, were likewise unconcerned with going further or taking part in that particular dynastic struggle. With limited manpower Desiderius and Adelchis had to pick their battles carefully, and to them there were more important fronts than Gaul. Finally, Bavaria was more concerned with reconquest and punitive expeditions against the Saxons, though they did harbor a Merovingian of their own in the form of prince Childeric.

On the other end of the Mediterranean, the Andalusian expedition had successfully assisted the Muhallabids in their defense against the Abbasids. At the same time the Western Roman army, which was stretched thin as it was, was left vulnerable by the death of the local commander, allowing the Ifriqiyans to retake Tunis and Carthage. When the survivors of the garrison returned to Italy, they found their emperor dead. After 75 years on earth Desiderius passed away in 785. Adelchis was anointed by Pope Dioscorus and given the Iron Crown by Grimoald, the duke of Benevento and Consul of the Senate. The loss of Carthage had been a shock, but it was not an issue on which Adelchis could afford to mourn. There was work to be done, and new opportunities to be taken advantage of. Opportunities such as the rebellion of Tarasios, whose followers had taken effective control of Sicily. The Eastern Roman navy had the island blockaded, but fireships made them wary of launching an amphibious assault.
M783+.png
Europe and the Mediterranean, Summer 786

And so the cycle of empires rising and falling continued. The war against Widukind was won, but the Franks had been divided more than ever, and Theoderic and his allies still controlled eastern Gaul. The Western Romans had proven their mettle in Yonne, but had simultaneously lost their African holdings. Widukind may have died, but his legacy would live on in the raiders unleashed on Europe's Atlantic coast. The age of the Vikings was only beginning, while in the south the aged Abd al-Rahman continued his warpath with assaults on Barca. And at the center of the Mediterranean sat the two Roman empires, whose futures were yet to be written.

Up Next: The Falcon's Fate

Well, I finally made an actual advancement to the timeline! I have some ideas for future updates, but the update schedule is going to have to take a back seat to my school work again for the next few months. I'll try to be better about it than last semester though. I hope you all enjoyed this entry, please leave any comments, critiques, ideas or suggestions!

Fun fact, both Guillaume of Autun and Tarasios existed IOTL, but their fates were radically different. As the timeline continues you will see fewer and fewer OTL figures due to butterflies. Basically nobody born after 800 in the regions thus far mapped will exist.

Last edited:
Well, now that we have sucessfully erased ourselves from this world, things only will get more interesting, I'm very curious about the future actions of Widukind's sons (also am I the only one who hopes Akituniyya stays around, even though it's almost impossible?)

Well, now that we have sucessfully erased ourselves from this world, things only will get more interesting, I'm very curious about the future actions of Widukind's sons (also am I the only one who hopes Akituniyya stays around, even though it's almost impossible?)

Oh, you'll definitely be seeing developments in Akituniyya and the southern france region. Part of it is going to be due to the fact that Lupo (ruler of the Occitans) is just not a good king.

Man, nothing soothes the soul like a balkanized France.

What's going on with the Slavs, by the way? I noticed Dragovit and his host mentioned in the extract of Widukind's saga a couple pages back, and obviously Moravia is on the map in a serious way, but I'm curious what the level of state formation is among the Polans and proto-Rus' off in the east. Are the Varangian expeditions and Byzantine missions (or their equivalents) still going on, or have butterflies started to flap east of the Oder?

Anyway, excellent work and I look forward to the upcoming Roman rumble.

Huh, I don't think I've ever seen a TL where the Umayyads try to take back their old lands. I can't see it going well for Abd Al-Rahman, so far from his new home, but it's bound to be interesting.

You could say that balkanized France is undergoing somesort of...
Play of Palaces?
A Match of Majordomos?
Gamble of Gentries?
Sport of Suzerains?

Desiderus and family be like "No one mind us, we will just help ourselves to a bit more of Gaul. Fair price, you understand..."

I bet Desiderus wished he was young enough to fight against the Saxons and show them who their Emperor is!

Let's hope the Ummayads win, and weaken the Caliphate so the ERE can finally put the world right as it should be and make those Lombard pretenders eat their worlds. "You call yourself empire? That's cute".

Bavaria is getting huge. If I was Aldechis, I would find a way to ally with them, then split off land - Gaul is the WRE's, Bavaria can have all of Germany and to the west too.

Bavaria is getting huge. If I was Aldechis, I would find a way to ally with them, then split off land - Gaul is the WRE's, Bavaria can have all of Germany and to the west too.

That would probably require the Bavarians and Lombards to come to terms on their schism, which probably won't be happening anytime soon.

What's going on with the Slavs, by the way? I noticed Dragovit and his host mentioned in the extract of Widukind's saga a couple pages back, and obviously Moravia is on the map in a serious way, but I'm curious what the level of state formation is among the Polans and proto-Rus' off in the east. Are the Varangian expeditions and Byzantine missions (or their equivalents) still going on, or have butterflies started to flap east of the Oder?

The Viking age is just beginning, and is mostly focused on the Atlantic at the moment. Once the easily conquered areas to the west are conquered I'd expect that the vikings will start heading east. The Slavs are still in very tribal proto-states for now.

Last edited:
I meant regarding written language though Akituniyya is definitely unique. A Berber state all the way there? What a fun map!
Ah. I suppose that they'd be using a mixture of Arabic and Latin much like al-Andalus did IOTL. For Akituniyya maybe some African Romance as well.

The Chronicles: Anthropology 786
I've had a lot of people asking about religions and languages, so I'm going to just give quick rundown of those here. Since there are a lot of languages and I'm fairly sure you all know what Latin and Vulgar Latin are, I'll only be touching on languages that I feel need explanation or (in the future) that re just straight up inventions for the timeline.

Religions

Official Religions 785.png

The religions of the polities of Europe and the Mediterranean in 786. The map shows only the religion of the elites and the government, not of the population at large.

Latin Christianity: Lead by the Pope in Rome, Latin Christianity claims to be the truest branch of the faith, a universal, or 'catholic' church. The Pope is theoretically the leader of all followers of the Latin Church, but the faith is fairly autocephalous with the Pope being no more than the 'First Among Equals'. This position is enforced by the emperor and his Roman garrisons who ensure that the Bishop of Rome doesn't regain the territorial ambitions of his predecessors. In addition to the Western Roman Empire, many of the Frankish dukes, as well as all post war Majordomos, followed the Latin church, both to refute the Papal influence that had backed the Peppinids during their domination of Francia and to continue the Merovingian tradition of secularly appointed bishops. The Bretons were the third group that followed the Latin Church at this time, due in part to their close ties to Frankish merchants and raids into Francia. The liturgical language of the Latin Church is, obviously, Latin.

Bavarian Christianity: Bavarian, or 'Germanic' Christianity, is lead by the Pope in Regensburg, who claims to be the true Pope. Whereas the Latin church had limited influence on the government and was more at the whims of the urban nobility of the empire, the Bavarian church was both highly active and highly influential in the internal affairs of the Kingdom of Bavaria. While both churches theoretically held the power of investiture the Bavarians exercised it with far less restraint than their Latin counterparts. In addition to Bavaria the Germanic church was the faith of choice for all Anglo-Saxon polities due in part to Saint Boniface's role in shaping the church. With the backing of the Anglo-Saxons' most famous theologian the church flourished in England. The liturgical language is Latin.

Celtic Christianity: Though the Anglo-Saxons had rejoined Rome in the seventh century and had used the Roman date for easter for decades, the rest of the British isles did not. The Celtic church lacks a religious head, and it varies from realm to realm which Pope is followed. The liturgical language is Latin.

Kharijite Islam: Kharijites are an Islamic sect popular among the Berbers that, among other things, rejects the notion of Caliphs. The three Kharijite polities at the time are the Rustamids, the Ziyaduns and Sijilmasa. It remains to be seen if they have true staying power or if they are nothing more than a blip on the radar.

Sunni Islam: By far the largest sect of Islam, Sunni rushed fourth from the Middle East in the past two centuries and spread through conquest and conversion into North Africa and Iberia. At one point it was threatened in Europe by rebellion and invasion but Abd al-Rahman's conquest of Iberia solidified its position- for now.

Iconoclast Christianity: Lead by the Patriarch of Constantinople, the Iconoclasts reject icons of all kinds. They are autocephalous. Although they are really only found within the Eastern Roman Empire and its former territories, a large portion of the population of the ERE follows this branch of Christianity.

Iconodule Christianity: In all ways but one Iconodule Christianity is identitcal to Iconoclasm. However, this small difference has caused thousands of deaths and flared into a full blown rebellion of Sicily. Due to its persecution and the deportation of its priests the once mighty bulwark of Iconodule Christianity is quickly fading in the ERE. However Tarasios' rebellious state in Sicily is enforcing their iconodulic beliefs with equal fervor on their own populace.

Paganism: The various faiths in the traditional gods that make up the various pagan deities had once been fading in Western Europe. But with Widukind's War and the Viking Age beginning, the new wave of invaders brought their old gods with them. Though they are unlikely to remain forever, their era has not yet passed.

Languages
Official Languages 786.png
The languages of Europe and the Mediterranean, 786. This map shows only the languages used by the elites and the government.

Languages 786.png

The Languages of Europe and the Mediterranean in 786. This map shows only the languages used by a majority of the region's inhabitants.

Frankish: A west Germanic tongue used by the now fallen Frankish kingdom. Although Francia may be dead its linguistic legacy remains. It once stretched from the Seine to beyond the Rhine, but the fall of western Saxony to the Saxons during the Frankish Civil War in the 730s resulted in most of the Frankish inhabitants fleeing west to for protection.

Saxon: One of the largest West Germanic tongues at the moment, due in no small part to Widukind's conquests. It is used by the native Saxons in their homeland, and by the invaders in Theodoringia, though past the Rhine it hasn't made much impact.

Allemanic: The language of the Bavarians. Although the Bavarian Church preaches to its followers mainly in Latin, in the more provincial areas Allemanic prayers are found.

Polabian: A West Slavic tongue found on the Elbe river and Baltic sea. A large number of Obotrites and Rani followed Widukind's invasion of Francia and settled in Wuchodol (OTL Lorraine), bringing their Polabian language with them.

Bulgarian and Avar: Despite the two eponymous ethnic groups being Turkic in their origins, the Turkic varieties of both languages fell out of favor about a century before the PoD and were replaced by the Slavic languages we know today.

Lombard: A variety of Vulgar Latin that was distinct enough to be considered a separate tongue. It was used by the pre-imperial Lombard kings and still remains popular among the nobility, but Desiderius had been attempting to shift the court back to Latin and Adelchis continues his father's efforts with records being made in both languages.

I think that about covers it. If there are any other questions feel free to ask!

The Chronicles: The Fate of the Pepinids
During the Frankish Civil War, the Frankish nobility was split into two groups. There were those who had been loyal to the Merovingian kings and their representative Majordomo Dagobert. On the other side were the defeated forces of Pepin, son of Charles Martel. But ultimately the war would not be kind to the Pepinids or their followers. After their defeat at the Battle of Besontion it became clear that the Merovingian loyalists were destined to triumph. Spurred on by his victory, Dagobert organized a purge of Pepin's followers within Merovingian territory. The lucky ones were stripped of their lands and sent to monasteries, where they would live out the rest of their lives in anonymity. The less fortunate lost their heads as well as their titles. Fearing that the same fate awaited them if they were to fall into Dagobert's hands, Pepin and his followers fled Francia. Their lands were seized and redistributed between the victorious families, but Pepin did manage to escape alive. Alongside Pepin were a handful of still loyal nobles, including his uncle Childebrand and his cousin Nibelung, who would go on to serve as the court historian of the revived Western Roman Empire. By 736 Pepin and his forces had arrived at Liutbrand's court in Pavia. Here Pepin offered Liutbrand his service and command of his men in return for sanctuary from the Frankish nobles. In truth Pepin ultimately hoped to use the Lombard armies to retake his position as Majordomo of Francia- a plan which Liutbrand was more than willing to entertain. Unfortunately for Pepin, Liutbrand died later the same year while besieging Ravenna, throwing the Lombard kingdom into a civil war. Pepin and his followers assisted their liege's successor Hileprand in his war against Thrasimund and Ratchis. Pepin tried to use the victories of his men to pressure Hildeprand into supporting an attack on the Franks, but unlike Liutbrand, Hildeprand was uninterested in foreign adventures- not when the Roman exarchates were closer and easier targets. Hildeprand did however grant the Franks the right to settle within the cities of Lombardy, especially those taken from the rebellious dukes, and to join the Lombard nobility. With no other options, Pepin begrudgingly acquiesced to the proposal. He would go on to serve Hildeprand and Desiderius during their wars against the exarchs and the Pope, until his passing in 767. His sons Carl and Carloman continued to serve as bit players in the Western Roman court, and within another generation the Pepinid dynasty had been fully 'Lombardized', with nothing but an interesting family history to distinguish them from their peers.

(So I guess the whole 'Timeline without Charlemagne' thing isn't quite accurate anymore, is it? Still, I couldn't resist the irony of having Charlemagne end up as the obedient servant of the man whose kingdom he destroyed IOTL)