The origin of "worlda"

Discussion in 'Help and Rules' started by SuperZtar64, May 16, 2018.

1. SuperZtar64 Lord Protector of the New Commonwealth

Cathedral of Christ, Boston, New Commonwealth
    Having been on this site for well over a year I have become well acquainted with the standard method of detailing geographical information on a world map- the Worlda.
    Blank world.png
    But I have always wondered... what is the origin of the term?

Redcoat likes this.
  2. Burton K Wheeler l'état profond, c'est moi Moderator

It’s been around since 2006 at least. I think Diamond, who left this site in 2007, was behind the very first ones. I would guess that the original base map was “worlda.png” or something like that.

Petike likes this.
  3. EternalDawn Dictator

Yeah, it was probably how one of the first guys who made maps named it, and it just stuck.
    Probably the detailed map was named worldb or something like that.

4. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

Clockpunk Zemplín Kingdom / Franz Josef's Land
    Whenever I've asked the map-maker members, they have been strangely evasive about the origin of the term. It's like some hallowed part of AH.com's origin myth. A secret from the cartographic inner sanctum that you do not question - "it has always been thus". :D :p

Joking aside, as Burton above notes, it was probably "worlda.png" or "WorldA.png" or "World_a.png". Just a file name, and there were no doubt worldb and worldc png-s, or they were planned. Worlda took off as a basemap, and people kept using the term out of sheer momentum.

At least that's how I've always speculated about it, too. I suppose in some AH.com ATL, we might have had an world1.png instead of a worlda.png. Not that big a difference in spirit.

The-Artist-64 and Redcoat like this.
  5. Pkmatrix Godzilla Fanboy Monthly Donor

As the others have said, it seems to have evolved from the filename for the original basemap created by @Diamond. After a quick dive through the Wiki, I believe it may have been this map, a.gif:

[​IMG]

Redcoat likes this.
  6. Burton K Wheeler l'état profond, c'est moi Moderator

hahaha, I knew mapmaking was not as good 15 years ago as it is today, but a square projection gif being the Gold Standard of mapmaking was a detail I'd forgotten.

The-Artist-64 and Redcoat like this.