The Official "What was that TL called ?" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Alternate History Books and Media' started by Petike, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

Clockpunk Zemplín Kingdom / Franz Josef's Land
    This is a core thread that we'll use whenever we vaguely remember a certain TL or who wrote it, but can't actually remember the TL's name or where on the board its located. If you are in this kind of predicament, feel free to ask here.

OK, I'll start :

I remember a timeline by one of our Australian members, in which a more traumatic WWI experience for the ANZAC troops leads to interwar Australia gradually becoming more and more authoritarian. I think this TL was called "Southern Star" or "Star of the South" or something.

frustrated progressive and Zagan like this.
  2. Spengler Free AG! Banned

3. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

Erm, so... Can no one remember that Aussie TL ?

4. Thande Ricky Carlson / David Alameel '20 Donor

The problem is that your description fits a lot of Australian TLs that were hosted either on this site or on ChangingTheTimes.net--there was at least one Aussie member who was obsessed with the idea of a more militarised Australia going to war with Indonesia. I remember one TL on CTT of this type which had a failed alien invasion that happened within in one paragraph and then was never mentioned again, it was marvellously surreal :D

5. Shaby Sontaran

Flagship "Undefeatable" of the Battlefleet Ib
    'Missiles, Spies, and plutonium piles'. Or something to that effect. The alien invasion part was later made into extended United Federation of Planets timelines, wher Earth defeats Blugriss or something, than dismantles their slave empire. Found it.

6. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

*facepalms* :eek:

It was right there at the start of the list of "Early 20th century TLs". Aurora Australis is the name. And they probably didn't go authoritarian, just isolationist-nationalist or something. :eek:

Well, but the thread is here and anyone can ask about forgotten TL names if he/she wants to. :)

7. Evan Life, Liberty, and Pursuit of Happiness!

Quiet Resistance, People's Republic of Cascadia
    (Bump)

I've been looking for a timeline from the last couple years which has the South winning the Civil War and then collapsing a decade or two later to a US invasion which spurs humongous slave revolts across the country. Does anyone remember that?

8. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

Hi, Evan.

Wasn't it one of the late Robertp6165's timelines ?

"The CSA from the Black and the Grey are ISOTed..." or something like that. If it is that one, it does have a page on the wiki, plus a link.

9. Grey Wolf Writer, Poet, Publisher, Cat-sitter

I know I also did it in one of mine once, had an Australia ally with the Germans

Best Regards
    Grey Wolf

10. Evan Life, Liberty, and Pursuit of Happiness!

Quiet Resistance, People's Republic of Cascadia
    No, it definitely wasn't by him. There were a lot of comments praising how the TL author had pointed out the weaknesses in the CSA's structure which would inevitably lead it to quick collapse.

11. Baconheimer Berserker of Chaos

Former Confederate Republic of Virginia (FCROV)
    So there was a TL in which Hitler was in the hospital in WW1 from a war injury, and had a dream of the future (without him) in which the british monarch was killed at his coronation around 2020. At the end hitler was scared.

12. Mackon Well-Known Member

Timeline had Chinese colonizing California later dome time slightly after Christopher Columbus was doing his thing in Central America. They introduced a crude form of immunization. Later on the Chinese were joined by groups of Koreans and Japanese expats. I don't know if the timeline was continued after I lost track of it but when I last read the Californian colony was just starting to seriously butt heads with the Spanish.

Ring any bells for anybody? Links appreciated :)

Petike likes this.
  13. Codae Well-Known Member

Ming of the West, Koxinga Goes East?

Mackon and Petike like this.
  14. Mackon Well-Known Member

Petike likes this.
  15. Nick P Donor

What was the one with Napoleonic warships being put back into service during WW2 to counter the trade raiders in the Indian Ocean and other parts?

Given that we had a dozen or more of these wooden walls still sitting around the UK, it caught my attention.

Petike likes this.
  16. Machiavelli Jr Member

That would be "A Whiff of Powder" which is one of the subsidiary stories in 'France Fights On / APOD' (basically, the French government escapes the fall of France in 1940, evacuates to NA and keeps fighting. The British do rather a lot better in WW2 including some implausible but deeply satisfying naval shenanigans). Link here https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/francefightson/collated-whiff-of-powder-t1331.html

Nick P likes this.
  17. Levi Fox Autocrat of the Americas and villiage idiot

Alone at the edge of a universe, humming a tune
    What was the TL with Massachusetts rebelling in the late 1700s, and George Washington becomes a dictator?

18. Noscoper Well-Known Member

What was the timeline with a surviving imperial Japan in control of Korea, Taiwan and Manchuria . It had Japan not launch the second Sino - Japanese war and had the Philippines get independence from Spain

19. Luath Keeping the RetroFuture alive.

This is a weird one, I remember this 'Atheist America' TL, what sticks out is that they had developed hand held laser weapons

20. unclepatrick Well-Known Member

I remember a time line that had Robert Kennedy survive in 1968 and get elected President in 1976.
    Does anyone know the title or the Author?