• Other.

Votes: 22 14.0%

• Total voters
Titanic Question:

If the orders had been:
Hard a starboard
Port propeller full ahead
Starboard propeller full astern
Would the ship have swung enough to clear the iceberg or opened less compartments?

If not what sort of orders might have opened less compartments or missed the iceberg completely please?
Without time travellers fore knowledge or smashing head long into the iceberg (not an option).
Murdoch really didn't have time to think about such nuances. The iceberg was there, he acted, and it almost worked.

Interesting, Captain Smith and George Bowyer did push New York away from its collision course by creating a wash with the port propeller.
I've considered it myself, if they had more time maybe, but they'd have to pull that off, have it take effect and then reverse the entire process (to swing the stern out). Overall its more steps added into a very short timeframe.
Slowing the ship earlier in the night as ice warnings came in probably would've been the best bet, maybe binoculars if you want to go the more well known point, give them 10 seconds more time to react and she probably could've cleared the berg or at least not been mortally wounded.
An iceberg of around 200,000 tons isn't going to be doing much moving other than by the current itself..
Given how things went that night, I honestly don't think they would've been able to get out more given how quick they got 18 boats lowered during the OTL sinking (remember the two collapsibles near funnel 1 were never launched)

My great thing is.... what if Boiler Room 1 was lit as well... how would that effect the power in the long run. The lights staying on until the very end always mystifies me, so seeing how that would play out would be very interesting to see, especially for survivors in the boats.
That is probably one of the more interesting facts about the sinking, though they could've stopped earlier and begun the evacuation earlier.
Either way many more lives could've been saved as is if the boats had been launched at capacity, but thats another story.

In other news theres been a bit of a change up with the Titanic Honour and Glory stuff..

In other news theres been a bit of a change up with the Titanic Honour and Glory stuff.
Ah yes, I've was privy to this before a lot of this got out as I was a moderator on the original discord. Needless to say, I believe it is a damn good step in the right direction and I honestly can't wait for what is to come, now that radio silence is effectively over.

Ah yes, I've was privy to this before a lot of this got out as I was a moderator on the original discord. Needless to say, I believe it is a damn good step in the right direction and I honestly can't wait for what is to come, now that radio silence is effectively over.

Could you break down the news please?

Could you break down the news please?
Main things:
* Tom is gone
* The asinine murder mystery and impossible promises (Southampton, 2,200+ NPCs, real-time sinking with said NPCs) are gone
* The focus is on recreating the Titanic and getting it out there
* A free alpha will be released in Q4 of this year. It will be the forecastle. Chunks will be released each month. All of B Deck will be the free alpha; after that you can pay to get monthly updates (I think it's $10 a month or so)
* There will be information boxes with data, info, survivor's testimony, and other tidbits.
* There will be collectibles to encourage exploration and replay
* Bi-weekly streams that explore an aspect of the project

Those are the big things.

I was on the discord too, and I have to agree, overall its a much more realistic outlook on what they can hope to achieve.
Things had been getting very toxic, and I thought it would've been a terrible shame for a project which had already achieved a great deal to come apart and fall into obscurity.
Project now looks like it has a solid future.
Last time i went on the QM (2019) things were in bad shape, 150 to get on and access to very little, things didn't look well maintained, getting onto the forecastle involved a door that nearly came off its hinges when being opened. Skimping on maintanence is the biggest false economy ever, repairs were at 60m, a number that pales in comparison to the current estimated cost.

Skimping on maintanence is the biggest false economy ever
tumblr_l9s0oylfm21qz4w1go1_400.png

I wonder if the City of Long Beach ever regret not allowing Disney to build Port Disney and take over the Queen Mary?

Hello,

If anyone wants to find out more about ocean liners, rather than cruise ships, there is a book I use as a valuable reference...

Also, if there are fans of the TV series "The Love Boat," there is an epilogue to the actual ship Pacific Princess...

Last time i went on the QM (2019) things were in bad shape, 150 to get on and access to very little, things didn't look well maintained, getting onto the forecastle involved a door that nearly came off its hinges when being opened. Skimping on maintanence is the biggest false economy ever, repairs were at 60m, a number that pales in comparison to the current estimated cost.
Good grief, if that's how bad things have gotten, I'd hate to think how the Olympic would be like as a museum ship nowadays.

Impact question- Titanic only opens 5 compartments - boiler room 5 is untouched in this case:

Is the sinking still invertible?

How much extra time does a 5 compartment flood buy?

If you add in frotting, pumps etc how much more does that add as well?

Last edited:
Impact question- Titanic only opens 5 compartments - boiler room 5 is untouched in this case:

Is the sinking still invertible?

How much extra time does a 5 compartment flood buy?

If you add in frotting, pumps etc how much more does that add as well?
Titanic still sinks. Five compartments was just too much.

Ah, the Big U. Dad sailed on her but he didn't remember anything. Still skeptical those plans about taking her to New York will ever happen.

Titanic still sinks. Five compartments was just too much.

Ah, the Big U. Dad sailed on her but he didn't remember anything. Still skeptical those plans about taking her to New York will ever happen.
I'd say have the Federal Government restore her completely and use her as a good-will ship, but that would never happen.

So whatever reason (not wanting to arrive Tues night, SI, ASB) Captain Smith orders Titanic down to 20knots about 10pm on that Sunday.

What effect would her slower speed have had on the collision? How much extra time would that give the helm or indeed lookouts before to avoid the berg or change the impact?

Paging @Resurgam

Last edited:
If the Titanic changes speed it and the iceberg won't be in the same place at the same time.
Ergo, no collision at all.
Well ship will still run into the ice field ahead of them so Titanic might miss 'The' iceberg, but still has a chance of hitting another in similar circumstances.