The Official HOI4 Mods and Discussion Thread

CBTS seems to be out, which caught me by surprise.
For those who like me didn't download it before it was taken down - CBTS is back on Steam.

So what's the verdict on CBTS? I'm aware that there's been a lot of complaining both here and on SB about its historical accuracy - namely, accusations of revisionism and centrist bias - but with the mod itself now released, has the situation improved much since then? Particularly in regards to the Soviet Union, as much of the complaints were in regards to the anti-communist streak the devs seemed to have.

So what's the verdict on CBTS? I'm aware that there's been a lot of complaining both here and on SB about its historical accuracy - namely, accusations of revisionism and centrist bias - but with the mod itself now released, has the situation improved much since then? Particularly in regards to the Soviet Union, as much of the complaints were in regards to the anti-communist streak the devs seemed to have.
I've only played a couple hours as Spain thus far so I can't say much about the Soviet Union. Not that I care much about the bickering of different keyboard crusaders and revolutionaries who think that they will save the world by criticizing a video game mod.

Thus, I can only comment on the technical aspect of the mod and overall it is promising although much more content needs to be added if it is supposed to be placed on the same level as Kaiserreich or TNO. Spain (which AFAIK is the most completed) has a good amount of content and a significant number of possible paths but some rather important nations (ROC and Austria for example) don't have much beyond the semi-generic trees (that are an appreciated half-measure for sure) while others have content for just a couple of years (Poland and Yugoslavia for example).

That being said I do think that if the development continues at a steady pace it can become on of the better mods out there.

Zhukov is going to kill so many poor NKVD fucks...
Uh oh, you appear to be spreading counter-revolutionary thoughts. The NKVD would like to ask you some questions. Please do not resist, anything you say or do will totally not be used to give us a reason to have you shot.

Last edited:
Ladies and gentleman, Thousand Week Reich has been released!

Now, go! Join Comrade Konev's crusade and liberate Europe from the clutches of Berlin!!!
It seems a little broken, but it's still early so I'm willing to give it a pass. Conceptually, I enjoy it far better than The New Order. Hoping to see more out of it. I was reading assmad comments from TNOfans on the Steam page and felt a bit sad for the devs. Hope it works out.

The Moscow Red Army finally won even though I couldn't send them any troops and I didn't have an army, navy, air force, or economy tree. Bug?

So I annexed the MRA by the decision you get, and proceeded to attack Ostland by focus.

Ate Germany by the end of '59. It was still paralyzed by political crisis. Could not finish the Zhukov tree due to not being able to finish the "Eat Georgia" focus since I ate them by decision. Still got Germany and Gotenland drawn into the war. Heydrich died first, then I crushed Ostland, then I swept south into East Prussia and broke through with my MBTs. These let me basically hook the entire Nazi military into a giant pocket in Poland, where I pulled the mother of all Stalingrads on them, only a lot faster. After that, it was just a matter of waiting for my infantry to take Berlin.

Zhukov died when I took Berlin and some rubble fell on him, so I got his B-team. "The Cripple" seemed like the least bad option, and he immediately set to work fixing the health care system, which made Russia a bit less of a mess.

I now have a Red Europe, two rival Frances (well, OK, a France that is my puppet and a free Republic), a USSR that at least attempts to look out for the people, and...I can't do much of anything else. :/

Still, the actual meat of rebuilding the Motherland as Comrade Zhukov was fun, I liked crushing the warlords and got a real sense of satisfaction out of killing cannibal ancap Norilsk.

Very fun early and mid game, late game is basically broken.

The Moscow Red Army finally won even though I couldn't send them any troops and I didn't have an army, navy, air force, or economy tree. Bug?

So I annexed the MRA by the decision you get, and proceeded to attack Ostland by focus.
Any news from China? Did Chiang win in Vietnam or screw up there? If the latter, who replaced him?

Ladies and gentleman, Thousand Week Reich has been released!

Well, so far with my first playthrough as Zhukov's Soviet Union, I see the mod continues the HoI4 modding tradition of continually escalating civil wars: because I'm just impressed with how the Nazi sphere completely and utterly imploded. I mean, I thought the collapse of TNO's Nazi Germany was something to behold, but this just takes the cake.

Well, so far with my first playthrough as Zhukov's Soviet Union, I see the mod continues the HoI4 modding tradition of continually escalating civil wars: because I'm just impressed with how the Nazi sphere completely and utterly imploded. I mean, I thought the collapse of TNO's Nazi Germany was something to behold, but this just takes the cake.
Sadly the Germans didn't blow up on my run. :(. Oh well, Truman time!
Which one? Chen Cheng or Chen Lifu?
Cheng iirc.

This is Nazi Germany we're talking about. A civil war or collapse of some kind after Hitler's death was pretty much inevitable if you look into the inner workings of the regime and how dysfunctional everything was.

This is Nazi Germany we're talking about. A civil war or collapse of some kind after Hitler's death was pretty much inevitable if you look into the inner workings of the regime and how dysfunctional everything was.

Well duh, that's kind of a given by now; I was more stating my impression at how thoroughly convoluted it ended up being. I mean, there was about 12 different factions in the RK-Moskowien implosion alone! And that's not even leaving Eastern Europe!

I've been most blown away by how well TWR runs. TNO and KR seem to lag out fairly quickly, I was running at pretty high speed for the entire game.

I'm loving this HOI4 mod renaissance, it's fucking top. TNO, TWR, CBTS, OWB Kaiserredux etc. What a glorious age!

I've only played a couple hours as Spain thus far so I can't say much about the Soviet Union. Not that I care much about the bickering of different keyboard crusaders and revolutionaries who think that they will save the world by criticizing a video game mod.

Honestly, hear hear. I love the game but by Gods does it have the whiniest most fictionalized community I've ever encountered in a video game.

Last edited: