The Official HOI4 Mods and Discussion Thread

Zhihu is like Chinese Quora, but looks a little more like Chinese Reddit now, and apparently there's a huge mod ecosystem there that is unknown outside of China:

v2-26a10a15f5758ed93b6d5f7f7b52d3b6_1440w.jpg

v2-fae0621c5d5dc2de057bb82e51c6cee1_1440w.jpg

v2-62f38c959d146c1340d4f2ff4fc13639_b.jpg

v2-43c512efd5aa458a42cea85f36d81da4_1440w.jpg
v2-c7813f2fb0a7b89d85b8edefed160539_1440w.jpg

v2-2fb99dd5a87d274b6c7fbe08347d9e3d_1440w.jpg

I guess it goes to show that every nation and culture has an AH.com-DeviantArt-Reddit culture for making this sort of thing
These are really neat!

Actually one idea for a mod that could be cool would be a timeline where World War I and its aftermath were replaced by the conflict and setting of The Repairer of Reputations, building up a Mythos-inspired 20th century from there. Nothing overtly supernatural, of course. Maybe the FBI becomes more authoritarian after a raid on a coastal city? Maybe Lovecraft becomes President? Maybe Prohibition can somehow last into the 1950s? A UFO craze centered on stories of space fungus rather than Greys, a Chinese Civil War that results in a Tsan Dynasty, MAD as the ultimate expression of nihilistic horror, there's a lot of potential.

It'd be nice if it was more focused on the Robert W. Chambers stuff (like True Detective season 1, or John Tynes' Carcosa cycle) instead of the generic Lovecraft/Cthulhu Mythos RPG stuff.

I had Chambers as the puppet co-leader of the Canadian-occupied Dominion of New England in my Rainbow Wars Kaiserreich offshoot. He would've been really old, but you oughta have some yellow with your green.

With TNO already out and TWR as well as Calm Before the Storm scheduled to release in August I think that we might be experiencing a sort of HOI4 modding renaissance.

To celebrate this occasion I will post this overview of different modding projects created by user spicysambal on reddit:

sh6e0uv3jiq31.png

With TNO already out and TWR as well as Calm Before the Storm scheduled to release in August I think that we might be experiencing a sort of HOI4 modding renaissance.
To celebrate this occasion I will post this overview of different modding projects created by user spicysambal on reddit:
Wow!
Yep, glad I bought HOI4. TWR looks like it has really good potential from the screenshots I saw btw!

-snip-

One thing I'll add is that Flashpoint 77 is dead, replaced by, of all things, a Russian mod fulfulling the same premise that seems pretty far into development.

Wow!
Yep, glad I bought HOI4. TWR looks like it has really good potential from the screenshots I saw btw!
I'm super psyched for TWR. I'm going to try Comrade Zhukov racing to reforge the Motherland, use the NKVD for nuclear testing, and crush the Nazis underfoot before Heydrich can...well, I don't even want to know what unspeakable things that psycho will do.

After that, it's the professor and his idealistic socdem Russia.

I'm super psyched for TWR. I'm going to try Comrade Zhukov racing to reforge the Motherland, use the NKVD for nuclear testing, and crush the Nazis underfoot before Heydrich can...well, I don't even want to know what unspeakable things that psycho will do.

After that, it's the professor and his idealistic socdem Russia.
Don't get your hopes too high, the TWR devs said a month ago that they had to cut down on the USSR's content in order to make it to their intended August release date.

Don't get your hopes too high, the TWR devs said a month ago that they had to cut down on the USSR's content in order to make it to their intended August release date.
Aww. Hopefully they still will release Comrade Zhukov, allowing me to set up an NKVD puppet state...and nuke them.

Aww. Hopefully they still will release Comrade Zhukov, allowing me to set up an NKVD puppet state...and nuke them.
You should stop spouting such counter-revolutionary rhetoric. Comrade Konev requires your full support if we are to crush Germany.

I started to experiment with making focus icons. Below are my initial results.

1. Icons made using preexisting designs form the game files:
test icon showcase 1.png

2. Icons made completely from scratch*:
test icon showcase 2.png

*If you don't count the photo of Kefauver, obviously.

Last edited:
Goddamnit, I'm trying to get the latest Github version of the Historical Geographic Overhaul (HGO) mod to work, but for some goddamn reason, the game crashes back to the desktop before it even finishes loading to the main menu; the error message I get only says "Failed to load the map: Some errors are present in the map defition and have been logged to error.log", which doesn't tell me what exactly went wrong.

And this after I spent hours of work crafting a map using the previous version before updating to the newest version earlier today. Can somebody help me out with how to fix this, so I don't end up having wasted so many hours of painstaking work?