The Official AH.com Wiki Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Help and Rules' started by Petike, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Ganesha શિવા બાળક

Thanks for all of your hard work!

Cheers,
    Ganesha

Petike likes this.
  2. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

Clockpunk Zemplín Kingdom / Franz Josef's Land
    One of the little novelties I've introduced just now is an article compiling POD discussions on Native American cultures:
    https://www.alternatehistory.com/wiki/doku.php?id=pods:native_americans

These are by and large nothing new, but to date, they were mostly scattered in individual articles, so I thought it would be practical having them in one central article as well. It's a big enough topic to warrant giving it a collective page. Now when you search the wiki for "native americans", this will pop up among the first choices. You won't have to search for every POD separately and via guesswork, page by page, and will be able to check out previous discussions faster and more easily. I'll continue adding any stuff I've overlooked.

Zagan likes this.
  3. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

The Longest Threads article hasn't been updated in ages. I've been meaning to do that for years, but now the time is ripe for really sinking one's teeth into it. All will be updated to the current situation in July 2018. I won't be updating slavishly every other while, but once every year or every two years should be fine.

Don't worry, notable legacy content will still have its place in the article, even if it slips out of the latest Top 10 or Top 20 threads. :)

Redcoat likes this.
  4. Redcoat Wanted in 19 different Timelines Banned

Yeah I saw it a while back and was thinking someone should change it. As a suggestion for something else to do, can you update the LTTW laconic summary to the end of Volume IV? Shouldn't be super long compared to doing it to current day, probably something like 15 updates I think

5. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

If you mean summary of the ATL, I prefer to leave that to Thande. He knows his story best. I only update chapters.

6. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

7. The Tai-Pan A Better Deal

You do a really nice job of this.

Petike likes this.
  8. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

What in particular, though ? I always appreciate feedback.

9. Max Sinister Retired Myriad Club Member

OK... who wrote on the wiki that I created the TL "A Rhodesian Dream"? (I just corrected it.)

10. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

The old revisions have all the edits. You can find the author of the edits there.

The TL you mention is by Nicksplace27.

11. Rise Comics Decent Artist, Total Asshat

How do I make a new article?

12. Threadmarks: New Infobox tutorial article and advice on creating new articles

Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

So, after years of people constantly asking about how one can make fictional infoboxes by using Wikipedia's sandbox, formatting and article preview options, I've decided to write as in-depth a tutorial as possible: https://www.alternatehistory.com/wiki/doku.php?id=resources:infobox_tutorial

It also links to some other existing tutorials on the subject, by other AH.commers, and some useful discussions about the subject on this site. Though it's not entirely completed yet, hopefully it can answer some questions and offer some hard-earned advice and a few tips. I'm currently developing a section that describes how I made some of my past infoboxes.

First, check if you've set up a wiki account. If you haven't got one yet, PM Ian and ask him to set it up.

Not sure about a direct "Create article" button. Some wikis have it.

Anyway, click Edit on any article on our wiki, then write [[My new article]]. Ideally, also with a namespace, e.g. [[timelines:My new article]]. Of course, replace "My new article" with the name you want to give to the article. Let's imagine it's a timeline, called The Vengeance of the Abenaki. You write it as [[timelines:The Vengeance of the Abenaki]].

The brackets must be written in exactly this manner. Don't neglect the namespace, and also bear in mind that there only needs to be one namespace. Depending on what your article is about and where it would fit, choose one of the existing namespaces. For example, timelines: for timelines, stories: for stories, offtopic: for offtopic stuff (AH.com in-jokes, stuff about members, etc.). Those are the most used.

If your article has to include ":", you can outsmart the software in the following manner. Let's say you're writing an AH story with the whimsical name Curiosity: It Killed the Cat and you really want to get it onto the wiki in that form. Instead of [[stories:Curiosity: It Killed the Cat]], which will interpret your link badly, write [[timelines:Curiosity - It killed the cat|Curiosity: It killed the cat]] or just [[timelines:Curiosity It killed the cat|Curiosity: It killed the cat]]. On the surface, your link will include ":" in its title, but avoid it in the linking itself, thus avoiding any issues. :)

Okay, once you've written that link and are happy with the name, click Preview. I repeat, Preview, and only Preview. Do not Save the article with the link. You merely need to preview the article to create the link, you don't need to save it. Instead of saving, just scroll up a bit, until you see the preview of the article edited by you.

You should see a red link there. A red link to an article that doesn't exist yet. Click the red link, or open the link in a new tab, and close the tab with the article you edited. You'll now have a future article in place of your red-linked adress. You need to click edit on that non-existent article, write something into the article, then save it. This is where you save, as it's the new article you're saving.

If you're only doing minor changes, you can tick Minor edit. Also, you don't have to, but you can provide a summary of each of your edits on an article. People aren't stringent about it like on Wikipedia. Adding an editing reason or not is up to you.

Be mindful of avoiding the creation of too many new articles. Especially if you don't even have a clear idea of what to include in each of them.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018