The Official AH.com Wiki Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Help and Rules' started by Petike, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Zireael Well-Known Member

Can I do Wikipedia-style family trees in AH.com wiki? I mean, is the relevant code in? Wikipedia does it via some clever table tricks...

Dlg123 and Ddmkm122 like this.
  2. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

Clockpunk Zemplín Kingdom / Franz Josef's Land
    I've never tried it. Check the DokuWiki documentation for that. It's available from the starting page of our wiki, and you can also have a look at the software's official website if you need more info.

3. Zireael Well-Known Member

4. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

5. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

Timelines needing/deserving wikifying

Friends, I'd like to ask you which long-running, well-established timelines still need to get a presence on the wiki. Please find and nominate a few.

I try my best to pick timelines that are really going somewhere and give them a whole page (or even several pages) on the wiki, but given the sheer number of timelines, I obviously can't cover this all by myself.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

6. TaintedLion Prince of Reference Books.

How would I put my own TL on the wiki if I were to create one?

7. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

I'm currently slowly working on adding the missing pages for timelines and other projects that won Turtledove Awards in previous years. If anyone would want to help with that, let me know.

First, you need to have editing access to the wiki. Ask the admin.

As for adding the timeline, there's a whole article on that (though for one's personal page, but making a TL page is basically the same, just with a different namespace). You need to create a link with the [[timelines: ]] structure, where the name of your timeline follows the "timelines:" bit of adress (that's the namespace). You cannot use colons in the name if you're writing that link/adress for the page, but you can use it in the title of your timeline in the article itself. If you're starting the link, create it either in one of the appropriate timeline lists, or simply in your own personal article.

As a rule of thumb, if your TL is still in the works or is very short and you don't update regularly, wait a bit until it grows. Then add the timeline. It would be pretty disappointing to most people if they found your page, then went to the thread with your TL and found very little content.

Ddmkm122 and Zagan like this.
  8. TaintedLion Prince of Reference Books.

Done that.

I'm still working on it, I won't hold my breath :)

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  9. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

If you're struggling with it, let me know.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  10. oberdada Präsident des Welt- und Erdenballs

Is there a reason why my wiki account was deleated? I just wanted to correct an old typo, but it is no longer possible...

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  11. Pkmatrix Godzilla Fanboy Monthly Donor

It's explained here: Logging in to the Wiki

TL;DR: The move to XenForo back in May broke the link between the Forum accounts and the Wiki accounts. Since so few people actually edit the Wiki, Ian didn't feel it was worth the considerable effort to restore that so, instead, we now have separate Forum and Wiki accounts. If you want the Wiki account reactivated, you need to PM Ian.

Dlg123, Ddmkm122 and Petike like this.
  12. oberdada Präsident des Welt- und Erdenballs

Thanks, but I won't ask for just one character that I forgot 8 years ago.

Maybe if I want to do some serious editing someday...

13. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

@oberdada I can fix the typo, just let me know.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  14. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

Just a minor bit of news concerning further wiki improvement:

I've decided to include a redirect in all links that lead from people's profile articles to the Member List and Hall of Infamy articles. This redirect is very simple and will only include redirecting the link to the exact letter in the name lists on both the ML and HoI articles. It can help you find that specific member (current or banned) much more easier

I'm also working tirelessly on eliminating any unintentional red links that might have appeared in the less frequented pages due to the forum's software transition back in May 2016. I still come across these from time to time, due to the structural style of wikilinks being slightly more restrictive than before the May changes to the board.

Dlg123, Ddmkm122 and Zagan like this.
  15. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

A brief example of what I'm up to lately:

https://www.alternatehistory.com/wiki/doku.php?id=pods:the_bourbons

I've been filling in a lot of POD pages lately, especially for POD discussions concerning specific countries or certain popular topics.

This particular example is part of my effort to expand on the current overviews of famous personality PODs. Since royal families are so often talked about, they were one of my primary targets. The chronological overview of Bourbon POD discussions is currently completed (I've even put the existing timelines about them into other parts of the database), so I might focus on expanding the Habsburgs next, or working on the Capetian and Valois PODs. To my utmost surprise, I've even found PODs about Michael Faraday, though I was worried at first there'd be hardly any discussions.

As for countries, though I still have a long way to go, virtually all of Oceania is covered, about a third to a half of African countries as well, and though I still have to make a lot of effort on the Asian and American ones, they'll be filling up very soon. I'm currently focusing primarily on the less talked-about countries. The countries you see most often in discussions are already fairly exhaustively detailed (and adding even more would probably make their articles even more super-in-depth, to the point of ridiculousness). For the more talked-about countries, I want to instead focus on finding not-yet-catalogued POD ideas or more unique POD ideas, whereas the less-covered ones still need to have their basic POD discussions overviews finished.

----

Other currently ongoing concerns are further working on Navigation improvements and on completing the Manual of Style I started last year.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  16. Zagan Donor

I'd like to have my own TL mentioned on the wiki: "Io Mihailŭ, Împĕratul Românilor" - A Michael the Brave Romania Wank
    • Started two years ago;
    • Still updated;
    • Part One finished, Part Two ongoing;
    • Threadmarks;
    • Lots of maps, tables, flags, coat of arms and other images;
    • 64 pages (1262 posts);
    • 72 chapters;
    • By far the most extensive TL featuring Romania;
    • Worldwide coverage;
    • 2017 Turtledove Awards nomination, runner off.
    I hope that it qualifies for inclusion.
    Thank you.

Ddmkm122 and Petike like this.
  17. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

All right. I'll have a look at it and put it in the databases soon.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  18. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

Early Autumn Update

As I promised, here's a major update to my already established article about using the board's and the wiki's search functions:
    https://www.alternatehistory.com/wiki/doku.php?id=offtopic:how_to_use_the_search_function

Yes, now with 100 % more images ! :) Both the discussion board search and the wiki search now have added thumbnail pictures to better illustrate how the various settings and the overall search procedures work. Hopefully, it will help answers questions related to this in the future.

----

In other news ?

The Weekly Flag Challenge now has a gallery of all its winning entries to date:

https://www.alternatehistory.com/wiki/doku.php?id=alternate_history:weekly_flag_challenge_showcase

A similar project is in development for the Map of the Fortnight contest.

And as of the 30th of November, the two lead-in paragraphs on the start page are now somewhat better organised, especially for the sake of newcomers who'd like to get some basic information about the wiki as soon as they enter.

----

Miscellaneous agenda for the rest of this year and the next year:
    - Finally work on expanding the Manual of Style articles I wanted.
    - Write an additional article about finicky forum settings other than the search function(s).
    - Keep expanding the PODs-by-country database, especially the more overlooked countries.
    - Don't forget to be awesome while posting on the board and the wiki.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    Dlg123, Ddmkm122, Zagan and 1 other person like this.
  19. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

2018 New Year update

As of late, some of the articles in the POD section have been expanded again, as part of a long-term plan to update them to current standards of content and detail. People who enjoy POD debates over various scientific discoveries and inventions will probably be the most pleased, as I've done some major additions to those sections, especially to articles that have not seen much activity in a long while. Some of the expanded or new articles I recommend checking out are Metallurgy, Gunpowder, Printing press, Telegraph, Telephone, Musical Instruments and Recording Technology, among several others. Many of the articles were fairly basic and empty before, but not anymore. They now have more content and are more structured. I am quite proud at the effort, along with the other routine expansions I'm doing virtually every month.

Due to personal/family duties and professional duties in the last months, I have not found enough time to think about and finish the Manual of Style section. It is nagging at me, though, and I would certainly like to finish it. If someone has a genuine interest in helping or providing feedback for that, I'm all ears. I don't like doing bigger, ambitious things on the wiki on my lonesome, without adequate feedback.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Dlg123, Indicus, Ganesha and 5 others like this.
  20. Disdurer If specified, this will replace the title tha-

On the "Resources:Tools for creating illustrated AH content" page, Ortelium Symbol Factory no longer exists.
    Should I remove it? Or has it just moved somewhere else?

Also, the link "A pretty good custom coin generator" goes to one of those "Congratulations, you are the 100th visitor or whatever" sites. Should I remove that link as well?