The Official AH.com Wiki Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Help and Rules' started by Petike, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

Clockpunk Zemplín Kingdom / Franz Josef's Land

Since we had to close the Wiki Forum last year due to overly low thread traffic, I've figured we could still use a core/master thread for discussing the stuff related to the board's wiki.

And what shall we discuss in this thread, then ?
    - general wiki maintenance, getting rid of redlinks, etc.
    - maintenance of specific pages, getting rid of redlinks, etc.
    - troubleshooting of various tech problems, etc.
    - learning/practicing formatting, manual of style, etc.
    - your ideas for improving the structure of the articles, etc.
    - answering your questions about doing stuff on the wiki, etc.
    - and much more...

So, let's get to it. If you have a wiki related question, suggestion, and so on, post it in this thread and we'll all try to look into it.

(P.S. Dear mods, if any of you like this thread idea enough, feel free to sticky it over here. If you do so, thanks in advance.)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    Ddmkm122 and Zagan like this.
  2. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

All right, as this thread is very quiet at the moment, I'll kick it into motion a bit by listing some things I'm working on now and/or plan to during the coming weeks and months:

- finally finishing all the updating in the Turtledove Awards database. I'm saying this now: If anyone wants to help me with this by providing some advice, feel free to do so. I'll welcome it.
    - updating the Hall of Infamy list and its individual articles (as well as adding a navigation feature to them; not sure if I'll do the same for the member list as well, but I might some time in the future)
    - working on compiling and improving lists of timelines by country again, after a more than year-long hiatus
    - trying to dig out "lost articles" - i. e., ones that completely lack proper links and can't be easily accessed - and allowing them to resurface
    - clearing out any namespace inconsistencies of individual articles (e.g. a clearly timeline-related page being in the offtopic: section or no namespace at all, etc.)
    - trying to put the SW databases into a fine enough shape, via close cooperation with SW forum regulars (their help is invaluable, and if you're one of them, feel free to contact me)
    - deciding what to do with the Timeline Classification Project, as it's obsolete and too restrictive at this point (I will need to consult this with others)
    - my latest and most daunting plan: Writing a "Manual of Style" for the wiki, in order to provide an easily accessible resource to newcomers who don't know a thing about formatting, namespaces and editing and would want to write their own, but are afraid or inexperienced. Sure, we also have the default Editing Help section, but I think that's more of a "Quick Reference" section than anything, and only covers formatting, not the general consistency of creating and writing articles.

3. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

I've done some fairly major refurbishing and link expansions on the GURPS page. I hope you'll find the edits and new additions helpful and nice.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  4. Color-Copycat Banned

I just go around fixing dead links and adding links.

Ddmkm122 and Petike like this.
  5. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

That's good. Keep it up.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  6. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

Summer Update

High time for a new update. Not that much news as of late, but I've finally gotten to finishing the "AH.com Structure" pages. Some of that overview might still warrant a little rewrite, but I guess it's fairly passable now. Opinions on how the whole thing is written and described are always welcomed, of course, as there's bound to be some room for improvement.

Me and Alex Richards are planning an overhaul of the map databases in the Resources section, as they have started to become slightly outdated and a bit convoluted here and there (though the overall system of the database is good and we'll be keeping the basics of it).

I'm also currently trying my best to include navigation links on every single page I am able to find, even the really old ones. Just so they aren't orphaned articles.

If anyone has a good idea for adding something factual to the wiki that it still currrently lacks, I'm all ears. For instance, just yesterday, this member suggested that we could maybe use more "primer"-style articles or article sections on some OTL historical topics. While some bits of the Resources section help with that, and some of the country overviews too (a bit), it's true we could use more articles like that.

Several new timelines, stories and SW projects have also been added to the lists and rosters on the wiki during the last few months, but that's basically routine by now, so I don't consider it much in the way of news.

7. Insider 9/11 wasn't mine job

Ow... we have a Wiki !?! please make a glossary entry. I have been around for a year and I still have no ID what "vignette" or "TLIAW" means in alternative history context. Also, where is it?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  8. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

I'm sorry, but how could you miss the big button on the front page of the board ? It's right there, between the Post Test Messages Here and Before 1900 forums. You can't miss it.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  9. area11 Goddamn bitch in cat tights.

How do you upload an image to the wiki?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  10. Kaiser K Literally Scoop Jackson

Imperial Palace, Bradenton, Floridian Reich
    Is there a reason why I have two pages about me?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  11. Zek Sora hi

...Nope. No reason at all.

*hides heavy weaponry in corner*

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  12. Kaiser K Literally Scoop Jackson

*Brings out rocket launcher* Well it's weird.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  13. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

You open any page/article on the wiki, click Edit page (panel to the right), then you find the "Add images and other files (opens in a new window)" on the toolbar and press that (it's to the left of the smiley face on the toolbar). Once the window is opened, you press the "Select Files" button, it opens a browsing window and you use that to find and select the image you want to upload. Once you've found and selected the image you want, you just press the "Upload" button below "Select Files". Then, once the image is uploaded, a new window pops up and you can press the "Insert Image" button to insert the image right away or you can fiddle with some of the minor settings offered by that window (such as the sizes and positions of the image).

Beware, though you can upload a picture to the wiki like this and use it later, it's usually better if you're inserting it directly into the page/article you want it to be. (If you don't want to insert it, you can leave it be and use the search function in the image window to search for it at some other, later time.)

Which do you mean ?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  14. Kaiser K Literally Scoop Jackson

There's two user pages for me on the wiki, one under Kaiser K, and one under my old username of Unholy Mistress that I edited to display as Kaiser K when read.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  15. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

Ohhhh... OK, I'll merge Unholy Mistress into your main article.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  16. area11 Goddamn bitch in cat tights.

Thank you.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  17. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

Let me know whether it worked for you.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  18. MapleTekh R A W S A U C E Gone Fishin'

How do you add a new page?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  19. Indicus Raianus Indicorum

Torontus, Ontarius Minor, Imperium Romanum
    You make a link to that page and then you press on that link.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  20. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

Yes. Create a redlink first, then create the page. Put a page in the appropriate namespace and use fewer namespaces. One is pretty much enough, at virtually all times. The more namespaces one puts in a link, the harder it is to find a page. Less is more.

Ddmkm122 likes this.