The Oceans Divide: A World Of Laughter, A World Of Tears II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this truly horrifying. I wonder if the African American refugees in Africa will become something of a Merchant ethnicity with their greater industrial skills and literacy.

It's amazing to see you back @statichaos! AWOLAWOT was the first TL that convinced me to make an account here and I've always hoped you'd be back.

Same here. It was recommended to me on another forum and I started reading it before it was finished. Would never have come here and read so much more without it grabbing me by the throat. So wonderful to see this back.

A good place for African American emigres to go would be Abyssinia. A non colonial holding with a burgeoning economy at could use a more educated class of people.

One problem with "heading back to Africa". You're introducing a foreign ethnic group into an area with its own problems and issues. Granted, not all of Africa has race problems, but no denying some of the more prominent states had issues all the way to the 1990s.

Ethiopia is a hotbed of ethnic and tribal issues, resulting in the Derg coup of 1974. Nigeria has the Hasa-Faluni/Igbo divide. Zaire had issues of being run by a tyrant and the Katanga separatists. South Africa is not going to accept any African-Americans. How are they going to accept a new bunch of people who expect to be treated like family when they're clearly not even that 'black'?

One problem with "heading back to Africa". You're introducing a foreign ethnic group into an area with its own problems and issues. Granted, not all of Africa has race problems, but no denying some of the more prominent states had issues all the way to the 1990s.

Ethiopia is a hotbed of ethnic and tribal issues, resulting in the Derg coup of 1974. Nigeria has the Hasa-Faluni/Igbo divide. Zaire had issues of being run by a tyrant and the Katanga separatists. South Africa is not going to accept any African-Americans. How are they going to accept a new bunch of people who expect to be treated like family when they're clearly not even that 'black'?

Well at long as they're spread thin enough it won't be much of an issue anywhere.

The governments might welcome well educated people to their unindustrialised nations. People,who would likely be very loyal. Maybe more of a feeling of Pan-Africanism. Some of the problems (although not all) may be butterflied.

A good place for African American emigres to go would be Abyssinia. A non colonial holding with a burgeoning economy at could use a more educated class of people.
The Ethiopian monarchy would always welcome more Christians. Plus I am sick and tired of Africa getting screwed in timelines.

The Ethiopian monarchy would always welcome more Christians. Plus I am sick and tired of Africa getting screwed in timelines.

Honestly, that and a lack of detailed familiarity with pan-African politics at the time are two of the reasons that I avoided this. I do plan on having some settlers in some part of Africa, but I haven't quite decided what to do with it.

Honestly, that and a lack of detailed familiarity with pan-African politics at the time are two of the reasons that I avoided this. I do plan on having some settlers in some part of Africa, but I haven't quite decided what to do with it.
Just please don't make it year another Africa screw.

You're alive! I lot of fun stuff has happened since 2012. I can't wait to see more of Roy Cohn and his young apprentice!

Baram-Roy-Cohn-Featured.jpg

url

Last edited:
India seems to be very humanitarian minded in this era with their civil rights Bills for untouchables. Maybe they invite African Americans as a statement?

Here is a rare video of Sen. John Stennis.

I'd be curious to know about WFB's reactions to the events of this TL. In OTL, the early National Review explicitly defended segregation when it first emerged in the mid-1950s but Buckley's mind was changed due to a combination of political shifts and the South and personal disturbance regarding the violence used to oppose Civil Rights (https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/05/13/william-f-buckley-civil-rights-215129)

I can seriously see him succeeding as mayor of NYC in TTL 1965. Given this climate, he would be seen as the "reasonable figure" akin to TTL Goldwater in 1960.

Here is a rare video of Sen. John Stennis.

I'd be curious to know about WFB's reactions to the events of this TL. In OTL, the early National Review explicitly defended segregation when it first emerged in the mid-1950s but Buckley's mind was changed due to a combination of political shifts and the South and personal disturbance regarding the violence used to oppose Civil Rights (https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/05/13/william-f-buckley-civil-rights-215129)

I can seriously see him succeeding as mayor of NYC in TTL 1965. Given this climate, he would be seen as the "reasonable figure" akin to TTL Goldwater in 1960.

Stennis is the Mennis!

He made a very brief cameo to criticize Rockefeller in 1960.

Now that its 1961, I'm wondering where Edwin Walker is ITTL. Around this time, he began his campagin for governor, and I could see his hardline anti-communist views gaining a lot more traction than they did IOTL. Apparently, he was also praised by George Rockwell and the Nazi Party for his segregationist views, so I could see him getting along quite nicely with the Senator from Virginia if he enters politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.