The NextGen OTL Worlda Series

I revised the Turgay-Orenburg oblast border (changes in red) that should be used between 1900-1918, as 1,000,000 acres of Orenburg Cossack territory was transferred to the Turgay Oblast in 1898.
1683488612363.png

It's currently 12:44 am EST, and I just spent almost three hours making a less cluttered and noticeably modified version of what I like to call the "Alexandrian WorldA":
Worlda Alternate Basemap 1.png

Worlda Alternate Basemap 2.png

Last edited:
The QBAM and worlda maps showing the Irkutsk Governorate are inaccurate.

Xh1NMDT.png
ym9a9oo.png

Just from the shape of the Irkutsk-Yakutsk border, you can see that there's something wrong with Kirensk uyezd.

%D0%9A%D0%B0%D1%80%D1%82%D0%B0_%D0%98%D1%80%D0%BA%D1%83%D1%82%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%B9_%D0%B3%D1%83%D0%B1%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%B8.png
1920px-Irkutsk_in_Russian_Empire_%281914%29.svg.png

Last edited:
I think it's based on this:
640px-Map_Irkutsk_Governorate.jpg
I don't know who produced this map, but the one I showed was made by Dmitri Rudnev, a cartographer active in the 1910s who made maps of many governorates and cities. You can see his name in the lower right corner: "Kartograf. zaved. D. Rudneva.S.P.B."

I also know for a fact that the town of Bodaybo, which is east of the Vitim river and thus outside Irkutsk in your map, was the site of the Lena strike massacre and that was dealt with by Irkutsk authorities (with troops from Kirensk uyezd) and not Yakutsk ones. In fact, the Lena Goldfields company pulled strings to get the Irkutsk governor reassigned to Yakutsk after he expressed sympathy for the strikers, in order to get him out of their hair.

I don't see a date or cartographer's name on your map, but I'm assuming that it must be from around 1898, when the Kirensk uyezd was re-established, and that the lands east of the Vitim river were added sometime afterward. They were certainly part of Irkutsk by 1912.

Last edited:
I don't know who produced this map, but the one I showed was made by Dmitri Rudnev, a cartographer active in the 1910s who made maps of many governorates and cities. You can see his name in the lower right corner: "Kartograf. zaved. D. Rudneva.S.P.B."

I also know for a fact that the town of Bodaybo, which is east of the Vitim river and thus outside Irkutsk in your map, was the site of the Lena strike massacre and that was dealt with by Irkutsk authorities (with troops from Kirensk uyezd) and not Yakutsk ones. In fact, the Lena Goldfields company pulled strings to get the Irkutsk governor reassigned to Yakutsk after he expressed sympathy for the strikers, in order to get him out of their hair.

I don't see a date or cartographer's name on your map, but I'm assuming that it must be from around 1898, when the Kirensk uyezd was re-established, and that the lands east of the Vitim river were added sometime afterward. They were certainly part of Irkutsk by 1912.
Just found the source of the map I posted: The Jewish Encyclopedia of Brockhaus and Efron (1906-1913)
So looks like there might be two different variations of the border for the same time period.

Note: As far as I know that example is ahistorical
Well, if the border's color doesn't indicate dispute back then, it would certainly indicate confusion among the mappers right now.

By the way, here is the original source of my map. (site, pdf).
Map of Siberia is on page 237; Irkutsk is on page 241.

Translation of the text on the webpage:

"This publication was released on the initiative of journalist Alexander Efimovich Ryabchenko at the expense of Grand Duke Mikhail Alexandrovich with the aim of disseminating information about Russia among the population of the Russian Empire. The atlas contains a brief description of one hundred oblasts and governorates of the empire with geographical maps. The publication is compiled in such a way that, studying any province on the map and description, the reader could get an accurate idea of the space occupied by a particular territory, its administrative division, climate, natural resources, population and its crafts, communication routes, the state of trade and factory industry and much more.

The atlas, published in 1913, has never been reprinted."

Last edited:
USSR AD.png

I used statistical regions for Latvia, development regions for Moldova and economic regions for Azerbaijan because their administrative units are too small for Worlda

I
Since you posted this phenomenal map, and said that you were inspired by that Q-BAM one on Newgrounds, as a hobby I have for months since past year been working on a sort of WorldA adaptation of that Q-BAM map, since I endlessly update it every day, therefore it will always end up being outdated in some way or another, but your map has inspired me to model mine after yours a little bit (of course, all credits go to you), I also use my very own coastline fixes (i.e. Singapore), and color scheme.

But anyways, here it is, looking for critiques since I did not expected to post it here so soon:
View attachment 823768
Is the red in Sudan the Rapid Support Forces

Is the red in Sudan the Rapid Support Forces
No, this red in Sudan was the Janjaweed militia of Musa Hilal, that map is outdated, this is/was the situation in Sudan as of 2016, which assuming that this situation did not changed until 2023, this makes the map anachronistic since it is supposed to be in 2023 but has 2016 insurgencies.

I would also like to say that for the moment being, I have stopped working on WorldA and returned to working on the 8K-BAM.