The NextGen OTL Worlda Series

Anyone know what specific nations in the African interior are referenced in the 1885 basemap are? I can recognize the Toucouleur, Sokoto, and the Matabele, but it's hard finding reliable maps for pre-Berlin Africa.
There's Samori's kingdom, Mossi, Wadai, Adamawa, Futa Jallon (I think). There's Yeke in Zambia.

China, 1600:
1607018964276.png

Source

I've just found the existence of the Principality of Najran, an arab state centered in Najran (southern Saudi Arabia near the Yemeni border) that was there from 1633 until 1934.
This is how it would look (in the 1914 basemap):

i73bghp4.png

Should we add it to the rest of maps?

Last edited:
Just turned in my last final for the fall semester. I'm free once more!

can we not reinvent the wheel? we already did that with india's subdivisions and it's a pain in the ass to deal with
Are you opposed to fixing inaccuracies or something?
I always welcome community improvements to the maps, and I definitely understand where @SnivyLink is coming from. Sinvy is right in that we'd have to go back and update all the rest of the maps with the fixed borders. Seeing as @Admiral A. Kolchak is far more familiar with Chinese history than I (and I'm so thankful he is), if he wants to go back and update the patches, I'd love to incorporate them.
I've just found the existence of the Principality of Najran, an arab state centered in Najran (southern Saudi Arabia near the Yemeni border) that was there from 1633 until 1934.
Looks good. I'll go back and double check to see if the borders changed at all throughout its history. I'll add it to the relevant maps.
My Attempt to create an Ethnicity Map using the 2020 WorldA map.
Good start so far! Only one suggestion - the 2020 US census data will be (presumably) be coming out soon, which might change the ethnic map for the USA. Other than that, best of luck with the project.

As for the 2020 subdivision maps - They look great so far. I'm holding off on adding a link to the map in the main post until this version is complete. To repeat what I've said before, there'll be two 2020 maps: one with the normal rules for subdivisions, and this one with the maximum number of subdivisions. Personally I prefer the former, but I understand that the latter could be a potentially useful resource for some projects, and it's a worthwhile endeavor.

As for the 2020 subdivision maps - They look great so far. I'm holding off on adding a link to the map in the main post until this version is complete. To repeat what I've said before, there'll be two 2020 maps: one with the normal rules for subdivisions, and this one with the maximum number of subdivisions. Personally I prefer the former, but I understand that the latter could be a potentially useful resource for some projects, and it's a worthwhile endeavor.
Hooray!

View attachment 609028
Last update for a while as my computer is broken.
Where are you getting your data from, and by what criteria do you judge what an ethnicity is and which people are members thereof? The depiction of the United States is especially confusing to me, because it looks similar to a map I've seen which shows the largest (as in, a plurality, not necessarily a majority) reported ancestry by US county, and what you've got here looks vaguely similar but also egregiously skewed and wildly inaccurate: Finnish Americans, the instance that caught my eye (being partially of Finnish American descent myself), don't constitute a majority of the population in any city or town anywhere in the US. Furthermore, I'm skeptical of African Americans being assigned colors on this map that are associated with countries in Africa, because per my understanding African American is an ethnicity in and of itself; furthermore, I'm fairly certain that portraying African Americans in North Carolina and Virginia as distinct enough from those in the rest of the South to warrant a different color has no basis in actual data.

In any case, I'm not sure a map of ethnicities is as useful as a map of languages in any case, and so I feel like that's the direction you should be going in instead.

i think it's based on one of the older worlda language maps from the wiki
I have the map I think you're talking about, and I've recognized various elements of it there, but Unkown00 obviously isn't trying to simply adapt that map to use NCS conventions; if they were, there wouldn't be any distinction between, say, Irish Americans and Anglo-Americans, because they both speak English.