The NextGen OTL Worlda Series

Why was it changed from rectangular which can be re-centred easily and allows for transposing along the same latitude without distortion to this projection?

Do you have the links to rectangular so that the map isn't so eurocentric and can be centred elsewhere?
I don't think you want the rectangular worldA. Behold, the 2007(ish) edition of the worldA in all its glory:
fbpY7.png

Needless to say, the community's quality of maps have gone a long way in the past decade.

I don't think you want the rectangular worldA. Behold, the 2007(ish) edition of the worldA in all its glory: View attachment 566340

Needless to say, the community's quality of maps have gone a long way in the past decade.
The fact that this map specifically is terrible does not mean that the concept of the rectangular worlda itself also is. In fact, the present pseudo cylindrical worlda is arguably inferior because it is intrinsically Eurocentric, and the projection makes trying to draw correct historical borders on it hugely more difficult.

The fact that this map specifically is terrible does not mean that the concept of the rectangular worlda itself also is. In fact, the present pseudo cylindrical worlda is arguably inferior because it is intrinsically Eurocentric, and the projection makes trying to draw correct historical borders on it hugely more difficult.
Ah, I thought he was referring to the old "rectangular" worlda. We never really had a worlda with a rectangular projection; I think the current equalA project fills the role of a less euro-centric projection.

Drawing historical borders is difficult on any projection, since many regional basemaps are made in a conical projection which requires distorting to map onto any non-conical projection. This will be the case regardless of what projection is used for the worlda, unless for whatever reason we shift to a conical projection (which would be very strange indeed).

I don't think you want the rectangular worldA. Behold, the 2007(ish) edition of the worldA in all its glory:

Thanks for the link. As terrible as it is at least I can do this if I want to have a Japanese, Pacific or Oceanic focus

1594842699126.png

The XK-Bams (2K-Bam, 5K-Bam and 8K-Bam) are good because they use the equirectangular projection

Sadly the XK-Bams don't come close to the diversity and completeness @hadaril has created and compiled.

The 2K Bam is also much larger than the WorldA right? There's no 1K Bam that would fill the same simple roll.

There are benefits to a cylinder like you can have the legend in the corner but I think the benefits are too marginal for the cost

Ah, I thought he was referring to the old "rectangular" worlda. We never really had a worlda with a rectangular projection; I think the current equalA project fills the role of a less euro-centric projection.

Drawing historical borders is difficult on any projection, since many regional basemaps are made in a conical projection which requires distorting to map onto any non-conical projection. This will be the case regardless of what projection is used for the worlda, unless for whatever reason we shift to a conical projection (which would be very strange indeed).

The ideal projection would of course be a globe ^^ In 20 years time when people copy paste globes into their forum posts I'm sure we'll seem silly to worry about 2d projections.

If it was possible to convert from worldA to another with a program it would be great to convert it all to the XK-Bams

This isn't really true. Many maps are made in local conical projections, but those that aren't are always made in a cylindrical projection. For example, drawing the internal boundaries of China onto a global equirectangular projection is extremely easy because every Chinese subdivision has a readily available equirectangular map from wikipedia. Not so with pseudo.
Thanks for the link. As terrible as it is at least I can do this if I want to have a Japanese, Pacific or Oceanic focus

View attachment 566368

Sadly the XK-Bams don't come close to the diversity and completeness @hadaril has created and compiled.

The 2K Bam is also much larger than the WorldA right? There's no 1K Bam that would fill the same simple roll.

There are benefits to a cylinder like you can have the legend in the corner but I think the benefits are too marginal for the cost

The ideal projection would of course be a globe ^^ In 20 years time when people copy paste globes into their forum posts I'm sure we'll seem silly to worry about 2d projections.

If it was possible to convert from worldA to another with a program it would be great to convert it all to the XK-Bams
Again, just because more good existing maps are in pseudo does not, in any way, make pseudo superior. Also, yes, you can do that, but it looks awful and the fact remains that pseudo is intrinsically biased towards one part of the globe. This is an awful trait to have for a world map where the entire point is to have easily customisable detail across the entire world.

This isn't really true. Many maps are made in local conical projections, but those that aren't are always made in a cylindrical projection. For example, drawing the internal boundaries of China onto a global equirectangular projection is extremely easy because every Chinese subdivision has a readily available equirectangular map from wikipedia. Not so with pseudo.

Again, just because more good existing maps are in pseudo does not, in any way, make pseudo superior. Also, yes, you can do that, but it looks awful and the fact remains that pseudo is intrinsically biased towards one part of the globe. This is an awful trait to have for a world map where the entire point is to have easily customisable detail across the entire world.

Right I don't think it's superior but if I need a map pseudo is all that's available. Even QBAMs haven't matched the completeness of worldA.

If there was a 1k base map (geographically accurate, rivers/lakes all sorted for major events) I would try my hand at manually moving over the maps. Even if it was only 1 a week any progress is positive.

btw your maps are great use them a lot.

IM LITERALLY ABOUT TO FUCKING SCREAM!!!!! (excuse the language)
using flex projector and an hour or two of trying to fit the sliders of flex projector to worlda, i practically did it.
there's a few regions of small distortion but nearly all of them are easily fixable with a bit of stretching. sadly, i can't do it unevenly (that would make it even more mind bogglingly) accurate.
!!! ANTARCTICA IS UNUSABLE SADLY !!!
how to export in the pseudo-worlda projection:
1) download flex projector (duh) http://www.flexprojector.com/download.html
2) download the slider file (Untitled 1 - Flex Projector.txt)
3)Import the slider file you downloaded
to do this:
click open
1594935510869.png

and open the downloaded text file
you should get a map like this.
1594935577280.png

4) Project your image or add the shapefile:
To project an image:
!!! YOU CAN ONLY PROJECT EQUIRECTANGULAR IMAGES !!!
first, select project image
1594935846614.png

then select "Flex Sliders" (it should be at the very bottom)
1594935809671.png

then choose where you're going to save
set resolution witdh (it isn't equal to worlda but putting it into place isn't hard either)
and you're done!
To project a shapefile:
select project shapefile instead
select your shapefile
select the flex sliders at the very bottom
and select resolution
you're done again!
I hope we can make more basemaps with my custom projection!

Attachments

• Untitled 1 - Flex Projector.txt
    665 bytes · Views: 243
1594936796730.png

a continuation to my last post:
this map probably shows best where the borders distort the most.
also a few more notes:
-you may notice how the border of the pseudo-worlda don't match the actual border of the worlda. this is because to get the coastlines and lakes in position (which let's be honest, in most scenarios matters way more) i had to distort the border a bit.
-the worst distortions happen in mexico, the very southern US, beijing and it's surroundings, korea, japan, eastern australia and the poles.

So does this mean that we can reproject the worlda into Robinson or some other actually usable projection?
I tried it, and since the border of the pseudoworlda is not consistent it doesn't work.
My goal was to make a projection that would fit the worlda, not the opposite.

Does anyone have a map of 1836 (though any time from 1820s to 1845 would do), or at least the Americas?
I did this one several weeks ago, I hope it's correct.
I didn't really know how to portray the messy situation in the perubolivia-ecuador-colombian-brazil border disputes.
The date is June 1836
1836.png

A long time ago I promised to add my Argentina patches to make these basemaps even better. Well, as we say here, lo prometido es deuda, so I've started to do it. In the process, I've made some small corrections to other places.

Here are the first ones. I've started from 1812.

1812:
1812.png

This was a confusing year to make, because it's right on the middle of the Indepdence Wars, and to draw all the movements in the front proves very confusing. In this year, the Spanish royalists advanced on Salta province only to be defeated in the battle of Tucumán. In what is now Bolivia, there was a guerrilla war waged against the Spanish by the republiquetas (little republics), insurrectionary goverments loosely aligned with the independentists in modern Argentina. The intendencias of what is now Bolivia sent representatives to the various independence congresses, and so they're shown as claimed by Argentina. The interior borders are available in several maps; I might do them when I have time (I have already marked down the borders between the Viceroyalties of New Spain, New Granada, and Peru, which weren't there before, they were marked as second-level divisions). Meanwhile, the Banda Oriental, now modern Uruguay, was invaded by Portuguese forces in the northeast, and Montevideo was a royalist bastion under siege at the time.
I'm not exactly sure what's the deal with those Paraguayan bits claimed by Brazil, according to what I've read they were ceded in 1872 after the Triple Alliance War.

1815:
1815.png

Still a very confusing year. By now, the Spanish are on the retreat, though it would be only through the efforts of San Martín and Bolívar that they would be definitively be defeated in Peru and Bolivia. The Republiquetas still waged their guerrilla war; while there are a few maps that show them, it's very difficult to map such a changing front. In Argentina, the Tucumán Congress (which included representatives from what is now Bolivia, still occupied by the Spanish) waged a civil war against the Liga de Los Pueblos Libres, based on what is now Uruguay and eastern Argentina. The League is often considered a precursor to Uruguay, so I've colored it on Uruguay's color.

Boy I am SO thankful that there are no maps between 1812-1836. Mapping the Anarchy of 1820 and the Platine War would've been hell.

1836:
1836.png

Now, this one I'm quite proud of! I've taken @DaniCBP's map and modyfied it a little. I've added Argentina's internal divisions of course (by now mostly united under the Argentine Confederation), added the claims on the Chaco (mapping South American claims and borders is not an exercise for those sound of mind), the interior borders of the Peru-Bolivian Confederation, and the Riograndese Republic. Technically Argentina still considered Paraguay and I think Uruguay as provinces, but I've omitted that. I've also improved Mexico's internal divisions and added indepent Texas (YEEHAW!). I think Oregon should be better portrayed, but I'm not sure how.

The rest of the map is the same as the 1848 one, with many modifications based on my extensive historical knowledge*. Namely, an extended Khevidate of Egypt, no Boer Republics except for the Natalia Republic, independent Kashmir and Balochistan, and a few others. I've surely missed a lot of little details, but it's a quite usable 1836, if I say so myself.

When I have time I'll keep adding the Argentina patches and fixing the following maps. I've already have patches for those, so it should be quicker. I've also been working in some pre-columbian patches. And although tedious, it would be nice to have the internal borders of the Spanish viceroyalties.

Anyways, enjoy!

*playing Victoria II for an unhealthy period of time.