The NextGen OTL Worlda Series

Imo we should remove microstates from Worlda, it just allocates 5 giant pixels to a nation that can't even be viewed from a Worlda perspective.

Also, German-Austrian occupation patch:
Occupation.png

Last edited:
there's like a million patches and updated maps in this thread that were forgotten that we should probably integrate
I've tried to incorporate as many patches as I can. Many of the ones farther back are for earlier versions of the worlda and have been later improved upon. When I was going through and doing the 5.0 revisions, I'm fairly certain I incorporated as many as I could. If there are any in particular you're referring to, lemme know.

Imo we should remove microstates from Worlda, it just allocates 5 giant pixels to a nation that can't even be viewed from a Worlda perspective.
I've gone back and forth on microstates. It's an unfortunate limitation of the WorldA's size, and they do add a bit of clutter. Ultimately I decided to keep theml; as Snowstalker said, removing them would suggest they didn't exist at all.

On the topic of patches, how many of you are familiar with GitHub? I was considering making a repository for the NextGen Maps to facilitate collaboration on the project. I've recently discovered the desktop app not only allows you to compare changes in text files, but image files as well, which is incredibly useful. It would also allow people to keep better track of updates. I already host all of the NextGen maps on a GitHub Pages site, so I could add others as collaborators on the project, and allow people to make branches which I could then review.

If anyone is interested, let me know.

Also: Added updated maps for 3100 BC, 2500 BC, 1350 BC, 323 BC, 250 BC, 100 BC, and 44 BC, made some small edits to the roman provinces on the 1 AD map for consistency and accuracy, and uploaded the revised WW2 maps.

On the topic of patches, how many of you are familiar with GitHub? I was considering making a repository for the NextGen Maps to facilitate collaboration on the project. I've recently discovered the desktop app not only allows you to compare changes in text files, but image files as well, which is incredibly useful. It would also allow people to keep better track of updates. I already host all of the NextGen maps on a GitHub Pages site, so I could add others as collaborators on the project, and allow people to make branches which I could then review.

That sounds like an interesting and functional idea.

Also, I didn't realise it until now, but why are countries like Andorra, Leichtenstein, Albania, and so on, getting colours now?
While NCS doesn't aspire to be a completely all-inclusive scheme like TOAST3RS, I still want it to include (at a minimum) colors for (almost) all countries existing in the present day, as well as colors for frequently present countries throughout history. Albania has been around (in some form or another) for quite some time historically, so I felt it natural to give it a color. Andorra and Leichtenstein don't have unique colors, but use those of other countries (Andorra has the color of junior spain, etc).

While NCS doesn't aspire to be a completely all-inclusive scheme like TOAST3RS, I still want it to include (at a minimum) colors for (almost) all countries existing in the present day, as well as colors for frequently present countries throughout history. Albania has been around (in some form or another) for quite some time historically, so I felt it natural to give it a color. Andorra and Leichtenstein don't have unique colors, but use those of other countries (Andorra has the color of junior spain, etc).

Fair enough - I think it only caught me off guard because I'm used to seeing more white in Europe on Worlda maps. :coldsweat:

qazse

Gone Fishin'
PROOF OF CONCEPT: A paleogeographic version of these maps (750 ma example)...
Many thanks to Dr. Christopher Scotese for providing the original maps.
750 ma.png

The first generation of worldas was built on the rectangular worlda, which is so wildly far off from the modern version that updating them would require tremendous work. Some years were simply omitted due to redundency (ex: having a 1100 AD and a 1115 AD map).

Why was it changed from rectangular which can be re-centred easily and allows for transposing along the same latitude without distortion to this projection?

Do you have the links to rectangular so that the map isn't so eurocentric and can be centred elsewhere?

Why was it changed from rectangular which can be re-centred easily and allows for transposing along the same latitude without distortion to this projection?

Do you have the links to rectangular so that the map isn't so eurocentric and can be centred elsewhere?
It was changed because the old worlda looked like trash. Maybe talk to the equalA people, they seem to have a mathematical projection that can work well for non-Eurocentric maps.

i would prefer it to be here, github confuses me