The NextGen OTL Worlda Series

Deleted member 108228

Could it be possible to request an Next Gen worlda map of Africa before the colonial age during the 1870-1880s, as well as an updated map of the 1890 one?

fetch.php

fetch.php

Why do the Interwar and WWII-era maps show Iraq with a French outline when it was a British protectorate?

Similar, many regions have protectorates outlined in the ruling country's "main" colour (like Italian Cyrenaica) but then other areas don't (like Italian Somalia).
i saw that the 1939 AD map has Lebanon under British rule where it should have been under the French rule.

Also, can you put a basemap with rivers of the world on it for reference.

Reuploaded the interwar and ww2 maps with those fixed.

Hi All,
Love this update of the basemaps.
A contribution from myself;

Added these to the series - I updated the colors in a few places with the new ones in NCS 3.5, but they're more or less the same! Thank you so much for these, they are amazing!

1776 still shows the Cape as owned by Britain and the 2017 map link is showing the map for 2000.

Fixed both of those.

Why do the Interwar and WWII-era maps show Iraq with a French outline when it was a British protectorate?
Similar, many regions have protectorates outlined in the ruling country's "main" colour (like Italian Cyrenaica) but then other areas don't (like Italian Somalia).

Fixed the Iraq issue. My theory as to what happened is I mistook the iraqi outline color for the french autonomous color when I was first doing the series. My bad!

As for the outlines, I suppose I should clarify my use of them: I use outlines to distinguish areas of different colors that are part of the same administrative unit; for example, on the 1939 map, I have Czechia in light gray, and outlined in the dark German color, along with the rest of Germany, whereas Slovakia is not outlined. This is to show that Czechia was administered as part of the Reich, and to distinguish it from Slovakia, which was a puppet state. Generally I use the 4th color for outlines, with the exception of Dynastic China [5th color] and colonial empires [generally color 3]. China is different because I often need the 4th color for actual fills, and the colonial one was just an artistic choice.

Could it be possible to request an Next Gen worlda map of Africa before the colonial age during the 1870-1880s, as well as an updated map of the 1890 one?

While I certainly might do one later on, I need to take a few weeks break from working on these - the burnout is pretty real, man! Of course, if anyone else wants to do one, feel free! Just make sure to use the new NCS 3.5 colors, of course :p

As for the outlines, I suppose I should clarify my use of them: I use outlines to distinguish areas of different colors that are part of the same administrative unit; for example, on the 1939 map, I have Czechia in light gray, and outlined in the dark German color, along with the rest of Germany, whereas Slovakia is not outlined. This is to show that Czechia was administered as part of the Reich, and to distinguish it from Slovakia, which was a puppet state. Generally I use the 4th color for outlines, with the exception of Dynastic China [5th color] and colonial empires [generally color 3]. China is different because I often need the 4th color for actual fills, and the colonial one was just an artistic choice.

I can see exactly what you're using them for; as I said though in some areas they are used and in some they are not when in both it would serve the same purpose, i.e. Italian Libya and Italian Somalia. Both were administered as colonies (Libya and Somalia) but both had local rulers within those colonies (Cyrenaica and, say, Mogadishu), but as far as I can see only Libya uses the outline and Somalia does not.

usually a paintbucket thing in paint.net, which is often used for pixel maps here
Where can I download paint.net for free? There are two links on the site: 1 on the windows store which wants $7 and the other one takes me to a site which redirects me to the paint.net website

Where can I download paint.net for free? There are two links on the site: 1 on the windows store which wants $7 and the other one takes me to a site which redirects me to the paint.net website
getpaint.net is the one for free. If you don't get how to use it, just message me and I can help!

Thank you, finally got it to work. The paintbucket tool is amazing, I really wish Photoshop's was this powerful. Unfortunately it looks like I'll have to flip back and forth between programs
You can create a custom pattern and achieve the same effect in photoshop! Create a new document, and unlock the "background layer". Hit ctrl+a, and then delete. This should leave you with an empty alpha layer. Use the pencil tool to draw out the pattern you want, then, once you're done, hit ctrl+a, and go to edit → define pattern. If you open the image I attached, I have a basic diagonal that you can just open and define as a pattern.

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-2_14-32-57.png
    upload_2018-8-2_14-32-57.png
    88 bytes · Views: 523
You can create a custom pattern and achieve the same effect in photoshop! Create a new document, and unlock the "background layer". Hit ctrl+a, and then delete. This should leave you with an empty alpha layer. Use the pencil tool to draw out the pattern you want, then, once you're done, hit ctrl+a, and go to edit → define pattern. If you open the image I attached, I have a basic diagonal that you can just open and define as a pattern.
Great, very useful, thanks! Is there a similar trick to color in the outlines like in the img below? Or do you just have to manually fill it in by hand?
AFkqxis.png

What I generally do is fill the area I want with the outline color, select the area, select → contract by 1 px, and then fill it with the fill color.