The NextGen OTL Worlda Series

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by hadaril, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Admiral A. Kolchak Supreme Leader

It is a Robinson projection that I distorted to fit the worlda, I believe, so it is slightly off laterally, but only by a few pixels in high latitudes.

I would have used those maps, but I couldn't make them fit the projection, and I didn't want the map to be partly guesswork.

Christory likes this.
  2. oofo Well-Known Member

It had receded substantially by the late Maastrichtian but still covered a large. Most of the Gulf Coast including Louisiana and Florida for instance, were definitely underwater by that time, it was split in half by that time but the northern half still snaked down to about North Dakota Saskatchewan and Manitoba. Fossil evidences hints at parts of South Dakota and Kansas possibly being underwater at even by 66 million years ago.

Of course, any map like this is hard to make accurate, since we can only infer in certain places.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    Christory likes this.
  3. EmperorKazooKid *furiously playing the kazoo*

Hi, so I know someone has likely already requested this before, but can we maybe have some more maps of the Classical Era? A map of the world in 49 BCE, just before Caesar crossed the Rubicon, would be nice. Perhaps a series covering the various Roman Civil Wars from Caesar crossing the Rubicon up to the Battle of Actium? Maps covering the Persian empire, Alexander, and the Diadochi or the rise of China would be nice too. I just feel like there's a pretty big jump between the 2500 BCE map and the 1 AD map, and if you're doing a TL set in the Bronze Age or Classical Era it might be helpful to have.

4. hadaril NextGen Worlda Project Lead

I'm currently busy with going through and doing another review of all the maps we have already, but one of the first things I plan on doing once I'm done with those is expanding on the classical era since, as you said, there's a big gap there! I can't give an exact timetable, but if anyone else wants to do them, that'd certainly speed it up.

5. Philosopher Jaden Smith Unknown member

What software do you use to make worlda maps?

6. Analytical Engine Monarchist Collectivist Federalist

You can use MS Paint.

7. hadaril NextGen Worlda Project Lead

Any raster image editing software works. I personally use photoshop, but if you can't afford it, GIMP & Paint.net are both free and both work just as well; there isn't much need for photoshop except for small things that don't normally matter. I prefer photoshop for making the NextGen series simply because it has some transformation tools that allow me to distort images to fit the base map, but that ability isn't really needed for making alternate history maps, just the OTL ones. While you can use normal MS paint, I don't recommend it because. If you're a beginner, I'd recommend paint.net as it's more straightforward than GIMP.

8. SnivyLink *insert witty comment here*

I patched Macaronesia on the 1444-1806 maps
    1572209355506.png 1572209416665.png 1572209460396.png 1572209539514.png 1572209580567.png 1572209628097.png 1572209680788.png 1572209712130.png
    1572209754869.png

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    hadaril likes this.
  9. SnivyLink *insert witty comment here*

The last 2 couldn't fit on the post 1572209792973.png 1572209812484.png

10. Tethys00 Mod of r/imaginarymaps Donor

Great Salt Lake City, The Republic of Deseret
    Blind, Miner, SnivyLink and 6 others like this.
  11. James the AH Fan Just your average alt history kid.

Can he make Africa patches from 1688-1815?
    We also need a 1885 and 1900 world map redone

hadaril and GustavusAdolphus1 like this.
  12. Valdemar Daae Overthinking Is What I Do Best

Sure thing. I'm working on a general Africa patch right now and I can do 1815 next.

Sithlent, Miner, Iserlohn and 3 others like this.
  13. Falecius Well-Known Member

I noticed some inaccuracies in the 18 century maps.
    Swedish Finland consistently includes Karelia which was formally lost in 1721, and Spanish Florida should border French Lousiana in 1748 map I think. Again in 1748 map, the French eastern border does not seem right. Finally, the Shetlands are depicted as Danish which is obviously incorrect.
    I could try to fix some of this myself, but I also suspect that there are several anachronisms about native states Africa (such as the Lakes kingdoms depicted as one) and Asia, which I would not not be able to deal with.

hadaril likes this.
  14. hadaril NextGen Worlda Project Lead

I’m working through all the maps right now and should be getting to the 18th century maps soon enough. I had to backtrack a few days ago after I realized some of my new India stuff was off; I still aim to have the full set of revisions up around thanksgiving.

15. hadaril NextGen Worlda Project Lead

oooo, nice! I’ll be sure to integrate them into the series once you post it!

Falecius likes this.
  16. Blicck_ New Member

ok now thats epic
    what sources did you use?

hadaril likes this.
  17. James the AH Fan Just your average alt history kid.

I'm going to start a new 1900 Worlda map!
    May take me a few days, so i'll need some help, especially with Africa.

Admiral A. Kolchak likes this.
  18. James the AH Fan Just your average alt history kid.

Here's my progress so far:
    NextGen 1900.png

19. James the AH Fan Just your average alt history kid.

Today, I present to you...
    1900: New Century, New Problems
    NextGen 1900.png

@hadaril What do you think of my map?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  20. hadaril NextGen Worlda Project Lead

Love it, especially the attention to detail in Africa! Great work. A few very minor things (which I can fix on my end quickly) - San Marino and Crimea were uncolored, but that's incredibly minor. Fantastic work! I'll add it when I do the bulk upload of all the 5.0 maps.

Admiral A. Kolchak likes this.