The NextGen OTL Worlda Series

I overlayed the US from the old worlda (2009) and the new worlda (2022).
Red is old, Blue is new and Magenta is shared.
usa new.png

So was doing a map and noticed that San Marino is shown to far South so made a quick patch for it with the borders of the EU and without;

San Marino Patch, 6.15.24.png

Question for the mappers here! I'm currently the (acting/permanent?) head of /r/AlternateHistory, AH's reddit offbranch, which is steadily starting to grow into its own thing as an all around center for alternate history on that platform. One issue we've been running into there is that they might not have access to the raw map templates and the like, which is an issue as it is causing people to go and use tools like MapChart for a lack of actual resources to work with. Would I be allowed to link to those maps from the subreddit, and allow them to be used by new mappers there? I'm not entirely sure on the "license", so to speak. I'm guessing that since they're on github that it should be okay, but I want to clear it here first, just in case I make a mistake. If no, that's alright, I'll look elsewhere for suitable materials for the subreddit's templates, no harm, no foul. If yes, I'll be sure to give all credit to you, link back to this page, and only use the links that are in the first page which lead to the originally hosted image rather than host them elsewhere.

And since I'm not entirely sure who owns Worlda, I figured I'd tag in @hadaril as the thread original poster, and @CalBear as the super-duper seasoned poster who probably knows if this issue has come up before! :D

Question for the mappers here! I'm currently the (acting/permanent?) head of /r/AlternateHistory, AH's reddit offbranch, which is steadily starting to grow into its own thing as an all around center for alternate history on that platform. One issue we've been running into there is that they might not have access to the raw map templates and the like, which is an issue as it is causing people to go and use tools like MapChart for a lack of actual resources to work with. Would I be allowed to link to those maps from the subreddit, and allow them to be used by new mappers there? I'm not entirely sure on the "license", so to speak. I'm guessing that since they're on github that it should be okay, but I want to clear it here first, just in case I make a mistake. If no, that's alright, I'll look elsewhere for suitable materials for the subreddit's templates, no harm, no foul. If yes, I'll be sure to give all credit to you, link back to this page, and only use the links that are in the first page which lead to the originally hosted image rather than host them elsewhere.
Asking for permission to use maps that were shared on the internet specifically for the purpose of community use?
No! We will not share.
These maps, they came to us. They're ours. Our own. Our precious...

I am pretty sure that you would be allowed to use the maps, but like
Just saying, the main point of those maps is having a good amount of patches, not accuracy or geographic features

Why? If it works it doesn't need fixing.
I'd argue otherwise, since WorldA needs to be fixed, it's just so that people are too used to older methods such as ignoring the issues or trying to patch random regions instead of overhauling the map. And I don't blame them, producing a truly accurate WorldA would be pain. So yeah, in the end, we are stuck with the good old WorldA we know and love :p

I'd argue otherwise, since WorldA needs to be fixed, it's just so that people are too used to older methods such as ignoring the issues or trying to patch random regions instead of overhauling the map. And I don't blame them, producing a truly accurate WorldA would be pain. So yeah, in the end, we are stuck with the good old WorldA we know and love :p

It's one of those things we deal with with lots of stuff life really, you can get a product that's super good/precise at Thing A or one that is for Thing B or Thing C, but you can't get one that's awesome at all three, rather you just look for the one that does all of them the best possible.

One area I will say I had to learn to compromise on early on was islands, namely there are quite a few islands that are way to small to be visible at the scale of Worlda but have to be shown due to them being actual sovereign (ex. Nauru) or autonomous (ex. Wake Atoll) polities or places of notable historical significance (ex. Helgoland).

Last edited:
View attachment 913596
Given there's like. Absolutely nothing in terms of Australian borders available for Worlda (as far as I am aware, at least) I thought I'd get around to making some!

I'm really sorry for not doing any colours for the Aiatsis map but I've spent a week on all of these anyway and I think it's just kinda. dumb to keep sitting on these when there's a Napoleon to map and an Aqua817 to mourn.

View attachment 913597
There's also these. I might do some other state's cadastral divisions at some point, Queensland pre-federation had a few which looked quite nice before they tripled the number in 1901.

And! Last but not least, there's this: View attachment 913599
I made this like, six months ago, and never got around to releasing (since it's a really small patch) but hey I might as well now!
England's Circuits According to the Great Survey of 1086.png
WA Patches.png
Australia Patches.png

I did say it wouldn't be 6 months until I came out with another one of these didn't I

I hope to use this one day, you should add the Congo Sea though (idk how realistic it is as a proposal but What Madness Is This? describes quite the catastrophic size....
It's also on TNO! I personally dislike the congo sea because of the implied destruction of biodiversity and human life for practically no purpose since the congo is already super wet. The seas above have a purpose on paper at least.

It's also on TNO! I personally dislike the congo sea because of the implied destruction of biodiversity and human life for practically no purpose since the congo is already super wet. The seas above have a purpose on paper at least.
Yes but having an insert would be neat (I concur destroying the Congo Rainforest is about as bad as you could ever get with environmental rape).

Yes but having an insert would be neat (I concur destroying the Congo Rainforest is about as bad as you could ever get with environmental rape).
This should be good 👍
Oh hey I made this on the proposals thread!, I was about to point this out but realized that you already linked my comment here lol, you guys are free to add in the rivers that are not included in my map!