The NextGen OTL Worlda Series

View attachment 723141 ... And here's the patch. Given it should only be 12 months from the date your map is meant to be set, i think it should be fairly easy to fix the more glaring issues.
Thank you. I incorporated as much of it as I could into my map earlier today, although using NCS colours (with both Khalat and the various minor states along the Zagros, apart from Arabistan of course, as 'Kurd or Minor Iranian') instead. Am I correct in thinking that the only territory you showed as definitely owned outright by the Zand was that single pixel slightly south from Hamadan? Given that apparent fact, the area in southern Persia (where that dynasty subsequently established a capital at Shiraz) that you labelled as "Uncertain", and my own uncertainty abut how far they would have advanced during the year or so between our maps' dates, I've simply used the Persia/Iran colour for that lone pixel & almost all of the area you classed as 'Uncertain' as well as for the Afsharids' territory -- with the 'Persia/Iran with more autonomy' shade for both sides' vassals -- and then placed an 'A' & a 'Z' respectively in the NE & the SW...
("Almost all" of that 'Uncertain' areas, you ask? Yes. I've shown Omani influence in a coastal strip around Hormuz, and also at Gwadar within Khalat's territory, as a map of "Islamic States in AD 1750" that I found elsewhere indicated.)
Where I did have trouble using your map was in the north-east, where boundaries apparently changed more drastically than the Iran/Ottoman one: As you'll see when I post the latest version of the map here, I've left [for now] a pixel-wide line in white to show where your map's edge falls...

________________________________________________________________________________________

I plan on posting that version of my 'OTL in 1749' map tomorrow, rather than today, because I've almost got the one for my own TL at the same date finished to the same extent and I want to post the two together so that people can play "Spot the difference".

Last edited:
Thank you. I incorporated as much of it as I could into my map earlier today, although using NCS colours (with both Khalat and the various minor states along the Zagros, apart from Arabistan of course, as 'Kurd or Minor Iranian') instead. Am I correct in thinking that the only territory you showed as definitely owned outright by the Zand was that single pixel slightly south from Hamadan? Given that apparent fact, the area in southern Persia (where that dynasty subsequently established a capital at Shiraz) that you labelled as "Uncertain", and my own uncertainty abut how far they would have advanced during the year or so between our maps' dates, I've simply used the Persia/Iran colour for that lone pixel & almost all of the area you classed as 'Uncertain' as well as for the Afsharids' territory -- with the 'Persia/Iran with more autonomy' shade for both sides' vassals -- and then placed an 'A' & a 'Z' respectively in the NE & the SW...
("Almost all" of that 'Uncertain' areas, you ask? Yes. I've shown Omani influence in a coastal strip around Hormuz, and also at Gwadar within Khalat's territory, as a map of "Islamic States in AD 1750" that I found elsewhere indicated.)
Where I did have trouble using your map was in the north-east, where boundaries apparently changed more drastically than the Iran/Ottoman one: As you'll see when I post the latest version of the map here, I've left [for now] a pixel-wide line in white to show where your map's edge falls...

________________________________________________________________________________________

I plan on posting that version of my 'OTL in 1749' map tomorrow, rather than today, because I've almost got the one for my own TL at the same date finished to the same extent and I want to post the two together so that people can play "Spot the difference".
oops, I'm working on some 1750s patches right now. Guess I gotta hurry that shit up then.

Continuing with my redraft of the existing map for 1748, which I've changed to 1749 so that it is after the Treaty of Aix-le-Chapelle -- which was already mentioned next to the year's number -- actually had been agreed.

1646864643536.png

Changes made since the last version that I posted here _

North America _
1. Haudenosaunee ("Iroquois") recoloured from the purple used on the original map to the fawn that is the NCS colour for 'North America. Primary Natives'.
(I've found out that that purple comes from the TACOS system, whereas I'd already announced my intention to use the NCS one instead... and, besides, having that purple between British pink & French blue makes it look rather as though those two empires are blending there: Note that some of the other colourings used in the existing map, particularly in the regions on which I've done little work so far -- i.e. Sub-Saharan Africa, and the parts of Asia between Iran, Russia, China, & Australasia -- are probably also from TACOS.)
2. An area to the south of the Haudenosauneee, claimed by British colonies but not yet settled by them and previously shown as 'terra nullius', has now been given the NCS 'North America. Secondary Natives' colour: This represents the peoples who were to become known as the "Five Civilized Tribes".

South America _
2. I had previously used that NCS 'North America. Secondary Natives' colour to show the Mapuche people of south-central Chile, who were omitted from the original map, because NCS had no colour specified for them. Now that I've used that colour in North America after all it seemed better to use a different one instead for the Mapuche... and in this case I have resorted to TACOS, because that system actually does designate a colour specifically for them.

Europe _
3. The Electorate of Hanover has been given its North Sea coast (through the 'Duchy of Bremen', which the Elector -- currently also King George II of England -- holds in a personal union) just east of Oldenburg.
4. Oldenburg, which was already shown correctly in the Danish colour (because it was held in a personal union by the King of Denmark-Norway), has had its landward borders correctly altered from 'national' to 'feudal' because despite that union it is still a member of the HRE.
5. In north-central Italy, the Duchy of Modena and the Republic of Lucca have been recoloured to NCS 'Minor North Italy' and 'Major Central Italy' respectively. Also, San Marino has been recoloured to 'Minor Central Italy'.

North Africa _
6. Algiers had renounced all loyalty to the Ottoman emperor by this date, so I've given it the 'Algeria' colour instead of the 'Ottoman vassal' one and have darkened its border with Tunis -- which is still an Ottoman vassal -- to the right shade for 'national'. Also, I've removed the "hard" border along its southern edge because my reading so far suggests that there was a certain amount of "back & forth" there...

West Africa _
7. British outpost now shown at the mouth of the River Gambia.
8. The original map featured three single-pixel entities on the shores of the 'Gold Coast, coloured on ly in white, which I'm presuming are meant to represent European trading outposts. I wasn't sure who owned the most westerly of those (although I've since checked & found it to be the French, as I'll show on this map's next iteration...), but then eastwards from there we have the Dutch 'Elmina' and the British 'Cape Coast' and I've coloured both of those accordingly. Also, continuing eastwards from those, I've added a single-pixel entity in the 'Denmark' colour to show the basic location of that country's [several] outposts in that area and then one in Portugal's shade of green for its outpost at Ouidah. (Fortunately both Sweden and Brandenburg had already given up their Gold Coast bases, so I don't have to try fitting those in as well...)

Iran & its periphery _
9. As I said a couple of posts above this, I basically used Library of Alexandria's patch for this area in 1747, but with NCS colours and with the area marked on that patch as 'Uncertain' filled in, and placed the letters 'A' & 'Z' in the areas where the Afsharid dynasty (in decline) and the Zand dynasty (rising against them to seize control) had their centres of power... but more research is needed, by somebody, to fix the north-eastern & eastern borders (where I've left a one-pixel-wide line...) where that patch ends & the original map continues.

India _
10. All that I've done here so far is to fix some of the European trading posts and, so that I don't forget one of the problems that I found, placed a splodge of the Mughals' colour in Gujerat where it seems they were at least partly still in control. The port of Cambay (shown on the earlier map as British) at the head of the 'Gulf of Cambay' is still theirs at this point, too. The port of Surat, just a [relatively] little way south of Cambay was also shown as British, but at this date actually belonged to the Mughals or some other local power and contained not only a British trading post but also (and perhaps more influentially) a Dutch one: I've recoloured that back to plain white, for now.
(A colour to show 'Plural European Nations' Trading Posts together' would be useful here.. and could also be used at, for example, the later 'Concessions' at places such as Shanghai...)
On the coast of Coromandel ("Dance they to the tunes of Handel") in south-eastern India the original map showed two trading posts adjacent to another, the southern one French (that being Pondicherry) and the northern one Dutch, with another Dutch one somewhat further south and Britain's Madras somewhat further north: Both the Dutch and the French had several trading posts each in this general area, so exactly which pixel should be in which nation's colour is -- unless we try to show ALL of them, which would take up most of the coastal strip -- arguable: Going from where I think Pondicherry's location should be shown (as that was the main French outpost there...) and the locations that Wikipedia gives for the main Dutch bases along that coast, I've removed the pixel of 'national border' that was placed between them and then re-coloured the resultant strip's three pixels from south to north as Dutch, Danish (a port called Tranquebar, which was their only base in India at this time), and then French. I haven't added any of the outposts that the French and the Dutch both possessed on the coast between Madras and Bengal, yet, or the ones that they both possessed in Bengal... and I'm not 100% certain that all five of the British outposts that the map shows in Bengal were really significant enough to show back then, either.

Ceylon _
11. I've given the Kingdom of Kandy a larger share of the island's central highlands than the original map did, to reflect what I've shown elsewhere. Also, I've recolured that nation from plain white to NCS' ''Tertiary South India'. (This colour was already in use for on of the mainland nations, too, but that country is on the other side of the peninsula & land-locked so confusion between the two seems unlikely...)

North-eastern Siberia _
12. I've altered the extent of the area shown as still controlled by the native Chukchi people rather than by the Russians, from my earlier guesstimate to the slightly larger territory shown on Library of Alexandria's patch for 'Russia 1900': This looks better-researched than my idea was, and as I doubt very much whether Russia would have given any territory back to the natives during the intervening period it's presumably valid for 1749 -- unless the Chukchi actually controlled even more land than that back then -- as well. Again, I've removed the "hard" border.

And now, here's the map modified to show my own Timeline at the same date: How many differences can you spot?.

1646864770893.png

Simon.

Last edited:
Nice update, I've been learning a lot from the discussion surrounding your project here. Regarding the Native American groups, I found a patch for the tribes in the Southeast by @Gryphon that could be useful. I'm personally attached to the indigo color for the Haudenosaunee, kind of surprised it isn't an official part of the color scheme. Maybe the primary and secondary native colors should be flipped in NCS for aesthetic reasons :p

Also, there's an "international color" used in the 1919 map for the Allied intervention in Arkhangelsk (64, 220, 238), and I've seen people use it for the Legation Cities and other territories with shared administration. Could be a good candidate for the trading posts you're looking at.

Nice update, I've been learning a lot from the discussion surrounding your project here. Regarding the Native American groups, I found a patch for the tribes in the Southeast by @Gryphon that could be useful. I'm personally attached to the indigo color for the Haudenosaunee, kind of surprised it isn't an official part of the color scheme. Maybe the primary and secondary native colors should be flipped in NCS for aesthetic reasons :p

Also, there's an "international color" used in the 1919 map for the Allied intervention in Arkhangelsk (64, 220, 238), and I've seen people use it for the Legation Cities and other territories with shared administration. Could be a good candidate for the trading posts you're looking at.
Thank you.

View attachment 725524View attachment 725525View attachment 725523View attachment 725522 And here's a set of patches for Ukraine!
I do have a few patches planned for 1750, but i don't really want to hold up map development given my shaky schedule so.
Nice. I definitely can use the 1750 one.

I'm currently interpreting what Wikipedia says about the relevant territories as _
'Sloboda Ukraine' = an administrative division of Russia, and 'Hetmanate' = vassal of Russia, both with some autonomy although that's being reduced: Colour both of them, inside appropriate borders, as alternating lines of 'Russia' & 'Russia with more autonomy', to reflect that changing status.
'Zaporozhia' = separate "nation", jointly but loosely controlled by Poland-Lithuania and Russia: Show with 'national' boundary, colour in alternating lines of 'Poland with more autonomy' & 'Russia with more autonomy'.
How does that sound?

They would have controlled significantly more land in 1749 than in 1830.
True. So, alas, that patch really isn't useable on my map after all.

I am, however, using the "International" colour that Leonidas also mentioned for the port of Surat.

Last edited:
Still working on that pair (OTL & my TL) of maps: I'll post the latest versions soon, but want to make a few more changes first which will get them as far as I can manage without some serious research. Here is a list of the changes (excluding some that apply only to the my-TL version) that I've made since the last version posted:

North America _
1. The strip of land marked as 'terra nullius' between the Haudenosaunee (i.e. "Iroquois") and their southern neighbours has been extended slightly, because this seemed likely.
(I considered giving the Haudenosaunee back their TACOS colour -- as used on the original map from which I'm developing this one -- but decided finally against doing so, after all: This was partly due to my "NCS where possible" policy, and partly because then colouring the tribes to their south in NCS 'North America. Primary Natives' could have led to those being confused for some version of 'Spanish with more autonomy' whereas using NCS 'North America. Secondary Natives' instead might have been mistaken for some version of 'Haudenosaunee with more autonomy'...)

West Indies _
2. I've corrected the colours shown for ownership of certain islands, and added coloured squares to show ownership to [or next to] some that were previously shown just as black dots: All of those that have distinct political identities IOTL today should now be marked appropriately for that year: e.g. Dutch colour added for Aruba & Bonaire (Curacao already had this); French colour added to Tobago (which I'm fairly sure is right, although that island does hold the record for "Caribbean island that changed hands the most times during the Colonial Age"...); Grenada recoloured from Spanish to French; Montserrat recoloured from French to British; Dutch & French presences on various of the Leeward Islands shown correctly (including on St Maarten/St Martin, which was split between them); Danish presence in the Virgin Islands now shown.

South America _
3. The Mapuche have been shown as having a slight extension south-eastwards from the territory that I had already marked as theirs.

South Atlantic _
4. The Falkland Islands have been recoloured from 'Spain' to 'terra nullius', although now inside a 'Spain' box to show the Spanish claim to ownership, which I consider more accurately reflects the actual situation at that date.

5. South Georgia has been recoloured from [anachronistically] 'Britain' to 'terra nullius'.

Europe _
6. The Channel Islands (previously shown just as 2 black dots, for Jersey & Guernsey which are the largest members of that group) are now marked as British: The most north-easterly pixel of pink added, extending outwards from the markings around Jersey towards the coast of the Cotentin peninsula, covers Alderney which is the 3rd-largest of those islands.
(Next time that I work on this map, I'll probably modify those markings to 'British with more autonomy' because of the actual constitutional situation: Likewise, the colouring for the Isle of Man.)

7. The microstate of 'Couto Misto' has been added, as a single pixel in '[the Iberian] Galicia with more autonomy', between Spain and northern Portugal: Arguably it wasn't really large enough to be worth showing -- and I have omitted some microstates in Italy that were possibly larger -- but it was an interesting anomaly... and I saw somebody complaining, somewhere in this forum, about its omission from another map (which is how I learned about its existence in the first place).

8. Tuscany has been recoloured from 'Bohemia' (which I had used previously because its current Grand Duke was Francis of Lorraine, King of Bohemia and Emperor of the HRE) to 'Bohemia with more autonomy' (because it's run separately from the Kingdom... and mainly because that shade's easier to distinguish from the one for 'Austria', which was in use quite close nearby for the Hapsburgs' possessions around Milan).

9. Further south in Italy, I have added the Papal States' detached section at Benevento, which forms an enclave within Neapolitan territory. There wasn't room for their other one there [i.e. Pontecorvo] as well, but that's closer to their main block of territories anyway.

10. I have modified Switzerland's northern border slightly, reflecting the fact that at this date Austria's lands in south-western Germany still included a strip running for some distance along the Rhine's southern bank.

11. I have recoloured two separate pixels in south-western Germany in the 'Austria' colour, one just north of that salient into Switzerland and the other a little bit further east, to reflect the presence of scattered Austrian territories in that part of the country.

12. Oldenburg, which was in a personal union with Denmark at this date, was already marked in Denmark's colour: I have added that colour [as a single pixel in each case] to both mainland Holstein and its island of Heligoland, which were also held by the Danes although within the HRE.

13. Sweden's remaining territory inside the HRE, i.e. the western end of Pomerania, has also been marked with a single pixel in the appropriate colour.

14. I have recoloured the 'Church'-ruled states inside the HRE from 'Papal States' to 'Papal States with more autonomy', because the Pope doesn't have any actual say in their government.

15. I have made the colour-scheme used for the HRE's other members a bit simpler. The only ones of them not belonging to the Hapsburgs, to Electors, or to foreign monarchs that are still shown in distinct colours are_
Ansbach and Bayreuth (shown in 'Prussia with more autonomy', reflecting the fact that they are ruled by cadet branches of the Hohenzollerns: More properly they should have been shown in 'Brandenburg with more autonomy', because the family lines had split already before the Margaves of Brandenburg became Dukes of Prussia as well, but that doesn't show as clearly to my eyes);
Brunswick-Wolfenbuttl (shown in 'Hanover with more autonomy', reflecting the fact that its Duke heads a separate branch -- the senior one, actually -- of the family to which the Elector of Hanover also belongs);
and those belonging to the various non-Electoral branches of the 'Palatinate' Wittelsbach dynasty (shown, like the related Electorate iself, in 'Bavaria with more autonomy' because of course the Elector of Bavaria heads another branch of the Wittelsbachs).
(The region of Thuringia is such a tangle of small states -- & detached sections of other states, too -- that I haven't tried to separate out the 'Ernestine' branch of the Wettin family's various small duchies there by recolouring those correspondingly as 'Saxony with more autonomy'.) All of All of the other states involved are then shown just as 'HRE with more autonomy'.
This replaces the older system of colouring, in which (apart from the fact that Ansbach & Bayreuth were shown anachronistically, on the 1748 map, just as 'Prussia'...) gave individual colours to five of the six secular Electoral states (i.e. Brandenburg/Prussia, Saxony, Bavaria, Hanover, and Bohemia, although in fact the latter generally is given the 'Austria' colour instead when under Hapsburg control) plus two or three of the other "important" states, while all of the others -- including those shown out of the various areas held by any branch of the 'Palatinate' Wittelsbachs --were coloured according to which part of Germany they were in.

16. I have added, as a single pixel in that basic shade for small HRE members, the Principality of Liechtenstein.

17. I have re-drawn some of the borders shown between states in the HRE, to make identifying certain territories that I'd shown in "special" colours easier, and to fix some points on which I disagreed with the choices made for the older "1748" map. This includes adding some territories that were not visible (due to border-lines being placed over them, or just due to omission) in that older map, e.g. the Duchy of Berg (part of the Palatinate Wittelsbach's lands, but in the Ruhr area) and the Bishopric of Liege respectively. Also, as the scale meant that obviously many of the borders between small states had had to be omitted anyway I have removed any shown that separated only areas that -- after my recolouring -- were both shown/all shown just in the 'HRE with more autonomy' shade.

18. I have started to add the borders between different 'Crown Lands' within the Hapsburgs' territories, although this is still a work in progress. So far I have _
Added the boundaries between the various duchies & counties that the House's head held as nominally-separate members of the HRE, i.e. Austria proper [without the modern division into 'Upper" & "Lower" halves], Styria, Carinthia, Carniola, Tyrol, 'Further Austria [which included the modern Austrian province of Voralberg, as well as those scattered lands in S-Wn. Germany], and -- grouped as a single block, for now, because otherwise that area would have to be coloured as all-borders -- their Gorizia/Trieste/Istria lands. I've just realized that the map shows them as owning ALL of Istria, but in fact part of that peninsula actually belonged to Venice instead at that date... which is a detail that I'll have to fix next time;
Added the border between those "German" lands and the territories belonging to the Crown of Bohemia (i.e. Bohemia proper, Moravia, and Silesia), with the boundaries between those three divisions as well.
Added a border between all of those territories inside the HRE and Hungary, running along the eastern side of the line already showing the HRE's eastern limits, to indicate that it is run separately from any of those territories.
Added a border between Hungary proper and Transylvania, because they were counted & run as two separate Crown Lands during this period.
Added a one-pixel area just inside Hungary's border with Poland-Lithuania that is shown in the latter's colour: This represent the area identified on some historical maps as 'Zips' or 'Szipes', a small section of Hungary (mostly inhabited by Slovaks and Germans) where an earlier monarch had "pledged" various rights to Poland-Lithuania in exchange for a substantial loan and that none of his successors had managed to reclaim.
Still to do here: boundaries between Hungary and Croatia, and also between Hungary and the Banat of Temesvar; possibly also the 'Military Frontier', although I'm not sure about the precise boundaries for that at this time... and it might be accurate enough, working at this scale, to consider those districts as covered by some of the marked border-lines anyway...
So far I'm using the 'Feudal Entities' shade for the borders between the Hapsburgs' lands in "Germany", the lands of the 'Crown of Bohemia', Hungary, and Transylvania, with the 'Normal Administrative Divisions' shade for boundaries between the various Duchies & so on in the first of these or between the three basic sections of the second. Possibly I should make those actually 'National' & 'Feudal Entities' respectively, but the situation was complicated and didn't really meet those definitions either... For the boundary between Hungary and Croatia, which were considered lands under a shared "Crown" I'll use alternating pixels of the two levels; for the Banat's boundaries I'll use the 'Feudal Entities' shade, as that was yet another separate Crown Land rather than part of either Hungary or Transylvania.

19. For the Ukraine, I have used Library of Alexandria's 1750 patch, with NCS colouring swapped -- as I explained in my previous post would be the case -- for their chosen ones and with the boundaries for administrative divisions within each of the basic territories involved removed: The two small areas shown just as 'Russia with more autonomy' are the ones that LoA labelled as "Ethnic Palatinates", where special privileges were granted to encourage settlement by outsiders such as -- for a significant example -- Serbs.

20. The easternmost end of the Kalmyk territory, at their border with the Kazakhs on the 'Yaik' [nowadays called 'Ural'] River, has been shown with an higher level of Russian settlement, because I've found out that there was already a Cossack 'horde' also living there.

Siberia _
21. The Taimyr peninsula and some adjacent areas, although claimed by Russia (& shown as such), have been recoloured from 'Russia' to 'terra nullius' instead (reflecting both the low level of Russian involvement in that region and the hostility shown towards them by the local peoples): This is basically as on some of the other Worlda OTL maps, but I have extended the area involved from those by adding part of the next peninsula west which was also inhabited by a tribe from the same group.

Arabia _

22. I have swapped-over which part of Oman is shown in the basic shade of the colour for that country and which is shown in the 'with more autonomy' shade. There were actually two rival governments at this date, each fairly well established in it own area, and a good case could be made for either of the two possible colouring arrangements... but the "maritime" regime centred on Muscat is the one with which Europeans would be more likely to have contacts, and as the 'basic' shade is darker than the 'more autonomy' one assigning it to this side of the country make's the pixel in its colouring placed at its outpost of Zanzibar more visible against the blue of the sea. The strip of Africa's mainland coast across from Zanzibar did not yet recognize that regime and so, although it probably wasn't loyal to the "interior Oman" regime either, has been left in the 'more autonomy' shade. I'm not sure about the inclusion of the Comoros within that thalassocracy, as shown on the earlier map, but have left it shown in the 'more autonomy' shade as well for now.
23. I have removed the coastal patches of Omani control that I previously placed around Hormuz [in south-central Persia] and Gwadar [in the Baluchi Khanate of Khalat], because further research has indicated that the map from which I adapted them was anticipating the fact by a few decades in each case: In fact, the "maritime" Oman has recently had to defend its independence in Oman itself against Persia, and the "interior" Oman has actually sought Persian help against it...
24. I have shown Dhofar [along the coast south-west of Oman proper] as outside of Omani control altogether, which seems to be the correct situation for this date.
25. Also, the area around & including Qatar that the earlier map showed as belonging to Oman has been corrected as belonging to a state that the earlier map omitted altogether in favour of showing its coastal areas as either Omani or -- further north -- an Ottoman vassal: This is the 'Bani Khalid Emirate'. (Note: I need to change its inland boundaries to the same shade as is already used for those of its neighbours.)

26. The territories along the western coast of Arabia that were formerly shown in one of the 'Arabia'-designated colours have been recoloured as Ottoman vassals 'with more autonomy' instead, which I think is accurate for this period (although I still need to do more research about this).

India _
27. Surat (the second northern-most single-pixel area distinguished on the west coast, just north of the Portuguese outpost of 'Daman'), which houses both a British trading post and a Dutch one, recoloured in the "International" shade of light blue that Leonidas pointed out in the post before this.

Indian Ocean _
28. The islands of Mauritius, Reunion, and Rodriguez, have been correctly recoloured from 'terra nullius' to 'France'.

Africa _

29. Changes in the Omani sphere of influence, as mentioned above.

30. Egypt was effectively outside the Ottomans' direct authority at this date, due to assertive Mamelukes, so I have recoloured it as 'Ottoman with more autonomy', However as that situation was only de facto rather than de jure I have given it a border with the Ottomans' lands in Asia that is only shaded as 'Normal Administrative Division' rather than as 'Feudal Entity'.
Also, although I need to do more research on this point, I strongly suspect that the extension of Egyptian territory shown along the western shore of the Red Sea as far south as Eritrea is seriously anachronistic & should be removed.

Still working on that pair (OTL & my TL) of maps: I'll post the latest versions soon, but want to make a few more changes first which will get them as far as I can manage without some serious research. Here is a list of the changes (excluding some that apply only to the my-TL version) that I've made since the last version posted:

North America _
1. The strip of land marked as 'terra nullius' between the Haudenosaunee (i.e. "Iroquois") and their southern neighbours has been extended slightly, because this seemed likely.
(I considered giving the Haudenosaunee back their TACOS colour -- as used on the original map from which I'm developing this one -- but decided finally against doing so, after all: This was partly due to my "NCS where possible" policy, and partly because then colouring the tribes to their south in NCS 'North America. Primary Natives' could have led to those being confused for some version of 'Spanish with more autonomy' whereas using NCS 'North America. Secondary Natives' instead might have been mistaken for some version of 'Haudenosaunee with more autonomy'...)

West Indies _
2. I've corrected the colours shown for ownership of certain islands, and added coloured squares to show ownership to [or next to] some that were previously shown just as black dots: All of those that have distinct political identities IOTL today should now be marked appropriately for that year: e.g. Dutch colour added for Aruba & Bonaire (Curacao already had this); French colour added to Tobago (which I'm fairly sure is right, although that island does hold the record for "Caribbean island that changed hands the most times during the Colonial Age"...); Grenada recoloured from Spanish to French; Montserrat recoloured from French to British; Dutch & French presences on various of the Leeward Islands shown correctly (including on St Maarten/St Martin, which was split between them); Danish presence in the Virgin Islands now shown.

South America _
3. The Mapuche have been shown as having a slight extension south-eastwards from the territory that I had already marked as theirs.

South Atlantic _
4. The Falkland Islands have been recoloured from 'Spain' to 'terra nullius', although now inside a 'Spain' box to show the Spanish claim to ownership, which I consider more accurately reflects the actual situation at that date.

5. South Georgia has been recoloured from [anachronistically] 'Britain' to 'terra nullius'.

Europe _
6. The Channel Islands (previously shown just as 2 black dots, for Jersey & Guernsey which are the largest members of that group) are now marked as British: The most north-easterly pixel of pink added, extending outwards from the markings around Jersey towards the coast of the Cotentin peninsula, covers Alderney which is the 3rd-largest of those islands.
(Next time that I work on this map, I'll probably modify those markings to 'British with more autonomy' because of the actual constitutional situation: Likewise, the colouring for the Isle of Man.)

7. The microstate of 'Couto Misto' has been added, as a single pixel in '[the Iberian] Galicia with more autonomy', between Spain and northern Portugal: Arguably it wasn't really large enough to be worth showing -- and I have omitted some microstates in Italy that were possibly larger -- but it was an interesting anomaly... and I saw somebody complaining, somewhere in this forum, about its omission from another map (which is how I learned about its existence in the first place).

8. Tuscany has been recoloured from 'Bohemia' (which I had used previously because its current Grand Duke was Francis of Lorraine, King of Bohemia and Emperor of the HRE) to 'Bohemia with more autonomy' (because it's run separately from the Kingdom... and mainly because that shade's easier to distinguish from the one for 'Austria', which was in use quite close nearby for the Hapsburgs' possessions around Milan).

9. Further south in Italy, I have added the Papal States' detached section at Benevento, which forms an enclave within Neapolitan territory. There wasn't room for their other one there [i.e. Pontecorvo] as well, but that's closer to their main block of territories anyway.

10. I have modified Switzerland's northern border slightly, reflecting the fact that at this date Austria's lands in south-western Germany still included a strip running for some distance along the Rhine's southern bank.

11. I have recoloured two separate pixels in south-western Germany in the 'Austria' colour, one just north of that salient into Switzerland and the other a little bit further east, to reflect the presence of scattered Austrian territories in that part of the country.

12. Oldenburg, which was in a personal union with Denmark at this date, was already marked in Denmark's colour: I have added that colour [as a single pixel in each case] to both mainland Holstein and its island of Heligoland, which were also held by the Danes although within the HRE.

13. Sweden's remaining territory inside the HRE, i.e. the western end of Pomerania, has also been marked with a single pixel in the appropriate colour.

14. I have recoloured the 'Church'-ruled states inside the HRE from 'Papal States' to 'Papal States with more autonomy', because the Pope doesn't have any actual say in their government.

15. I have made the colour-scheme used for the HRE's other members a bit simpler. The only ones of them not belonging to the Hapsburgs, to Electors, or to foreign monarchs that are still shown in distinct colours are_
Ansbach and Bayreuth (shown in 'Prussia with more autonomy', reflecting the fact that they are ruled by cadet branches of the Hohenzollerns: More properly they should have been shown in 'Brandenburg with more autonomy', because the family lines had split already before the Margaves of Brandenburg became Dukes of Prussia as well, but that doesn't show as clearly to my eyes);
Brunswick-Wolfenbuttl (shown in 'Hanover with more autonomy', reflecting the fact that its Duke heads a separate branch -- the senior one, actually -- of the family to which the Elector of Hanover also belongs);
and those belonging to the various non-Electoral branches of the 'Palatinate' Wittelsbach dynasty (shown, like the related Electorate iself, in 'Bavaria with more autonomy' because of course the Elector of Bavaria heads another branch of the Wittelsbachs).
(The region of Thuringia is such a tangle of small states -- & detached sections of other states, too -- that I haven't tried to separate out the 'Ernestine' branch of the Wettin family's various small duchies there by recolouring those correspondingly as 'Saxony with more autonomy'.) All of All of the other states involved are then shown just as 'HRE with more autonomy'.
This replaces the older system of colouring, in which (apart from the fact that Ansbach & Bayreuth were shown anachronistically, on the 1748 map, just as 'Prussia'...) gave individual colours to five of the six secular Electoral states (i.e. Brandenburg/Prussia, Saxony, Bavaria, Hanover, and Bohemia, although in fact the latter generally is given the 'Austria' colour instead when under Hapsburg control) plus two or three of the other "important" states, while all of the others -- including those shown out of the various areas held by any branch of the 'Palatinate' Wittelsbachs --were coloured according to which part of Germany they were in.

16. I have added, as a single pixel in that basic shade for small HRE members, the Principality of Liechtenstein.

17. I have re-drawn some of the borders shown between states in the HRE, to make identifying certain territories that I'd shown in "special" colours easier, and to fix some points on which I disagreed with the choices made for the older "1748" map. This includes adding some territories that were not visible (due to border-lines being placed over them, or just due to omission) in that older map, e.g. the Duchy of Berg (part of the Palatinate Wittelsbach's lands, but in the Ruhr area) and the Bishopric of Liege respectively. Also, as the scale meant that obviously many of the borders between small states had had to be omitted anyway I have removed any shown that separated only areas that -- after my recolouring -- were both shown/all shown just in the 'HRE with more autonomy' shade.

18. I have started to add the borders between different 'Crown Lands' within the Hapsburgs' territories, although this is still a work in progress. So far I have _
Added the boundaries between the various duchies & counties that the House's head held as nominally-separate members of the HRE, i.e. Austria proper [without the modern division into 'Upper" & "Lower" halves], Styria, Carinthia, Carniola, Tyrol, 'Further Austria [which included the modern Austrian province of Voralberg, as well as those scattered lands in S-Wn. Germany], and -- grouped as a single block, for now, because otherwise that area would have to be coloured as all-borders -- their Gorizia/Trieste/Istria lands. I've just realized that the map shows them as owning ALL of Istria, but in fact part of that peninsula actually belonged to Venice instead at that date... which is a detail that I'll have to fix next time;
Added the border between those "German" lands and the territories belonging to the Crown of Bohemia (i.e. Bohemia proper, Moravia, and Silesia), with the boundaries between those three divisions as well.
Added a border between all of those territories inside the HRE and Hungary, running along the eastern side of the line already showing the HRE's eastern limits, to indicate that it is run separately from any of those territories.
Added a border between Hungary proper and Transylvania, because they were counted & run as two separate Crown Lands during this period.
Added a one-pixel area just inside Hungary's border with Poland-Lithuania that is shown in the latter's colour: This represent the area identified on some historical maps as 'Zips' or 'Szipes', a small section of Hungary (mostly inhabited by Slovaks and Germans) where an earlier monarch had "pledged" various rights to Poland-Lithuania in exchange for a substantial loan and that none of his successors had managed to reclaim.
Still to do here: boundaries between Hungary and Croatia, and also between Hungary and the Banat of Temesvar; possibly also the 'Military Frontier', although I'm not sure about the precise boundaries for that at this time... and it might be accurate enough, working at this scale, to consider those districts as covered by some of the marked border-lines anyway...
So far I'm using the 'Feudal Entities' shade for the borders between the Hapsburgs' lands in "Germany", the lands of the 'Crown of Bohemia', Hungary, and Transylvania, with the 'Normal Administrative Divisions' shade for boundaries between the various Duchies & so on in the first of these or between the three basic sections of the second. Possibly I should make those actually 'National' & 'Feudal Entities' respectively, but the situation was complicated and didn't really meet those definitions either... For the boundary between Hungary and Croatia, which were considered lands under a shared "Crown" I'll use alternating pixels of the two levels; for the Banat's boundaries I'll use the 'Feudal Entities' shade, as that was yet another separate Crown Land rather than part of either Hungary or Transylvania.

19. For the Ukraine, I have used Library of Alexandria's 1750 patch, with NCS colouring swapped -- as I explained in my previous post would be the case -- for their chosen ones and with the boundaries for administrative divisions within each of the basic territories involved removed: The two small areas shown just as 'Russia with more autonomy' are the ones that LoA labelled as "Ethnic Palatinates", where special privileges were granted to encourage settlement by outsiders such as -- for a significant example -- Serbs.

20. The easternmost end of the Kalmyk territory, at their border with the Kazakhs on the 'Yaik' [nowadays called 'Ural'] River, has been shown with an higher level of Russian settlement, because I've found out that there was already a Cossack 'horde' also living there.

Siberia _
21. The Taimyr peninsula and some adjacent areas, although claimed by Russia (& shown as such), have been recoloured from 'Russia' to 'terra nullius' instead (reflecting both the low level of Russian involvement in that region and the hostility shown towards them by the local peoples): This is basically as on some of the other Worlda OTL maps, but I have extended the area involved from those by adding part of the next peninsula west which was also inhabited by a tribe from the same group.

Arabia _

22. I have swapped-over which part of Oman is shown in the basic shade of the colour for that country and which is shown in the 'with more autonomy' shade. There were actually two rival governments at this date, each fairly well established in it own area, and a good case could be made for either of the two possible colouring arrangements... but the "maritime" regime centred on Muscat is the one with which Europeans would be more likely to have contacts, and as the 'basic' shade is darker than the 'more autonomy' one assigning it to this side of the country make's the pixel in its colouring placed at its outpost of Zanzibar more visible against the blue of the sea. The strip of Africa's mainland coast across from Zanzibar did not yet recognize that regime and so, although it probably wasn't loyal to the "interior Oman" regime either, has been left in the 'more autonomy' shade. I'm not sure about the inclusion of the Comoros within that thalassocracy, as shown on the earlier map, but have left it shown in the 'more autonomy' shade as well for now.
23. I have removed the coastal patches of Omani control that I previously placed around Hormuz [in south-central Persia] and Gwadar [in the Baluchi Khanate of Khalat], because further research has indicated that the map from which I adapted them was anticipating the fact by a few decades in each case: In fact, the "maritime" Oman has recently had to defend its independence in Oman itself against Persia, and the "interior" Oman has actually sought Persian help against it...
24. I have shown Dhofar [along the coast south-west of Oman proper] as outside of Omani control altogether, which seems to be the correct situation for this date.
25. Also, the area around & including Qatar that the earlier map showed as belonging to Oman has been corrected as belonging to a state that the earlier map omitted altogether in favour of showing its coastal areas as either Omani or -- further north -- an Ottoman vassal: This is the 'Bani Khalid Emirate'. (Note: I need to change its inland boundaries to the same shade as is already used for those of its neighbours.)

26. The territories along the western coast of Arabia that were formerly shown in one of the 'Arabia'-designated colours have been recoloured as Ottoman vassals 'with more autonomy' instead, which I think is accurate for this period (although I still need to do more research about this).

India _
27. Surat (the second northern-most single-pixel area distinguished on the west coast, just north of the Portuguese outpost of 'Daman'), which houses both a British trading post and a Dutch one, recoloured in the "International" shade of light blue that Leonidas pointed out in the post before this.

Indian Ocean _
28. The islands of Mauritius, Reunion, and Rodriguez, have been correctly recoloured from 'terra nullius' to 'France'.

Africa _

29. Changes in the Omani sphere of influence, as mentioned above.

30. Egypt was effectively outside the Ottomans' direct authority at this date, due to assertive Mamelukes, so I have recoloured it as 'Ottoman with more autonomy', However as that situation was only de facto rather than de jure I have given it a border with the Ottomans' lands in Asia that is only shaded as 'Normal Administrative Division' rather than as 'Feudal Entity'.
Also, although I need to do more research on this point, I strongly suspect that the extension of Egyptian territory shown along the western shore of the Red Sea as far south as Eritrea is seriously anachronistic & should be removed.
I've recently found a HGIS file for the Spanish Americas under the Bourbons, but it's a complete pain in the arse to set up so it might take forever.
Luckily, what it does mean is that I can make patches for pretty much every year Spanish America existed after like 1715, which should be great for improving the detail of the Worlda.

I managed to do a bit more work on this pair of maps this afternoon, which included fixing the various details that I mentioned in my last progress report as still necessary _
Colour for the Channel Islands & the Isle of Man changed from 'Britain' to 'Britain with more autonomy';
Southern end of the Istrian peninsula shown as Venetian rather than as Austrian;
Boundary between Croatia and Hungary added, by copying it from another Worlda map;
Boundaries between the Banat of Temesvar and the other Hapsburg lands added, hand-drawn by me with reference to a non-Worlda map that I found via Wikipedia: I'm not entirely happy with that result, so far, and will have another got at it before posting the map again;
Boundaries for the Bani Khalid emirate changed... I've removed the most of the inland "hard" borders that I'd previously shown for that state, as well as all of those for its "first Saudi state" neighbour, because their competition for influence over the less organised tribes around them means that there wouldn't have been "hard" borders in those directions;
Some research done into the state of Ottoman control along the Red Sea coasts south of Egypt & Palestine, and the results of this added to the map:. There is an Ottoman governor in the port-city of Jeddah, in the Hejaz, who supposedly runs the entire area but whose actual influence is very limited (I've shown Jeddah as 'Ottoman', Hejaz as alternating lines of 'Ottomans with more autonomy' & -- for the Sharif of Mecca, whose authority there actually exceeds the governor's -- 'Primary Arabia' *), there might also be an Ottoman outpost at Massawa, in Eritrea, which I've shown for now as a single pixel in the basic 'Ottomans' colour but without boundaries marked-out; the rest of the African coast from the southern end of Egypt proper down through Eritrea probably owes only token obedience -- if that -- to the Ottomans, which I've shown by using the 'Ottomans with secondary autonomy' shade because simply placing Ottoman claim lines there would fill the entire strip & thus give the wrong impression; and the two inland states at the southern end of this that were shown as Ottoman vassals on the earlier '1748' map are actually independent (if they've even formed by this date, which is something that I still don't know...).

Additionally _
I've double-checked some of the changes that I'd already made for the ownership of islands in the West Indies, to quell nagging doubts about one or two points (which it turned out did not need re-fixing);
I've used another patch by Library of Alexandria, in this case for the Barbary" state of Algiers & its hinterland, recoloured as necessary to fit NCS;
As I mentioned in on of my earlier posts here, I wasn't happy about the choice of "appropriate" colours for showing Malta under the rule of the Knights: I had settled on 'Crusader State' [which is also the 'Lebanon' colour], due to the Knights' origins, but that's a pale shade that doesn't show very clearly (to me, at least) when it's just a ingle pixel set on the pale blue used for seas and that possibly could be mistaken for a variant of the one that I'm using for both Sicily & Naples (which is 'Spain with more autonomy')... I've now replaced it with 'Sicily with more autonomy', given that the Knights nominally held those islands from the Kings of Sicily (according to one source with which I'm familiar, for the token rent of one falcon per year... ;)) and that -- as just mentioned -- I'm not using the 'Sicily' colour for Sicily so there' less scope for confusion;
And I've added some extra details to the version of the map that's for my own [planned] Timeline rather than IOTL, in addition to all of those other changes, as well.

Last edited:
And now _
Banat of Temesvar's boundaries with other Hapsburg lands redrawn.
The rest of the main French or Dutch outposts in India added.
Four of the five single-pixel enclaves already shown within Bengal recoloured from 'Britain' to 'International', because the Dutch also had trading posts at all of those settlements.
Borders removed from around those four sites, and from around Surat as well, because although both the British & the Dutch owned premises at each of them the actual native settlements around those premises were still owned & controlled by the native governments of Bengal & Gujarat respectively.
Extent of remaining Mughal control in Gujarat extended eastwards from the area previously shown, to include the port of Cambay & its environs, but without a hard border shown because the situation on the ground was probably too fluid for one to be defined.
Borders & colouring adjusted for the Hejaz, Beni Khalid, & "First Saudi State".
A few borders modified adjusted by a pixel or two, or with a pixel or two added where those previously had been omitted from where they should have been (although I did have to leave one pixel of 'HRE outer boundary' still omitted on the Imperial side of the 'national' border between the HRE and Switzerland, in order to fit Liechtenstein visibly into the map...).

Here we are _

1647555988435.png

Minor details still to fix, that don't need major research _
Heligoland should have a "HRE" boundary-line around it, where appropriate, to show that although in the 'Denmark' colour it isn't actually part of Denmark proper.
Boundary between Jeddah & the rest of the Hejaz should be 'Normal Administrative Units' rather than 'Feudal Entities'.
Portuguese outpost of Salsette Island [Silvassa] should be shown attached to Britain's territory at Bombay [Mumbai].

Remember what I said previously about treating all of the various 'Crownlands' that the Hapsburgs control within the HRE's 'Germany' part together as a single 'Feudal Entity' with its divisions as 'Normal Administrative Units', rather than as a set of 'Feudal Entities' that -- as the de jure situation was in theory -- are held together only by personal unions? Here's my justification: The Hapsburgs were assigned only one vote in the Imperial Diet's 'College of Princes' for all of them combined, as 'Archduke of Austria', rather than the four+ votes that they should have had if those territories really were considered as separate entities... whereas, by comparison, the Elector Hanover (Duke of Brunswick-Luneburg) and the Elector [Margarve] of Brandenburg each received five+ votes there for various duchies & principalities that aren't even marked out separately on this thread's Worlda maps in general anyway...

I'm going to post the corresponding version of this map that's for my own Timeline in the 'WIP Maps thread', with this one for comparison and a "Spot the differences" request to readers. I'll place a link to that post here, once that's ready, so that you can see and -- will, I hope, comment on -- those differences.
EDIT: and here that link is _ https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/wip-map-thread.418282/page-285#post-22945893

Last edited:
Minor details still to fix, that don't need major research _
Heligoland should have a "HRE" boundary-line around it, where appropriate, to show that although in the 'Denmark' colour it isn't actually part of Denmark proper.
Boundary between Jeddah & the rest of the Hejaz should be 'Normal Administrative Units' rather than 'Feudal Entities'.
Portuguese outpost of Salsette Island [Silvassa] should be shown attached to Britain's territory at Bombay [Mumbai].
Those details have now been fixed.

I forgot to say, last time, that -- as you might have noticed, anyway -- I had reduced the level of Japanese control shown over Hokkaido. The southern tip of that island is held by the Matsumae Clan, whose daimyo has more rights than those of the other Clans because of their "marcher" role and that area is therefore been shown now in the shade for 'Japan with more autonomy', but they have only limited control over the Ainu who occupy the rest of the island whom I have therefore shown -- as I already had done for their relatives in the Kurile Islands & on southern Sakhalin -- in the 'Japan with secondary autonomy' shade instead. The division currently used between those two shades there is, I admit, only a guesstimate.

Additionally, I have now _
Fixed a couple more places where 'coastline' pixels hadn't been marked as such & where there was enough room to do this without obliterating their owners' colours.
Considerably reduced the extent shown for Danish control on Greenland which , like some of the other details about which I've commented, was anachronistically shown as would have been appropriate for some later date instead. In 1749 the Danes had only been sending missions there for just over twenty years, and their effective control over that landmass was limited to part of its south-west: I have left only some "claim" lines outside of this, removed the "hard" borders inland, and even then probably been too generous to them...
Separated the Sultanate of Lahej, in south-eastern Arabia, from Yemen: That was quite a recent development in 1749, but then lasted through until & during British rule in the area (Lahej being the state from which we obtained Aden). This new state is now coloured in NCS 'Secondary Yemen'.
Given their proper NCS colours to Georgia and to the area north of that which is occupied by "Misc. North Caucasus" peoples.
Given the Sultanate of Johor, which is based in Malaya, the section of Sumatra that Wikipedia says it controlled during this period.

Some minor grumbles about NCS _
Its lack of colours for any specific Native American peoples, or even for any types of South American ones in general apart from those of the Amazon.
Its apparent lack of a specific colour for independent Ceylon/Sri Lanka: I see that the 2020 map uses the 'Primary Decanni State' colour there, but this seems less appropriate for time-periods when there are actual Decanni states as well...
Its lack of any 'Buddhist Indian State' colours, which of course -- as well as having potential ATL uses -- could reasonably be used for Sinhalese-dominated Ceylon e.g. the OTL historical Kingdom of Kandy.

A couple of questions about NCS _
1. What colour would you suggest for 'Independent Corsica', which is another possibility that NCS apparently fails to consider? I don't don't see an obvious one here... and TACOS simply says to use the same colour as for Genoa, but that wouldn't be very appropriate when Corsica's independence had been won from Genoa and/or Genoa itself was still a state and so also using that colour...
2. Is there a generally-accepted colour scheme, presumably derived from NCS, for use on maps showing the predominant religious beliefs (and/or rulers' religious beliefs) of areas? if not, then I already have some ideas for developing one, so might any of you be interested in seeing this?

1. What colour would you suggest for 'Independent Corsica', which is another possibility that NCS apparently fails to consider? I don't don't see an obvious one here... and TACOS simply says to use the same colour as for Genoa, but that wouldn't be very appropriate when Corsica's independence had been won from Genoa and/or Genoa itself was still a state and so also using that colour...
wasn't expecting to see a reference to TACOS this far down the line XD god, that was a long time ago

i'm not familiar enough with NCS_ to know if this would help--been out of the mapmaking game too long and i've been using older color schemes for placeholders in what i have worked on--but i set up fallow as a Corsican color for a TL-specific color scheme that i've been developing (it doesn't have especially much meaning--this particular color scheme is deliberately extremely different from the UCS basis)