The next "Princess Royal"

Sorry for the weird hypothetical, but I'm curious:

The title of "Princess Royal" is conferred on the eldest daughter of the reigning monarch. Not automatically, but eventually. There have been 7, and the current one is Princess Anne, Charles's sister.

Okay... Let's say Charles and Diana had a daughter (b. ~1988). Let's call her Princess Charlotte because it sounds pretty.

Diana dies as usual in 1997.

But let's also say some lunatic assassinated the queen's 4 children all at once (maybe 2006). Perhaps during a public procession. Charles never gets the chance to be king.

Would his daughter later be granted the title "Princess Royal" some time after the death of her Aunt Anne?

But since Charles never sits on the throne... is his surviving daughter even eligible for the title "Princess Royal" at all? Or would it skip her and land on William's (possible) baby girl?

I know it's an odd question of title endowment, but if such a conundrum happened like that, who would eventually get the title? The late-future-king's daughter? Or the possible daughter of William?

PhilippeO

Banned
Princess Royal is granted by monarch, not automatically.

in this case (Charles assassinated before become King), the King William who have power to make decision, it is much more likely he grant it to his own daughter, but its possible he grant it to his sister.

Alright, fair enough, but my next question is...

Why is there a seeming delay?

I know it's a title bestowed, not a title owed, but why did Anne not receive it until she was 37?

Alright, fair enough, but my next question is...

Why is there a seeming delay?

I know it's a title bestowed, not a title owed, but why did Anne not receive it until she was 37?

Elizabeth II has always been somewhat slow to hand out rewards to her family. Her younger sons (and Anne) did not receive the Garter until they reached were in their 40s. Obviously the Prince of Wales received it sooner as it would not be appropriate for his mother to die and he become Sovereign of an Order, he was not a member of.

It is in contrast to many European royal houses, who bestow the senior Orders on members of the royal family at achieving majority.

I believe there was some gossip at the time Anne was made Princess Royal that she was a bit irritated by the attention that Diana and Sarah Ferguson were getting, which resulted in her charitable endeavors being ignored by the media. It could have been the Queen's way of placating her daughter.

Elizabeth II has always been somewhat slow to hand out rewards to her family. Her younger sons (and Anne) did not receive the Garter until they reached were in their 40s. Obviously the Prince of Wales received it sooner as it would not be appropriate for his mother to die and he become Sovereign of an Order, he was not a member of.

It is in contrast to many European royal houses, who bestow the senior Orders on members of the royal family at achieving majority.

I believe there was some gossip at the time Anne was made Princess Royal that she was a bit irritated by the attention that Diana and Sarah Ferguson were getting, which resulted in her charitable endeavors being ignored by the media. It could have been the Queen's way of placating her daughter.

That's ridiculous.

The last Princess Royal died when Anne was about 15. It should have been given to her then. It's a style for the oldest daughter, not an award for services rendered, of which Anne has done plenty anyway.

You know... despite the fact Lizzy never asked for the job she now has, I think it's almost hypocritical that she should make family members wait years until they're middle aged before handing out certain "awards" (some of which really should be automatic), when she herself became QUEEN of an EMPIRE at the young age of 27.

As far as the title of "Princess Royal," of the six women who held it before Anne, it looks like the last two were in their mid 30's as well, but only because they were both waiting for the previous one to die before gaining the title. The other four seem to have been awarded the title some time between birth and age 23-ish.

???
Perhaps in another universe, if Anne were to die in some horse-riding accident (a good possibility) just a week or two before being granted the title of "Princess Royal" in 1987, PERHAPS then the Queen might feel enough remorse at waiting 22 years to give her daughter the title to consider either making the title inherited automatically upon the death of a previous princess royal or the birth of an eligible girl in the absence of a present princess royal, or even bestowing it on the aforementioned fictional "Princess Charlotte"? Her father would be king one day after all, so why not?

One other thing... I'm curious as to the WHY the queen is so stingy with gifts/titles for her family. She's been reported to have mellowed out as a grandmother, but her relationship with her children seems very strained, even with the likes of Anne who doesn't seem to have really done anything to merit the queen's disapproval. In fact, Anne has frequently been described as a "workhorse" for the royal family.

Sideways

Donor
That's ridiculous.

The last Princess Royal died when Anne was about 15. It should have been given to her then.

Should doesn't signify. It's just how it is.

I doubt she'd change it even if the current Princess Royal dies. It must be kind of useful to have titles to hold over people as incentives for good behaviour.

I have trouble imagining that the queen would change how the title is awarded. She's not going to sign away her powers without compulsion, and this issue is not big enough for parliament to force the issue.

Maybe if Charles was monarch and unpopular, and his daughter Charlotte was very popular but didn't get on with him, a Prime Minister may strongly lean on Charles to appoint his daughter as Princess Royal. This could set a precedent that titles are doled out at set times.

In your first scenario, the daughter of William would be too young to take the title right away. I think Charlotte would get awarded the title Princes Royal out of respect. Maybe William's daughter would also get the title (there's no reason not to have two, that I can see) if not, there are lots of spare titles the monarchy has for this. If I was William I'd be tempted to make her Duchess of Cambridge when she marries. Inheriting her father's title is a mark of respect, without changing protocol.

One other thing... I'm curious as to the WHY the queen is so stingy with gifts/titles for her family. She's been reported to have mellowed out as a grandmother, but her relationship with her children seems very strained, even with the likes of Anne who doesn't seem to have really done anything to merit the queen's disapproval. In fact, Anne has frequently been described as a "workhorse" for the royal family.

I think it's because the Queen is extremely conscious that the position of the monarchy at the end of the day rests on popular approval and she doesn't want to do anything that would jeopardise that - such as appearing privileged and out of touch by handing out dukedoms to all and sundry. It's probably not a coincidence that when she does hand out titles to her family it's usually connected to another event (such as a wedding) that will distract attention.

Thank you one and all for the info.

I have a slightly off-topic question though...

Was there any significance regarding the date the queen chose to award Anne the title of "Princess Royal"?

It was the 13th of June, 1987. It's not Anne's birthday, or the anniversary of anything specifically relating to Anne.

It looks like it was the annual Trooping of the Colour event.

Does the queen usually give awards/honours that day, or isn't that reserved for the New Year's honours list?

Last edited:
Thank you one and all for the info.

I have a slightly off-topic question though...

Was there any significance regarding the date the queen chose to award Anne the title of "Princess Royal"?

It was the 13th of June, 1987. It's not Anne's birthday, or the anniversary of anything specifically relating to Anne.

It looks like it was the annual Trooping of the Colour event.

Does the queen usually give awards/honours that day, or isn't that reserved for the New Year's honours list?

Trooping the Colour marks the Queen's official birthday each year. It is always held in June. It is common for Her Majesty to give honours to her subjects on the occasion of her birthday and the New Year.

That's ridiculous.

The last Princess Royal died when Anne was about 15. It should have been given to her then. It's a style for the oldest daughter, not an award for services rendered, of which Anne has done plenty anyway.

You know... despite the fact Lizzy never asked for the job she now has, I think it's almost hypocritical that she should make family members wait years until they're middle aged before handing out certain "awards" (some of which really should be automatic), when she herself became QUEEN of an EMPIRE at the young age of 27.

As far as the title of "Princess Royal," of the six women who held it before Anne, it looks like the last two were in their mid 30's as well, but only because they were both waiting for the previous one to die before gaining the title. The other four seem to have been awarded the title some time between birth and age 23-ish.

???
Perhaps in another universe, if Anne were to die in some horse-riding accident (a good possibility) just a week or two before being granted the title of "Princess Royal" in 1987, PERHAPS then the Queen might feel enough remorse at waiting 22 years to give her daughter the title to consider either making the title inherited automatically upon the death of a previous princess royal or the birth of an eligible girl in the absence of a present princess royal, or even bestowing it on the aforementioned fictional "Princess Charlotte"? Her father would be king one day after all, so why not?

The Queen's relationship with her younger children has always been reported to be from good to excellent. The only one she has had difficulty with has been the Prince of Wales.

I agree with others that the Queen has tried to ration out the honours she gives to her family. For example the Duke of Edinburgh is now the longest serving consort in British history. Yet only for his 90th birthday was he made Lord High Admiral of the Fleet. Of course the Queen could have done it back in 1952, she could have thrown every honour available at her family from the outset but she has done it gradually, at times when receiving such honours do not cause any public criticism.

When Princess Anne was made Princess Royal, she had become one of the most respected members of the Royal Family. Everyone agreed she had earned it. There was no negative comment. Had she been given the title when she turned 18, there might have been grumbles.

The title Princess Royal is not automatic and has no special privileges attached to it.

I think it's because the Queen is extremely conscious that the position of the monarchy at the end of the day rests on popular approval and she doesn't want to do anything that would jeopardise that - such as appearing privileged and out of touch by handing out dukedoms to all and sundry. It's probably not a coincidence that when she does hand out titles to her family it's usually connected to another event (such as a wedding) that will distract attention.

and also why she has happily accepted that the lower ranked grandchildren have none princely styles (i.e. Lady Louise Windsor and James, Viscount Severn and Peter Phillips and Zara Tindall (nee Phillips)...