The New Way: A British Political TL

I. Introduction.
"Looking back now its amazing that it got off the ground. There were so many egos in that groups with so many agendas. They may have been all smiles in public but in private it was like a bear pit."

"They hated
each other with a passion. But they hated the rest more and it was that hate and a desire to stick it to the rest that was the glue that held them together"

"Did you resent not getting the leadership"
"Yes, I did I had given up everything and that was my reward"

II. Planting the Seeds
"The Referendum of 1975 breached political barriers in a way that only war had previously done so. The sight of Labour, Conservatives and Liberals sitting together to urge a yes vote was one of the most extraordinary moments of post-war history. We didn't know it then but that was the genesis of the New Democrats"

(John Cole, 1995)

"Roy was very much the lynchpin of what happened. He was one of a rare breed, a politician that actually persuaded people instead of haranguing them. It's true he wasn't an orator like Michael Foot or a firebrand like Enoch Powell but he was wonderful in engaging the public"

(Shirley Williams)

"I've often been asked 'where were you when you found that the UK had voted to leave the EEC'? For me I was at the offices of the Observer where I had been watching the coverage on BBC1. Results were a lot slower coming in then but by about 4.30 am on the morning of the 6th of June it was clear to me and to everyone in the UK that we were witnessing the greatest political shift since the Labour landslide of 1945.

I'll never forget the look on the face of Donald Trelford the editor as David Dimbleby confirmed that we had left. He turned to me and with the colour drained from his face said simply:

'we're fucked'

(John Cole)