The NEW Our TimeLine Maps Thread!

Thande

Donor
Decided to put this in this section as I tend to think of it as 'the one with the Map threads'...

I've made a series of maps showing our own world throughout history - so far I've only gone back as far as 1800 - for the purposes being templates that everyone can use. Say, if you have a TL with a POD in 1914 (such as no WW1 or a different one), you can use my 1914 map as a starting point for any maps you make of the eventual result of that POD.

I've made great use of the D.K. Atlas of World History, which helpfully provides world maps of 1800, 1850, 1900 and so on.

Obviously there are some areas open to dispute, e.g. what constitutes a sphere of influence. I welcome any comments about any mistakes I may have made.

To begin with, here is the colour scheme that I have used all the way through, this being about the maximum number of colours I think you can use in GIF format before they start to look too similar. Which countries I have applied colours to is somewhat arbitrary and based on the fact that these maps mostly covers the age of European empires. If I go back any further I'd probably need distinct colours for Persia and...

Anyway, to begin with, here is the key (or legend as the Americans would have it), showing the colour scheme:

Key.gif

Thande

Donor
Here's a map for 1850 (I could do with doing one for 1861 for those working from American Civil War PODs, come to think of it)...

A-1850.gif

Thande

Donor
@Imajin: Tlingit. My 1800 source materials consider that an independent state, though personally I know little about it.

Here is 1939:

A-1939.gif

Thande

Donor
This is supposed to be around January 1942, though some of the fronts are a little debatable.

A-1942.gif

Hmm, how about for before and after the seven years war?:) Also, how about a Napoleon at his height, and then one for 1814?

Ooo, and one for the Congress of Berlin...

(sorry just trying to think of all of the major border changes...)

Vewwy vewwy nice. :D

But is there anyway you could make the 2006 one more detailed, including alliances and the like?

Thande

Donor
Diamond said:
You know what, Thande? You rock.
Great resource.

*Blushes*

Othniel said:
Hmm, how about for before and after the seven years war? Also, how about a Napoleon at his height, and then one for 1814?

Ooo, and one for the Congress of Berlin...

(sorry just trying to think of all of the major border changes...)

Those are all great ideas...I could certainly do one for 1750 because I have a base map to work from, but the 7 years' war would bit a wee bit trickier...I'd need more information.

Imajin said:
But I wonder, how come the "British Dominions" color dissapears?

Canada, Australia etc. are still technically Dominions, but today that means diddley squat in real terms. I've arbitrarily picked about 1970 as the time when this state of affairs came about...when was that brouhaha with the dismissal of the Australian government?

Luakel said:
Vewwy vewwy nice.

But is there anyway you could make the 2006 one more detailed, including alliances and the like?

What sort of alliances? Realpolitick stuff like US-UK, or economic and related parterships like the EU and ASEAN?

Thande said:
Groovy 1975 here:
Very nice work.

Some nitpicking: I rather thought that Pol Pot's Cambodia and Albania in this year were Chinese allies, not Sovjet ones.

Spain had already given up its bits of Morocco proper by this time (the north in 1956 and the other bit in the '60's)

And didn't the Portuguese colonies get their independence in 1974? So why is Guinee-Bissao marked as independent and Angola and Mozambique not?

And why don't both Koreas and Japan not boast white borders in the 1950 map?
West New Guinea was still Dutch in 1950 (didn't become Indonesian until 1963)

Last edited:
Thande said:
This is supposed to be around January 1942, though some of the fronts are a little debatable.
Um, the British invaded Madagascar only in the middle of 1942, so in January the island should still de marked as adhering to Vichy. IIRC the same goes for French Guyana. Also in Indo-China was still de jure Vichy.

I believe Egypt was de jure as independent in 1939 as in 1942.

I should leave out the stripes in the Sudan. The Egyptian part of the Anglo-Egyptian Sudan had never any real meaning.

Didn't the US occupation of the Dominican Republic cease before 1939?

Thande said:
Millions of dead people later, this is 1925:
Did the US ever formally annex Haiti, Honduras or Nicaragua?

I think Ecuador should be as big in 1939 as it was in 1925.

Last edited:
Thande said:
This one depicts 1901:
I don't think Korea was already (de jure) Japanese in this year.

Shouldn't the Boer Republics get British stippling?

Thande said:
Here's a map for 1850 (I could do with doing one for 1861 for those working from American Civil War PODs, come to think of it)....

Ottoman control over Tunisia, Egypt, Serbia and Romania by this time was purely nominal though. In 1800 the extent of actual Ottoman control was even more limited.

Something similar goes for the Dutch East Indies. In the eastern half of the archipelago Batavia controlled some outposts but authority over the bulk of these islands was purely nominal until ca.1900. And the the extent of effective control over Borneo and Sumatra was only a little better.

Didn't Toussaint L'Ouverture (in the name of France) rule the present-day Dominican Republic as well in 1800?

Last edited: