The New Order: Last Days of Europe - An Axis Victory Cold War Mod for HoIIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another thing; the current big name Russian paths are naturally the nasty ones.

In this case, Tabby (Taboritsky) and Serov, the latter on the subreddit for 'NazBol gang.' Everyone forgot about Omsk and Hyperborea for the time being. Tabby is being brought up in the community to the point where 'Tabbymania' is used to describe it.

Otherwise, everyone has their own favorite morally good unifier. Mine's Men currently in terms of what he creates, but it's definitely a harder game than a West Russian unifier. So I'd think it'd be Zhukovist WRRF for Russia (it was a tad more fleshed out compared to liberal Vyatka), and Men for Siberia in terms of 'good' favorites.

Last edited:
Men is great for people writing stories in the TNOverse because it allows you to keep most of the wholesome leaders alive and politically relevant, since Men’s Russia is the most decentralized one, and, given what happens to Sablin, he gives defeated warlords he views as good people to keep ruling their areas as governors.

Men is great for people writing stories in the TNOverse because it allows you to keep most of the wholesome leaders alive and politically relevant, since Men’s Russia is the most decentralized one, and, given what happens to Sablin, he gives defeated warlords he views as good people to keep ruling their areas as governors.

A teaser for my future posting of Men events and stuff that I enjoyed about it. Let's just say Sablin will now feel more comfortable in Bible Study sessions.

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 4.23.48 PM.png

Last edited:
Ultimately the Divine Mandate path is wish fulfillment for Christian Democrats, in the same way Sablin's path is wish fulfillment for leftists.

Or in the same way the Go4 path is wish fulfillment for us Germans, in that it's the "the Federal Republic shall have its revenge on the multiverse" path.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. This isn't WH40K after all.

chankljp

Donor
Andrey Sakharov rolls his eyes as Tomsk scientists argue with imported Komi ex-visionaries and Sverdelovsk martial-technocrats. We hear only the musical theme as they point and gesture and bicker over a blackboard with a four-line equation. Only Sakharov notices as a professor who wears antiquated Bukharin-era university clothes lambasts his peers, distracted while his young student from Irkutsk sneaks away to lift a chalk and finish the equation behind everyone’s back.

Just a suggestion on my part:

Despite all the memes surroudning them, the thing about Sakharov's Mordernist Tomsk is that they are not JUST about scientific progress, even if that is a large part of their focus. The same way that over in the US, John Glenn's presidency was not JUST about funding NASA and going to Mars. Sakharov also have a strong commitment towards liberal democracy and in ensuring the economic's development, with the Modernist, like the other salons, is not just political, but also have their own artistic style, which I think also deserves to be reflected.

Hence, I will keep your even largely the same, but add in a part with citizens lining up to cast their ballot using an electronic voting machine, a city with art deco style buildings of glass and steel, with new factories in the background. And before we zoom in to join the group of scientists, we pass by a room, with a group of engineers disassembling and studying a bunch of imported Japanese and American computers.

Of all the factions on this list, the only one I never played was Petlin and I guess it shows. You're probably right, let me explore a bit more and I throw in an updated version when I wrap up the Russian segment of my super event cinematic ideas.

Another suggestion from me, this time regarding Petlin's cutscene: I 100% agree with @Workable Goblin's assessment of him being a genuine and sincere reformer and republican.... He is also, for lack of a better term, a total 'Americaboo'. In fact, I will go as far as to say that Petlin have more in common with OTL Yeltsin, compared to TNO Yeltsin. While TNO Yeltsin does still engages in things like shock therapy privatisation in order to jumpstart the economy of Western Siberia, he came up with the idea on his own. While for Petlin, I don't think it is inaccurate or unfair to say that the guy worships the ground the Americans walked on. He admires and adorns everything from the West, and seek to bring his own take on 'American democracy/republicanism' over to Russia: From drafting their own version of the Bill of Rights, to passing their own Homesteading Act, to their military trained based on US army doctrines with CIA advisors attached to their ranks, etc. Heck, there was even an event about Petlin gushing over how delicious the food in America was after his first diplomatic visit over to the US as the president of he National Republic!

As such, I think Petlin's unification cutscene could have callbacks to famous American photos and imagines, such as Washington Crossing the Delaware, the Lunch Atop a Skyscraper, the signing of the Declaration of Independence, the Migrant Mother during the Great Depression, etc. But done with Russian people and in a Russian context. To show that for good or ill, Petlin is seeking to import the American way of doing things, from political to the economy, from military to culture, over to Russia, and that the country will be changed forever.

chankljp

Donor

Oh crap.... A permanent German presence in parts of Sub-Saharan Africa, combined with a 'moderate' Boer Republic that will be able to implement something on-par with OTL apartheid, but one that with German backing, will be able to last a long longer? This isn't good. But I supposed that anything besides a pro-OFN or a status quo ante bellum ceasefire wouldn't be good for the future of Africa.

I do have to wonder... Even if in an OFN ceasefire scenario, the Afrikaner-Abwehrfront/ Léopoldville Verwaltung will still be around. Will whoever managed to get out of the German Civil War be able to establish control over them as well?

I kinda hope that OFN mandate can do something similar. Totally focus on exploting African of it resource or “trying” to transit Africa into democracy.

One will be beneficial (as in you actually get return for your investment) and one will be morally right thing to do.

chankljp

Donor
I kinda hope that OFN mandate can do something similar. Totally focus on exploting African of it resource or “trying” to transit Africa into democracy.

One will be beneficial (as in you actually get return for your investment) and one will be morally right thing to do.

Yes. Sort of like how as Free England or Orenburg, you have the option to decriminalise LGBT relationships. It doesn't actually help you. In fact, you will effectively be spending political points to harm you own country's stability But from a RPing perspective, you are doing the right thing to make the TNO world a better place.

I just listen to this song and think that it could be good for post civil war Speer Germany anthem (though realistically they will use the old anthem). It is oddly fitting and ironic.

I just listen to this song and think that it could be good for post civil war Speer Germany anthem (though realistically they will use the old anthem). It is oddly fitting and ironic.
In the OTL Reunification period some people seriously went ahead and proposed a two-stanza German anthem: The third stanza of the Deutschlandlied, followed by the first stanza of Auferstanden aus Ruinen, sung to the Haydn/FRG tune.

It's all a bit Frankenstein's Hymn, but then again I can't fault them for wanting a more Reunification-y anthem, as opposed to OTL's Eastern-Annexation-y anthem.

Somewhat off topic but can I say that I'm not a big fan of the nuclear ending in TNO and how optimistic it is?

As someone on the hard left, it feels like a liberal or leftlib "reset button solves everything" message and ignores the fact that Nazism was the culmination of various ideas and "tropes" in the 19th century brought about by manifest destiny, imperialism and colonialism across the board, as well as the Armenian genocide. It did not emerge out of a vaccum.

Realistically, a future civilization in lieu of the lack of historical records and lessons develops the same ideas or various civilizations develop similar ideas and they inspire a madman down the line, Nazi-esque movements could very well take root again. "War, war never changes" is likelier than Kumbayyah I feel.

I can understand the nuclear ending being almost optimistic rather than "War never changes" is needed to keep things from going full grimdark(not that it hasn't for some already like a certain someone that made it his mission here to destroy this mod's name and one of the EaW devs), but I prefer to salvage a shitty situation. The world would never reach the standards of OTL 2020 earth by 2020, but I'd rather unfuck things to the best degree as Sablin, Schmidt, or the more benevolent US presidents than let it all burn and hope something better comes out of the ashes.

The post-apoc localization file has under 400 "endings" to choose from. I sifted through it just recently; most of them depict "life after the exchange chancing upon the past", with only a small fraction positing that the exchange was in any way a net good for mankind.

That said, for a lot of greytides, last November's crunch was a one-in-a-million opportunity to write events which don't quite fit with the setting's overarching themes. People who already write a set quota of "realistic" localization a week would understandably see the appeal of writing post- and post-post apoc for once. Should partly explain why there aren't that many events which meticulously describe how standards of living take a nosedive immediately after the end.

brooklyn99

Banned

"Enlightened Centrism is when you put dead Communists and Fascists in the same mass grave, and the more fash and commies you put in mass graves, the more enlightened you are" - Svetlana Stalina, before personally mowing down a large, huddled group of Passionariyy and KKP members with a machine gun, in a forest outside Syktyvkar, after her coup. Circa 1963

He is also, for lack of a better term, a total 'Americaboo'. In fact, I will go as far as to say that Petlin have more in common with OTL Yeltsin, compared to TNO Yeltsin. While TNO Yeltsin does still engages in things like shock therapy privatisation in order to jumpstart the economy of Western Siberia, he came up with the idea on his own. While for Petlin, I don't think it is inaccurate or unfair to say that the guy worships the ground the Americans walked on. He admires and adorns everything from the West, and seek to bring his own take on 'American democracy/republicanism' over to Russia: From drafting their own version of the Bill of Rights, to passing their own Homesteading Act, to their military trained based on US army doctrines with CIA advisors attached to their ranks, etc. Heck, there was even an event about Petlin gushing over how delicious the food in America was after his first diplomatic visit over to the US as the president of he National Republic!
I think this is a little unfair, because it's not really the impression I got while playing him. The impression I got was rather of someone who has become disillusioned with the fascist project and wants to turn Russia into a bastion of freedom and democracy, who naturally (especially given his position as Foreign Minister) looks abroad for inspiration and also naturally (again, given his position as Foreign Minister and the fact that even under his predecessor Magadan was specifically cultivating American contacts) turns to the United States, the only major democratic power in the world through most of the period (barring successful reformations in the fascist states). I read the "delicious food" notes as conveying more the deprivation and poverty of Russia following the warlord era than American fanboying--the equivalent of the common comments about how much food American supermarkets have compared to markets in country X, for instance.

I did a Stalina game yesterday, which was (somewhat like Petlin, but in a different way) rather satisfying. In my case the "authoritarian democracy" label was...perhaps somewhat mistaken, since I fairly won all three elections and embraced the left-wing of the PSD at the regional and superregional stage (I started off with them strong and the conservatives weak and decided to just go with it). This meant that I passed her own version of the Bill of Rights--it specifically called that out in the focus text--and passed a bunch of protections for minorities. I managed to peacefully unite with the West Siberian Republic under Yeltsin, unsurprisingly, but irritatingly wasn't able to do so with the Kingdom of Rus under Rurik II--negotiations started well and seemed to be going great, but then they fell apart at the last minute. Actually fighting wasn't too hard--I mean, I had been able to put together a full army of mechanized infantry, while he had a motley mix of foot infantry and motorized--but I was annoyed that (mostly) peacefully reuniting Russia fell apart at the last minute. One problem I did have was that I was constantly starved for political power because I managed to get Service By Requirement in place, which sucks up a ton of political power. I also hated her Sovereign Resources Act, because the huge hit to trade relations prevented me from importing rubber to feed my APC and (later) airplane factories, instead forcing me to waste CIC building synthetic refineries. Finally, I was annoyed because her diplomatic efforts were mostly failures--the United States didn't receive our delegation and none of the OFN countries or the democratic countries of Europe (the U.K. under Thatcher and Norway following a Milorg takeover) would give us the time of day. The only success we did have was getting the Finns to turn over Kola and release Eastern Karelia peacefully, and in getting the U.S. to use our ports.

(Incidentally, the fact that many of the Russian unifiers have focuses specifically to reach out to the United States and align themselves with it makes it especially odd that apparently the U.S. will intervene on behalf of the Germans during the invasion of Moscowien...)

Anyway, I think I'll do the Kosygin path next. I'd like to do the Bukharina path, but the left-wing and right-wing bits are too complicated for me.

@chankljp @DanielXie Something that bears noting about Korea.

Playing as Amur, Japan will and continue to be your best friend. The last focus of the foreign policy is obtaining some old Russian land that Manchukuo made off with.

Of course, there's always a catch for everything...

Hmmm. I wonder if this could be-
Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 6.36.33 AM.png

My God, it's him.
Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 6.38.54 AM.png

In hypothetical event that Rodzaevsky Russia can join co prosperity sphere how much chance of anti Japan side of GAW have of winning. Unify might of Russia might tip the scale in favour of Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.